What are your spiritual needs and how do you fulfill them?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8163300.jpg
    I am a spiritual person -- this does not define my beliefs or my religion. What it does mean is that I am true to myself and my beliefs. I was raised a Christian and still have the basic beliefs, that God and Jesus do exist. I pray to God and I talk with Jesus for guidance and healing -- I also believe in the Great Mother and often ask her for guidance. I daily look within myself to listen to the voice of my soul. I give myself the time and space I need to know myself and love myself, so that I have more to give to others. I find that I am most in tune with Native American beliefs, especially the Oglala Lakhota.  I have studied different religions over several years and find that all roads lead to the same place: Spiritual Peace.

Being spiritual is a natural thing for me. I believe that anyone, regardless of their belief/religion can be spiritual.

How do you fulfill your own spiritual needs?

1. Dee aka Nonna profile image58
      Dee aka Nonnaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is such a wonderful question and I totally enjoyed what you said about you.

I do a number of things depending on the situation, etc.  I read something that will give me insight;  I pray or meditate;  I just sit quietly---no TV, radio, etc.   One thing that can fill me with peace is watching a sunrise or sunset, so when I really need to give myself something extra special I take a short drive to a nearby river to watch either the sunrise (to begin my day with joy and expectation) or sunset (to end the day with peace and gratitude.)

Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dee, Thank you for your thoughts. I rarely turn on the tv or radio. I live alone and enjoy my space and the quiet. My patio faces a little mountain. During the day, if I want to mediate or get inspiration, I sit out there and gaze at the wildlife (small critters, brushes, sage, boulders, etc), during the evening, I gaze at the stars and listen to the sounds of night life in the desert and on the mountain. It is a very peaceful place where I live and I feel blessed to have found this home.

1. Dee aka Nonna profile image58
          Dee aka Nonnaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Phyllis, It sounds absolutely wonderful.  What a blessing.

2. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great question. I, like you, believe in God and Jesus, pray to them, etc. but I also love and revere Mother Earth and commune with nature. For me, its all a part of one another and I uphold my respect and devotion to all that sustains me in my own way, not as others tell me that I should. I also consider myself very spiritual. I spend a lot of time outdoors, walking in nature, gardening, growing flowers, admiring and spending time with animals, and just sitting by a flowing stream or by a tree and just quietly reflecting on the beauty that is.

MysticMoonlight, I also revere Mother Earth. Native Americans believe we should walk softly upon Mother Earth and do what we can to heal Her. I commune with Nature daily and find great peace in that. Thank you for contributing to this forum. I hope you come back again.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

To all who have or will comment in this forum, I thank you and appreciate your comments. I enjoy reading your thoughts and sharing mine.

Someone asked me: "Why did you not submit this as a 'Question'?"  My reply was that to submit it as a question would mean I would have to choose the best answer and there is no best answer in general for this question. Each person who responds, does so with their own unique thoughts and beliefs and that is highly respected by me.

4. profile image0
      riddle666posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean by that? I was trying to figure out what the meaning of your statement is, but couldn't yet. If it is emotional needs like love...., I have my family.

Hi riddle666.

As shown in Bing Dictionary, the definition of spiritual (adj) is:
            of soul: relating to the soul or spirit, usually in contrast to material things
            of religion: relating to religious or sacred things rather than worldly things
            temperamentally or intellectually akin: connected by an affinity of the mind, spirit, or temperament
        Synonyms: religious, holy, sacred, divine, heavenly, saintly

My awareness/meaning of spiritual is "of soul: relating to the soul or spirit, usually in contrast to material things" and being true to my own beliefs, having faith in myself.

You say your emotional needs, like love, is your family. That is a good part of being spiritual in my opinion. To know, love, and have faith in yourself is also a part of being spiritual. To have faith and belief in a supreme being is spiritual. Read some of the other comments by others in this forum and you will get a better idea of what spiritual means to different people.

Thank you for participating, riddle666.

