This site is soooooooo right-wing.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (65 posts)
  1. Justin Earick profile image67
    Justin Earickposted 10 years ago

Why is HubPages inhabited by so many right-wing rant-artists?  Is this simply because of the blatant omission of quality-control editing?
    Any Hub with an obvious right-wing slant accrues a bevy of positive activity, while anything otherwise/reasonable goes largely unnoticed by the Hub community.  Is this simply the inevitable result of a lack (nonexistant) nonsense filter?  Or a testament to the necessity of taking my talents to greener pastures?
    Suggestions?

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can't comment at all on the right-wing aspect.  I am very left-wing, and I often don't get many views.

However, I am not overly active in commenting on other's hubs and building a following, so that could be a reason why.  I also could just suck at putting in the right key-words to get good google hits.

2. profile image58
      retief2000posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would suggest writing more interesting things.  Content is king.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Eh..........
      I had to do a double-take because it totally shocked me to see someone saying HubPages is rightwing.   lol.
      Hmm.

1. Zelkiiro profile image86
        Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I did, too. It seems pretty evenly divided here between rational Left-wingers, rational Right-wingers, batshyte insane Right-wingers, and the occasional Libertarian.

4. Josak profile image59
      Josakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are slightly more conservatives and their material is a bit more inflammatory in general so gets more traffic.

It's also that conservatives are a lot more rabid at the moment due to the fact that they have done very poorly electorally in recent years and thus have more to complain and rant about.

5. Patriot Quest profile image61
      Patriot Questposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You must not have read many hubs?  This site is top heavy with extreme left minded folks!  It staggers the mind how many out of touch with reality liberals inhabit this site.  The ratio is about 50 to 5..........5 being the conservatives

6. profile image58

Not to worry.  Before long it will be illegal to be conservative - as it should be, since conservatives are evil.  If not out right illegal it will be very inconvenient to constantly defend one's self against audits by the IRS and investigations from every conceivable federal agency from the BATF to the EPA causing conservatives to hunker down, shut their mouths, not write, not contribute money or time - again, as it should be since conservatives are evil.

You're right. Conservatives should be free to be Conservative.

Their knack for inbreeding and mental deficiencies will eventually weed them out, anyway, so why pass legislation against what will inevitably die out?

(On a side note, I am hoping and praying every day that Mike Judge's Idiocracy scenario will never come to pass.)

1. profile image58

You mean Mike Judge that evil libertarian?  Show your contempt and behind to someone else.  Your opinion means less than nothing to me after you decided that I am a racist and misogynist.

Are you implying that you aren't?

Because your party sure as hell is.

1. profile image58

small ideas for small minds

2. profile image49
          Lie Detectorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It seems its too late!

2. Levellandmike profile image77
    Levellandmikeposted 10 years ago

I don't know about "right-wing rant artists," I'm Conservative and the fact is it's kinda split down the middle.
    I seem to be noticing more "left-wing rant artists" than you. Primarily because they supply me with material.
    I'm assuming you have a problem with Conservative views being posited?
    Last I heard this is a free country. And that means I get to voice my opinion just like everybody else.
    If it seems there are more conservatives out there than liberals, then I'd say you're on the wrong side.

1. Justin Earick profile image67
      Justin Earickposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not in the least.  My admittedly annecdotal experience suggests that right-wing hubs generate substantial traffic via hubpages.com specifically.
      It is no secret that traffic can be generated from elsewhere.
      Said annecdotal experience has nothing to do with, nor effect on, the prevelance of right-wing propaganda on this particular user-generated site.  The slant is omnipresent, which is all well and good for right-wing hubbers.
      I am simply fishing for suggestions of a comparably moderate/reasonable user-generated site, as this particular one has little-to-no quality standards in regard to neither literary coherence nor editorial truthiness espoused therein.

1. maxoxam41 profile image65
        maxoxam41posted 10 years agoin reply to this

"Editorial truthiness espoused therein", you just hit a soft spot.
        Most of them are uneducated and biased. I have a lot of fun challenging their nonsense.

1. Silverspeeder profile image61
          Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nonsense?
          Let me remind you the world is in the mess it's in because of so called educated people.
          The economy is in the mess it's in because of educated people.
          The problem of course is that educated people run on tracks, they see only where those tracks take them and are disparaging and discriminative against all others.

