Existence of the Material World

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 10 years ago

Bishop Berkeley makes this argument (simplified) to argue against the existence of an external material world.

1.  "Material objects" are simply collections of "sensible qualities" (sensory data).

2.  Sensible qualities are mind-dependent.

3.  Therefore, material objects are mind-dependent. (1,2).

4.  Therefore, there is no external material world. (3).

I am really looking for people with science backgrounds to give me their objections to premise 1 and 2.  However,  if anyone has a good argument against Berkeley's premises, aside from, "He is crazy," or, "I don't like that conclusion," then feel free to make it!  I want more clarity on this argument.

I'm also not a Berkeley expert, so I refer you to this source- http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/berkeley/

1. profile image0
      riddle666posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Interesting!(though Descartes in another form)
      I too have been plagued by this for years. My take was a little different. It's like this. Suppose an adult with all faculties except for the absence of all sense organs weer born, what would happen? What will he think? For him, there is no world. He does not even move because he doesn't know he is standing. He will not even feel any movements and all he knows is that of a consciousness of self, with darkness all around.
      So if that was the case, as Berkeley argues, then what are we seeing? From where did we got the perfect shapes that we see(using only one sense for simplification)? Are we hallucinating? Without any prior sensation or awareness we can't have any knowledge of material world. As there is no way of having any knowledge, we should not see any. But as we see(which can be prevented by placing my own hand in front of my eyes), then there is only one reason, there is one. So, we can only define existence(for in the end it is a question of semantics rather than properly formulated arguments), cannot depend on "experience".
      PS: I presume he put forward the argument for god. If his is the case, if no material world is outside, then I am the sole person existing and even god is my mere thought. I AM the ETERNAL BEING.

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Berkeley says they come from God tongue.  Annoying huh?

1. profile image0

He is refuting his own argument, if there is no material thing 'outside',either god is only inside my mind(concept), or god is non-material and merely a concept(again inside my mind).
          In short, I am god.

1. profile image0

Well we are part of the mind of God!

I just wish he hadn't brought God into it.

1. profile image0

No that was not his argument. His argument is there is no material thing outside mind.[mind is a product of matter, for mind too is a concept]. So to be part of god's mind, there should be a continuous matter which can form at least two minds(like it is said of the dinosaurs of yore that it has a nerve center near the tail to control). There is nothing outside my mind, and I can have only one mind(his argument), so god cannot be outside my mind, so god is a concept.
              Rather he is making an argument where there is none by cleverly hiding his premises and by getting away without any definition. That is all his argument is centered on the vagueness of the term "mind".

2. PhoenixV profile image64
      PhoenixVposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think its a deductive fallacy.

We have perception of physical objects. For instance,  someone that is color blind has a slightly different perception of an object as opposed to a majority of observers. The object has not changed in any way to suit the observer.  Perceptions vary, however the object remains the same. Because people have perception, and indeed various perceptions of the same object,

2 it could be said that "perception is mind dependent"

3  but NOT  "the objects themselves being perceived".

1. profile image0

Interesting take.

2. profile image0

His 1st premise is false -""Material objects" are simply collections of "sensible qualities" (sensory data).".
        It is not material objects but the perception of material objects, which is the "sensible qualities". An object exist by the definition of "exist", not by our sensation of it.

1. PhoenixV profile image64

An object exist by the definition of "exist".

How long is that true?

1. profile image0

I'm not saying it is not a deductive fallacy,  I forgot to put the too after 'his first premise is false'.

Simple, define 'exist', you will know that existence has nothing to do with perception while Berkeley's argument is centred on perception.

3. profile image0

They(Augustine, Berkeley, Plantiga....) are trying to make premises from their accepted conclusion, god exists, rather than forming the premises and derive conclusions from that.
        I wonder why they are deliberately trying to deceive!!
        Most people are more happy to be deceived than face reality, may be that explains.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

1.  "Material objects" are simply collections of "sensible qualities" (sensory data).

Material objects are collections of atoms in various configurations

2.  Sensible qualities are mind-dependent.

These atoms are not mind-dependent

3.  Therefore, material objects are mind-dependent. (1,2).

N/A

4.  Therefore, there is no external material world. (3).

N/A

1. A Thousand Words profile image68
        A Thousand Wordsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you psycheskinner.

2. profile image0

So can you describe the atoms without using any human sensory data?  And if you think you are being scientific... http://discovermagazine.com/2009/may/01 … ace-cosmos

Further, you can't deny premise 2.  Pleasure and pain don't exist outside of a mind.  You would only be denying premise 1.

4. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I knew this argument reminded me of something. Probability waves in quantum physics. The idea that an electron is only a probability wave and does not exist in any specific position until it is observed and the probability wave is collapsed. Did Berkeley arrive at a conclusion that science is only now able to confirm through experiment?

1. profile image0

Perhaps so!  Wouldn't that be amazing...Though I think Berkeley would have to be reworked to make him completely jive with "probability waves," he was pretty close.

http://discovermagazine.com/2009/may/01 … ace-cosmos  Maybe something like this?

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

This hypothesis is silly. If I clock you in the back of the head with a pipe, and you didn't know I was coming, how does your brain know to react to it if the pipe doesn't *really* exist?

1. profile image0

It exists because you perceive it.

He did not conjure the pipe. It had to objectively exist, to find and use.

1. profile image0

Nope.  God caused it to exist.  Berkeley actually says at one point he is comfortable with saying we are perceiving God's perceptions.

It's quite strange.

Yep, whether the pipe is concurrently generated by aliens,  God  or a machine does not whimsically negate its reality.

1. profile image0

Of course not.  He is just arguing everything is mental.  Berkeley specifically says mountains and rivers do EXIST, just not outside of a perceiver.

2. profile image0

Actually he is very primitive, because psalms says 'we are god'. Also before him  Mansoor Al-Hallaj and Upanishads said the same thing - "I AM GOD". He is yet to evolve ! wink

3. PhoenixV profile image64

Even in the scenario of -  a reality we observe as in a God - Inception- Matrix type thingy where we are inside a dream or w/e, I think an error in deduction would remain.

In the above case-  we are perceiving God's perceptions.

Would we not be "perceptions perceiving God's perceptions.? Instead?

Refuting a subjective idealism; ie  suggesting that "anything" including the mind does not exist.

Berkeley's assumption is that he survives in his own premises.

1. profile image0

No!.  Berkeley said that minds exist.  I know it seems like cheating right?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)