First hub turned down

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. copywriterbill profile image60
    copywriterbillposted 10 years ago

I've written my first hub.  Maybe I don't understand the purpose.  I have a topic and I would think the best way to engage readership is with quality content and quality links on the subject.

My website is a source for pertinent info, is it a problem to link my website or does hub pages consider it spamming.  I see this blogging as opportunity to add searched to my website and vice versa.  Am I looking at this all wrong?

Based on the criteria, this is the only thing that stands out as a problem with my hub page.  I welcome any input so I can move forward.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

copywriterbill, There are several reasons other than quality that will cause a hub to be idled or unpublished. You can find the guidelines in The Learning Center.
      Read this http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/publishing-standards Make the changes needed and try again.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You mention "this blogging" - I wonder if that's your issue.

HubPages is not a blogging site. If you write blog posts here, they're unlikely to meet the quality standards. HubPages is more like an online magazine, and the site wants Hubs which are long, informative magazine articles, well laid out and well illustrated.

Write some Hubs like that, and you can link to your website without fear (although you are limited to two links in any single Hub).  Using Hubs to drive traffic to your website can be a good strategy.

copywriterbillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That gives me a better understanding as to the format to follow.  Thanks 

I wasn't looking at it like a magazine article.  In my case like a travel writer article.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Hmm, not sure what you mean by that.  The main consideration is length - you need at least 500 words, and some Hubbers have done research suggesting that the best performing Hubs are in the 800+ region.

What I meant was the way the content should be.  I had planned on using reviews as information with current events going on and help people plan for things to do and save money.   That's how I wrote the first hub which was rejected..  It was over 700 words. 

Thinking in terms of article writing.  The reviews are informational and then add more content to educate them about areas of Myrtle Beach, maybe some history storyline, etc  I could writer 3 reviews a day and have enough content for 2 years..

Without specifically being told why it was turned down, it leaves the whole hub as subject for change.  As I write more, I'm sure it will make more sense.  I plan on rewriting the current hub tomorrow.

Thanks again for your input.
            Bill

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Open the Hub in edit mode and take a look - is there any kind of message about why it was rejected?   It will likely be at the top, and there may be an area you can click on to get more details.

If it was rejected in that it was unpublished, then you must have broken a rule (as opposed to simply not passing the quality standards).  That is likely to be a small thing, not a question of rewriting at all.   It may be that you linked more than twice to your website, or you included an advertisement which was prohibited, or your content wasn't 100% unique. Identify the problem first before you waste time rewriting.

Or is it just that your Hub isn't Featured?

I do not see any indication of a specific broken rule.  It said I had no violations when I clicked on the button.  I do have a video showing how to get a savings card which I do sell and it does link to my website although that link doesn't have my website name in the copy.  Maybe that's the problem.  I did reference my website in a headline but did not make it an actual link to see the calendar of events in Myrtle Beach.  There are other websites I planned on linking to help people save money that have nothing to do with me.

I will try tweaking a few things and leave the reviews in place.  My score did raise from 55 yesterday to 70 at the moment without any changes made. ???

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 10 years ago

To learn what Hubs are supposed to be, and to get a rundown of the rules make sure you read all of the following,

http://hubpages.com/faq/
    http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/

If your website isn't closely relevant to your Hub topic, the Hub can be unpublished for including irrelevant links.  If your goal here is to create high-quality content, you may do well.  If you goal is to get backlinks for some other web property, that's one of the fastest ways to get your account here shut down.

3. copywriterbill profile image60

Thank you both for the input.  It sounds like the sole purpose of this is to write great content to drive traffic to my hub for the purpose of getting clicks on advertisers on my hub page only.  I love to write but in the end I'm doing this to make money and just want to be clear.  My own website is an information website that earns income from google adsense, amazon and other affiliates as well as paid ad space.  It would seem to me that if I could send traffic both ways, more traffic will show up at the hub with more opportunities to have the hub ads clicked.  It's simple business strategy but I want to do the right thing.