No it is because of the greed. It is one thing to have facts and it is another thing to ignore them. When scientists supported the inside job for sept 11 and you still have people who believe that it was perpetrated by Bin Laden, what is it if not uneducated?
            I'm educated and I can see that republicans and democrats don't work for my interests, I can see what is happening internationally, that what our media is stating doesn't fit my understanding.

I am not an educated person but I can see that it was educated people that caused the problems with world banking, educated people that run the media and educated people that run governments. It also shows that educated people can be wrong people such as scientists, doctors, economists, politicians etc etc.
              It doesn't take an educated man to know something is not quite right about the 9/11 story but I doubt if either educated or uneducated men will ever prove anything untoward and if they could they would defiantly disappear without a trace.
              Governments are in the business of keeping governments in power, nothing to do with by the people for the people of the people.

1. profile image0

Many educated people have been responsible for the problems we have (like the economists who said the economy could regulate itself, or businessmen who graduated from Yale (Bush) who lead us into wars of aggression and violated the Geneva convention).

It's not as clear as you make it, but you do have good points.

2. maxoxam41 profile image65

You are educated. But you have to acknowledge that most of them don't support their argumentation. Often the republican/conservative of this platform use neither reason, nor facts.

3. HollieT profile image81
                HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am not an educated person but I can see that it was educated people that caused the problems with world banking, educated people that run the media and educated people that run governments. It also shows that educated people can be wrong people such as scientists, doctors, economists, politicians etc etc.

Depends on how you look at it, what they have done may be morally wrong, but there are certainly groups of bankers, politicians and the like who have done exceedingly well, personally, from various crises. Was the financial crash deliberate, caused by a few greedy little people in the upper echelons of society? Possibly, in which sense they were not wrong at all, not if they were trying to plunder and pillage (because let's face it they have) they were spot on, the proof lies in their personal treasure.

I see where you are coming from Hollie but if we measure education by financial gain Bill Gates should be the most educated man on the planet.

2. Seth Winter profile image80
          Seth Winterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"Most of them are uneducated and biased"

And yet it is the liberal based writers who are whining about not getting any views...seems to me you have to be smart enough to anticipate what the general public wants to hear. While their will always be a bleed heart liberal, it's hard in this day of age (Obama administration) to find much faith in liberal political leanings.

1. Superkev profile image60
            Superkevposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You see Seth, like a true liberal he wants to blame it on someone else. So it's either Bush's fault or that we are too uneducated to see and appreciate his brilliance.

This post is the epitome of the narcissistic and unaccountable liberal mind set.

How does the saying go?

Though liberals do a great deal of talking about hearing other points of view, it sometimes shocks them to learn that there are other points of view.

1. swordsbane profile image61
              swordsbaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Superkev:  Nothing you said in that comment is surprising and I agree with all of it.

Conservatives do the same thing.  It really seems impossible to them that there is any point of view that is not either Liberal or Conservative.  If you disagree with one, you are automatically labeled as the other.

1. Superkev profile image60
                Superkevposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't seem impossible to me and I am as right wing and conservative as it gets.

You are either left, right or center and leaning one way or the other. In which case you will be labeled by whichever way you tend to lean.

Superkev: Contrary to popular belief, people don't neatly fit into pigeon-holes that are made for them.  People are not left-right-center.  People are people.  They have good ideas or they have bad ideas, and the ideas can be demonstrated as good or bad, and it doesn't matter what political orientation label you give them.

The whole left-right-center thing is a distraction from what's important: Talking about the issues on their own merits and not about the people involved.  It doesn't matter WHO governs us so much as HOW we are governed.  Unfortunately, as I said you are told by both camps that you are in the other camps headquarters, even if you hate both of them more than they hate each other.

It's really pretty stupid.

2. Cody Hodge5 profile image69
                  Cody Hodge5posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow.....you and I agree on something

2. profile image0

Smart enough what the general public wants to hear?

Did you even think through that principle?  If I am writing in Saudia Arabia, I can bash women and get massive numbers of hits, or if I am writing in Russia, and I praise Putin and his policies, I bet I get tons of hits there. 

