Hub Under A Penalty from Google?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Alison Graham profile image93
    Alison Grahamposted 10 years ago

I am looking for some advice. I am trying to improve the quality of my hubs old and new. As part of this, I have been going through them, taking a snippet from the beginning of the hub, pasting it in "..." to Google search.

This gives me one way of telling if my hub has been copied.

However, I understand that if you paste in an exact sentence from the beginning of your hub and Google returns no results found and gives lots of other results first, then your page is under some sort of penalty - in other words, it SHOULD appear first when you put in an exact snippet.

I was surprised to find that an Exclusive title hub of mine, which is featured, ticks ALL the boxes in the hub tool for word count, pictures, etc., has this problem and was nowhere to be found when I put that snippet from the beginning of the hub into Google search.

I copied and pasted the url and did a search site:myhuburl  this returned my hub page so it IS indexed.

I think in this case, looking back over the hub, the problem could be keyword density as I was writing about a specific medical problem, I found it hard to use other synonyms, etc.

Is there anything else I could try and would keyword density be something that HubPages admin could build into the hub tool as a way of improving hub quality before publication?

If this problem is widespread, it could be contributing the site problems HubPages is/has been experiencing with regards to traffic.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received and I would be interested to hear from other Hubbers if they try the same exercise on 'quality', featured hubs and get similar results.

Thank you,
    Alison

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I looked at five of your pages and, with four of them, snippets did not come up in Google search. I hate to say it, but I think you got a Panda hit somewhere along the line.

Did you notice a sudden traffic downturn at any time?

There is stuff in the learning centre on sudden traffic loss and Panda.

1. Susana S profile image95
        Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like ^^^ this to me.

My initial thought is that your account looks very top heavy with sales pages.

Did you have a lot more pages at one time, Susana? I mean did you cut out a lot of underperformers? You get more traffic than I do with a lot fewer pages.

I wonder if I am being merciless enough.

Not that many more - I think the most I had was 113 - which works out at about 1/4 of pages dumped (nearly all sales pages).

There are still more that either need to go or get another good going over, but while traffic's good I tend not to bother. My laziness will come back to bite me I'm sure!

It's partly laziness with me, partly a feeling that where an account is okay overall, why change anything and tempt fate. That might not be the best approach though, as you say.

I reckon it's time for me to tackle the poor performers. It may sound simple minded, but I reckon I will use snippets to try and identify sections of a page that are harmful.

It can't possibly work can it? I'll try it anyway, lol.

It's worth a go. Like you I'm not convinced it would work, though I always find researching search results is helpful in some way or another!

2. Alison Graham profile image93
        Alison Grahamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am currently working my way through my hubs so evidently have not tested the same ones as you Will Apse as I have not found any problems with any others - yet!
        Yes I did notice a drop in traffic but it has returned to good levels in the past few months and no recent drops or changes except slightly upwards.
        I do have quite a lot of sales hubs but I am here to earn some money - which thankfully, I am doing.

2. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Try resubmitting the URL to Google.  Go into your Webmaster Tools Account and choose 'Health' from the left menu.  Then choose 'Fetch as Google.'  Submit your URL.  If there is a problem a box will show that says "Submit to Index" and then you can add it again.

Then, try to get a significant, relevant backlink to your Hub.

3. Alison Graham profile image93

Thanks writerfox, but I know that the page is indexed as typing in the url in a google search returns the page listing.

1. queerlyobscure profile image73
      queerlyobscureposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It still might be worth trying to get it crawled again, which is (I think) what writerfox is suggesting. If you've *been* penalised at some point, it can't hurt you to lay out some robot treats to entice them back. No guarantees it'll help, but it won't do any harm.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It does help sometimes.  If Google had a crawl error at one point, it sometimes doesn't come back.  I've experienced this before and adding the URL again has worked for me.

4. Alison Graham profile image93

thank you queerlyobscure and also writerfox. I have done as you suggested.

5. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

I have had a couple of accounts hit with Panda. The best pages will still appear in the index and will still get traffic from Google. The rest will get none.

I would have thought you would have noticed a sudden traffic drop, though.

I sometimes get affiliate pages dropped from the index if I have inadvertently packed the keywords in or triggered a spam filter for whatever reason. But your account looks to be suffering a bit more than that.

Do you want to share the Hub URL here so we can give a more targeted response?

(That was supposed to be a reply to Alison, sorry.)

6. Alison Graham profile image93

The article concerned was my hub on foot fungus. I have now checked it again and it appears right there as the only entry in Google for the snippet I pasted - this is a snippet that I edited this morning after I did the first search  but before I submitted the page to index in webmaster tools.

It seems that the problem has been rectified very quickly and that the problem was, as I suspected that I had overused keywords.

