If you don't like it here go somewhere else - a rant

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (75 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 10 years ago

Seriously folks, all there  has been here lately is ,'why am I only making pennies on my articles',.  Did you really think that you would come to a content site and become a millionaire overnight?  Really?  I'm happy with making $5 a month which means someone out there likes my hubs. 

This is a place to hone writing skills and to me I get thrilled when I see that someone left a comment on one of my articles. I am not the only writer here that enjoys HP.  I make my money writing SEO articles for other people and I work my ass off from 6am until 10pm every day of the week because I promise a 24 hour turn-a-round.  Hey, I'm making enough to live on and have some left over.  I'm not getting rich writing, but what writer really ever does as it takes years.  Geez. 

This is a place to socialize 'not personally of course' with other people who enjoy writing.  We support each other and bitch at each other.  Hey, sounds like life to me.  The most important part is the support and criticism; the good, bad and ugly.  That how we all learn and get better.  We don't personally know each other here, but yet, we support each other here.

I entered the first writing contest in my life and amazingly I won.  Wow, Really?  You Lie.  My prize was a book written by a fellow hubber.  We don't know each other, we've never met in person, we live thousands of miles away. We hardly ever speak to each other. Yet, a little birdie told me that my prize, the book, was lame and the winner, me, was a personal friend.  Personally, I don't think so!  It was the best prize I could have ever received.(It's a hilarious book by the way) and I don't know Bill from Adam.

So, if you don't like the pennies you are receiving here do what I do and work your ass off writing SEO articles for other people so you can put gas in the car and make your rent.  Or, better yet, go get a real job.  Guess what, you still aren't going to be a millionaire.

HP is a place to have fun and write and enjoy making other people happy.

1. Klush profile image56
      Klushposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"making other people happy."  What is that??

1. profile image0
        Sarra Garrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

you know, smiles?

1. Klush profile image56
          Klushposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How do you do that on HubPages?

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One heck of a post there! You are right. What I really like about HubPages is they enable me to contribute to society. Not kidding. Every time someone reads one of our hubs, we give that reader either knowledge or entertainment. If that isn't a contribution to society, then I don't know what is.

1. profile image0

Exactly PDM.  We are here to help others and to get shit off our fingers, uh, minds.  big_smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you can blame them, Sarra.  As LiveWithRichard says, there are thousands of pages on the net telling people how they can make their fortune on HubPages.  In fact, judging by the flood of Indian and Pakistani members recently, I wonder if there's someone there offering an "amazing course" on how to do it!  So people arrive here with expectations and that's not their fault.

1. HollieT profile image79
        HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if in the long term it might hurt HP to just allow authors from countries where Google is particularly selective when it comes to granting Adsense accounts, to publish freely. Well, freely as in boot camp is the only initial safeguard against spammers and other low quality content.

But, forgive my suspicious mind, how much would it cost to outsource the first five articles to someone else? I know there's automatic filters after the first five articles and QAP- but this site still has lots of spun, nonsensical garbage available to search engines, surely Google is looking for reductions in this type of content from HP  Would it surprise you if there, potentially, may be something built into G's algos to penalise sites with lots of authors from specific countries?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Well, they do and they don't.  As you'll have noticed from the many forum threads, Hubbers from those countries quickly realize they've got to wait six months to get their Adsense account, and can't earn any money in the meantime - so only the genuine ones stick it out.

1. HollieT profile image79
            HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, thinking about it again I suppose Adsense is the key. But having said that, there still seems to be a lot of hubs written in broken English- Just wondering how G might view that.

2. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 10 years ago

I do enjoy a nice rant.

But for real, my inherent laziness prevents me from understanding why people get so worked up.

Go embed yourself in a fire ant nest in the Amazon rainforest while loudly singing "It's a Small World After All" for three weeks and then make a big deal about Hubpages.

I dare you.