1. profile image0

I read the other comments and found that what they(including you) are describing is emotional needs, the feeling of love, confidence(faith in one self).
          The problem with spirit is, it is the same as the totality of the personality of a person... and I can't find a need in personality(but may be confidence can be considered one, but that is emotional, though emotion is included in the definition of personality). I can understand spirituality like that, but still I cannot understand the 'need'.
          "To have faith and belief in a supreme being is spiritual. "
          Here I have a problem. To believe in "supreme being" I should know what he said. I (as far as I am aware, no living sane person) have never seen or heard from him, so how can I (anyone) believe him?
          Is believing other people who says there is god and talk for him, be considered spiritual?
          Or is it the "need" to believe that there is a higher being, called the "spiritual need"?

riddle666, for many people there is a need to believe there is a higher (or supreme) being. I should re-phrase my statement of "To have faith and belief in a supreme being is spiritual." and add: "For some, to have faith and belief in a supreme being is a spiritual need for them." I believe that each person has a need for something that gives them peace, whatever that may be in each case. The belief that others who say there is a god and talk for him, is a spiritual need for some. I do not feel the need to have someone tell me what I should believe. If I do not feel it is right within me, how can I believe it?

You ask, "To believe in "supreme being" I should know what he said. I (as far as I am aware, no living sane person) have never seen or heard from him, so how can I (anyone) believe him?" I agree with you. All my life, because I was born into a Christian family, I have been told what to believe. I was given answers from the KJV bible when I asked questions. When I began seeking my own answers, I found that the bible is all the word of man, not God. And, the bible has changed many times over the centuries. Each time it is re-written, a group of scholars and religious people get together and decide what the interpretations of the original authors mean. This does not work for me, for some it does.

I saw a poster the other day showing a group of children in school. The caption was: "Children should not be told what to think. Children should be told HOW to think."  That makes a lot of sense to me. Far too many people have been raised to believe their is only one way to achieve eternal peace -- which has created far too many young adults who are lost because they see there are other opinions and do not know what is truth for themselves, so they seek some sense of peace, often in bad places or with drugs, or they become vulnerable to those who wish to control others. For me, peace does not come from any bible or any book, but, from within myself.

And who is to say that what Paul, John, or any of the original authors of the bible were right? If you read their books in the bible, they each have their own versions of what happened.

You wrote: "The problem with spirit is, it is the same as the totality of the personality of a person... and I can't find a need in personality(but may be confidence can be considered one, but that is emotional, though emotion is included in the definition of personality). I can understand spirituality like that, but still I cannot understand the 'need'." Yes, I believe that spirit is the totality of a person, or the essence of who that person truly is. The way I believe, the "need" is based on what each individual feels they must have to be happy in life and to accept themselves.  Personality is a rather confusing term. We are labeled with personality types that may or may not be true. I have always been labeled as shy and quiet. I am quiet, yes, but shy? No. I just talk when I feel I have something important to say. I do not talk just for the purpose of talking -- so, I have never been labled as "outgoing", "confident", "assertive", or anything other than quiet and shy. So, to me, personality is a misnomer -- I prefer the term "I am who I am".  smile And, I am quite comfortable with who I am.

As I said in the beginning, I believe that each individual has an inherent right to find their own truths and have faith in their truths, faith in their self. This is the basis of spirituality for me.

1. profile image0

Thank you Phyllis Doyle,
              That was a well thought out and coherent reply.
              So my answer is, I don't know. I am happy the way I am but am I always happy? No, but I don't remain like that for too much of a time either, it simply goes off just like it came. I, most of the times, does not feel any need nor I think about it other than the usual human stuff like food and all. I don't feel the need to have anything.

You are most welcome, riddle666 -- and thank you for your comments. You are happy the way you are, so, that is good.  As long as one is happy the way they are, there is little need for anything else in their life. smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
              A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but everything you describe is indeed "materialistic satisfaction or fulfillment"

In other words, spiritual means having religion. Yeah, we already knew that.

But, someone else has already told you what you should believe, that's why you have religion.

But, there is nothing else you can refer to support your beliefs other than the bible. It has to work for you, there is no other way.

Sorry, I do not agree with you. There is nothing materialistic about my spirituality. I gain spiritual strength and growth from within myself, when I help others, when I walk in nature, when I feel good about myself. I do not have a religion, really. If you want to call it religion, then my religion is my way of life and faith in myself.

Also, no one told me what to believe, except when I was a child. What I believe as an adult came from my own instincts and experiences in life and is right for me.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
                  A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But, everything you've described thus far was of the material world.

That's nice. Those are all of the material world, they are more or less the same for everyone.

Yes, you have religion.

Like most other believers, you've tweaked the characteristics of Jesus to be your personal invisible friend.

