Featured Hub Edited but can't see all the content

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Anita Saran profile image76
    Anita Saranposted 10 years ago

I added some links to my other related hubs into this hub today which was featured before. Now I can't see most of the content when I access the hub and of course the Featured icon is gone. http://anitasaran.hubpages.com/hub/Shor … d-Dialogue

Thanks!

Anita Saranposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Strange - when I access this hub via my profile, I see it's fine.  I suppose the Featured icon will return soon since I just added the links.

2. chasmac profile image89
      chasmacposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The hub has been unpublished - not just unfeatured. Nobody but you can see it. It needs to be fixed before it can be published. Maybe the links you added are the problem.

Oh but the links are to my own articles.

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are they related articles? Even if they're your articles, they need to be on the same topic.

2. chasmac profile image89
          chasmacposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes - I know they're links to your articles. But make sure they really are relevant to the hub - not just vaguely related in some way.

They're related. Part of a series - the short story course.  Maybe we're not allowed more than 3 links? The links are placed at the end of this over 3000 -word hub.

Browsers matter. In Firefox I don't see my Featured list but in Google Chrome, I do.  Funny that when I go to Featured hubs on hub pages,  I see this new hub there with all the content , but in my account, this hub lacks the Featured icon. Any answers?

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

I can see the hub on your profile page and browsed the hub.  The only link that looks strange is the partial link under the cartoon image.  It doesn't work.  (The link in your original post goes to an unpublished page.)
      When you open your profile page to edit, do you have it clicked to show featured hubs only?

Very recently I read that adding links such as you have at the close of the article is no longer a best practice; "if you found this interesting...".  I can't recall if it was on this site or an SEO site that I read it.  The best place to use links is within text, and they must be relevant.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I too remember seeing some similar about "bottom of article" links, but my interpretation was slightly different.

You are correct on one point - links in text are the most valuable in Google's eyes. And Links in footers can possibly have a negative effect when that footer is on content that is not relevant.

Link relevancy is key.

But, my interpretation on Google's view of these type links ("Related articles") is that contrary to being harmful - they can be seen as adding value - as long as they provide relevant value to the reader. But of course, like all things, moderation and judgement are important.

Also, considering HP's hub format - links an author creates are always considered in the text, not in footers.

My opinion is that the type links you mentioned are good, rather than bad, as long as they are intended to enhance the readers experience.

Here are a couple of Googlewebmastershelp videos where Matt Cutts discusses this concept in general.

Regarding Footer's links: http://youtu.be/D0fgh5RIHdE I think this may be the type of discussion that may have given you the impression "Related articles" or You might be interested in"  could be bad.

Regarding unrelated links and "boiler-plate links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chuhSmws … vbAwc8waPE This one discusses widgets with embedded links, and is not directly relative the point, but, in explaining Google's view of them Matt gives some insight into how Google might value "bottom of page" links.

Of course, as always, I could be as wrong as I think I am right.

GA

4. chasmac profile image89
      chasmacposted 10 years ago

You have included a lot of text that wasn't written by you, e.g., your tutor's letter. That's a problem.

5. Anita Saran profile image76
      Anita Saranposted 10 years ago

No I'm not in the Featured hubs mode when I edit. I go to my hubs or profile and click on titles to edit.

I have the permission of my tutor to use the correspondence between us. I even link to her site in one hub. All these hubs (all featured by the way) have her letters.

Thanks all for helping out!

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm referring to your comment in regard to your unfeatured hub showing on your profile page.  If you open your profile page to edit, there is a section toward the bottom asking if you want to show featured hubs only and you click yes or no.  If you have 'no' selected, your unfeatured hubs will show on your profile page.

I don't see a problem with the inclusion of the tutor's letter unless it appears elsewhere online, then it could be marked as duplicate content.

2. Anita Saran profile image76

I removed the links to my other hubs at the bottom - but I have these in other hubs and there was no problem. I'm wondering how this hub has gone from Featured to unpublished just because I had added links to my related hubs. How do I get it back to the published state?  There are no hub violations indicated.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can see the hub, so it's published.  It may still be unfeatured, but it appears on your profile page and is accessible, at least on the site.  I haven't checked with a google search.

If you enter your profile page URL into search, it shows what hubs are currently indexed.  [site:yourURL]
          I just checked and the hub in question does not appear.

2. Anita Saran profile image76

Thank you RebekahElle

Actually when I google the topic and my name - I get to the Featured Hubs page which includes this particular hub.  Yet on my account page it shows up as unpublished. Strange

3. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
          Marina Lazarevicposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It looks like all you need to do is click "publish" when in edit mode. From what I can see you have not published this Hub: http://anitasaran.hubpages.com/hub/Shor … d-Dialogue

There is a similarly titled Hub that is published and displayed on your profile: http://anitasaran.hubpages.com/hub/Shor … d-Dialogue

Hope this helps!

You're right Marina. Thanks! It's already published and Featured. The other is a draft.

6. rebekahELLE profile image84

I don't know the answer.  It appears it is simply unfeatured at the time, but we can still access it via your profile.  I can't find it indexed with a google search. [ site:http://anitasaran.hubpages.com/]
      Perhaps someone from HP staff can figure out the problem why it shows unpublished on your accounts page.
      Hope you get it figured out.  smile

7. rebekahELLE profile image84

GA,  I don't know how these kind of links are treated differently than perhaps they were at the time of  the first video you posted.  I wish I could remember where I read it, but sometimes I read so many things, I can't recall where it was.  I know it was also referring to links that said, 'click here for more', or, 'read more here'.  Obviously, many SEO informational sites have related links at the close of the article, and they seem to be doing fine. Her links appeared relevant, so I don't think she needed to remove them.  I would have inserted them into the hub itself, either as a textual link or possibly as a link between paragraphs if it tied into the immediate context.

Thanks Rebekah. I'll put them back in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)