To all you opinionated, fierce, strong women out there, what are the

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

issues which either excite and/or peeve you to no end and why, why not? It can be family, political, social, religious, or what have you.  You are free to discuss what YOU want !  Of course, men can join in this discussion!

1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What a great question to ask! :-)   I would like to list at least one for each topic for 100 pts each gm!  :-)   lol

No seriously,

Family=  My biggest one is.  "There is not enough time for "family time" anymore. :-(   with both parents having to work to make ends meet. Our children are being baysat with the television or video games, until one or both get home.

Political= There is so much *hate speech*, *rehetoric of Fear* and liberties taken from us, little by little. Alll in the name of *concern/safety* reasons. Really?  The bickering, the grandstanding/posturing going on all sides of politics.  The misuse of federal funding.

Social=  We seem to *ignore* the rights for those we disagree with, feel uncomfortable with.  We seem to have in some ways "lost our moral compass", in as far as "Live and let live".  :-( 

Religious= The hypocracey that goes on in the name of "religion" or for the sake of using *religion* in any form for evil or wrong doing/actions towards another human being.  :-(

We have moved mountains before in our society.  We freed people from slavery (up to a point)  We realize that something is going on in our atmosphere, which is making our world have extreme weather. 
      Some have become so "de sensitized" from hearing all this pain and suffering, that we have given up on our other side that is within us,
      that makes us the "wonderful people" we (once were).
      We don't look out for each other, until it hits "too close to home".
      Then we sit back and pray, that there is enough who would come to our rescue. We are lost. We are sad and use the anger to control our actions.
      ie:  like some of our leaders are greedy with power, position and want the *control*.
      Until each of us, can stand up and say No! The "Light that is within me, is Greater than the darkness, of this world". We will continue to lose, and feel just as helpless and hopeless as it is for so many. :-(

H.O.W. (Humanity One World)
      Are we going to make a difference to help bring the changes we all in our hearts desire?  It is my opinion, this world is going to be in far worse shape for generations to come.

Shalom

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7781209_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7781209_f248.jpg

2. angryelf profile image88
      angryelfposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is a good one! For family, I'd say that a lot of girls (especially around my area) seem to still believe a man should always be the one with the job/education while she's a stay at home mom. Not that it's a bad thing for some women (many love to be stay at home moms!) But they don't seem to think it's important for themselves to be educated, self sufficient, or innovative. Which can lead to disaster should the father leave or the marriage not work out, or anything in between. Politically? When some guys, I did say SOME haha, think that women are too incompetent to take charge of a community situation. But then again, most men allow their wives to take control of their bank account and home LOL (I never understood this one!). Socially? That women who might be promiscuous are usually seen as trash, while men tend to receive thumbs up for their deeds. As for the people speaking about rape, I cannot really include it; as many guys are raped as well. And my opinion on ALL rapists, well, we just won't go there! *cough* castration! *cough*

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I concur with you.   I believe that girls and women should become educated and self-sufficient, NEVER depending upon boys and men for their sense of self.   It is so sad how girls and women are indoctrinated either through society and internally to give their power away to boys and men.  This sort of behavior leads to abuse and other forms of disrespectul behavior!   Girls and women should OWN their lives!

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 10 years ago

Well of course one part of being a Man who really appreciates the opposite sex is; that an independent Woman's grace and femininity, as opposed to her fierce head and/or upper body strength, is generally seen as being far more attractive and genuinely worthy of discussion!  lol  cool

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

1. Ignorance about the true nature of rape and sexual assault.
    For the record: These are crimes of power and domination. Sex is simply the weapon.

Why are these right wing bozos getting any attention??

2. That opinionated, fierce women, strong women are castigaged as bitches. Even
    by members of our own sex.

1. Shanna11 profile image76
      Shanna11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand that and it frustrates me. Why do women turn on other women who are more competitive, opinionated and determined? They get called butch, bitch, manly, etc...

Why can't we just let each other alone?

1. HollieT profile image80
        HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with the why can't we let each other alone, but when it comes to the more competitive, opinionated, determined argument, I take issue. Often, women who want to outrank other women are conforming to male stereotypes. More beautiful, more intelligent, works harder, pleases men?

It is often women who do not tick these boxes who are categorized as bitches, butch etc. because they don't conform.

4. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 10 years ago

Hate the fact that women still get paid on average less then their male colleges, even though they do the same job.

But I LOVE the fact that soooo many women are getting ahead and becoming successful on their own merit.

I think we need to support our fellow sisters. Come on the girls.

(and boys) wink

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
      Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I still feel like women are not taken as seriously as they should be in this day and age. All the rapes in the military that the men in charge don't defend them from really gets me mad. And a dumb man can make a lot more money than an intelligent woman and get a job more easily.

