"Related Searches" ads Controversy: 2 Links versus 11 Links

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (44 posts)
  1. God is in kitchn2 profile image58
    God is in kitchn2posted 10 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8155720_f248.jpg
    Well, many know, that I have been wrestling with this "related searches" ads thingy for quite a few days now. I took me some effort to figure it out what it actually is, but I got the answer. I'm finished with the calculations... almost. Here is the final analysis, with solutions:-

1) The "Related Searches" are links, and not ads.

2) The 60/40 revenue split refers only to ads placed on a hub, not to revenue  collected from any links, so the "related searches" links do not break the contract between HubPages and its writers.

3) However, the "related searches" are commercial links.

4) How many commercial links are hubbers allowed to post per hub? The answer is: 2.

5) The problem is here: Most hubbers do not use commercial links. Those who choose to do, can post maximum 2 links per hub. But there are already 11 commercial links now on every hub, called "related searches". Two links versus eleven links.

6) This current configuration is grossly unfair. HubPages administration has two solutions to correct the problem. Either they raise the maximum limit of commercial links allowed to hubbers, to 11; or they cut down the "related searches" links into 2.

7) The "related seaches" links should be conditional. Only those hubs, which have commercial link(s) posted by hubbers, should be allowed to have "related searches" links. And the number of commercial links posted by hubbers, should determine the number of "related searches" links on those hubs.

1. Writer Fox profile image30
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you have a duplicate thread going here.  But I posted a reply to this on your other thread:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/113943?page=17

God is in kitchn2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The 'related searches' look like Google AdWords links, but they are not. AdWords links directly take you to the destinations of the advertisements. Whereas the "related searches" links work as keywords for a page of 'relevant' ad, which then takes you to the destination of that advertisement.

HP knows this very well, and that is why they are so confident.

Have a look here -   http://www.ehow.com/facts_5766101_nutri … rries.html

[Btw: You should have posted the reply here, and posted on that thread the permalink. Because this is the new thread. ]

That link took me to a page about 'Edible juniper berries', so I don't quite understand your point.

If you go to one of your Hubs and copy the 'Related Search' capsule and paste it into a Word document (without clicking on anything), you will find this URL code when you put your cursor over the 'Related Search' text:

www.[XXX]google.com/url?ct=abg&q=https://www.google.com/adsense/ etc.

That identifies it as a session ID of Google AdWords.  It's an AdWords ad unit.

"Nutrition of Edible Juniper Berries"

If you follow that link and observe that page a bit, you'll find Ad units on its pages with blocks to the right and at the bottom.

Right Block Label  Related Ads, which work just like the "Related Searches" linkunits. Because HubPages 'related' searches are not really 'related', so I suggested that page. You can compare.

Whatever.  But the fact remains that 'Related Searches' is a Google AdSense program and Hub authors should be paid the agreed and advertised percentage for clicks.

Every 'AD BY GOOGLE' isn't Adsense ad.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
                  psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So what else can it be?

Google ad.

2. Writer Fox profile image30

In this case it is because that's what the URL is.

I see. I will check that.

2. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

Just to clarify a bit.

Sounds like you're classifying a "commercial link" as one to any page that has income producing ads on it.  As you say, the RS links are commercial because they go to a page with ads.  It also sounds like you are distinguishing between an ad and a link - ads are links that earn by clicking or viewing while links don't.  OK.

We are allowed unlimited "commercial links", although limited to two per domain.  Except HubPages (and a handful of "authority sites"), where we are allowed unlimited links.  Even RS links follow this rule, as do the other links (both commercial and not) that HP puts on each hub.  HP does not even take advantage of the "two links per domain" that we do.

Fair by the letter of the agreement?  Yes, of course.  A little sneaky and skirting the edge?  Also yes, of course.

Either you haven't read the Opening Post, or you don't want to. . .

HubPages now has 11 commercial links on every hub, while hubbers can have maximum 2 commercial links per hub. It's grossly unfair.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And apparently you didn't read the post or don't want to... 

Every hub can have unlimited commercial links, limited only by two per domain, except for those to HP pages which are unlimited.  Saying it is limited to two doesn't make it so.  RS links are to HP pages, which are unlimited.  Fair.

So HP can have any number of commercial links per domain, while writers have only 2?

