What is is more valuable: updating several hubs or starting a new one?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Room of My Own profile image90
    Room of My Ownposted 10 years ago

I'm sure all of us have felt time-crunched while working on our websites, articles and HubPages. If you have a limited amount of time, what do you think will make your site more valuable in the eyes of Google (i.e. increase traffic): writing a brand new, high word count hub or spending the same amount of time updating multiple hubs with smaller amounts of fresh content?

If you have a limited amount of time to work on your page and you want to increase your traffic, where do you like to focus your energy? Thanks in advance for contributing to the discussion.

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It really depends on whether those existing Hubs have potential- whether they contribute something of unique value and have odds of beating other already-available online articles on the same subject (and that would be accessed by searching for the same keywords).

If those existing Hubs cannot be beat, it's best to create a Hub that addresses an entirely new subject (ideally, one that contributes unique value to the online world and has good odds of beating the competition).

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you have Hubs that don't get much traffic, there may or may not be any point in updating them.  You need to do some keyword research - is anyone looking for those topics?  If not, there's no point in spending any more time on them.  If there is search traffic, how many other articles are there already - if there's already lots of competition, it's probably not worth spending any more time on them. 

If a Hub is doing well, it may be best not to tinker with it - you may destroy the magic!  Write another Hub on the same topic instead, and interlink them.

3. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes it's just a little change that helps.

I have one hub that was unfeatured for traffic.  I literally did nothing but change two words in it's title and it's getting 200 views a month now. (Thank you title tuner)

Not that 200 views per month is anything to write home about smile

Good luck. smile

2. profile image87
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 10 years ago

I would work on new hubs if I had limited time. I am currently aiming to write and publish a hub a week and if I have any time over I will re-write a hub. 

In terms of how Google would see it, I think it would depend on just how much of a re-write it is. I am working on a re-writeat the moment that is very extensive with new photos and almost 100% new text. I think Google's spiders would almost consider that a new site.

1. Jean Bakula profile image94
      Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes you don't have to change an old hub that much to make it popular. If it is one of your first hubs, you probably learned a lot of tricks by now. Some of my older ones have better scores just because I updated the pictures, or wrote a new paragraph to keep it current. When I began we were allowed to take pictures from Google Images, so that's my biggest issue. As I go back I get all new images for the older hubs. But sometimes I get a new idea about the layout, and before I know it, the hub looks so much better. I don't know if it works for everyone, but I notice if a hub isn't getting love, I feature it as one of the 6 we can feature on our Profile page. I had one that was unfeatured, and with some new pics and by showing it on my Profile page, in one day it was saved and is featured again.

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

It depends. Say I have two hubs:

1. How To Lose Weight
    2. How To Wash Flease Out Of A Scottish Dog's Hair

The first one, I could probably throw 100 backlinks at it, hours of tweaks etc, and it would still never get good traffic (as it's a highly saturated topic and thousands of older and higher quality articles are likely out there.) The second one, I might be ranking top of Google for, but if only 3 people a month want to know how to wash a scotty dog, it's just as pointless as the first hub.

I find the best approach is to make a hub that works BETTER. As shown above, some topics are too saturated or too niche to ever get traffic, no matter how much you tweak. If you ARE getting traffic, that's usually a sign that you can get MORE traffic.

So I tweak my high traffic hubs and mostly ignore the low traffic ones. And write lots more hubs - I'd rather spend 10 hours writing 10 new hubs which could POTENTIALLY get great traffic than spend those ten hours promoting or tweaking a hub which seems to not be going anywhere, anyway.

1. profile image0
      Ethan Greenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Please, please, please teach me how to write 10 hubs in 10 hours;-)

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some of the old hands used to do a "30 minute hub challenge". They were fun smile

Do you have a good typing speed?

1. profile image0

No way! Wow - did any of them ever do any well?

My typing speed is pretty good. I don't think I'd make a very attractive secretary though...

Well for me, writing a hub is quite easy. Once you learn how to set them out and just go for it (I like to write 3-5 at once), it's easier.

Insert all your capsules, with subtitles and image boxes. Then fill it in once you have the general layout in place.

1. profile image0

I guess that's one way of doing it in a nice organized fashion. Was kind of hoping you were about to reveal where I could get a magic typing wand from though;-)

I have no idea... but once I get on a roll, I need to get all the information out, so it just pours! lol

4. profile image0
    Ethan Greenposted 10 years ago

Personally I take it in turns so I don't get bored. One day I'll write a new article here, or on my websites; another day I'll go back and review struggling articles and pages. It feels different to do each thing, so it keeps me happy.

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

I have a very limited amount of time to devote to hubbing.  I am trying to focus on keyword themes and update the hubs I have that are grouped accordingly. If one has the proper time to publish new, unique material that can possibly rank well, great.  But it requires looking closely at your competition.

