Hubpages Recovering as we Argue?

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (95 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

I have some kind of brain sapping virus so maybe I am just hallucinating, but....

Over at quantcast there is nice little spike. Nearly 600k views.

https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

I took a pic, in case it disappears:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8204356_f520.jpg

I know that the cynics have seen too many false dawns to get excited, but I like all kinds of dawns. Even the ones that presage the apocalypse.

Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 10 years agoin reply to this

My traffic climbed suddenly yesterday, but then it's dipped back down today.  Squidoo also climbed yesterday, it's difficult to tell at present if that's dipped back again.

Who knows what's happening at Google HQ.  False dawns that foreshadow the apocalypse are never a good thing, though, Will.  wink

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What paradigmsearch says yesterday, the rest of the world says today. lol

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/114653#post2437725

Sorry PDS. I knowing being first with the traffic news is your speciality. But you missed what might be the biggest story of the year so far.

And your pics are crummy...

All I can really say is:

http://mrkite.blogia.com/upload/20111110234441-simpsons-nelson-hah.jpg

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

big_smile big_smile big_smile

Will we get a Day Two!?! Q-RT will tell us that tale in 4-5 hours...

It would be nice to see an improvement.  Things have been a little crappy recently, traffic-wise.  It sometimes seems like HP has to run just to stand still.  However you judge it, the quality of the site is way better than it was a couple of years ago.

*My spike was actually on Sunday, not yesterday as I said earlier.

3. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It would be nice to see a sustained site wide recovery..... but it's early days smile It might just be one hub going massively viral (I've seen one have that kind of impact on HP's stats before), but hoping it is a recovery.

My own views are normal, so whatever it is, it's not affecting my account at the mo.

Still think there's much to be done about quality on the site, I've seen some really terrible shite that's been featured today! It doesn't bode well for a long term panda recovery, but maybe a dipping in and out as aalite says.

There has been a site-wide change underway for several days, now. Something is certainly happening.

It could be the Panda softening update. You might not benefit if you have not had a Panda hit lately.

Yes, the site overall seems to be getting a boost.  No benefit for me personally though, so far.  I hope Paul E can give us an insight.  HP staff get a much better idea of what's happening.

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 10 years ago

Cool!

3. Will Apse profile image88

My traffic is completely unchanged but I will be happy to see anyone here get a boost. So, I hope so.

4. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 10 years ago

Nice to see.  My traffic has spiked this week.  Not sure why.  I haven't been promoting my Hubs by backlinking this week.  Perhaps the links I've posted over time in Google+ are starting to pay off or if all of HubPages is seeing a traffic spike, perhaps Google like HP again.

5. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

Mine has been up, too.  For the last few days, up around 15% over what the same day of the week was for the preceding month or so.

6. ologsinquito profile image83
    ologsinquitoposted 10 years ago

We might be on the verge of seeing a recovery. I sure hope so.

7. aa lite profile image86
    aa liteposted 10 years ago

My traffic is up, but HP has maliciously confused my statistics with a HoTD last week so it is hard to know what's happening.

Paul E. (who has just hubbed about his panda thoughts incidentally) thought that we were on the borderline of the panda quality threshold, and predicted we would dip in and out.  Possibly panda had some changes and we are unpenalised, and in a couple of months they will change something and we will be under the water again.

Or perhaps we have actually managed to rise above the threshold so small algorithm changes won't matter so much.

Or perhaps Google has implemented the plan to be kinder to sites that are in the "panda grey area", which he wrote about a couple of months ago.

1. Rock_nj profile image91
      Rock_njposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  The stats page has been hard to read lately, with stats going up and down.  It seems as though it's not working correctly.

8. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

According to Q-RT, Redmond, WA suddenly seems to have a keen interest in us...

1. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

QT-RT, Redmond, WA

Que????????????????????????????

The Quantcast real-time is showing unusual(?) traffic from Microsoft/Bing headquarters in Redmond, Washington.

2. Rock_nj profile image91

I believe that is a refernce to Bing.  Microsoft = Redmond, WA.  In any case, this traffic boost is a nice thing no matter where it is coming from.

9. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

Panda spike coming?

Bend over...

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
      SpaceShantyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Haha smile

10. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

I would never have guessed in a million years!

When I first noticed, the count was in the low 40's. Now it is in the low 50's. An interesting week indeed! big_smile

2. Will Apse profile image88

PDS has a special hat. We are not allowed to use it.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8205176_f248.jpg

I feel a meme coming on... lol

11. Will Apse profile image88

Sleep time for me. I'll have to wait and see how things are tommorrow.

I am expecting to wake to a new Golden Age!

lol. No, seriously. I am.

I hope that I am wrong, but I believe you will wake up and traffic levels will be back to normal myself.  smile

Still, the spike might be saying that some form of turbulence is on the way...

1. Muttface profile image79
        Muttfaceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is that what normally happens?

