Hubber Quality Index - Do Empty Vessels Make the Most Noise?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (78 posts)
  1. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

I've been spending too much time in the forums lately, and have noticed an amazing relationship between the number of posts made by a person, and the quality of their contributions to the forum.

I therefore reveal my theory about "Hubber Quality Index (or HQI) to everyone.

Here's my theory:
    1. 10 posts per day is the baseline.

2. If a hubber has more than 10 posts per day, its more likely the hubber is an empty vessel, and just contributes noise on the forums.

3. If a hubber has less than 10 posts per day, the more likely the hubber is a sensible person whose posts are valuable.

4. The results gained by this method are 90% reliable.

====================

Number of posts per week are easily calculated from the forum statistics for the hubber concerned. I've taken a month to be 30 days, and a year to be 365 days. (A week is 7 days, if you need that information as well)

So - Go to it. Work out the HQI for some of the hubbers you think are worthwile members of the community, and those who you think are just empty vessels.
    Post your results here, and help prove or disprove my theory.

Have fun,
    Eric G. smile

(EDIT: post corrected, because originally I said 10 posts per week when it should have been 10 per day.)

1. anjalichugh profile image68
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow! You really took some time to draw those statistics. You may be right in your assessment. Speaking of the 'noise in the forums'....I'm reminded of an old saying.."Unripe knowledge speaks, ripe one listens'.  smile

Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've had a team of 4 working on it for weeks lol

1. anjalichugh profile image68
          anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really ? No kidding ?

2. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you should blame it on the weed.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So the 90% reliability is just your opinion. Right?

There are some people who mostly comment in forums to give "worthwhile" advice and promote other people-- and some who mostly come in to enjoy the silly games. Both are fine.

Now, this is just what we need: A quantitative system to judge the worthiness of others, by average number of their forum postings. smile

Empty vessels  can be useful. They are ready to be filled.
      Drums (empty vessels) make a lot of noise, too. They add to the rhythm  and mood of the overall composition.

Eric Graudinsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.

Yep. It makes all those boring old traditional measures like quality of content, personality, entertainment value, etc. totally obsolete.

Totally agree. I play Taiko, and use some huge drums. Which sound great.

regards,
        Eric G.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

We seem to go through phases when people post question after question after question in the Hubber's Hangout. Then it dies off again until someone else discovers the forums for the first time...

3. enderw1ggins profile image60
    enderw1gginsposted 14 years ago

Repented sinner right here!

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Shhh...that is supposed to be top secret!

5. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Interesting Theory Eric

Re: Theory 2.

Some people start a thread and have to respond to other people.  E.g People who reach a Hubscore of 100. When they get contratulatory messages, its just normal to reply  and thank people which could result in 10 posts in just an hour.

Also, some, people's responses to a post is  just "Lol". (thats one posting even though its 3 letters).  So, these can't be the empty vessels.

I think your probably thinking of people who write about 5 - 6 paragraphs in one posting to each other and carry on like that with their responses - each person trying to prove the other wrong?

Regards, E.  smile

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here's my quality input, Lady_E - this is the phoniest thread EVER!

Thanks for dropping in and helping to prove the accuracy of my theory.
        Your score is 12.5
        Definitely empty vessel material!

But can you please make more posts? I think you're a lot emptier than your score would indicate. lol

1. profile image0
          fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah, post some quality threads on how Africans eat people up, and jump from tree to tree. You're so full of wisdom and light, Sir 'redneck' Eric. Please honor thy little subject - be it only with thy most valued opinions! More grease to your royal elbows.

1. Jewels profile image82
            Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't that happen in Papua New Guinea. You're wanting Africa to hog all the attention.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You do realize that your own score is now 11 for today? wink

I, of course, am the exception that proves the rule...........

That's fine - it's worked out over the total time a person has been on hub pages. Not on an individual day. Everyone has a day when they do a lot of ranting.

But the empty vessels get the award for continual ranting, day after day, week after week.

(Hey - I invented the scoring. Do you reckon I'm so silly as to be caught by the theory lol )

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
              Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course not, I was just making an observation.......