1. profile image0

big_smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

The negativity does get old.  I'm amazed at the people who think they can come here and demand changes. 

Off to enjoy Memorial Day.  smile

1. livewithrichard profile image71
      livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sure does.... and I see no difference between the 'I'm not making any money' rant and the 'I'm not here to make money' rant.

We all came here for our own reasons and some of us came in when there was real money to be earned... like enough to pay all your bills and then some... but that has dried up with the changing face of this business... Hubpages income may not pay all my bills anymore but it still affords me a vacation or 2 each year and way more that $5 a month.

Seriously, there are over a MILLION competing pages of content for the keywords "how to make money with hubpages" so you will have to forgive those people that read that OLD content and believe what has been written is still true.

1. profile image0

I want a vacation too  smile  I'll have to read your hubs better and see what I'm doing wrong  lol.  But hey, I'm proud of my $5/month.

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

With you right down the line.  I've even got one of those "make money with HP" hubs that I've thought about deleting but haven't because it does give some tips and is as much about developing traffic trends as making money.

Well, you could rewrite it to give an accurate picture of the current situation

1. wilderness profile image94

I would, but...it was written as a very general guideline of what might be expected in traffic for the first few months.  It's messed up now with HPads in the picture for income generation, but the experiences of learning and growing traffic are, I think, still quite valid.

I just took a look - I'm assuming you're talking about the "partnering with HubPages" Hub.   Most of it is still relevant but perhaps it's worth adding a postcript updating to the present day, and how your earnings are doing now?

1. profile image0

nope a totally different hub altogether MW.  What was said in it shouldn't have been.  Not naming names and the article didn't name names but it did name names or rather a certain incident.  We here at HP shouldn't be 'slamming' each other in any way shape or form.  No matter if someone thinks that a certain 'prize' is lame or not.....it should not be brought up and should be kept to themselves.

2. profile image0

Amen

3. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Happy Memorial Day holidays US hubbers 
      Lest we forget...

1. profile image0

thank you Pearl Diver!!!  We shall never forget!

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Forums are one area where adding even more negativity to the existing negativity does not create a positive--strangely enough.

5. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

I hate that I know who your little birdie is.  Here's why:  I respect you both.  My encounters with you have always been pleasant and educational and fun.  My encounters with the birdie have been the same.  smile  I hate when two people I respect are in disagreement. 

I get irritated as all hell by the constant whining and moaning in the forums about how traffic is down, the money is crap, no one on the site can really write, HP staff is peopled with baby-eating orcs, and blah, blah, blah.  And as one who visits the forums regularly and often, I can assure you - the whining IS constant.  BUT, sometimes - I agree with the sentiments.  Just because someone is whining and irritating doesn't mean they aren't right. 

Here's the rub: if a person came to HP expecting that they would make money with their writing, then it's reasonable for them to get frustrated when that goal isn't as easily achieved as some folks made it sound like it would be.  It's not entirely unusual that they might become disillusioned along the way.  And HP doesn't tell you that you can earn partial pennies by writing at their site and expect to reach the payout threshold two years from the day you sign up - they just say that you can sign up, write about things you love and make money.     

All that being said, if you enjoy writing, write.  If you enjoy writing at HP, by all means, continue.  UGC sites are not for everyone.  There is, however, a huge social component to HP, as you mentioned.  Sadly, I am not a UGC kind of writer.  I don't write about a lot of things that people search for online.  It's a lesson I learned fairly quickly after signing up at HP.  It doesn't hurt my feelings, and I've not lost hope about ultimately being a successful writer. 

But I love HP and won't leave till the internet disappears.  smile  I like the community, I like interacting with the writers here and I appreciate the platform.  I don't expect to make a fortune.  I haven't reached payout in the 2+ years I've been here, but I didn't plan to make money when I came, and in that regard, I've been neither pleasantly surprised nor terribly disappointed.