12. susi10 profile image97
    susi10posted 10 years ago

I have seen a boost in traffic over the past day or two, maybe its just me, but I think HubPages is on the recovery. smile
    It's strange, because we had a Panda algorithm change just two weeks ago, our traffic should have gone down instead of up...Who knows? hmm

1. Susana S profile image92

Good that you've had a traffic uptick, but wondering how you know that there was a Panda update two weeks ago?

Google have said that they will no longer announce panda updates and there wasn't a major shift in Hubpages overall traffic?

1. susi10 profile image97
        susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Paul E. made a forum thread on it two weeks ago. He said they mentioned a minor update on the week of the 4th of July, but however there wasn't any major shift, as you said. I'll try find the forum thread.

Everyone was expecting a change that week and apparently there was an abnormal amount of general flux in rankings but nobody saw any very specific changes. So, personally, I'm not convinced the Panda softening update happened then.

That's what I thought. There was an expected update that didn't happen....yet....

Or maybe it's happening now. Frustrating that Quantcast hasn't updated in 2 days.

Yes, I agree with both of you. During the week of the 'supposed' update, my traffic didn't change at all. Now, though it appears like HubPages are getting higher spikes of traffic, I think you are right Susana, maybe the update is happening now as we speak. My Google Analytics report shows a spike, which seems to be in correlation with HubPages' overall domain.

Interesting smile

Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

So I am I! smile

13. paradigmsearch profile image60

re: the Q-RT, I've never seen London and India at over 100 before. What's up with that? That's the good news.

The bad news. Yesterday at this time we were showing ~7,500. Today it's at ~6,000. Not bad, but it's starting to look like yesterday was a one-day spike.

http://i.imgflip.com/2g7mh.jpg

14. Muttface profile image79
    Muttfaceposted 10 years ago

I'm seeing some action on my stats page too, just from this evening. Red triangles - Woo hoo!
    The last month the number of views had trickled down to embarrassingly low levels. So let's hope this surge continues.

15. beaddve1800 profile image63
    beaddve1800posted 10 years ago

There are some updates and changes. The traffic can change for the next updates. It is good to keep the eyes open for the change.

16. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 10 years ago

Traffic Maybe On The Way Up But Earnings Are Definitely Still On The Way Down, I'm Not Getting My Hopes Up. *Makes Way Back To The Grumpy Corner*

I don't know about everyone else, but seeing a traffic spike like the recent one gets me motivated to write new material and try to boost traffic to my existing Hubs.  Kind of strange since summer is usually a traffic lull.  If this holds up until the fall/winter, then it could really get interesting.

17. Will Apse profile image88

https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

At least, the site got a break from the recent slide into oblivion.

But it is not so wonderful. Numbers for this Tuesday and last Tuesday are very, very similar.

The slow slide continues for me, as far as I can tell.  How significant the weekend spike was is anybody's guess.

18. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

No improvement here.  Google might be letting a few people visit my pages - but it is a slow mental torture rather than a breakthrough.

C'mon, your pages are not all mental torture!

I must be slipping.

I felt almost guilty with that cheap a shot, lol.

We found a level with which we're happy Will. I'm kind of marking time at the moment to see what happens.

19. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

Rise followed by a plunge
    Perhaps it was a Pinterest spike which pricked me!

A drop, not a plunge, and a drop to higher low.  Overall, it's looking better, but like anything, we need more data.

Could still be a significant turning point. I was getting genuinely depressed with that relentless downward trend.

Need more data like Rock said.  I was hoping Paul E would chip in with his thoughts.

(And yes, downward trend is depressing, like you say)

20. agilitymach profile image93
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

My Google traffic is up well over 100 percent for a week now.  My social media traffic is down, but that's to be expected over the summer with my niche topic.   I'm finding many of my articles on the first page of Google when they were well behind in the past.  I'm wondering if the QAP isn't working....

21. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 10 years ago

I have had a slow steady climb up in the last month. From 500 to over 1,000 views a day. Pre-Panda I was at 5,000 plus views a day. Hope this continues. Fingers crossed.

22. Will Apse profile image88

Maybe Panda softening has been underway for a long while but the effects have not been apparent to most of us.

23. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

Views doubled, CPM halved

As the French say, "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" (the more it changes, the more it's the same thing)

I haven't noticed a significant drop in CPM.  It has been bouncing around the $5.00 to $7.00 range for a while.  There was a time about a year to two years ago, when it would sometimes top $10.00.  That was great on days when I received a lot of views.

Speaking of views.  I had my best day in a long time in regards to views yesterday.  Perhaps with more views and an increased rank for HubPages, the advertising rates and CPM will eventually increase.

Bad time of year for CPMs too.  They should hopefully improve in September and during the run up to Xmas.

24. Will Apse profile image88

My views are down a little but I'm happy to see the site improve overall, even if we are only seeing a modest upturn.