Material nature? Being material is owning/possessing THINGS. I am not a materialistic person. And -- I will not get into a debate with you about your views. You can believe what you like. I know my truths, you do not. I would like to add that you obviously are a troubled man, as your screen name implies.

5. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Silence

I so understand that, pennyofheaven.  smile

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 10 years ago

This is a wonderful question and one that is easy for me to answer. I am not religious, as I profess no religion as defined by man. I am a spiritual person and have been formally trained in metaphysics, mostly Tibetan spiritual beliefs. Although the school went out of business many years ago, a group of alumni formed and we have met together for the last 35 years to do full moon and new moon meditations to bring down energies (of light) to be distributed on earth. I believe that the energies meditated into this realm by us and by others similar to our group were a major part of the Earth’s Ascension of last December. I continue to work with these energies, including the energies of Archangels Michael and Metatron. I guess if I have a “religion” that would be it. I also do Reike.
    I am part Native American but I do not work with shamanism like my husband does. I do enjoy his healing flute work, and we often discuss the similarities in our spiritual work. Together we find life in the plant kingdom, although I take my beliefs a step further. I not only spend time with plants, I talk to rocks! And if I listen, they speak to me, well, not really, but they have an awareness that comes through telepathically if you let your mind be still. The mineral kingdom is very alive, especially the crystals, and I have an interest (thought not developed into a skill) in crystal healing. These spirits are all part of Gaea, as are we, the humans, and I love working with them all.

MizBejabbers, like you, I have no religion that is defined by man. Nature is my church, rainbows are my stained glass windows. Oh my gosh, you talk with rocks -- so do I. I feel such deep spiritual qualities in rocks and gems. I often make a crystal grid when needing to draw positive energy into my home or my self. I paint rocks according to what they tell me. I collect unusual shaped rocks that speak to me. I make "Rain Rocks" and keep them in a basket -- Hmmmm .... I think I will write a hub on my Rain Rocks. I so agree with you, Nature's spirits are all part of Gaea, as we are. Blessings to you.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
        MizBejabbersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Awesome! Do write the hub, I would love to read it.

3. Zelkiiro profile image88
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

Considering that I have no belief in any spiritualistic whatevers, I'll read this instead as "intellectual/emotional needs," to which I'll have some answer.

For me, I need to have art in my life at all times--music, movies, drawings, theater, fiction, you name it--and I demand that it be intellectually stimulating (e.g. a philosophical novel) or emotionally rewarding (e.g. a feel-good action anime).

If I cannot engage my brain or invest any emotion into it, then I want no part of it (I'm looking at you, Fate/Stay Night, you loathsome piece of shyte).

Well, thank you for your thoughts, Zelkiro. I feel that the way you fulfill your "intellectual/emotional needs" is a form of spirituality, for you are being true to yourself. I admire anyone who can be true to their own beliefs. Art is a very creative and comforting thing to have in life. I like art in my life, too -- some music, my creative beading, drawing, and museum pieces, are part of my life that inspires me and engages my intellectual side. Archaeology fascinates me and also triggers my intellect and curiosity in cultures and history.

4. profile image53
    rob chambersposted 10 years ago

I'm confused by the word spiritual. I don't even know what this means. I feel great and positive after a workout.

Hi Rob. To me, spiritual is your true self, the essence of all that you are. It is not a materialistic satisfaction or fulfillment, but, the kind of fulfillment you realize that you have faith in yourself, you love and respect yourself, little things make you happy, you feel joy in the things you like to do, you just feel good about life and who you are. Working out makes you feel great and positive -- that is part of your spirituality. Walking in Nature is one way I feel great and positive. As shown in Bing Dictionary, the definition of spiritual (adj) is:
          of soul: relating to the soul or spirit, usually in contrast to material things
          of religion: relating to religious or sacred things rather than worldly things
          temperamentally or intellectually akin: connected by an affinity of the mind, spirit, or temperament
      Synonyms: religious, holy, sacred, divine, heavenly, saintly

Have a great day, Rob. Thanks for contributing your thoughts in this forum and I hope you come back, read, and share more with us. May you always walk in peace and harmony.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

The meaning and purpose in my life does not come from a believe in entities on a spiritual plane, thus I do not call it spirituality.

6. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 10 years ago

I don't have any spiritual needs. Spirituality has been forced on me. I would prefer my old life back, minus the materialality.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)