Hub not Featured

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Vista15 profile image58
    Vista15posted 10 years ago

What do you want? 

I can't CHANGE the story.  I have broken it down to several capsules... I have added photos... I have added videos... I even added an AFTERWARD which brought the words over 700. 

Now what?

1. Raitu Disong profile image61
      Raitu Disongposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No!
      You don't have to change the story...
      Just making some few changes like adding some more texts, deleting some contents which you think is not very much related with your topic, editing the sentences and all.
      It happened to me twice.I made some changes, now it is featured.
      Good luck to you!

Vista15posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Adding more text would change the story!  It's every bit as good as anything I've written that has been featured.   It Is edited to the limit!  I did add an afterward, but that's not even relevant to the story.

2. New Understanding profile image59
      New Understandingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What was the code listed as to why it wasn't featured?

There is no 'code', per se`... it just says it is not quality... It's about my LIFE!  that's like telling me my life has no quality.  I want this one featured more than any of the other ones.  It is The Legend of the Queen of Hearts if you are interested in seeing it.

1. Cardisa profile image88
          Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some time ago Hubs about personal life stories were flagged for being too personal. Now the QAp will not feature a hub if it is not in article format.

When writing your life story to publish on HP you need to take either of two routes:

1. You write the story with the purpose to helping the reader who may have gone through something similar. For instance, my story about endometriosis tells the reader what it is and how it is treated. If you are writing about a particularly painful event you need to give some tips on how to deal with such events. When people read online they look for answers and not stories so you need to make your story have answers.

2. The other route is to (a) write it like fiction, What I means is make it sound like you are reading a book. Make it interesting like reading someone's biography or memoir (b) categorize it under Creative writing.

2. New Understanding profile image59
          New Understandingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I understand a bio is very personal to the writer and I assume you don't want to treat it as fiction which it is not, but I'm assuming Hubpages looks for articles that people will be looking for.....to answer a question they have. Is there a life lesson you want to convey? Maybe title it that way.  As stated by Mark, I would take off the bold writing,  and if you have a pic or two related to the different text capsules in the body it might help.

It's a LEGEND.  I made it up.  The facts are true, but it's meant to be silly!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
              Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It may be a legend, but you've written it as though it's a biography of you.

HubPages is not a place for personal journals.  "Overly personal" articles will usually get unpublished, not just unfeatured.   Because your story opens as though it's a story about you, I suspect the reviewer has read the first few lines, decided it's too personal and marked it down.

If it's a made-up story then it belongs in Creative Writing - that would make it more obvious that it's fiction. I don't know that you need to change it to third person.

A tip, though - fiction generally doesn't do well on the internet.  HubPages has a system where, if a Hub doesn't get enough visitors in its first few months, it ultimately gets unFeatured again - this time for lack of traffic.  Although we have a small community here who will read your work when it's first published, our traffic relies on people finding our Hubs on search engines like Google.

So before writing a Hub, you need to ask yourself, "what would people have to type into google to find this Hub?  Is anyone likely to do that?"   If the answer is no, then it would be better to find another home for that Hub, because it's unlikely to survive more than a few months here.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Try changing the wording of the title around, maybe adding or taking away words or just rearranging the words which you have. See if you can add poll(s), table(s) and such.

How do you change The Legend of The Queen of Hearts?!
        Oh... it also has a red arrow!

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
          The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I thought it was that Hub but I was not sure. Anyway, how about something like, "Queen of Hearts - dream or reality?" If you are talking about the red 'triangle' of which I think, that means that your traffic is up. Maybe because of this post. Look on your stats page below your list of Hubs and you will see what all the emblems mean.

Yes, I know what it means.  I have now gone back and un-bolded the text.  I thought someone meant the captions.  Anyway, last I looked it was under ...what do you call it?  Re-checking it... I just figured with the traffic up it should be acceptable.

4. jaydawg808 profile image80
      jaydawg808posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not sure. But after looking at the titles of your hubs, they don't make a person want to read them. Perhaps changing the titles to something more descriptive. The "average" reader may find them all boring & not interesting.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

I'm not an expert but it appears to be purely personal and a large amount of it in is bold.

