Why I Don't Earn A single Cent from Ebay?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

Some of my hubs, I do include Ebay capsules that are related to my hubs but I had not earn a single cent nor a single click nor any impression from Ebay. Do I need to key in anything in the Ebay capsules like the ID? May I know what went wrong?

1. jericho911 profile image57
      jericho911posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure that ebay is very lucrative for us on hubpages.  I have only made 20 cents in 3 months from the ebay program.

peachpurpleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@jericho
        well, you sure are lucky man. I had joined ebay for 3 years and still earn zero !

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

First check your Earnings page to make sure you enrolled for the eBay program correctly.  Is your eBay number showing and is it correct?

Next, Eric is right:  eBay capsules at the END of a Hub never make any sales.  eBay and Amazon work basically the same way:  to make a sale, you need to have the eBay capsule to the right of, or directly under, the paragraph that mentions that product.  Anything else is a waste of time.

I wouldn't say Amazon is always better than eBay.  It really depends which one has the most relevant products! 

Ebay has one advantage: Amazon has only a one-day cookie, which means if your visitor doesn't buy right there and then, you don't get a commission.   Whereas if someone clicks on your eBay ad, you'll still get a commission up to 30 days later - even if they buy something totally different.   

On the other hand, Amazon commission levels generally work out higher, so although you make fewer sales, you may earn more per sale.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Me again!

I've just taken a look at your Hubs and I'd say most of them are not suitable for eBay or Amazon ads.

If you use Amazon or eBay capsules which are unlikely to work, then they can be counter-productive.  Their pretty pictures attract readers to click even if they have no desire to buy - and if a reader leaves your Hub by clicking on an eBay ad, you've missed the chance for them to click on an Adsense ad, or one of your other Hubs.

ONLY add Amazon or eBay capsules if you can answer this question:  what will this Hub make readers want to buy?   So for instance, on your "Best Friend Homemade Gifts", you're creating the desire to make home made gifts.  So capsules displaying ready-made gifts or ready-made food are not going to work.  Materials to make home made gifts would.

Amazon has a range of craft kits (e.g. teddy bear kits, jewelry kits).  For the food section, baking mixes.   Craft kits and materials are the best bet generally for your "make it yourself" Hubs - but they need to be specific to the thing you're making.

Your Board Games Hub would be a perfect choice for Amazon or eBay capsules, but you need to choose a few specific games, write a short paragraph about each one and have an ad for that game to the right of the paragraph.  Your text convinces parents board games are good, but you need to take them to the next step and help them choose the right games.

Finally your conjunctivitis Hub is a perfect example of why you need to be REALLY specific with your ads. I doubt you will sell any "dry relief' eye drops - which are for people with dry eye - to people with sore eyes.   You need to advertise something like Ralonex or Similasan - and not only that, you need to research it a bit, so you can explain what it's for.

1. Susana S profile image94
        Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excellent response.

@ peachpurple I'd also add that the main keyword phrase targeted in the hub does need to be a buying phrase. People don't generally jump up from their computers to get their wallet or purse out because of something we've written (How often does something you read on the internet have that effect on you? Probably not often).

We need to find those phrases where searchers already have their wallet to hand.

Finding buying phrases and niches that convert well takes a bit of trial and error learning and you'll need to understand the demographic you're selling to as well, but if you make the effort to do so it is worth it.

2. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I was thinking about not using ebay capsules anymore for the same reasons. But then on Monday, I earned .7 cents on something, don't know where. You have to have something really expensive to earn a significant amount.

Really? I made 7 cents too, after I posted this question!!

3. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 10 years ago

I have some niches that do well with eBay clicks, and some that just don't.  For instance, when I write about guitars eBay does well, because many people buy used guitars instead of new ones.  I know little about recipes and artsy crafts stuff, but could that be one that simply doesn't do well? People are coming to you for directions on how to do something, maybe not necessarily in the mood to bid on something.   

But they probably buy new things, like supplies and whatnot.  How do you do with Amazon? 

Also, just looking at a handful of your Hubs, it seems like you have your Amazon products listed in the body of the Hub where your reader would notice them, but the eBay ads just sort of tacked on at the end.  Your hubs are very elaborate and informative (and very good) and people just might not be in the mood to click by the time they get to the end of your Hub.  They're probably all fired up to start the project! smile

You could try moving your eBay modules up and they might get more clicks, but honestly you can make more with one Amazon sale than a month of eBay clicks.  If you're doing okay with Amazon, I wouldn't sweat eBay. 

But that's just my two pennies.  smile

Thanks by much for your kind comments and your suggestions, yes I will move the eBay capsules, appreciated by much

4. krisaclark profile image63
    krisaclarkposted 10 years ago

I haven't had much luck with eBay either. I've noticed lots of impressions but no sales yet. I have noticed though that each time I get a click, it's always been $.06, and I've probably had about 10 or so total clicks since I started in May.

At least you have 6 cents, better than nothing, right?

5. profile image0
    CroftRoanposted 10 years ago

Amazon and eBay are both duds for me. I doubt you're going anything wrong it just takes time and a few people clicking on the ad.

6. lovebuglena profile image86
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

I doubt you are doing anything wrong. Plenty of people just don't care about the products showcased in hubs and just care about the hubs themselves and their content.

7. ChitrangadaSharan profile image93
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years ago

So far I haven't earned anything from eBay or Amazon. I think just like me, many people do not pay attention to ads, but rather they are more interested to read the article.

So, I am not the only one not making money, huh? We r in the same boat

8. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 10 years ago

I chose Amazon over Ebay for my affiliate ads because Amazon is a more trusted brand than Ebay IMO.  It's worked out pretty well so far with Amazon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)