I recently read an article that stated that, content without value is spam.  I love that.  Who wants to read another article that's already been spammed to death because of popular keywords...
    I would rather update hubs that add value to the themes I've chosen to write about, and that already rank relatively well.  I am going to publish new material over the summer when I have more time, but I've given a lot of thought to what it will be and how it will be incorporated into what I already have published.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The answer is in your stats page.  I spend a lot of time analyzing my numbers, rereading hubs, etc.  Often I find that my article was a really good one, but there are so many others out there written by credible sources, that my hub does not stand a chance...so I get rid of it.  In other circumstances I find that I can compete, but I need better keywords or better titles or more information.  Those I keep and work on.  If my improvements do not bring them up within a reasonable amount of time, I get rid of them also.  My goal is to create a solid body of work that is not dragged down by poorly performing hubs, and I think it is working for me..but it is a slow, painstaking process and good analysis is the tool I use.

6. EndaMac profile image77
    EndaMacposted 10 years ago

I think it depends on a couple of things really:

For what purpose am I writing
    How much time I have available to write

If my purpose is to make hubs that will get read and make me some money then I tend to favour new material in low competition markets where my hub has a chance of being found.

My other hubs that I write to express myself I will update if I have something of value to add to one of them.

The good news is that over a couple of years you do start to figure out where to spend your limited time available and if not, then you should think about that a lot.

7. anagham profile image60
    anaghamposted 10 years ago

Even I'm confused about this one...Because I updated a hub which was not featured due to lack of quality, but even after I updated it, made several changes, it still is not featured.. So its bettet to concentrate on starting new hubs..

8. Good Guy profile image84
    Good Guyposted 10 years ago

I only tweaked hubs that have been downgraded to "unfeatured" to make it "featured" again.  The rest of the time I concentrate on writing new hubs.

9. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

with 110 hubs and 125 views per day, i don't think so writing new hubs would bring in any traffic either. I would focus on the un featured hubs by updating them. Hopefully the traffic will go back to normal.

1. Good Guy profile image84
      Good Guyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

From my experience, if my hubs are not attracting traffic, no amount of editing will increase traffic drastically.  The more likely reason will be the title/article is not search friendly or not a popular topic.

Good Guy:  From your numbers, I have no doubt that what you are saying works.  However, I have had it happen a number of times that I rework a low performing hub, and it then improves significantly.  Once I see this does not work I then delete the hub.  It is the only way that makes sense to me.

10. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 10 years ago

I've gradually moved over the past year or so from spending most of my time creating new stuff to updating and editing old material.  It's a pity as writing new stuff is more fun, but I feel it's necessary.

Paul, I totally agree.  There is no point in creating new work if your old articles are not effective.

11. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

I think the best strategy is to make your best pages better.  Let me outline a fairly simple strategy.

1.  Create a set of 50+ hubs.  You need a fair number to learn. 

2.  Look at which Hubs do best.  It's not uncommon for 20% of Hubs to be 80% of traffic.

Make the top 20% of your hubs outstanding.  Frequently, it's more fruitful to make a winning Hub better than to try and improve a Hub that never caught on.

I try and update my best Hubs regularly and make new ones to create new winners.

1. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

While I generally agree with this, it raises the issue about what makes a hub successful. My guess is that it is 60% niche choice and title, 20% author's authority and 20% 'quality'. Despite all the efforts people take to find a vacant niche of topic in which they can compete - it is still a lottery. Making a good hub better may not improve traffic (expanded content complexity). I personally don't touch the best ones for fear of ruining them or changing Google's opinion of them. Sometimes it is the shorter hubs that do very well. The key to success in getting more traffic (IMO) is to find niche topics and titles that get traffic and in which you can compete sucessfully.  In my humble opinion of course.

12. profile image87
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 10 years ago

Paul Edmondson, that is great advice. I have updated a few of my hubs this year and from my experience I agree that it is better to update a good hub than to spend time updating a hub that doesn't get any traffic.

Of course having said that, my standard of writing is so much better now than it was when I started o some of my old hubs may have failed because I didn't know what I was doing, so I do updates on some of my original hubs too if I feel they have a chance of doing well.

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We all have learned a lot.  I look at the Hub I published today and how much different it is than my early Hubs. Cheers to learning:)

13. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I feel it is well worthwhile updating a hub if it is one that can get decent traffic. My first year here I spent time writing hubs that could never rank. A few I wrote back then are ranking well now and I am earning good money on those. The others have competition that is impossible to beat. I either moved or just deleted those. They were a waste of my valuable time.

Since then I've learned a lot. Which subjects are worthwhile and which aren't. If you choose the wrong subject area, it just isn't worth the time.

Right now, I'm finding it hard to find the motivation to write anything new. Finding keywords that I can rank for are hard when everything shows up in the search with millions of well written articles.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)