HP Link Structure Directs Search Uses AWAY from Original Page

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

You would think that having an original article on HP would mean that searches for your Unique Title and Description (summary) would always link directly back to your original page. However this is wrong, due to the HP link structure.

Description (summary text) - If you search for this text using a google search, the page that will be shown is the topic page it is displayed on and your profile page, never the original page. Google does not index using the description tag text, so it only finds it on pages that extract the description tag and include it within the body of the text - topic pages and profile pages - that don't point to the original hub.

As shown below (SERPS) a search for the orginal title (with ‘hubpages’added at the end) displays the original article, the topic page (or pages), which does not direct to the original article AND several UNRELATED hubs with the title in the snippet text.

The reason for this is that the bot finds hubs that have the title of the article in the ‘Discover more Hubs’ links on the bottom of the hubs. The unfortunate consequence of this is it draws traffic away from the original hub. One good argument against  ‘Discover more Hubs’.

Original Hub
    #### Turkish Gozleme Recipes with Feta, Spinach, Meat, Vegetables, Herbs
    janderson99.hubpages(dot)com/.../Turkish-Gozleme-Recipes-with-Feta-Spinach-Meat-Vegetables-Herbs - Cached
    22 Jun 2013 ... Gozleme is a delightful stuffed Turkish flat bread made with minced lamb,
    spinach, feta cheese, herbs and spices. There are many variations.
    Topic Page
    ####  Middle Eastern Cuisine - World Cuisines - HubPages.com
    hubpages(dot)com/topics/food-and-cooking/world-cuisines/.../1740 - Cached
    Turkish Gozleme Recipes with Feta, Spinach, Meat, Vegetables, Herbs. by
    janderson99 (411 followers). Gozleme is a delightful stuffed Turkish flat bread
    made ...
    UNRELATED
    ####How to Make Spanakopita - mkjohnston81 - HubPages
    mkjohnston81.hubpages(dot)com/.../How-to-Make-Spanakopita - Cached
    15 Apr 2013 ... Turkish Gozleme Recipes with Feta, Spinach, Meat, Vegetables, Herbs • Home
    Made Pizza with Mozzarella, Olives and Anchovies - Pizza ...
    UNRELATED
    #### Yakitori: Yakitori Sauce Recipes for Grilling
    summerberrie(dot)hubpages.com/.../Japanese-Food-Char-Grill-Yakitori-Meat-Recipes - Cached
    15 May 2013 ... Yakitori sauce recipes for marinades and dipping for you own Yakitori. ... Turkish
    Gozleme Recipes with Feta, Spinach, Meat, Vegetables, Herbs
    • The Most Versatile

1. Dale Hyde profile image79
      Dale Hydeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This would explain my continuing drop in traffic.  It is such a drastic drop over the past six months that I only come in to check for broken links and head out.  Have not posted new material here in several months.  I HAVE moved material from here that HP has non-indexed.

I just will keep hanging out and see if what all the HP cheerleaders say is true, to be patient, that traffic will come back.  HP KNOWS what they are doing.

2. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is a simple reason for this and, fortunately, a simple solution.  It has nothing to do with 'link structure.' 

Your Hub 'Summary' is on the Topic pages and on your subdomain Profile page, but is NOT on the page of your actual Hub.  There, it is automatically programmed as the 'Description Tag.' When you put your 'Summary' into a Google search box, it finds the text where the text exists.  It doesn't find the text on your Hub, so Google doesn't give your actual Hub as the first search result, but gives the webpages where the text is found. (Because both of these pages link to your Hub, your Hub is also included in the results.)

To solve the problem, put the 'Summary' at the beginning of your Hub as the lead-in.  You can look at any of my Hubs and see how I have done this.

Try this on a few of your Hubs, wait for Google to crawl and index, then see if this method doesn't work for you.

2. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 10 years ago

This depresses me as much as the Related Searches. I'm sure HubPages knows what they're doing. So why would they do this? Oh wait, are there ads on the Topic Pages that Hubbers don't get a share of? Oh yes, you bet. Look at the menu on the left. First the Topic Menu, then the Q&A, AND THEN THRE'S THE ADSENSE AD! It's not on our hubs on it's 100% Hubpages.

When I looked at this one http://hubpages.com/topics/arts-and-des … rayons/56, I saw a block of eight adsense ads. Granted this might be based on my searches so others might not see a gigantic ad block.
    And some Hubbers are worried about HubPages making money. I think they are raking it in.

3. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

I noticed this a while ago, on one of my more popular hubs. I went to pingomatic wrote out the title of the page, added the link now its back to showing the real page, not sure if it stays like that or not, but its worth a try, okay?

4. tillsontitan profile image81
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

Nell's suggestion sounds like a good one.  Maybe we should give it a try for a couple of our best hubs and see what happens.  I know I've been losing traffic and am willing to try almost anything to get it back.

5. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 10 years ago

I wrote a hub on how to sell goods on Facebook and it has been on Page 1 of Google search results  for heaven knows how long. The reason why is simple...

To get a hub to number 4 in search the top results pages means putting 100% solid information and facts on the hub. Some Hubbers want to sometimes write about other things. So some Hubs will always be more read, more searched for and more financially rewarding for their creators than others. So be it.

Bottom line is that information that is highly valued and sought after will be searched and found. And those hubs will be shown. My hub appears in the results, not my profile. Anytime I publish a hub like that, I get read a lot by readers. I know some writers who have hub accounts and they also have blogs where they are replicating the successes of good hubs on domains that they own, and so they are successful. That is a dream for some writers here.

Write a hub about something you'd want people to read about because it is important and useful and original. That's when having Hub Pages becomes worthwhile and financially attractive. I still believe that. Different writers put a different value on their writing, some are in it for the earnings, some are in to writing for the love of writing.

6. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 10 years ago

With or Without any hollow justification...

This style of 'play' has been going on for at least 2 Years!
    I learned a long time ago that some think it is ethical to only 'play' with a Full Deck of cards
    and
    Some consider the 'play' on all matters 'ethical' to be subjective enough as to allow and justify the questionable gains to be made, when only 40% of the Deck is used!
    Doubtless, HP know exactly the true interpretation of 'Ethics'... probably as equally as many of the article thieves that systematically rape our hard work!  sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)