Fallacious argumentum ad populum.  Basic logic 101 teaches you that numbers alone do not constitute an argument for a belief.  Hmm.  Let's see.  A majority of voters (not the population, but voters), chose Obama twice, therefore, it must mean he was the best candidate both times, according to your own principle anyway. 

Wow, looks like you should now support Barack Obama!

1. Mitch Alan profile image80
              Mitch Alanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe the question or argument related to "right" or "wrong", but rather to readership...and in the argument given as to writing to the reader, then, yes it can be acknowledge that Conservative views are more prevalent on Hubpages because some write to the audience. I don't know if their is a slant overall or not and I do not write to the audience, but rather write what I know, believe and feel depending on the topic and genre.

3. Patriot Quest profile image61

max has a lot of fun debating their nonsense? hahha,  One doesn't need to use multi letters in a word to have common sense.  I have a high school education, I'll bet pay stubbs with you any day to see who has had the most success in ones life.  I have no doubt you wouldn't make a pimple on me boy.  That's not bragging, its bold FACT

2. Levellandmike profile image77
        Levellandmikeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Still sounds like you're looking for a choir to preach to.

3. Patriot Quest profile image61

WOW! lots of big words from a liberal who wants standards!  Levellandmike us ole dumb conservatives with our low unemployment, low cost housing, low taxes, great quality of life etc. compared to those liberals in CA and NY need to be eradicated! LMAO

1. Josak profile image59

This again? Lower income, lower quality of life, higher poverty, less education, higher crime rates etc. etc.

Give me Vermont (you know the most leftist state) any day. Third lowest unemployment in the country (better than any Red state), lowest poverty in the nation, lowest crime rate in the nation and longest life expectancy.

1. rlbert00 profile image76
            rlbert00posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nice try. Vermont may be number three on the list but the top two states with the lowest unemployment, N. Dakota and Nebraska, are both red and six of the top ten are red states. Per the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

2. Patriot Quest profile image61

rlbert, I have no idea where Josak lives, but I wish so bad that he would come to my community and allow me to drive him around for a little while,  We don't have ghettos, we don't have poverty in the streets, we don't have doom and gloom,  Everyone works, everyone consumes, 2000 new houses are to be built in my town over the next 24 months..........no city in America with a population of 5000 can boast this!

1. Josak profile image59

I don't know what state you live in but EVERY SINGLE ONE has more poverty than Vermont so I really doubt your red state will impress anyone since they have far higher poverty rates.

So which state?

1. profile image58

and a tiny population and a tinier urban population and the tiniest percentage of non-whites - Vermont lefties must be racists.

2. rlbert00 profile image76
                rlbert00posted 10 years agoin reply to this

How about Iowa, N. Dakota or Wyoming...all of which have poverty rates equal to or lower than Vermont. The lowest being Iowa. Per the 2012 US Census.

1. Josak profile image59

Are you using household income poverty gradient or individual poverty gradient adjusted geographically or poverty line adjusted? Another one?

I know that on some of them Vermont does score still very well but not quite best. No matter what measure you use still top three to five.

3. profile image58

Vermont also has the least restrictive gun laws in the country - I wonder how that squares with leftist

1. Josak profile image59

One of my favorite things about Vermont. I am one of those rare pro guns leftists.

3. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 10 years ago

If you write good quality Hubs that are well constructed and well research then you will find readership. It has less to do with "filters" then with what people want to read. The best "filter", just as it should be in all transactions, is the market. If the demand is for more Constitutionally based writings then those articles will receive strong traffic. If there is a demand for writings that diverge from the Constitution, then those articles will receive the lion's share of readers. Simple supply and demand.

4. Levellandmike profile image77
    Levellandmikeposted 10 years ago

Try Yahoo Contributor Network. I'm on there also

5. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

This site is VERY rightwinged.
    I always wonder where the free thinkers are on this website. There is no solidarity between us whereas the conservative voices are always here to support each other. It is like a micro picture of the Republicans and the democrats. There is more support within the republican party than in the democrat one!

It's not HubPages.  It's the fact that Conservative views are emotional and elicit more response, rational and irrational.  Non-Conservative views, particularly non-conservative AND non-liberal are for critical thinkers, and generate measured responses.

Basically, conservative views generate more responses because people freak out over them.  They DO generate more positive responses, but also more negative responses.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't visited the topical forums for a while and thought I would see what's going on over here.  Interesting thread.