25. susi10 profile image97
    susi10posted 10 years ago

My views are steadily rising, with over 70% coming from search traffic. I don't know if this is going to last though. As you can see from the image below from Google Analytics, my hubs experienced quite a spike.
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8210811_f248.jpg

26. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

Sorry folks, looks like it was a temporary spike. Interesting, when I did a site:hubpages(dot)com search on Google on July 15 the page count was 880,000. 
    Today it is 2,110,000 (as it was previously).
    Site: search for squidoo showed 1,420,000 throughout.
    The spike was not shared by Squidoo, though squid traffic generally mirrors that of HP.
    Perhaps HP and Google did something to 'switch off' all the 'NOINDEX' pages (1.3M) that HP has been waiting months for Google to DEINDEX.

Paul E (http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com/hub/W … ogle-Panda)
    "We have 1.9 Million pages showing as indexed in our Webmaster Tools account, but only about 600K that should be. Clearly Google isn't dropping the pages quickly."

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8211868.jpg

I went looking for a yappy, choleric terrier (the kind that drives his mum nuts) but then I found these, and went all kind of softipoos and ahhhh-ish...

http://www.rat-terrier.com/Portals/0/NTForums_Attach/1103053215871.JPG

1. janderson99 profile image53
        janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

My favorite Egyptian God - Bes

http://www.wotisnew.com/bes.jpg

27. paradigmsearch profile image60

Redmond is checking us out again. I wonder if Bing has finally decided it's time to seriously go about indexing us?

28. aa lite profile image86
    aa liteposted 10 years ago

It appears that there is a panda update frolicking in cyberspace, according to se roundtable.  http://www.seroundtable.com/google-pand … 17094.html

People are speculating that this is the update that will "soften" the penalty for sites that are in the gray area. 

It would be very disappointing if it passed us by without helping out a bit.

I wish they'd gone with the "a kinder, gentler panda" phrase, instead of "the softer panda" phrase. Would have made me grin. big_smile

Spike, a week of turbulence, now back to same-old same-old  tongue

29. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Breaking news: Views go down even more whilst banned from the forum. Avoidance is preferable.

1. profile image0
      summerberrieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering where you went.....

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I actually went on vacation. I came back with a sunburn that makes me wish Id never heard of the ocean. Torture.

Bad Girl!!! lol lol lol

I am extremely unamused as to my traffic and earnings. But I'm blaming it on summer as opposed to anything else.

30. agilitymach profile image93
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

I'm still up over 100 percent with Google views, and my pages are ranking MUCH higher than before.  IDK.  Google seems to have decided I exist - at least a bit.  No complaints here!

That's great news, agilitymach! Hope it will keep rising for you! smile My traffic is not great, but it could be worst so I'm happy!

31. Will Apse profile image88

Bored not banned...

32. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 10 years ago

My traffic's the worst it's been for a year at the moment.  Lowest Saturday figure since the big crash last Summer.  Hope it's only temporary.

1. barryrutherford profile image76
      barryrutherfordposted 10 years agoin reply to this

mine is worse in four years

Worst for me too.

33. Will Apse profile image88

Yeh. It's bad.

If things don't improve, I will have to learn to write well, or rotate back into the real world.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. I'm looking for a new hobby.

HP traffic dial has been stuck for 10 hours which enhances the sense of gloom and doom (although it happens most weekends).

Both HP and Squidoo are struggling at present.  I still suspect that their biggest sin in Google's eyes is not spam or over-commercialism, but to present competition for Google products such as Blogger.

I have a feeling you will be less happy when the stats update. Realtime stuff looks desperate.

The only good thing for me is that some of my minor profiles on HP and Squidoo are earning a little, though not enough to make up for the losses on my main ones.  Still, the drop might be temporary - we'll have to wait and see how it pans out.  Certainly not a promising situation though...

2. sabrebIade profile image80
            sabrebIadeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep, after the update my stats are the worst they have been since that first big Google slap.
            I mean this is ridiculous.
            According to analytics my traffic on the 21st was about half of what it was on the 18th.
            And no it's not because it was Sunday.
            My traffic usually goes up on the weekends.

34. Fiction Teller profile image59
    Fiction Tellerposted 10 years ago

Yup - I've crashed again.  Four months of recovery, now nearly back to plunge-state.  Sad but not exactly surprised....

35. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

It might just be temporary.  Let's hope so.  I had a serious but short-lived crash back in March.  It is certainly unnerving though.

1. profile image0

Consider yourself lucky. Some of us haven't had enough success to notice the difference between a crash and a normal day. smile

1. jimmythejock profile image83
        jimmythejockposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My wallet hurts hopefully it can recover.....jimmy

1. profile image0

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy... <sigh>. I thought we were going to stop signing our name. lol

1. jimmythejock profile image83
            jimmythejockposted 10 years agoin reply to this

oops

36. Benjimester profile image87
    Benjimesterposted 10 years ago

Google needs to find some Bipolar meds.  Seriously...

1. sabrebIade profile image80
      sabrebIadeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

37. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

I see Paul E has now opened a new thread and made statement regarding the recent traffic issues.  I guess we'll have to see what happens.  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/114897

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)