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Totally concur, I find that level of disrespect towards women in the military to be totally insidious.  This utter disrespect must CEASE immediately!   Women should have to fear for their safety in the military.  Sadly, the boys will be boys mentality is SO PREVALENT in this society!   Women have to unite in order to make the ULTIMATE progress regarding gender equality.  WE as WOMEN have a LONG way to go! While some of us are righteous and progressive in that regard, there are those of us who are GENDER TRAITORS!  Those "women" who are GENDER TRAITORS , KNOW who THEY ARE!

5. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

The fact that Hollywood portrays mothers giving birth on their back and the cord being cut as soon as possible. Both of these things aren't good for mother or baby!

6. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 10 years ago

It really bothers me that as a young woman, I am limited in what I can do safely because there are men out there who legitimately think that by traveling alone or going for a jog on a winter evening when it gets dark early means that I'm asking to be assaulted or harassed.

It irritates the heck out of me that my brother's can go off and go backpacking or hiking or travel by themselves without my parents getting overly protective, but when I want to do go backpack through Africa or go on a road trip by myself to Yellowstone they immediately freak out. It's not that I'm irritated at my parents for caring for me, I'm just bothered that it's not physically safe to be a woman because there are people out there who want to teach women how to not get raped instead of teaching men not to rape. I hate that reality means that I always have to have a "safety buddy" or be hyper alert.

And guys who screech at me from their cars while I'm out running- I cannot even express how upset that makes me. If you want to genuinely express the fact that I look good, then politely pay me a compliment without leering at me. I actually appreciate that. But making unsolicited sexual comments (even if it's just a whistle) is like you're trying to reduce me into a sexual object instead of a human being and that's NOT okay.

And the guys who get all over my case for just being me also bother me. I'm very up front and I'm not looking for approval. I'm not going to play dumb and I'm sure as heck going to be competitive. I was a TA for an intro political science class and I had to teach some labs every week. It was really difficult being an 18 year old female trying to prove to all these 21+ cocky guys that I deserved that job, and that I knew my stuff.  If I'd been a guy their age, no one would have questioned me at all.

I'm kind of vilifying guys here, and I don't want to/mean to. Guys are great. Both genders are awesome. I think vilifying the opposite sex gets in the way of real change...

Dang. This keeps getting longer. Sorry, it's turning into a rant.

I love my school, I really do, but sometimes the gender problems frustrate me to no end. It's a very marriage and baby-minded school. Both my 19 year old roommates are getting married this summer. In fact, a lot of my friends from Freshman year are getting married or already are married. I hate it! I mean, marriage is good. I want to get married and have a family. But they're so young and they just give up their dreams. My roommate gave up a study abroad she wanted to do. The other plays dumb and just becomes an object for each new guy just because she can't bear to be single.

I just don't get it. What's so wrong with being single? Women aren't really expected to have careers. If a woman says she's considering grad school (possibly me) instantly half the guys nearby are uninterested in her. I was the only female in an upper level economics course last semester and it was so awkward. I loved the class, but all the guys wanted nothing to do with me. They saw me as a joke-- a young girl trying to play with the big boys. I tried to get to know some of them, but it was really hard to actually get them to engage with me. Not to mention the fact that I was a TA for several of these guys the previous semester! They thought I was just there to get a husband, not to actually learn.

7. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 10 years ago

I used to live in a progressive urban area and have moved to a poor, rural area in Missouri.   I feel sad about the way girls and women here are encouraged to set aside their dreams (should they even still have them by the time they are teens!) to become nothing more than helpers, caretakers, and sex objects to men.  I really, really hate it.  It also occurs where I come from, but is the norm here.

8. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years ago

Call me old fashioned, but what really bugs me is the fact that I still struggle with men thinking I should 'go out and get a proper job' (as opposed to writing online, or growing vegetables to sell on). I may not be making the equivalent of a full time job, but this does bring me in an income, and I am frustrated that so many people seem to have forgotten that women once were expected NOT to work (and it would have made the man look like a poor bread winner if his wife did). Once women fought for the right to work, vote etc, then over time governments apparently 'wised up' and bumped up taxes etc so families, couples etc could no longer afford for the women to stay home and be 'home makers'. The only winners in this were/are the governments, because now women can barely afford not to go out to work. In our situation my choices are limited due to health issues, so I stick to growing my vegetables and covering the costs of this by selling some on, and writing my online stuff which brings me in a low 3 figure income each month as my spending money. If I wrote every day I am sure I could do better, but I only write an article every month or two on average, however I do consider this 'working' and don't understand why certain friends/acquaintances of ours seem to feel I should be out scrubbing floors or something (in spite of being well qualified educationally) because that would be a 'proper job' (wage slave). Grrrrrrr!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)