2. God is in kitchn2 profile image58

And please explain this section. . .

"Except HubPages (and a handful of "authority sites"), where we are allowed unlimited links.  Even RS links follow this rule, as do the other links (both commercial and not) that HP puts on each hub.  HP does not even take advantage of the "two links per domain" that we do."

From the learning center, http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/publ … d_22732854
            "Rule 1: Your Hub can have a maximum of 2 links to any one domain. Links in the image source field in the Photo Capsule count toward this limit." (bolding added).  You can link to 50 domains if you wish, just no more than twice to each one.

"Links to well-known resources like Wikipedia, news sites, etc., are not held to this same standard."  HP has always considered HP pages to be in this category; a good thing as I typically link to a half dozen other hubs, both my own and other hubbers.

This, then, should be self-explanatory.  RS links (all 11) to go HP pages, where we are allowed unlimited linking.  We are allowed as many commercial links as we wish, limited only by 2 per domain (such as HubPages.com).

You haven't really explained this one. . .

"Even RS links follow this rule, as do the other links (both commercial and not) that HP puts on each hub.  HP does not even take advantage of the "two links per domain" that we do.""

C'mon, Gik!  Hp does NOT put ANY links to any domain other than HP - how much clearer can I be?  We are ALL, including HP, allowed unlimited links to HP - we ALL follow the rule of no more than 2 links to any domain outside of HP.

How can hubbers have their own "Related Searches"? How can we all do the same thing that HP is doing?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
                    psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Even if we could I am not sure how that would help with the problem of these links siphoning our potential earnings away..

2. wilderness profile image94

Start your own site.  You can put all the HTML on it you want, and even split earnings with other people you allow to write as long as they follow your rules.

3. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 10 years ago

Hubpages does not allow affiliate marketing types to link to their sites, if they are filled with products  - or at least that's what several of my friends have experienced. So it's not a freebie to link out to any site.

Now that everyone knows about the Related Searches, it's their decision to continue to write here. As I continue to see things like the ads on topic pages and a linking scheme to promote them over our hubs, it's apparent to me that things just keep getting worse for Hubbers. Again as long as Hubbers can get this information to make informed decisions about the deck that is being stacked against them, it's their choice.

HubPages staff are getting much better at hiding their profit centers in plain sight.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

4. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

I'm confused.
    I have had warnings against more than 2 links to my own hubs and have had to reduce their numbers accordingly to get my Hubs re-featured. Yet I see many Hubs by others with a whole list of links to their own hubs at the bottom of their articles resembling the former RSS capsule. What's going on?

To your own hubs or to other sites you own?

If the former there has to be something more to it.  Maybe the hubs aren't considered relevant to the topic or maybe there is some kind of glitch.

1. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To my own Hubs and they were all relevant because most of my articles are in the same niche. Yet some hubs I read have no less than 6 or 7 links to their own Hubs, that is 6 or 7 links to the same domain.

Being in the same niche won't mean they are necessarily relevant - I've seen (and written in) some pretty large "niches". smile

Having said that, HP seems to take a pretty wide view of relevancy - it doesn't really sound like that's the problem.  Whereupon I have no other suggestions.

2. profile image0
      DigbyAdamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is a really gray area on Hubpages and everyone seems to have a different interpretation.

If you link to the same website across many of your Hubs, then HubPages usually finds this to be too commercial - even if the content is relevant. If you just link out to the same website in a few of your Hubs it's seems to be okay for some websites. Different Hubbers have been treated differently on this matter. There is no exact number or ratio that is a given.

HubPages does not accept links to all websites. I know people who have been told that their link went to a website that is too spammy and commercial. The Hubber in question had over 50 Hubs and only one hub had a link to the site.

It probably depends upon the reviewer and the site and the mood of HubPages at the time. There are a lot of Hubbers in my family. We've all had different experiences. We all make our living in affiliate marketing and HubPages has been very difficult to work with over the past few years.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

The 2 links rule does not apply to hubpages or to a list of other basic resource sites like Wikipedia.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I have never heard of this rule being applied to links *to* hubs.  You can link to other hubs as much as you want.

7. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

We shall never understand the inconsistencies of HP. To get back to this thread about the dreaded Related Search ads, please Vote about it here http://simeyc.hubpages.com/hub/Related-Searches

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)