Where do we stand on the "War on Terror" in 2013?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

I hate that term, but didn't quite know how to phrase it better.

Obviously, there have been a LOT of incidents and investigations in the last few
    months that have raised terrorists and US security to new levels of scrutiny.

So my questions:
    Using 9/11 as baseline, how have "terrorism" and/or "terrorists" changed?
    Are we safer, less safe, or no change since 9/11?
    What US actions have helped vs. hurt us?

If you were in charge of US national security, what would you do to
    protect US citizens?

As always, non-US hubbers welcome to share about your own country and/or
    observations on US....
    MM

1. HollieT profile image80
      HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Truthfully, and I'll probably get slammed for this; I'd encourage dialogue.

In the end, when wars are fought in this way, refusing to talk to terrorists leads to, well, more of the same.

And when attempting to view us (the Uk and Us through the eyes of the "enemy") we are terrorists too!

Negotiation is the key, IMHO, and the west should learn to mind their own business, that's how they'll keep us safe.

Mighty Momposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Hollie.
        So good to see you. It's been awhile.
        I'm shocked at your position. Shocked I say!
        I thought you were a fellow female war-mongering interventionist.
        lol
        MM

Hi MM smile

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Negotiation hasn't worked.
        We should've stuck to Bush's determination to NOT negotiate with terrorists.
        Good grief!-------if handing out welfare, college tuition, and the red carpet to the likes of the Boston bombers didn't make them see that America is full of tolerant loving helpful people,  then negotiation won't cure their hatred for us.    What do you expect us to do-------set them down and say see how much we welcome you, now please don't bomb us?

So....where we stand is this-------the terrorists have now invaded not just our shores but inland, sleeper terrorists who use our good will and our money and our laws (and the stupidity of the current Administration) to condemn us and kill us on our own turf.    And Obama gives them the same legal recourse as a valid American citizen gets, taking away the Military's ability to defend us on our own soil. That's where we stand.

Non-negotation= invasion, then?

3. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So killing innocents to get someone to pay attention is a legitimate path to negotiations - in your view?

Or would you prefer a clarification that you meant dissidents, not terrorists?

GA

So killing innocents to get someone to pay attention is a legitimate path to negotiations - in your view?

It's not helpful to put words into someone's mouth, I have no idea where you plucked the "killing innocents to get someone to pay attention is a legitimate path" idea, perhaps you were replying to someone else?

1. GA Anderson profile image89

Isn't that what terrorists do?

... In the end, when wars are fought in this way, refusing to talk to terrorists leads to, well, more of the same.
            ......... Negotiation is the key, IMHO, and the west should learn to mind their own business, that's how they'll keep us safe.

Weren't you advocating negotiating with terrorists?

My apologies if I misunderstood your words, but that's how it read to me.

GA

Yes, I was advocating for negotiations- not killing innocents, I have no idea how you might find my being in favour of negotiations to end a conflict, the same as advocating for the killing of innocents.

So... terrorists kill innocents, (generally speaking), to get attention for their "cause"

That is the path of action they take.

I did not say you advocated killing innocents - I implied you advocated negotiations with those that did. Which you confirmed.

Which also seems to imply that for you - "the end justifies the means"

Which is confusing.. aren't you against water boarding? Drone attacks?  etc.

I am hesitant to make the leap that your statements infer, but it could appear that for you - judgement of actions depends on who is taking them.

I pondered that you may have meant "dissidents" instead of terrorists, but you stick with terrorists.

So it appears you think someone that kills innocents should be negotiated with.

Do I still misunderstand your intent?

GA

So... terrorists kill innocents, (generally speaking), to get attention for their "cause"

Yes they do, on that we can agree. Both Islamic countries and western nations do it  ALL. THE. TIME. The difference is, you appear to think that when the US does it, it's justified. It was not intended, a terrible mistake. So that's ok, then!

You state you would negotiate with them.

Hence, "killing innocent people as a path to negotiations."

No, now you're making yourself look quite silly, I'm afraid. The point is, "negotiations might be a path" to avoiding the massacre of innocent people. See that, do you get that?

Or, we could have it your way, let's do what we've always done and we will get what we've always got; the killing of innocents!

So it appears that you would still rather  travel down a failed path, and innocent lives are not worth negotiation?

Do I still misunderstand your intent?

No, you do not misunderstand my intent.

I would not negotiate with terrorists. That would be rewarding them for their actions.

I would treat them as others; a lot wiser than I, do...

"The point is, "negotiations might be a path" to avoiding the massacre of innocent people. See that, do you get that?"

Yes, but what I get is that your perspective is one I am glad not to maintain.

And I also get that understanding this to be your perspective leaves us at loggerheads. I'll keep my perspective, you keep yours.

GA

4. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Negotiation is a problem when both sides have non-negotiable demands.  We demand, for instance, that radical islamists not overrun countries like Pakistan, Afghanistan and Syria with violence to enforce their religious views.  It's not negotiable.  We also have a tendency to interfere in human rights violations; gunning down school girls, for instance, and the ugly treatment radicals give women in general.

The terrorists, on the other hand,  demand that we either convert to radical Islam or cease to exist.  That, too, seems non-negotiable.  Between the two I'm not sure there is any negotiation to be done.

But there is another problem, possibly worse.  Who do we negotiate with?  What person will sit at the negotiation table?  I have serious doubts that we have refused to talk - I do not believe that any terrorist has ever offered to negotiate anything, or has any reason to.  As they really only have one demand, and they know we won't meet it, there is to reason to discuss anything from their viewpoint.

