Where are Ads at the top right, above the fold?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (29 posts)
  1. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Are ads only placed in the vertical position at the far right, outside of the hub text now? I just noticed on several of my hubs and others. I thought it was just me and began to tweak text and rearrange capsules to see if they would come back, but they didn't. Did I miss or overlook this change? Or is something going on with the ad program?

1. Susana S profile image95
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I guess HP are doing some testing of different ad placements.

2. Thomas Swan profile image98
      Thomas Swanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I started a similar forum topic here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/113657

If it's a test of new ad placements, I would rather have been told about it.

If it's a problem with ads not appearing, it's a serious problem that needs to be sorted immediately.

1. Susana S profile image95
        Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ad testing is pretty much a constant feature of HP.

You may not be aware, but the founders of HP also own a company called Yieldbuild which is essentially Ad optimisation software. Of course it's utlised on HP to make sure that hubs make the most revenue that they can.

http://yieldbuild.com/

3. aravindb1982 profile image77
      aravindb1982posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Personally, am thrilled with this change. The ads had become so many and in so many spaces that the hubs began to appear like irritating spam sites. I personally know people who called and told me that they love reading my articles but they had installed an ad blocker in their browsers.

I feel that the readers will allow the ads to be as long as they do not get bugged by the sheer number!!

In fact, I had started to slowly shift my articles to another blog, aravindb1982.blogspot.com. I felt that enabling ad sense on that blog gave better control on ad placement. I was ready to leave HubPages because of excessive ads. HP has definitely stopped me in my tracks now... smile I just hope that this is not some temporary measure alone...

The current layout is so clean and uncluttered. My wish is that HubPages either keep it this way, or call this layout the 'medium' ads layout and allow the writers to opt for this if it suits them.

jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that insight, avavindb1982.

2. Writer Fox profile image33
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Try viewing your Hub from the encrypted Google search:
    https://encrypted.google.com/

This should display your Hub the way it is shown to the general public.

Tried that, thanks Writer Fox.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

Hub appearance is different when you're signed out - you might sign out and take a look.

Tried that, thanks wilderness.

4. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

We are testing some different layouts. It started last night. There are a handful of scenarios where the ad layout adjusts based on the hub or user.

We test things like this frequently. More tests coming...

1. Thomas Swan profile image98

I wish we'd been told so I didn't have to waste so much time this morning...

So are you saying that only some users are getting this? Can I opt out? I think it will adversely affect my earnings to not have that ad there. I'd also rather not have my writing be the focus of this experimentation.

Furthermore, most of my hubs are based around an ad appearing at that specific point, so it messes up my formatting quite a lot. I would have to go through all of my hubs to fix it.

1. brakel2 profile image74
        brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I recently published a hub which now has so much white space on the right below a photo. My layout is also based on the ads above the fold on the right. Hopefully, it will get better.           It turns out most of my hubs are ok. It may be just the one that layout needs changing.

2. janshares profile image93

Thanks for the explanation, but ditto to some of what Thomas Swan said. I'm  on my hubs constantly so I did notice right after it was done, apparantly. Not sure now what to do about the hubs I reformatted. I purposely switched around images and polls to open up space above text capsules. So I have some chunky looking text capsules right now (yuck, not my style). I hope ads will readjust soon. Thanks again for explanation.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

Considering the ads showing at the top of the hub and along the right margin, I like the way the hub looks with those ads gone.  Keep in mind that the ads shown to a viewer are not necessarily what we see.  Plus some viewers have ads blocked.  If it pleases Google to see less ads above the fold, I'm sure that's part of the test.

6. LCDWriter profile image91
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

I really like the layout that is being tested.  It looks so much cleaner and more like a real article and less like a spammy site.

1. aravindb1982 profile image77

Second you on that ... Absolutely

7. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Sounds good, rebekahElle, no problem with any of that. I just didn't know and ended up messing with my hubs which were fine. As we all are aware with the atmosphere of the new QAP, when we see something that doesn't look right, we assume it's our fault. Even though my earnings are fine, I thought I had edited my hubs and forgot to leave space for the ads. Call me paranoid but the first thing I look for when I open my stats and hubs is 1) is everything still featured, 2) are there any violation icons, and 3) have my earnings increased, in that order.
    So when I didn't see ads this morning, I started trying to fix it.
    Anyway (sigh), I think those ads to the far right look nice, too. smile

8. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

On my PC I can't see an in text right advert. On my phone I can...

Interesting. I'm on my Kindle now and just randomly looked at several hubs. None have upper right corner adverts. You can tell that they are missing in some because of that chunky text look. sad

9. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

Remember this is just a test.  It's going to take at least a few more days to complete, but it may not stick.

Okay, thanks, Paul.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://i.imgflip.com/1z3js.jpg
      smile

3. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is great news Paul.

4. aravindb1982 profile image77

Paul, I just hope that the option of this 'neat and less ads' layout is at least kept available as a choice for the hubbers...

please, please do consider that...

10. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 10 years ago

Now I only see the banner at the top of the Hub and the narrow strip at the upper right. Once I get beyond that part of the Hub, there's not much else monetizing. Quite frankly it just makes the "Related Search"  links that go to pages that are 100% for HubPages, much more noticeable. As I scroll down the Hub, when I'm logged out, it's the only ad I'm seeing. While the visiter reads 2/3 of my hub, that's all they'll see. There's no longer any adsense or anything that will generate revenue for me. I hope the pay for impressions pick up, because from what I see, that's my only hope of making money off of this layout.

11. Thomas Swan profile image98
    Thomas Swanposted 10 years ago

Since the change, I'd say my earnings have dropped by about 15% for a comparative amount of views. It makes sense that without ads in a noticeable position (within the body of the article), people won't be clicking them.

Perhaps fewer ads will make the pages rise through the search results, meaning more traffic, but I'm not seeing that yet. It would probably take a long time for an effect like that to be seen, although I'd be interested to know what the staff have learned from this change so far.

1. younghopes profile image66
      younghopesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

this is so bad, i wish they make all the tests soon so i can just place google ads in a better position,

1. Thomas Swan profile image98

You raise a good point. It would be nice to have a choice of ad layouts to use.

Even though this is just a test, it seems to be hitting my earnings. I wish there was a way to withdraw from the test.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)