I have to agree with your post.  It's not the site itself, certainly not HP headquarters. 
        There is a more liberal leaning professional writer here who deserves more followers than he has. But from what I have seen, these kind of writers don't hang out on the site, never frequent the forums, so their following isn't as large.

2. Patriot Quest profile image61

max, those free thinkers are running our country into the ground right now in Washington and have no time to write hubs.  We have so many criminal standards from the Chicago run mafia going on due to Obama having every liberal he can get his hands on to help him cover lies.

3. profile image49
      Lie Detectorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The conservatives are the free thinkers, I'm afraid that you and all the others are engaged in group think.

6. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I don't see a bias, and I am anything but right-wing.

What do you see?

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I see a cross-section of rants about all sorts of things, all given equal exposure.  If some of the right wing stuff gets more traffic (which I am not sure is true) perhaps that is due to there currently being a Democrat President.  So the right end is more disgruntled right now. That has nothing to do with HP as a site.

1. profile image58

Good observation and it didn't require some scurrilous attack.  Brava.

7. abwilliams profile image67
    abwilliamsposted 10 years ago

You'd consider me a right-wing rant-artist.  Not much activity coming my way, positive or otherwise! Now I'm really feeling pathetic!  Hang in there Justin!

8. jdw7979 profile image72
    jdw7979posted 10 years ago

Debate is good, as is differences of opinion. I consider myself a small government, Constitution first individual. I do however, welcome any debate on articles I have written or enjoy reading, heck even those I do not much care for. I respect the outlet to voice your opinion on whatever matter you so choose.. otherwise tyranny reigns and our rights are nothing but hear-say!

9. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 10 years ago

I am just gonna say, I give Hub Pages props for letting this topic be discussed.  Not all sites are so open.

10. rizwankhan007 profile image57
    rizwankhan007posted 10 years ago

yup u might be rite ...

11. Patriot Quest profile image61
    Patriot Questposted 10 years ago

WOW!  Our knack for inbreeding and mental deficiencies?  Zelkiiro I don't mind you coming at me with honest debate (you can't because I will crush you) but why do you libs have such a mean spirit about you?  I am as Southern and backwoods as they come.  But son I live in a quarter million dollar home on 5 acres, along with my 4 wheelers, 24  ft party barge, my 2013 Ford  Lariat, and my 6 figure job.   I  wont take the time to mention my rental properties and my wifes antique store we own on route 66.    Do you suppose inbreeding and mental deficiencies brought me all that and more?..........I bet you couldn't walk a day in my shoes.  So watch your filthy mouth.

Oh, so you're a wealthy business owner, then.

In that case, it makes sense for you to be a Conservative. After all, Conservatives seek to benefit only the rich, and you're rich!

1. Seth Winter profile image80
        Seth Winterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Anyone else find it funny that the liberal is calling other political ideologies mental defects and inbreeds. I mean, here's a party that cries about civil rights and equal rights but at the same time usually support racial programs like affirmative action, which only benefit select races. If anything I'd say that liberals tend to have it all backwards.

-Conservative that is higher bred then Zelkiiro but below the poverty line.

2. Cody Hodge5 profile image69
      Cody Hodge5posted 10 years agoin reply to this

While that's certainly nice and I congratulate you for your success...

But are you really bragging about owning a $250,000 home? And since when was owning an investment property an accomplishment that puts you in some mythical class of American?

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm far from rich,  but I'm conservative, and what Zelkiiro said should make any conservative really teed-off.    It should even tee-off liberals, if they're as "tolerant" and "fair" as they claim.   Reckon they're not?

(To Zelkiiro---- it's hard for me to believe you could say such horrid things, even after some of the things you've said before.   But there it is......)

12. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 10 years ago

Ya know, I dunno which is in the majority here----liberals or conservatives.    But from what I've seen, and from the posts on this thread,   if the liberals lack in numbers, they sure do make up for it in nastiness.

13. innersmiff profile image67
    innersmiffposted 10 years ago

I'm more on the forums than I am on the actual hubs these days, but it seems like there's a good enough balance. (Though there are not nearly enough libertarians, obviously wink ) I think people are right to point out that conservatives are on average more inflammatory and therefore get the most attention. Not sure that means this is a "right-wing" site.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)