But I think that through things such as the hub that rubbed you wrong, and your subsequent rant, we can learn a lot.  First, that a person's expectation of frustration about something is not necessarily a mark of their disrespect for the individual personalities involved.  And, that everyone has a right to their own opinion and a right to share it if they choose. 

Sorry, I'm rambling, so I'll wrap it up with this last thought.  I don't really think the orcs on staff at HP eat babies.  wink

1. wilderness profile image94

I dunno - maybe they ran out of babies and that's why Simone is leaving?  If we pool our funds and stash a couple dozen in the corner would she stay?

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OMG!  I bet you're right!  I'll throw in a buck or two!

smile

2. profile image0

The 'birdie' and I kissed and made up at least which is the adult thing to do.  That's not what set me off.  It's all the negativity of the newbies who think you can make money overnight.  It takes months to years.  I won't leave here unless they shut the site down.

1. profile image0

*claps*  Woo hoo!  I love it when people make up!   big_smile

It's funny, because when I talked later, I pretty much targeted that same group of folks...the newer ones who've  made no real effort and are waiting for the accolades, fame, and fortune to fall into their laps and then ripping apart the site and its contributors in the forums whenever they can when it doesn't happen overnight. 

Warm fuzzies for HubPages and my wonderful and forgiving HP friends!

1. profile image0

it is the newbies, the 'babies' (maybe they should be sent to the HP office to be eaten) who write one article in 3 months and expect to see a $1,000,000 check in the mail.  Geez.

6. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I think the whiners about traffic being down are people here that once earned good money on Hubpages and now don't. When you were earning good money and suddenly your income is cut in half in a day, yes, you need to vent. If I was only making $5 a month and it got cut to $2.50, I wouldn't be upset either.

Sara, I'm not pointing this at you. I love you as a writer. I'm just explaining why some of these people were venting. Everyone that gets tired of reading the negative posts, know that they will see them on certain threads. Do like I do and don't read what you don't want to read. That is why I skip the religious and political threads. I don't like to argue.

1. profile image0

Oh, Barbara, if that were only the case!

I don't get grumpy about the people who are venting legitimately.  I get tired of the people who sign up and flounce four weeks later because the two hubs they posted yesterday haven't amassed them a fortune.  The people who complain about 'poor quality' hubs, but can't string a few words into anything that resembles a coherent sentence.  And I get a bit up in it about the people who tell anyone to like it or leave it.  That's all.  I like Sarra and respect her.  I thought her chronicle series on homelessness was excellent.  I love the birdie to bits.  And, like I said, just because I'm irritated by someone and think that they're whining doesn't mean they aren't right.  I understand the people who express frustration because they HAVE followed all of the advice and they're not seeing results.  The others are the ones who furrow my brow.  That's all.

smile

2. profile image0

I do, but I created this monster.  Guess the younger generation is getting to me.  My traffic goes up and down too.  $5 isn't going to get me rich but I'm happy with it.  Do I want more sure!  I'll get there eventually, maybe.  But the thing is be happy with what you have, it's the little things in life that are important.  $5 is $5, I'm not going to complain.

7. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 10 years ago

I think it's very presumptuous to assume that everyone is here for the same reason, and has to act the same way as the OP. I write online to pay my bills. If I didn't think that HubPages still has the potential to make money, I wouldn't waste my time here.

I know this great neighborhood bar where I can hang out and socialize.

8. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Im just happy to have someone to talk to... Im just that pathetic. I would probably pay you all to post here. smile

1. profile image0

You're not any more pathetic than the rest of us, Beth, promise.  smile

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thats the nicest thing anyones ever said to me. wink

1. profile image0

Hehe.

9. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

OK. As the birdie I suppose I better show my sorry face.  My rant page did not set out to identify anyone, nor did it name names.  As Sarra has accepted, I think, it was not aimed at her.  It was not 'aimed' at anyone.

It was a frustrated piece of free writing for the hell of it.  Slightly irritated by the forums all is good message I took it out on my own page.  I feel better for it.

