Why doesn't my poetry have any advertisements?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (29 posts)
  1. PHILLYDREAMER profile image80
    PHILLYDREAMERposted 10 years ago

I just noticed my poems have had the advertising removed.  How will they earn income without advertisements?

2. PHILLYDREAMER profile image80
    PHILLYDREAMERposted 10 years ago

Okay, upon closer inspection, it appears my Google Ads have been removed from my shorter Hubs.  Is this a new policy of Google or HubPages?

3. To Start Again profile image70
    To Start Againposted 10 years ago

are they of a nature that google doesn't like? I have one poem that is a little racier than my others and ads were removed from it because it went against what google wants. It may not have anything to do with length but more so with content.

PHILLYDREAMERposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's the content, it's affecting all my poems and I write on a broad range of topics.

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

If you hub is very short it doesn't create "places" for the ads to be in the text.  I think this I automated.

You might be right, but it never did this before.  Today was the first time I noticed.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The ad formats have been changing around recently, especially the big top right ad.

Yes, I noticed two ads at the bottom now.  It seems a bad place to put them as a person will not likely scroll all the way down.

5. livewithrichard profile image74
    livewithrichardposted 10 years ago

I think the ads are removed from new hubs until they get at minimum of 100 page views...  Not sure if this applies to older hubs.

Um, that's a new one.  Where did you hear that?  All my hubs have ads as soon as they pass QAP

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not quite right - the big top right ad floated to the right is missing, but that's all.

Yes the ad formats have changes.  But that doesn't relate to the timing of them.  It probably does account for the difference noticed by OP though.

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That single is indeed gone for the first 100 visits, and promptly re-instated after that point.

It doesn't have anything to do with the OP, just as you say.

That is a new weirdness.  Was it announced somewhere?

I wonder the point of that change is.

1. janderson99 profile image55
                janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nope it was not announced officially. It is part of the 'test for a few days' that has lasted 2 weeks. The reason stated:
                "We are testing less ads on Hubs with very few lifetime (mostly new) views to see if it impacts traffic to new Hubs."
                http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/113839#post2424053

2. janderson99 profile image55

Yep it applies to Older Hubs - If less than 100 views the 250x250 ad top right gets pulled. Also applies to all new hubs - ad pulled until 100+ views - Not a great incentive to write new hubs is it?? My guess is that this ad generates 50% of revenue to the author from the page if click based. Related Search ads are posted on everything and are unafffected.

6. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

The poetry Hub I just published a few hours ago has the big ad on the right and a banner ad at the top.

The skyscraper is there, but not the one shown below:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8139788_f248.jpg

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow.  Maybe that's because the first picture I have on that Hub is really long.  The poetry Hub I published on June 10 (Divorce Poems) has an ad in that space and the other two poetry Hubs I published very recently show an ad in that space.

Do they both have more than 100 views?  None of my hubs with less than 100 views have that ad.

I had a quick look and I cannot see this ad which should appear in the 'Text area" . It gets shoved around by the images and may appear down the page, but I cannot see it.

2. Writer Fox profile image31
            Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The three poetry Hubs that I have which have been published longer than a day have more than 100 views each.  (They are ranking pretty well right now on Google.)  So, maybe that 100-view criteria is real.

7. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I looked at my hubs and they do indeed follow this pattern.  Only those with at least 100 "ever" views have the box ad--assuming the are formatted in they way that normally makes it appear.  It does require a medium-large text module near the top.

IMO it's far too long to wait after publishing a new hub with the best earning ad on the page disabled. The Related Search ads remain.
      I have stopped publishing as a result, until I know if this is permanent.

8. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Yup, PHILLY. I just checked and I have 4 poetry hubs with under a hundred views that only have the skyscrapper to the far right and the ads at the bottom. They are not that short, one is quite long so I guess that's the way it is for now. It appears to be about traffic.

I have a few Hubs under 100 views that have all the advertising.  Maybe HP is just experimenting to see where the best ad placements are.

9. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Just to continue the discussion, the new poetry Hub that I published less than 24 hours ago now has the Adsense unit below my intro picture.  Yes, it now has 100 views but, truthfully, most of those were my views intermittently over the two days I spent uploading the content of more than 6,000 words and 41 photos BEFORE I published the Hub!

Now, that Hub has:
    a top banner above the header
    a long skyscraper ad on the right column
    an Adsense box unit below my first picture
    a 'Related Search' Adsense unit with five links
    links to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and join HubPages in the right sidebar

– all before you finish reading the Table of Contents in my Hub!

For those of you who don't have this much advertising high on your Hubs, why in the world would you want it?

The advertising is how you make money from Google.  The ads should be in a highly visible position to grab the readers attention.  The bottom of the hubs is considered the least visible position.  The ads are nearly invisible there.

2. psycheskinner profile image82

Holding the box ad for 100+ hubs suggests to me that it has value.  But only Hubpages would know for sure.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)