Suggestion to limit # of forum threads a person can start in one day

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (31 posts)
  1. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

Whenever I open the forums, I see countless threads by the same people, many of them unanswered or with only a couple of comments.  I would love to see a limit on how many threads the same person can open daily.  I often have to go to page 2 or 3 to see what else people are discussing/asking. 
    Also a number of these threads should be started in topical forums rather than the HP related forums.

Sorry if there's already a thread on this.  I couldn't find one.

1. Dale Hyde profile image81
      Dale Hydeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I certainly would agree with this.  Too many people simply post to post and get attention.  I doubt if they even come back to their posts.

The mistake, I think, is at one point I remember reading that one way to draw views to your profile and hubs was to post in the forums.....so abuse is there now.

rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think so. I understand posting a thread for discussion, but when there are 3,4,5 threads opened the same day, it appears to be spammy and self-promotional.

1. Dale Hyde profile image81
          Dale Hydeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I certainly do agree with that as well.  Spam and I do believe we have some trolling going on here as well.

2. 2uesday profile image64
        2uesdayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The above may also explain why there are numerous examples of people offering advice that is - incorrect or incomplete or even echoing what someone has said just a couple of comments before.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. FlourishAnyway profile image96
      FlourishAnywayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, thank you.  I am so glad someone said it. I agree with Dale's comment that HP is encouraging this type of behavior by rewarding it.  You get the behaviors you reward.

1. barryrutherford profile image74
        barryrutherfordposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are we arguing for stopping Free Speech here?  my view  NO!

Not at all.  Often these threads are duplicate type topics asked or presented in a different way but are saying the same thing by the same person.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are already multiple limits on free speech here -- if not we would be be neck deep in spam and trolling

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, we're asking for a measure which would ensure genuine discussions get the attention they deserve.

Most people who start multiple threads in a day are not genuine.  They're attention-seekers.

4. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

5. Marisa Wright profile image86

+1

6. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Damn right, restrict them!
      If their topic doesn't interest me, why the hell should I have to spend a second or two scrolling past them!
      Why should I have to wait for the minutes it takes for more recently commented topics to push them off the page?

And no spitting on the sidewalk either!

GA

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I don't have a problem with people posting on topics that don't interest me.  However, if someone is posting to have genuine discussion, they're not likely to post more than three or four brand new threads in a day. 

We're not talking about those here - or at least I don't think we are.  We're talking about the borderline spammers who post multiple puerile, attention-seeking threads asking inane questions - usually in the wrong category.  They do it in questions, too. A limit - even a generous limit - would keep those in check.

1. susi10 profile image96
          susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. rebekahELLE profile image85

And neither do I.  I don't spend all day here like some do.  I check in a few times a day. 

Marisa has hit it on the nail.  These are exactly the type of threads I'm referring to.

7. Matthew Meyer profile image73
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@rebekahELLE
      I know right now we have some logic that looks for how long it has been since you posted to handle some automated posts, etc. but I am not aware of a daily limit per se.

How many max per day would you think is reasonable?
      A few people have mentioned 3-5 max per day.
      Would a 5 forum post per day limit feel too restrictive to some people?

1. profile image0
        summerberrieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

5 forum POSTs seems somewhat restrictive...the ability to start 5 forum theads per day seems generous.

1. Susana S profile image90
          Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This.

@Matthew - It's not about people posting a lot to the forums, but OPENING loads of threads on pretty much the same topic that gets annoying. It's pointless and spammy.

5 would be a reasonable limit I think.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85

Matthew, I'm not sure what you mean by your first sentence, in regard to automated posts.  If someone starts a thread, they should definitely be moderating it and responding if necessary.  I'm sure many of us are not sitting all day on the forums and may not get back to a thread for a while. 

I think 3-4 forum threads opened by the same hubber in one day is reasonable if they're not all the same topic or a question asked the day before in a slightly different way.  Maybe a pop up warning could alert the hubber that they already opened a similar thread.  5 threads opened a day is very generous in my opinion.  Often these threads have no/few responses and they take up space.
        Thanks for asking.  It would be helpful to hear other opinions.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
          GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What makes 5 a magic number?
          If an action is enough of a problem to need to be restricted - why not 2 or 3? Or if 5 seems tolerable, why not 10?

And what about hubbers that everyone considers credible - could they earn an extra couple new threads, (above "average" hubbers),  based on their reputation?

Of course if this is such a serious problem for so many hubbers, why not just nip it in the bud and restrict everyone to one new thread per day?

That should make it easier for you to find the gems that you think are appropriate - without having to wade through the trash that others don't know better than to respond to.

GA

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

As Susana said, it's OPENING threads that should be limited.  I don't think there should be any limit on participating in existing threads.

4. Matthew Meyer profile image73

Got it.  So new threads.

8. Matthew Meyer profile image73

We discussed this in our community meeting today and have decided not to implement this feature at this time.

2. susi10 profile image96
    susi10posted 10 years ago

I think this is a great idea, since I have seen a lot of threads started by the same Hubber every day. It gets annoying, as the 'real' discussions are being pushed down onto Page Two or Three. hmm It isn't a huge problem, but more restrictions should be put in place as spammy forum threads are being started for no reason.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85

I wouldn't classify this as restrictive or infringing on someone's freedom of speech.  It's simply a suggestion in regard to forum policies.  HP has basic guidelines for the forums of which I'm sure many have never read.  There's enough trolling in the forums.

4. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Just an opinion, I hope you don't mind, but you have to remember that old adage, "It takes all kinds." It is very possible that if it weren't for certain ppl who enjoy starting a lot of threads, the forum might become increasingly sterile. It's like the circle of life... you could kill all the flies, but what would happen to the environment as a result? I personally don't mind scrolling... I'd rather everyone feel welcome. As far as motive, it may not be so devious as suspected... it could simply be loneliness. I would imagine we all could reach into our hearts and imagine all sorts of situations that might cause a person to want or need to post often. If all the techies stopped posting, we'd be worse off, same with the topical, the ppl's who barely speak English and even the Religious and Atheists. wink This forum is just a really big, little neighborhood. Tolerance and acceptance is necessary. Even the trolls have a part... I personally enjoy them quite a bit. lol

5. rebekahELLE profile image85

When HP separated the forums into HP related and Topical, it was for the reason that some hubbers like to browse the HP related threads without seeing the more political, social, off topic forum threads and vice versa.  Some don't like seeing all the traffic woe threads, etc.  Fine.  Then HP made the Sandpit forum into the Community and Freeform Discussion forums.  So now the HP related forums still have political, social, etc threads.  It makes sense that if someone wants to discuss social/political issues that the threads are categorized under that topic.  I'm simply making a suggestion. Perhaps the issue could be resolved if non HP topical threads can only be started in the topical forums.

6. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

HP have this standard response to all suggestions made on the forums:
    "We discussed this in our community meeting today and have decided not to implement this feature at this time."
    Why bother suggesting anything ever again?

7. zeke2100 profile image62
    zeke2100posted 10 years ago

Sue,
    I agree with you that it is frustrating to even bother suggesting things in the forums since very little is approved.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)