This crap is OUT OF HAND!

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (80 posts)
  1. onthewriteside profile image61
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

1.5 million people signed up for a ticket giveaway to Michael Jackson's memorial service.  8750 received an email stating they were one of the lucky winners.  Now these tickets are being sold on EBay for HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars.  What the f**k!  Let the man rest in peace already...

1. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who is worse, the people selling the tickets or the people who are willing to buy them?

2. my-success-guru profile image57
      my-success-guruposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmmmm

3. TrinaLynne profile image70
      TrinaLynneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

While I know Michael would have loved the ticket giveaway because he loved his fans. I don't agree with everyone profitting off of his death. He was a great entertainer and will be missed but all these opportunists need to stop

1. SweetiePie profile image82
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If people want to buy a ticket to his memorial service that is their choice.  No one can make anyone buy a ticket to anything.

4. robertsloan2 profile image77
      robertsloan2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like typical celebrity merchandising. Many people followed Michael Jackson so thoroughly in the news for decades that they know him better than some of their family members, music fans are overwrought, and this goes on for anything to do with a big celebrity. The memorial service isn't a personal event, it's a public one.

But the way I look at it, Michael doesn't have to show up or do anything for this one so it's not as if it's a problem for him. I hope his heirs do earn something from it though.

5. apeksha profile image66
      apekshaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh very bad..many a times they makes people fool..so u all should take harsh action..
      If he gone in hell or haven then jackson must be watching this all ,a and will say"People sold me out..."

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm under the impression he would have liked all the hoop-la.  It has been said he loved his fans, and it appeared he was pretty much in his element when around them.  I, personally, think a dignified, private, burial is nicest; but I don't the Jacksons are about "private and dignified".

onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You may be right on that one...but there is something not quite right about selling tickets to view a dead guy.  I mean if these "winners" were truly fans, I would think they would use the tickets to go to the memorial service, not scalp them on EBay.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh - I agree with you.  It's about as tacky as it gets.   smile

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

If I was a real fan I would be very upset that scalpers are selling tickets for ridiculous prices.

Guess we crossed post there!  I agree...

4. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

I thought the Staples Center made it clear that the tickets were assigned to the winners and no substitutes were allowed. How can they get around that obstacle?

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Umm, not sure what is that bad about this particular group of people making some money out of it. Why don't you object to funeral services, etc. profiting from it? What is the difference?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or the hundreds of Hubbers who churned out MJ hubs within an hour of his death covered in eBay/Amazon widgets for CDs, etc. wink

2. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was hoping that they'd sell the tickets for $25 a piece or something and donate it all to a few good charities. It's too bad that the the Staples Center did not do this!!

That being said, I don't object to people making money from their tickets (if they can figure out how - I heard they have taken anti-scalping measures), but  even still $25 a ticket could've raised a lot of money for charity! smile Even the scalpers would've had to donate.

1. Pete Maida profile image60
        Pete Maidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The difference is the funeral people a providing a service they are not just making a cold profit on someone's death.  I do believe they overprice their service to take advantage of the emotional state of their customers.

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL This is even better smile

7. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

You know you're really hot when people pay their damn money to come watch you get buried.

8. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

Why didn't I think of that?

9. nicomp profile image60
    nicompposted 14 years ago

Free enterprise rocks.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I'm sure some people would sell tickets to their own mother's funeral if they could make a profit...

10. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I thought I heard on the radio that they were preventing scalping by using a ticketing system AND a wristband PLUS checking IDs at will call. So, if you won a ticket, you get a special code that corresponds with your name (you have to show ID) then you get a wrist band at one place and then go over to another place to get a ticket? I dunno, sounds complicated but how the guy explained it on the radio made it seem like scalping would be downright impossible.

11. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Hypothetically, say I was one of the lucky winners. Who would want my ticket and how much would you be willing to pay:-)?

12. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

It is sad when people will put in for a ticket to pay tribute to another human being just to profit from it.  It takes a certain level of greed or a terrible need for money to get it that way.  I did not feel the need to go and I wouldn't pay to get there so I would never consider putting in for tickets.

13. nicomp profile image60
    nicompposted 14 years ago

A ticket scalper is also providing a service.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, exactly.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I consider scalpers the scum of the earth smile Try lining up for 8 hours for tickets for a concert only to find out scalpers bought up all the tickets.

3. profile image0
      Writer Riderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

May the scalpers perish in hell.

14. N. Ramius profile image74
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

I'd laugh at someone if they paid a fortune for the ticket and can't get inside for the funeral due to the security measures in place.

Edit: Top of Page 2. Hooray.

15. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Not sure why Susan, they work hard for their bread, and rarely butter.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I guess I'm still bitter... big_smile

1. Misha profile image62

Surely makes sense. I probably would too at least to some extent smile

16. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

In some countries, ticket scalping is illegal.

And to scalp tickets for a funeral... well that's about as morbid as it comes.

I'm no fan of Michael Jackson, but these so called fans seem to have lost sight of their soul.

Like the Jackson impersonator I read about here in Australia, apparently the death of Michael Jackson crushed him. But he may as well be dancing on MJ's grave because he's so excited of the prospects of making LOTS of money.

As far as "providing a service" is concerned, I'm sure drug traffickers could use the same argument.

1. Misha profile image62

And they would be absolutely correct smile

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
        Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

@ Misha and Nicomp; Are you arguing that "I'm just providing a service" is sufficient justification to do anything?

Eric, who is worse here?  The people who are selling these tickets or the ghouls who are buying them just so they can say they were there?

2. profile image0
          pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Eric I'll answer that question for two dollars! (Do I hear one dollar? Anyone? Anyone?) big_smile

3. Misha profile image62

Yes, I pretty much do. When there is a demand, there is a supply. I personally may dislike some services provided, but since they are there - there is a demand for them. I dislike rain, too smile

OK...Then I'm going to start marketing my own brand of Michael Jackson crack cocaine.  I'm going to call it Crack-fer-Jax, and every $20 baggy will come with a secret prize!  It should hit the streets in a couple of weeks...

1. Misha profile image62

I have no problem with that. smile

But it would be a wise move on your side to check applicable local laws, and make sure local drug lords do not object to your innovation wink

AWWW heck...the laws don't matter.  We can just buy cops, judges, etc. like everyone else does.  But the DRUG LORDS...now that could be a problem...hehe

17. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

It's a memorial service, not a funeral, the news said his body wouldn't be there. I tried to look on ebay to see if there were any tickets there, I saw one, but two seconds later it said ebay deleted it. Scalping tickets to a concert is different than scalping tickets to a memorial service. Hopefully the security will make this impossible. The memorial is for the fans, it's pretty cool that 17,500 fans will be able to attend, if someone isn't one of them... suck it up. Put on his record and chill.

1. Misha profile image62

Did you try both? wink

1. Colebabie profile image59
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Concert, yes. Memorial service, hell no. I meant it's morally different wink, sillypants!

18. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

There was a report on cable news about the city being upset about being stuck with providing security. Since it's CA they don't have the money--not the city or the state either--and the concern is, this is a great place for a terrorist group to 'make a point' by blowing up a bunch of people all in one place.

Geez, it just gets weirder and weirder.

I don't blame the city for being pissed though.

Well when you raise several generations of kids to believe that they state provides all, what do you expect?

1. profile image0

Oh ltd that's beneath even you. Is that a chicken I hear? (Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!)

Seriously, I give you a viable business idea (and a way to get around the microlending thing for your finance problems) and you go for the cheap dogma schtick.

I'd be hurt but I know you really love me. lol

I doubt people would pay to come to my funeral.  Well maybe a few people.  lol  Seriously though, CA is one of the only areas where their governor told them unless the cut back on pork spending, they'd go broke and the people told him to shut up.  They're getting everything the deserve.

1. profile image0

Well, yeah. I thought it was kind of immature when they threw Gray Davis out and replaced him with the Governator. That referendum thingie they got going there has to go. But wouldn't that actually fit your philosophy? The referendums, I mean? You know, minimal government, just let the public decide directly by referendum?

The problem isn't government or even how people elect or depose governors.  The problem is that government appoints itself overseer of all and generally speaking, screws things up.  As for mass democracy, I'm not a fan.  Mass democracy will always devolve into the majority sticking it to the minority.  That's why we were conceived as a republic, not a democracy.

I think you just don't like the Governator and that's why you think it was immature they threw him out.  It had nothing to do with the corruption in Davis' tenure did it?

1. profile image0

No actually I've grown to like Arnold more than I expected I would. I think he's done a few good things in spite of himself, and I really do think the constant referendums are what sunk the state.

You may shocked to learn I have voted both Republican and Independent in past elections.

big_smile

It's the welfare state that sunk CA.  We'd do well to heed that warning.

1. Misha profile image62

Could it be both? wink

2. profile image0

It's like a religion for you, isn't it? Certain mantras. Over and over.

Libertarians always sound like that to me. It's always about finding facts to fit the theory instead of dealing with actual issues. Like, if you just repeat the main dogmatic points often enough and passionately enough it will make it all true. I really hate that kind of politics.

No one looks at what is happening anymore and crafts a solution. All we get is this politics as religion nonsense. People start with their dogmas and mantras and just start piling them on, repeating them over and over whether they fit or not.