My content is quality and review oriented that I plan to write.  If I don't include links, would that be allowed.

4. copywriterbill profile image60

My website is very similar to my hub topic but I can separate them by not using links.  It may mean I'm competing with myself for the same keywords.

5. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 10 years ago

Is it so bad to have your hub and your website in top spots? That just means two chances instead of one to get traffic.

6. copywriterbill profile image60

No.  You're right.  It would be a positive thing.  I was just making a comment.  This is the first day seeing this opportunity.  I'm just trying to gauge the value of Hub Pages before I embark on a long term strategy and many man hours.  If I were to do it, I would write a hub every single day.  I would hope google finds the consistency and as a compilation of content make it an authority type information source.

My choice is to build this up or add a daily blog to my website.  I like the idea of another source of possible revenue.  If I like what I see, I could add other hub themes down the road.  I could link my website and send traffic to the daily posts, just not backlink it to my website. 

The part that perplexes me is they tell to correct things and don't tell you what to fix.  Being new to it, I may interpret things differently and fix the wrong things.  It sure would be nice to get a straight answer.

Thanks for your input and I welcome any critique...

7. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 10 years ago

Perhaps write each place every other day. Then you'll be building up two streams of revenue! I wouldn't interlink them. Then if one goes down, maybe the other one will go up! I don't think of HubPages as a backlink farm. I think of it as a place to write content. It's my favorite platform. I love the way the Hubs look.

8. copywriterbill profile image60

I have revenue from my website of course never enough.  This is my other stream.  I have over 140 pages of content and growing with reviews at the moment.

I agree with the way the format looks.  That's what got my attention as a way to benefit my current website.

I hear you saying you like to write content.  Do you just write to write or due you aspire to make money from your writing?  I'm thinking in business terms. If I just wanted to write, I could write more self published books.  Rare to make money with that but lots of satisfaction and it helps with the passion to write.

I found the page that shows the score and violations.  It said no violations found but the score is 55.  It that content?  That would be disappointing without an explanation.

9. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Welcome to the site, Bill - it sounds like you know how to write for the Internet, and it's good of you to run the traps on how HubPages works.  I don't know if anyone mentioned this (I just scanned the thread quickly), but if you have more than one link to the same site, or if you don't really give any information in your hub (but require a 'click' to another site for the substantive information), that will get you flagged when the hub is reviewed.  It's easy to fix both of those issues. 

Also - if you don't have pictures, or if there's only one text capsule, that can cause it to be kicked back. 

Many people use HubPages to help drive traffic to other websites, so that is not an issue, but the site wants to ensure whatever published here has intrinsic value, too.

Best of luck!  And it's good to have you here!

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll be making adjustments later tonight.

10. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

So is it published but not featured, or is it unpublished?

If it is unpublished there is always a specific reason.  It is in the right column in edit mode, or the top in view mode. If you click on it there are more details.

It is unpublished.  I didn't see any specific details.   I just made some changes to it and I'll wait to see the results.  A lot of what I will be doing is reviews so vacationers can find places to go in Myrtle Beach.  Does hub pages consider this an advertisement.  My reviews are genuine and not affiliated with any advertising.  It's to pass on info and I do add links to their business for the vacationers.

11. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

If you don't see a specific reason you haven't looked in the right place.  It really is easier to find the reason and just fix that.

I looked on the edit page and is said summary was missing so I went to edit it and it was there.  I clicked on broken links but they all work.  I did have the website, not as a link in the sub heading and adjusted that.  I know it takes up to 24 hours after edit so now I'll wait to see where I stand.  I hit one button FEATURED and it said -  Congratulations! Our Quality Assessment Process has chosen to Feature this Hub because of its quality and engagement metrics.

So now I wait.

Everyone's advice has been helpful and reading there many help buttons.  If this works, I think I have a pretty good idea on what to do going forward.  I'm reading other hubs as guidelines as well.  We'll see.  Thanks

12. copywriterbill profile image60

Thanks to everyone for your help.  It is now published and I have just completed my second hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)