What does it offer a searcher?

I just put in the bold writing!  It was all one capsule without any caption... It's personal, but it's silly and interesting, at least I think so.  I didn't even want to do that.  But it said, 'add capsules... media... ' so I did.  It was only 500 some words, so I added the 'Afterward'... what do they want???!

2. petepr profile image59
      peteprposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Try changing to the third person and treat it as a piece of fiction.
      The reader should get the picture that it is really you early into the prose.

It's a thought... I have done that before.

3. Bill Yovino profile image85
    Bill Yovinoposted 10 years ago

It's not the writing or the number of words, it's the subject. Sorry to be so blunt, but unless you suddenly become newsworthy, nobody is going to try to find out why you changed your name. There's no shame in that and you should keep writing Hubs that you enjoy writing. Just be realistic and don't expect deeply personal Hubs to be featured.

4. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I love ppl's stories. I will pick up and read just about any biography... Now you've got me wondering why she changed her name... hmmm

5. watergeek profile image94
    watergeekposted 10 years ago

First a caveat: I have not read the article in question BUT, three of my siblings changed their names, and so did a very good friend of mine. I know of others who have wanted to, but didn't know how or thought it would take too much work for what it was worth.

I do believe this is a valuable topic that would be sought after, if you presented it well. You could keep your personal story in, and use the name-changing process to beef up the number of words and the public interest. Add text boxes that include reasons people want to change their name, what procedures they need to go through, and the pros and cons of it. Add a poll capsule to ask how many people know someone who has changed their name. Add photos of well known performers who have changed theirs, or migrant workers, or other illustrations of people who might want to change.

In case this helps, here are several reasons I've already experienced that triggered people to change their names:
    1) They are a performer or writer and don't like the birth name they were given. Countless numbers of people have changed their names for this reason (Englebert Humperdink, for one).
    2) The birth name is always being made fun of, e.g. two of my brothers changed their last name from "Horspool" to "Poole."
    3) When migrating here to the US, immigration listed their name wrong and they want to correct it.
    4) People keep mispelling their name, which may be difficult to pronounce also, so they want to simplify it.
    5) They hated one or both of their parents, found a mentor they loved, and wanted to change their name to identify more with the mentor (true story).

Valid points.  I really changed my name because Robert Zimmerman did.  I'll bet today Bob Dylan is glad he did!

Hey!  That did it... Two red triangles and they FEATURED IT.  Thanks for all the info, input and concern!!!

6. mrblueishmouvesky profile image41
    mrblueishmouveskyposted 10 years ago

Just as a minor point, you menion your bar in the article and say "what to call it?" well a queen's got to have her 'Palace' it's not really clear if it's just called 'Palace' or if you forgot to put the actual name.  Interesting article though, it'd be interesting to know bit more of the links you make in the start about numerology and things you've thought about as a lot of it seems like jumps of thought without taking the reader along. 

p.s. the pic of you is awesome and goes really well (the one in the article not the one that's the article's lead pic)

Now, I'm unclear which picture you mean?  The recent one 'aging gratefully'? I also use it as my profile pic.  That's about a year old, if that. 

Gosh.  What do you mean you didn't know it was the Palace?  Why else would I have said that?  I will be doing a hub on my bar/Palace eventually.

I left the numerology alone after explaining the 10, because that's about all I know, and it was more about my affinity for hearts.  But thanks for your input.  I love you.  (The Queen can do that.)

1. mrblueishmouvesky profile image41
        mrblueishmouveskyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Aye the one you use as profile pic, really good shot, even reminds me of the card smile 

Perhaps it's just me, it sounds like you're about to say like, well a queen's got to have her 'palace' so I called it The Rose Palace or something, probably just me.

Ah no worries I see now, I've always had vague interest in numerology since an ex told me a bit about it though never understood the adding up of letters of a name type stuff, no worries smile You you too smile

1. mrblueishmouvesky profile image41
          mrblueishmouveskyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

*Love you too even smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)