Google Announced Algorithm Update Through Week of July 4th

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

There was a tweet from Matt Cutts announcing a multi-week algorithm update that will last through the week of July 4th.  I haven't heard if this is the Panda softening or something else...Just a heads up that it's rolling out.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://i.imgflip.com/255k4.jpg
      Not really. lol

1. Hikapo profile image76
        Hikapoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lol..

( •_•)
        ( •_•)>⌐◥▶-◀◤
        (⌐◥▶_◀◤)

2. agilitymach profile image92
        agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Snicker

3. susi10 profile image97
        susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

smile

4. Woodmckinney profile image65
        Woodmckinneyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha!!! you just made my day!

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you're curious, there is quite a bit of chatter about this update and things like mozcast show signs of changes, but we aren't really seeing anything too significant.    We think that May 8th/9th was an unannounced panda update.  Very few algo changes besides Panda tend to significantly impact us, so this may very well be something different.  Unless, the long rollout means Panda impact is still coming.....

Whatever is going on, I'm extremely happy with it. This is the best traffic I've seen in quite some time.

1. pinappu profile image82
          pinappuposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is your super long titles are liked by big G?

3. Savio Dawson profile image92
      Savio Dawsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yipee!!!!

2. HollieT profile image79
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

I hope it's already started to roll out, because Google's just started to be exceedingly nice to my hubs!

3. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

It started last Friday.

Barry Schwartz made this post about it:
    http://www.seroundtable.com/google-upda … 16981.html

I know you follow him, Paul, and respect his comments.  He also said that the target was spam queries, not necessarily Panda. "Matt said that this impacts about 0.3% of U.S. queries but up to 4% or so of Turkish queries where spam is a larger part of the index there."

In the light of that, I noticed on the Quantcast 'real time' feature that HubPages is getting a lot of hits from Turkey.  Why is that?

1. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Seriously?  I thought MTurks had to be in America.

just joking

1. Writer Fox profile image31
            Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It was funny.

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 10 years ago

Thanks for the info, Paul E and Writer Fox.  I guess, as usual, we will have to see how it pans out over the next couple of weeks.

5. findwholeness profile image88
    findwholenessposted 10 years ago

I agree, my hubs have been doing awesome in the last week or so. My traffic bumped up enough that I'll get my first payout this month (my first hub was in April).

1. Woodmckinney profile image65
      Woodmckinneyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wooo!!!! Congrats!!

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

I'm not seeing much movement across hubs, but there are some noticeable gains in QnA so far.

No real recovery since the May 9 slump

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8144219_f248.jpg

7. twentyfive profile image78
    twentyfiveposted 10 years ago

Thank you for the update Paul smile

8. Astra Nomik profile image62
    Astra Nomikposted 10 years ago

Thank you for the news update, Paul. My hubs are now all featured. Phew. I hope this one goes okay for everyone.

9. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 10 years ago

I am seeing one or two hubs experiencing traffic surges.  It will be temporary, I'm sure.  But it's the sort of thing that happens during algo updates.

10. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Thanks for keeping us informed, Paul - I am seeing red arrows in a few hubs (nice to see them!), but traffic is still very much down from what it was two months ago.  *sigh*

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
      SmartAndFunposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mine too. I'm glad to see that I'm in good company, Marcy.

2. aa lite profile image86
      aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep, no improvement in my traffic here.  Honestly it all worked so well March 14th-May 9th, why couldn't they just keep it that way????

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know.  Roll out period is supposed to be up to around the 4th July, so there's still hope, I guess.

11. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

I'll just say this.

The reason for constantly changing the algorithm is that they still cannot get it right.  It is an admission that they, their programmers, designers, people in charge, are useless. 

The constant release of updates and incoherent tweets from the humorless moron called Matt Cutts - who is regarded as a guru simply by the fact that he appears to wield power.. although not control - demonstrates how utterly rubbish this whole exercise has been.

It has taken this monopoly abusing, tax-evading, eavesdropping corporation over TWO YEARS of tweaking and fiddling around...

... and they still can't get it right!.

Anyone else would have been sacked long ago.  It is pathetic.

Seriously, what do you really think? big_smile

2. aa lite profile image86

Yep, you'd think after 2 years of "focusing on quality" there would be some stability in the SERPs.  But then if they "crack it" Mr Cutts, and all his minions will probably be out of a job, so you can see why they keep finding things to "fix".

3. sabrebIade profile image80
      sabrebIadeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow Mark...you said exactly what I feel.
      ::sniff::

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lol... don't set me off again!

4. aa lite profile image86

You mean the Moses of SEO?  http://www.techwyse.com/blog/search-eng … -to-avoid/

The link is to a pretty funny picture of the 10 commandments according to Matt.  Actually I think it is pretty rubbish, HP is not guilty of most of them (except maybe 9) and yet we keep getting slapped.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great pic of Matt.

12. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 10 years ago

I really hope the Google Algorithm update turns to be good for all of us.

13. Solaras profile image97
    Solarasposted 10 years ago

I experienced a slight increase in traffic last week (10%), but now over the last 2 days it seems to have dropped by 50%.

14. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

I look at it this way, as every other time that google mess around with all the pandas, elephants and a couple of meercats, maybe this time it will make us all rich I say, Rich ha ha ha ha ha....sorry, a moment of madness there! lol!

15. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Traffic not bad for a Sunday.

16. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 10 years ago

My traffic average can not drop too much lower, however, maybe I will log in one day soon and "owe" views and have negative numbers reflecting in my stats!

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8157339_f248.jpg

1. Solaras profile image97
      Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol!!

1. Solaras profile image97
        Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I did have some negative numbers the other day  - seems to have corrected itself.

17. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

Sadly, Quantcast shows that Pageviews (US) today, are the lowest since Christmas.

18. Pinkchic18 profile image67
    Pinkchic18posted 10 years ago

LOVE the pic, so true! lol

19. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

Love the CPM boost  - way to go!

1. susi10 profile image97

Yes, the CPM has gone up! smile

I wonder whether its because of the start of the month,  or because the shared revenue ad, on the left, right of the bottom of the page, has been restored - It went AWOL for a few days!
        Anyway hope springs eternal  - finally some good news!

1. susi10 profile image97

Yes, I was wondering that myself... hmm
          At least that is something for us to celebrate about! big_smile

20. Astra Nomik profile image62
    Astra Nomikposted 10 years ago

My traffic and page reads are rising. Yaaay.  I don't know who to thank, but.... yaaaaaaaayyy. LOL smile

21. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 10 years ago

My Hub traffic and daily earnings have been climbing through this whole stretch as well.

Stop being tempting, HP! I was leaving my hub portfolio to percolate for a while, taking time off from third party platforms to work on making my own websites and blogs more effective. (Traffic? Traffic I can do. Monetization? Ahahahaha.)

22. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Some of my great traffic- getters have moved  to second page.  Boo hoo. But congrats to y'all with good news.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)