Blue arrow next to a published hub

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Marsha Musselman1 profile image82
    Marsha Musselman1posted 10 years ago

I just noticed a blue arrow next to a hub I published this week. It's in the list of my hubs under my account page. What does it mean? It isn't the hub with the most views, unless it's a hub with the most views in the shortest amount of time, I do not know.

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The blue arrow means that traffic is falling. Red arrows indicate a rise in traffic. Double red arrows mean your traffic is really taking off.

Marsha Musselman1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't see why I should worry about that as yet. I've been busy commenting on other folks hubs and publishing new content/hubs. The hub that the arrow is next to was only published early this week, maybe four days ago.

Does the arrow mean that particular hub is falling in traffic or all my hubs put together? I've had several comments in the last 24 hours. I'm going to attribute it to the holiday weekend and see if it improves again next week.

Just the hub which it is beside. Don't worry about it. All new hubs drop in traffic then pick up again when they begin to get organic traffic.

I read somewhere about the number on your name going up and down as we publish new hubs, so I imagine it's similar to that. It adjusts as things change.

Odd thing to me is that the hub where the blue arrow is located at least had about 7 comments, whereas, a different hub I published only a day after that one hasn't had any comments, but there is no blue arrow next to that one. Maybe it can't go down if it never went up. smile

The blue arrows indicate hubs which were getting some amount of steady traffic. After a while they disappear. If a hub doesn't show the blue arrow at all it means the traffic has either been consistent or not significant enough.

The arrows are different from the scores in that the arrows are an indication of traffic rises and drops while the scores are a combination of traffic, activity and some other factors.

2. ameliam.michelle1 profile image60
      ameliam.michelle1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Marsha, blue arrow means that the traffic for your hub is declining whereas red one means it is escalating. A new hub usually gets low score and then it picks up the momentum as your hub reaches a wider audience. Therefore, as other hubbers rightly pointed out, do not worry

2. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

A blue arrow next to your hub means the traffic for that hub is going down. A red arrow would mean it is going up. Now, I have no idea about this and am curious to find out...by how much does traffic have to rise and fall for there to be a red or blue arrow next to a hub...

Significantly. We are not privy to the percentages but when a hub is new as in Marsha's case, it gets a lot of HP readers. If it get (words speaking) 100 reads in two days and on the third day started to get only 10 reads, the blue arrow appears. When that same hub starts to get organic traffic or another HP surge of traffic the red arrow(s) appear. The rise and fall have to be significant enough though.

Cardisa,

I'm making a hub on things I've learned in the short time while being here and especially  things that I've not seen answered in the forums or tutorials. Is it okay to share what you just taught me here about both the blue and red arrows? I would mention your name for helping me out with this.

Thanks.

I should also probably ask whether I can use my computer to print the screen and show my questions and your two answers, verbatim, or whether that isn't recommended.

Yes you can do that. It's good to write HP tutorials. I am sure other hubbers are having the same questions in mind.

3. MichaelUS profile image69
    MichaelUSposted 10 years ago

Down arrow? That means your hub is declining traffic.

Thanks, Cardisa and one other hubber already answered that question. I'm going to blame it on the holiday weekend and see if it picks up more traffic next week or the week after, especially after I continue to publish more hubs.

Marsha, though it could be the holiday weekend you should also be aware that all new hubs go through a similar phase where they gain traffic in the first few days or the first week, then the traffic declines, sometimes to zero. It then takes a while for organic traffic to start coming in. After a few weeks (for some hubs it's months) Google starts sending traffic your way and the red arrows appear. Don't worry about it. All hubs go through that with the exception of just a few.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa's explanations are spot on.

When you first publish a Hub, Hubbers (especially your followers) will notice it, and you'll get a burst of traffic and possibly comments.   Then Hubber traffic will tail off, and you won't get significant traffic until Google notices your Hub and decides it's good enough to feature in the search results.

If your initial burst of traffic was good, then that "tailing off" will cause the blue arrow to show.  It doesn't take much of a fall to cause it to display.

A day late I had two red arrows on another of my hubs and today those have disappeared and now I have two hubs with blue arrows next to them. But I'm not worried. They are only a week or less old, we'll see how they do in the long term.

4. toptendeals profile image70
    toptendealsposted 10 years ago

If your hub doesn't get any traffic after a couple weeks or so add more relevant text, tweak your title, and add some engagement.

By engagement do you mean polls and quizzes? I already have polls on them.

1. Jean Bakula profile image94
        Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes you just need to be patient. The first red arrows you see will be fellow hubbers reading your hubs to get to know you, as Marisa told you. The traffic from HP isn't important as far as money is concerned, you won't make any at all from hubbers reading your stuff. That can be fine if you are writing because you like to, and because there are nice people at HP. It can take about 6 months or so for Google traffic to start coming in. You can put your title in the search bar and see what page of Google your piece is on. If it's really good, like we want it to be, you want to see it on the first page of Google. Plus topics go in and out of fashion, and you may have one that isn't that popular, and suddenly lots of people from Google are visiting your pages. That's what your goal should be if you want to make money. It's a big learning curve, so give yourself time.

Thanks. I checked google for a couple of my titles earlier and was pleased to find two of them in the number one spot on the first page. The third one didn't make that page or possibly the next at all.

I think I'll continue to come up with ideas for hubs, work on them and then when I have a few more under my belt work at tweaking the ones I've already published.

Thanks for your input. That helps a lot.

5. profile image0
    Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years ago

Under your list of hubs is a list of symbols with their meanings. So you can always figure out what any symbol means. smile

You're the first to mention this, thanks. I've seen those before, but haven't checked them out since the arrows began showing up. I even glanced at it earlier today, but it must have been a quicker glance than I thought as I didn't even notice that part of it.

1. profile image0
        Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. Glad my comment was useful. wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)