How Can HubPages Help You Improve your traffic?

Jump to Last Post 51-60 of 60 discussions (214 posts)
  1. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

freepik.com
    shutterstock (go for smallest)

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

I noticed this thread was originally started 8 months ago, so I'm not sure if this suggestion was mentioned, but here goes:

Please, please, initiate a site-wide effort to submit copyright infringement complaints. 

One of the main reasons our worki is copied is because we are ON this site; it's a sitting duck for scrapers and thieves.  As the publishing site, you have the right to file these complaints. This is even more true in the case of EC hubs, because they're listed under the umbrella of the site.

It makes far more sense for this issue to be handled centrally (and it dramatically affects site revenue) than for it to be scattered and done by individual writers.

All of us who have had content stolen have lost considerable revenue, and considerable traffic. If you want to improve traffic, one universally helpful way would be to get involved in tracking and reporting copied content.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
      Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

1. dwelburn profile image92
        dwelburnposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm all in favor of Marcy's suggestion. Sound like it would be very valuable.

3. Zainab Tarawali profile image65
    Zainab Tarawaliposted 10 years ago

Hello,
    As a newcomer I'm trying to understand the terminology and requirements for webpages. For example, I'm not sure if my webpage is still in "beta" mode or not, or what it means to monetize YouTube videos. The information I've read so far on setting up webpages has been great, but I think having pages specifically for formatting and citations should be added. Thanks.

4. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image83
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 10 years ago

I would like the restoration of Hub topic suggestions, coming before selecting the title. I have forgotten the exact name.

5. dwelburn profile image92
    dwelburnposted 9 years ago

From your list : images would be a tremendous help. I spend so many hours looking for free to use photos, but rarely find anything decent. Suggested edits could also be useful.

6. Coolpapa profile image66
    Coolpapaposted 9 years ago

There are several spell checkers (including context sensitive) available along with grammar checkers and plagiarism checkers. For images you find on the net, most folks will give you permission if you ask and tell them they will get attribution.

7. pateluday profile image50
    pateludayposted 9 years ago

Ads above the fold are not liked by Google.

8. MsBizPro profile image77
    MsBizProposted 9 years ago

This is going to to be controversial, I know, but I think they should more carefully screen some of the opinion-based pieces, as well as screen the fiction and poetry more carefully. While I do use first-person in some of my pieces, I've seen some articles on here that seem to be getting a lot of attention that are either horribly written (as in, would barely pass muster in a high school creative writing class) or pass off incorrect and/or dangerous information "protected" under the shield of the essay format. This is particularly the case with some of the mental health articles I've read. As a licensed clinician, the bad medical information bothers me the most. While it may be difficult and  limit the amount of new content on the site, I wouldn't be opposed to screening new writers for different topics and sections, based on expertise. Of course, people can lie on a resume, but there are some topics some individuals have no business writing about for public consumption. For example, I shouldn't tell you how to fix your car or wire a new electrical outlet because I'm not trained in those areas. This is why I stick to why I can write about credibly mental health, law (because I went to law school), and HR (because I'm a business owner). Just because something interests you doesn't mean you should write about it. I think HubPages has a responsibility to ensure that the information on the site is at least somewhat credible, especially in matters that can affect someone's health, finances, and legal rights.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What's your take on humor, satire, FUN.  Is there a place for that in a world of Wiki lite content?

1. MsBizPro profile image77
        MsBizProposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, I think Hub Pages needs to make a branding decision. I'm not sure that one site can facilitate both well. Fun and satire is good stuff, but I'm not sure it should be mixed in with serious information. At the very least, they need to be on distinct and separate sections of the site.

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it can thrive with all kinds of content, and that's what the subdomains are for and why people have several accounts for the different kinds of hubs they write.

But what the site doesn't need for sure is all the dubious health hubs, like rubbing habanero oil on your nether regions to cure cancer of the nether regions, written in broken or badly translated English no less. Unless that is supposed to be humor smile

I'm just going off my experience as a web user, not a writer. I've had Hubs pop up in my Google searches a good many times. Sometimes, they offer comprehensive, useful information and give me exactly what I needed. Other times, I'll come across a rambling personal essay that tells me nothing. The latter detracts from the former. I judge the credibility of a website by the whole of my experience, not just a single page. Likewise, if I see a comedic article on a site and then, say, a medical article, the comedy will call me to draw into question whether the site as a whole is a credible source for medical information. The exception to this would be something like a major news outlet which can get away juxtaposing "hard information"/news with satire because its reputation has been long established and because readers know they're getting information that's been through an editorial and fact-checking process. Not the case here...

1. brakel2 profile image74
              brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

On the medical sites, the last info I heard was that Google or HubPages wanted a statement as to authority to write a hub like a medical one - about your background, title, and anything else that can help. A disclaimer stating that readers need to contact their doctors about any questions makes the article more authentic.

9. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

I've been here over 4 years and I've seen this happen to my account 3 times. Give it time and they always roll out a new Panda and your account comes out of it. Do any suggested updates in the meantime.

10. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 9 years ago

Old thread, but I really feel like we would all benefit from, as MsBizPro suggeted, a more defined brand. HubPages is a bit of a free-for-all and while I appreciate the freedom here, I think that it hurts a lot of the writers in the long run by watering down the content and reputation of HP.

In a magical world where I was in charge of HP, I would create two sites: "HubPagesPro: Your Source for Comprehensive, Accurate Information on Everything" (Not a great title, but you get the idea) and try to make it that. I'd also have a second site, indexed separately in Google, like ImagineHubs: Your Source of High-Quality Short-Form Fiction and Intelligent Satire. I think a separate fiction/creative site would be awesome because (to my knowledge), there's not a wiki-esque version of it available. Plus, based solely on the results of the flash fiction study from UPenn, I see that there are *a lot* of talented fiction writers here, ones I would take the time to seek out and read if I could find them easily in one place. In short, I think distinct sites would boost the readers and the credibility for both of camps of writers, but HP would need to have stronger gatekeepers to keep the content quality high. Of course, that would cost money in the short-term, but I think it could have some great long-term gains because almost any case study on online writing will tell you that quality pays over quantity--and Google knows that, as we're all seeing with the traffic drops.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HubPages does not, and has never had, a reputation with the public as an overall site.  Very few readers come to visit HubPages just because it's HubPages - they find individual Hubs through search.   HubPages has never, ever been branded as a Wikipedia alternative, or as the equivalent of  eHow or About.com  - it has always been a writing platform full of articles of all kinds.

Considering Wikipedia's domination, I'd say it would be a bad idea for HubPages to try rebranding itself as a Wikipedia alternative - they'd lose!  And looking at how ALL the "howto" sites have collapsed suggests that's not a good idea, either.  So I don't see what benefit we'd get from limiting the site to factual information only.

1. Coolpapa profile image66
        Coolpapaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Limiting Hubs to factual information only would dilute the unique flavor of the site. This is not a fact checking site in my opinin, rather a place to exchange viewpoints and facts with an interesting and personal approach. Not to mention the ability to have an interchange of opinions with the writers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)