I would not name a fellow Hubber in a piece, unless to praise them, because I believe and try to adhere to, that which makes HP special.  And that is its support for all.

I do, often, say the 'wrong' thing.  Its part of who I am, what I do.  I don't want to go the straight line because everyone else has already covered it.

So, once again.  It was not about Sarra and her competition.  I didn't even know she had won a competition.

Does that cover my ass?

1. profile image0

Maybe Im on drugs, but I don't see another post from Mark on here.

1. profile image0

I don't think you're on drugs, but if you are, I hope they're good ones.

Nope, this is Mark's first post.  He was posting in response to mine.  smile

2. profile image0

I don't think there's a need to cover your ass.  You didn't mention anyone by name in that hub.  FFS, you may not be the birdie.  I'm the only one who made that assumption.

At the end of the day, you have a right to vent your very valid frustration.  Sarra has a right to vent hers.  There is value in both points of view, IMO.   

Besides, your criticism was aimed at the process, not the people following it.

That's what I think, anyway.

smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Motown.  Not for the first time.  I do try to be good, honest, but every now and then...

1. CMHypno profile image81
          CMHypnoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I fall apart.  A total eclipse of the heart!  lol!

Cheer up Mark, I know that it can be frustrating but I decided one day not to worry too much about traffic, forums etc and have been a lot happier since.

Events like traffic going up and down have no meaning other than the one we give them, that's why there are always going to be different opinions, rants and flash points.

Chiill and enjoy the rain that is once again sweeping across the UK lol! smile

Lol - CM.  I am not really that down - writing can be an act, a piece of theatre - a feeling in that moment.   It helps that the damn thing has got more traffic than my usual - I should make a habit of it.

My next page will be a completely positive look on life and how wonderful it all is.

3. profile image0

Mark you and I already kissed and made up.  I just thought it was too much of a coincidence of what you wrote in your rant hub.  Rants are good it blows off steam.  I'm blowing off steam.  I was hurt.  I'm tired of people being so bitchy and wanting more money.    Hell, if these youngins want more money work for Fiverr like I do and bust your ass writing SEO articles.  I write from 5am until 10pm and make enough money to live on, and, I'm improving my writing skills at the same time.  Then come here and write a stellar article that may take off with 1,000 views per day.  The younger generation wants something for nothing.  Writing isn't easy as we all know.  It takes years for someone to have a Best Selling book. 

HP is a fun place to be with great people.  We laugh, cry and go aww at what our fellow hubbers write.  We all learn things that we have never heard of before.  That's what this place is all about.

Sara, my point was that it's not necessarily the younger generation wanting something for nothing - a lot of these newbies have been promised something for nothing.   Not by HubPages, but by unscrupulous people persuading them to sign up under their referrals, or selling them "courses" on how to make money on HP.

Think back before you discovered HubPages - did you know places like Fiverr even existed?  Most of these newbies probably don't either.   It does get frustrating to see all these "I'm making pennies" threads, but I feel more sorry for them than annoyed.  Think back to the excitement you felt when you first discovered this site and imagine your disappointment if it hadn't lived up to your initial hopes and dreams.

Finally, it's great that we have such a wonderful community and so many Hubbers see HubPages as their online family.   I appreciate that aspect of the site greatly myself, even though I'm earning a fraction of what I used to earn here.  But it's not what the site is about.  HubPages is a business and its primary aim is to make money for itself and its authors.  It encourages its authors to write to make money because that's what the site needs to survive.  So by all means, lets celebrate the community but let's not start denigrating those who are here to make money from their writing.