I have not come across the same problem with any other pages I have checked but have found a number of my hubs copied so am working on DMCAs now!

Thanks for all the help
    Alison

Thanks for the update.  Sending Googlebot back to crawl the URL often works; glad it worked for you.

2. creativegenius profile image74
      creativegeniusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's a shame that unscrupulous marketers continue to steal content right off of Hubpages. I, too, had to file DMCA complaints to Google to remove my content off of unauthorized sites.

7. Alison Graham profile image93

thanks again writerfox, that is a tip I will remember for the future.

Alison

8. Will Apse profile image88

Deluded.

explain please?

9. Will Apse profile image88

I looked at a lot of your pages and couldn't get snippets to come up for most, and I was trying three or four from each page. I had a look at mine and the best pages are no problem snippet-wize. There is clutch of poor performers, though, where it is hard to surface snippets. I might rewrite them or cut them.

Panda is a lot more subtle than it used to be. It doesn't seem to kill accounts completely the way it used to, it just drags them down.

Thanks for explaining Will, I have been working backwards from newest which were all written during the Apprenticeship here. So I am thinking that my hubs that are not getting any traffic at all fall into the category you mention. I think I will be doing some pruning!

I appreciate your time in looking at my hubs and the benefit of your experience.

Alison

2. Susana S profile image95

Same here. I searched for at at least 6 of Alison's pages by the full title and none came up in the results, though in some instances Pinterest links to the hubs did. To me that's a classic sign of a Panda whack.

I've also seen both slow traffic declines and big drops as a result of Panda penalties - though fortunately when the offending pages are removed or fixed the whole account does a big bounce up.

Susana, when you say you searched for them by the full title, do you mean url or the title of the page (sorry if that sounds obvious to you). Some of my hubs turn up in search results as hubpages hubs some turn up as my subdomain with the title - I am a little confused. I still have not come across any that I could not find with a snippet. of content or the url of the page. Also due to using the title tuner, many of my page titles are not the same as the wording in the url. Alison

I mean title not url. Your hubs should normally come up in Google search for their full title in quotes ahead of any links to them, regardless of whether they are listed via your sub or HP. When they don't it can be a strong indication of a Google penalty.

There are exceptions of course, like if your title happens to be a very competitive search phrase, you've recently changed the title or the hub is very new - so keep those in mind too.

Here are a few of the searches I did (I specifically chose some of your longer, less compeititve titles) and I'm assuming these are featured hubs.

search 1

search 2

search 3

search 4

search 5

search 6

EDIT: Worryingly, some of your hubs only show in the search results when I select "repeat the search with omitted results included"

Interestingly all those hubs have a large full width image at the top of the page. Hubs getting more traffic have either a half picture on the right or a block of text with an image below. I need to do some more investigating.
            Thank you Susana

Susana is one of the few people who escaped from a full-on Panda hit. She is worth listening to. I wouldn't be worrying about pictures. I would be thinking about cutting poorly performing pages, reducing affiliate links and beefing up pages which might be marginal. But then I have never brought a stricken sub round.

Thank you Will, that's very kind smile

I have been hit a couple of times but by doing the things you stated there (cutting poorly performing pages, reducing affiliate links and beefing up pages which might be marginal), plus a few other bits and bobs like de-optimising pages a bit, I managed to get the account to bounce back.

Susana, how long after making the changes you suggest did you see the account bounce back? How soon did you see improvement in individual hubs after editing.

Initially Panda was run about once a month so it took until the next Panda update to see any positive traffic/serp changes. Now that Panda is run continuously I've found it takes around 24 - 48 hours for changes to take place, when the changes made are the right ones.

To answer your second question - I look at this as a "whole account" thing. Think of your subdomain as a stand alone website. In my experience, when you shake off a panda penalty lots of hubs will improve in visibility at once. It basically comes down to how much Google trusts your subdomain.

If you haven't already, I suggest studying google's rater guidelines (the full version not the recently published version) - it's time consuming but worth it.

2. creativegenius profile image74
              creativegeniusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not true with full-size images. I use full-size images and this has not affected my Hubs.

3. Susana S profile image95

You're welcome. Let us know how you get on!

10. Will Apse profile image88

I should thank you. It got me thinking more clearly about a way to look out for Panda damage.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8111776.jpg

11. Alison Graham profile image93

That's good to hear Will, I hope you will let us know if you hit upon anything new in this regard.

Alison

12. wabond profile image58
    wabondposted 10 years ago

Google is no longer a unbiased search engine.  It stands to reason people will pay to have their websites first on the Google list, in the keywords that are on their site.  And so Google is providing this service.  If you cannot pay Google to do this for you then you are going to be demoted.

Google have been doing this for years - it's called Adwords.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)