And that leaves the idea of minding our own business.  Should we simply stay home and allow the radicals to take over country after country, subjugating the peoples there, until they are strong enough to effectively attack the US or UK?  For they will, you know - that is their stated desire and there is no reason to doubt it.  When God speaks, people do incomprehensible things.

That's what I was hoping to get to, Wilderness.
          As usual, very well stated.

Who do we negotiate with?
          It's not like the "good old days" when countries declared actual war and wore
          identifiable uniforms in battle.
          Our enemies are not always identifiable anymore.
          How do we even choose which faction to support if we are against a dictator?
          And even if a country does adopt democracy, it may be fleeting when a new
          wave of insurgents comes in.
          The one thing we do know is, as you state.
          Radical Islamists want to destroy us. 
          I agree we cannot sit back and let them bring the fight to us.

1. wilderness profile image96

"How do we even choose which faction to support if we are against a dictator"

That's a tough question and not one that always has an answer.  In general, I would have to say neither one - let the people fight it out themselves, just as we (mostly) did in the civil war.  Of course, the US would still be English....

On the other hand, when a radical religous organization moves into a country and takes the countryside villages by storm and violence, that's another story.  The villagers don't want it, the govt. doesn't want it and it is no different, at it's roots, that the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait.  There, I DO know which side is the right one.

2. HollieT profile image80

The terrorists, on the other hand,  demand that we either convert to radical Islam or cease to exist.  That, too, seems non-negotiable.  Between the two I'm not sure there is any negotiation to be done.

I'm not sure they do demand that we all convert to radical Islam, I don't believe that this is what it's about at all. I believe our interventions in other countries (I mean, which country country in their right mind would be pleased to live under occupation?) have been the crux of the problem. The drones, bombing etc as witnessed by poor, uneducated young men, only serves to push them into the hands of extremists groups.

And you mention Syria, on the part of the west, what we are doing is massively contradictory. On the one hand we are fighting terrorism in our own back yards, then funding and arming rebels in Syria who are connected to, and have loyalties to, Al-Queda . And our interventions in Syria, just like Iraq and Afghanistan, have only made matters worse.

1. wilderness profile image96

But they do demand we convert.  That or die, the same as every other infidel, including those infidels that claim to be Muslim but do not walk the proper path in their service to God.

I disagree with your analysis of the root of the problem.  Certainly people don't want their country occupied - in most circumstances.  Citizens of Kuwait were extremely pleased to see the US military crossing their border, for instance.  But the root is that simply by existing, and in being a much more successful society in terms of wealth (money, things, food, freedom, etc.) the West is giving a lie to radical Islam and the people are recognizing that.  They are demanding what the west has, and that can ONLY be accomplished by becoming the west.  Or at least by dumping the requirements and laws of the radicals, and that is not to be tolerated.  As a conventional war with the US vs terrorists would last about 5 minutes, terrorism is the tool used to both hurt the us (and most of the west - we're not alone in being attacked) and demonstrate to their own people that God's work is being done.

2. Superkev profile image60
    Superkevposted 10 years ago

First I would secure the border. Lock it down tight.

Then send every illegal alien back to their country of origin. Every. Damn. One.

Second I would let Iran know that since most of the service members we have lost in Iraq were killed by IED's that were either planned by, built by or detonated by the Republic of Iran, for every death of one of our military that we can positively trace back to their country, they will lose an installation. Might be a barracks, might be a ship, might be their General HQ, but they will lose an installation. And should they attack American soil, they will lose ALL of their installations. I would tell them in that instance I will destroy their military in 48 hours and leave them naked to their enemies for the next 500 years.

I would let the leaders of other terrorist organizations know that should the US or US citizens be attacked anywhere in the world, that the retribution will be swift, massive and deadly. I have 11 Carrier Battle Groups at my disposal, dare me to use them.

1. profile image0

Rock on.

And what would you do with the likes of the Fort Hood killer and the Boston bombers?
      Hopefully swift justice.   At the hands of a Military tribunal?

2. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You would be like an angry, sociopathic child. 

Oh, we had one of those already.

1. Superkev profile image60
        Superkevposted 10 years agoin reply to this

At least I would not be a weak kneed, feckless, bowing, groveling Muslim appeaser who no one in the  world respects or is in the least afraid of.

Got one of those now.

1. profile image0

PLUS the angry, sociopathic child aspect!
          Obama is muti-faceted in his shortcomings.

3. Mighty Mom profile image79

So it's Iran's fault that Bush sent our military into Iraq?

1. Superkev profile image60
        Superkevposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, it's Iran's fault for sending people and materials that killed Americans.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

Are we safer and have US actions helped us?  Actions like the Patriot Act?

We are probably no safer, but no less, either.  Probably due to the actions taken under the Act. 

I say "probably" because the man in the street will never know of the vast majority of terrorism that didn't occur because it was caught before it could.  Only a handful of people will ever know how many threats were thwarted and even fewer will have real knowledge if those threats would have been successful or not.

That there are terrorists within our borders in undeniable, that they will try to kill is also undeniable.  How many and how bad the attacks might be is the only question and that will always (whenever possible; the marathon obviously went public) be kept under a tight blanket of secrecy.

4. innersmiff profile image66
    innersmiffposted 10 years ago

The "War on Terror" is a farce. Really want to stop terrorism? Stop paying your taxes so our governments will stop their wars of aggression that destroy civilisations and encourage terrorism. Done.

Innersmiff, you sound like a broken record. If only the world was as simplistic as your "don't pay taxes, get rid of the govt. and trust the freemarket!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)