California was a boom state for decades until they decided they didn't want their property taxed and installed a system of endless public referendums. The problem isn't their 'welfare state', the problem is you can't run a government without funding the government. You can't have public programs and no taxes.

I should think you'd applaud the desire of Californians to pay for nothing. Soon they will have no government. That's what you want, isn't it?

2. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ugh, that sucks. That's gonna cost a lot! I was wondering about that, I sort of assumed the Staples Center was comping everything (they or concert promoters are typically responsible for hiring police for every other event they host...whatever's in the contract). Here, no one's making any profit so there is no contract.

(I still say they should've charged a few bucks for each ticket for charity!)

19. profile image0

I wonder if someone could set up an online business where people could sell advance tickets to their own funerals.

I mean, it's hard to get a loan these days. Maybe that could work better.

wink

20. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Oh sure, Pam. Way to tip off the terrorists:-).

1. profile image0

That's how we commie scum are, MM! Ruthless! lol

21. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 14 years ago

well with this economy, people have to get creative and think of ways to make a buck; even if it's at MJ 's expense.
    I have a feeling he's enjoying all the attention...hmm

22. profile image0
    Writer Riderposted 14 years ago

Greed kills money.

23. lindagoffigan profile image58
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

I hear that there were roughly 11,000 seats for about 500 million requests and that information was of first reporting. 

Some of the viewers were to be seated at the Nokia Center and the Staples Center.  One local woman won tickets and proved to be a true fan with old Michael Jackson tickets and all.

It is hoped that what SweetiePie said is right and there is a system in place out of respect to assure that ticket receivers do not try to profit from the small amount of tickets available. Also, it is true that Michael Jackson loved his fan and he loved his fans while he was alive.  Now that he is no longer with them, I think that the ticket-memorial was disrespectful and the public could have witnessed Michael Jackson's memorial service as a tribute other than with tickets that may have the propensity to get sold.

But with the supply and demand feature of any economy, the organizers of the event should have expected that this sort of ridiculous attempt at selling probably bogus tickets would emerge from the dark places of capitalism.

1. Misha profile image62

Trust me, it has nothing to do with capitalism, it worked exactly the same back in the USSR. smile

1. maven101 profile image71
        maven101posted 14 years agoin reply to this

But everything to do with greed....

1. Misha profile image62

As much as with shooting for a higher salary or investing for retirement funds increase. It has to do with earning for a living smile

24. maven101 profile image71
    maven101posted 14 years ago

Earning for a living..? What honest labor is invested in this hypocrisy of hype...?  More like taking advantage of an immature group of grieving people, much like Madoff's using investors' ignorance to line his own pockets...

25. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

The World gives us all kinds of opportunities to earn and lose. I tend to think it's up to us which ones we use, and which ones we allow to use us smile

Oh, and what honest labor is invested in investment?

26. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

And I was hoping you guys are finally getting along sad

27. profile image0

Misha, I can only play nice for so long. It's an old lady thing I think. Hormone shortage. big_smile

28. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Pam, you should know better. smile

Actually, on your post, how is almost 10% sales tax is no tax?

29. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

His whole life was a circus.  I can't believe that anyone is surprised by the lack of reverence.  I have my own karma to worry about.  I couldn't take part in that.  I am not a religious, or even very spiritual, person, but that is on them.

30. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

With all of the more interesting current events going on in the world I really do not know why people are speculating about how Jackson would think and feel about people selling tickets at his funeral.  No one made anyone buy an overpriced ticket, and the people who did so much have a lot of free spending money in this economy.

31. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

It's just a comentary on the need to make a buck on anything.

Why do you begrudge people the need to make a living?

32. profile image0
    Adam Bposted 14 years ago

I am deeply, emotionally, financially and spiritually entrenched in music.  That being said...why do people get so emotional about a pop star / rock star or whomever else that is a celebiry when they die?  Seriously...you did not know that person in the slightest. 

I love the Who, Jack Black and a few others and if they died suddenly, I would be like..."that sucks,"  but...I am not going to shed tears over it.

Heck look at all of those people who still shed tears over Kurt Cobain.  Or Elvis.  Or Gerry Garcia.  Or Jim Morrison.  Or Britney Spear....alright maybe not Britney.  tongue

33. Isabellas profile image72
    Isabellasposted 14 years ago

They were selling tickets for this? Why exactly would someone want to attend this? I am not a Michael Jackson fan, but I agree it is interesting to see that people are scalping these tickets!

34. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I think they let you do anything as soon as you show them your new profile pic. So handsome nobody can resist wink

LOL...I had to change it.  The other one was a quick snap taken by my very old, very cheap webcam and it was terrible!  Too many people were making fun of me....LOL!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)