1. profile image0

I'm not attempting to degnigrate anyone here.  I think HP is a wonderful place to write.  Great people are here who help you along with your writing skills all of the time.   Everyone here makes all different kinds of income from my piddly  $5 a month to being able to pay your bills.  I say hurray for them.  It is sad that the newbies are sheeple who think they can pay off their student loans (and maybe some of them do) but no one is going to get famous overnight.  Life takes time, patience and understanding.  I've got that down pat.  (but then again I have gray hair now too) .  I love HP, it allow me to be creative and I love the comments, good and bad on my articles as it helps me grow as a better writer and person. 

As I wrote an article the other day about work ethic and the American economy.  When you have employees who don't have work ethic, businesses suffer and end up having to pay out more money for constant training of new employees.  Without work ethic you aren't going to get very far in this world.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
          Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HubPages themselves say on the first page that we will make money, although the amount is not guaranteed. It's true that many have said it is not a get rich quick scheme. 

But I think that it is not unreasonable to think that you will make something around minimum wage.  After making this a full time job when I was between jobs, I found that this site makes nothing near minimum wage.  There really isn't anyplace you can go to get a more realistic expectation, except to actually try writing articles and see what happens.

1. profile image0

Amen

10. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 10 years ago

It's great, though, that each forum thread has a title... and if titled accurately, anyone can avoid reading any thread that appears negative. Yay!

Of course people are going to mention when their traffic and/or earnings down - they need to know if it's a site thing or a personal thing.

And yes, of course people are going to say something when they find their Hub has been copied and/or scraped. That's important for most of us to know.

All you gotta do, is avoid those threads.

1. profile image0

You make a valid point.  You make another great one by saying "...it titled accurately..."  Not all negativity is useless, though, and not all valid dissent is negative.  That's why I still read some of those threads.  I generally only comment on the ones like this where all of the participants have reasonable and legitimate gripes, but maybe the passion with which they expressed them has ruffled some feathers unintentionally.

11. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 10 years ago

Your tone is very denigrating to anyone who seems to view this as a profitable business. I did pay pay my college bills using my website and now I pay my mortgage. I'm hoping that HubPages becomes part of that equation. It's okay if you're not into money. But please don't insult people who are. I work very hard every day to figure out what works and what doesn't.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1.

Some of use are here for income and when that income goes down and down we become discouraged and less than completely happy.

Others are new and if they have unrealistic expectations maybe that is because Hubpages creates them.  HP do, after all, advertised on employment sites like Monster--which suggests you can make serious income here.

2. profile image0

let me explain something.  It was mentioned about a certain writing contest and the prize that was given for the winner of such writing contest.  What was a wonderful prize to the recipient - me - was not pushed down as an idiotic thing but it also put down the person who put on the contest. 

What is a wonderful thing for one person and not for another should be kept to themselves and not be included in an overall hub about how HP sucks.  (I am not the author of that article). 

That's what this forum is all about.  Good for you that you pay your mortgage and college loans off of a website and 'hopefully' have HP put into that equasion.  What I am saying is DON'T SLAM SOMEONE'S GIFT FOR DOING SOMETHING GOOD AND EXPLAIN IT LIKE IT SHOULD BE USED AS TOILET PAPER.    I was very proud of winning that contest and publically it was shoved up my ......well, you know.

3. profile image0

If you wrote something that was considered a good piece of work and won something for it and another hubber tore your moment of glory into a piece of bits you'd be upset too.  It was not a coincidence that was written in that hub.  Hubs should NOT attack other hubbers no matter how you feel about them. 

GEEZ people, none of us know each other here other than what we write or comment about.  What gives anyone here the right to write a hub slamming fellow hubbers.  My moment of glory was shoved where the sun doesn't shine. 

I've been here for 3 years and I am totally glad that people who write here are getting a passive income enough to pay bills and mortgages.  Maybe someday I will get to that calibur of writing or find the right niche.  In the meantime I'm still  here and I'm still writing and entertaining and educating others.

YOU try to walk in my shoes for 1 mile, you wouldn't get 5 steps.

12. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

Does make sense though I had been ranting about the pennies earn everyday. I guess I should take it slow. Earning big bucks is not an overnight success. I had been in HP for 3 years and already received 4x USD $50 payout. Shouldn't complain much.

13. profile image0
    KFushaposted 10 years ago

I have to admit that when I first joined HubPages, a few years ago, I did it with the vague hope that I would be able to make a decent monthly income. Nowadays, I am truly happy even when a single person reads my work and takes the time to leave a comment. I realized this is a place for people to exert their passion for writing, not a get-rich-quick scheme.

Nonetheless, I am not discrediting anyone's ability to generate a profitable income on here. It is very well possible and I wish the best of luck to anyone who is trying to reach their financial goals by writing online. However, it is not my cup of tea anymore. Now, I write simply because I love to write.

14. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Nice reply until you put the jab at the end. (Because clearly none of us are as courageous and resilient as you are or understand real hardships or challenges.)

Negativity feeds negativity.  If you don't like it, don't feed it.

1. profile image0

psychskinner you definately couldn't walk in my combat boots for 5 steps.  I no where near perfect neither is anyone else who walks this planet.  We have all been through different things in our lives.  It how words and actions hurt those who we don't know what has gone on in their lives.    Yes, I am courageous and resilient when most people would just lay down and say "I Quit". 

<promotional link removed>

15. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

Ok. I'm back.

I regret making the cheap shot that was misconstrued.  It was NOT aimed at Sarra but it is perfectly understandable why she might think it was.

For that I absolutely and unequivocably apologise.  She had every right to feel aggrieved.

The problem with any post on a forum is that people go this way and that without realising what it is about - or wishing to score their own particular points.

Sarra - I am truly sorry about this nonsense.  There is no point in me reworking what I did, in fact I think it is better just left. Then people can make their own minds up rather than some hasty editing and an innocent - what me? - face.

Or perhaps better still - we might all move on to discussing Hubber scores.

1. profile image0

Thank you Mark.  You are very humble and I appreciate it.  We all have our days, that's a fact.  This did get out of hand with people who went off topic and didn't understand what occurred.  I do believe now that it was an innocent 'mistake' as you were rather ranting on your hub. 

I just posted a new hub on Respect for others. We as professionals and adults need to be more aware of respect for others.

Thank you for explaining this to people.  I shouldn't have made this forum, however, your rant made me want to do the same. 

I glad Misty is doing much better.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't followed this, but I would love to see a 'what me?' stick man image.... pleaaaase, Mark.  big_smile

(I don't think Sarra will mind. smile)

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8041940_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

Does that one on the right have lipstick? Where are the curves you usually attribute to girls? Plus you gave her your haircut. I submit you reused a pic of a boy (possibly you) and drew red lips on it. (Im being helpful again.)

Look.  A five minute drawing on request before I do the vacuuming.  She is not a great looker, but I am not going there after the recent profile picture debacle.

1. profile image0

haha, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about with the whole, 'writing about other ppl' or profile pic debacles.  Just ask ATM, I need everything explained to me. It's not worth your time, honestly. Just pat me on the head, smile and nod. It has the same affect for me.

OK. Well done dear.

Now.  I MUST do the vacuuming.

2. profile image0

Oh, you didn't know I was an alligator catcher - same gator by the way all puffed up then humbled. This sucker chased me that morning in my own back yard while walking the dogs.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8042689_f248.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8042699_f248.jpg

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol, love it!   Thanks!  Love the little swag with the lipstick girl.  big_smile

Thanks for the excuse to do one Rebekah!

2. profile image0

LOL.   It's great!  Mark need to make a hub about her.   There's an idea Mark.  Go for it.  I know you'll do her proud  smile

3. profile image0

LMAO  Hey Mark, can you send me that pic in an email?  I'd love to have it since it's signed by you....ha ha ha

4. profile image0

I'm SERIOUS.  LMAO  I can't stop laughing.

2. profile image0

big_smile  ROFLMAO

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)