6. Eric Graudins profile image60

Thanks Lady E.

You're being WAY too serious smile. This thread is just for a bit of fun.
    (It  actually took me less than 10 minutes to do the "research" for this post smile )

But to answer your question seriously,

The cases you mention of 10 thanks in an hour would be have no effect on the longer term index. Unless they started lots of threads, and the majority of their postings were "thank you" replies.

And If someone's only contribution to the forums was meaningless one liners like LOL, then they are definitely empty vessels smile

And back and forth arguments would not necessarily be empty vessels, depending on the content.

And don't forget that quality of content is open to individual interpretation. Your opinion of worthwile content could be mindless babble in someone else's opinion. smile

1. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah.  I do tend to read these threads with a serious mind. I should lighten up. smile Anyway, Nite nite. (Its nearly 2am on my side of the planet)

7. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Some days I cross your threshold, and some days I don't. It all depends on whether I'm more focused on writing a hub or procrastinating about it!  smile

8. Eric Graudins profile image60

Here's a few examples of the HQI for some hubbers.

Misha 8.9
    Mark Knowles 11.6
    Endersw1ggins 21
    Inspirepub 3.7
    TKSensei 27.6
    Blondepoet 9.1
    usmanali81 13.8
    Paraglider 2.3
    Mohitmisra 6.2
    Maddie Ruud 1.9
    Eric G. (me) 2.4

How well do you think my theory stands up:
    Less than 10 - more likely to be sensible.
    Over 10 - More likely to be noisy, empty vessel ???

lol lol

Feel free to submit your own examples to prove or disprove this theory.

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you need to add into the equation the weight of the number of published hubs, length of time registered, average hubscore of all hubs, and hubberscore.

Yeah.
        Right.
        Go for it lol

9. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Spot on theory!

1. enderw1ggins profile image60
      enderw1gginsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My show has got the ratings! American Idol...what's that?

Although the score indicates that you're an empty vessel, it's a skewed result because of your athiests thread, which would have to be the most popular thread of hubPages, given the number of responses in the shortest time.

But quantity ain't quality, and some would argue that posting on that thread automatically qualifies one as an empty vessel lol

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
          Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eric, I think you are onto something. Since you have about 50% more posts than I-- in the same amount of time, I think I am safe for now. Maybe a half full or half empty vessel.

On the other hand some people like Uninvited W. and Relashe and Marissa and others -- uh, and you-- should not be judged on a strictly statistical basis. Quality counts.

No need to get too serious about this - after all, it's just a bit of fun.

But it seems to work out right in most cases.
            cheers, Eric G.

10. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Love the concept! Especially love that a higher number is actually a bad thing (well, I shouldn't presume -- some people may actually aspire to being empty vessels).

Think we can get HP admin to factor in the HQI into hubbers' overall Hub Score?

That would be good! lol lol

1. my-success-guru profile image56
        my-success-guruposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm interesting!

11. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

Seems a pretty good theory to me! I'm on 5.97, so I'm safe (-:

12. 2patricias profile image59
    2patriciasposted 14 years ago

I haven't done the stats, but know that I tend to post to Forums when feeling brain dead (this moment is an exception!)  So, I think this sounds like a good theory.
    Also I've just seen LondonGirl's score above, and I always think of her as a sensible person.
    I KNOW this is not scientific before anyone tells me so.

13. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 14 years ago

Well, well - calculate my Hubber Quality Index. By that logic, guess, I am unbeatable. Anyone close smile

I reckon you're Gold Standard :-)

@jewels: don't feed the troll smile

14. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

thanks pat squared!

15. Eric Graudins profile image60

Our friend Pamda Man is getting right up there too, with around 22 posts a day.
    The only person with a higher HQI is TKSensei.

I think that my theory is pretty well proved lol

16. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Oh.....    I feel better now.  I counted my posts over the last few days, and I was feeling like a big, empty, vessel.  I guess it turns out that I wasn't an empty vessel but have recently turned into one (and that pretty much matches what I've noticed about myself recently  smile  ).  Better to be a recently converted empty vessel than a life-long one.

17. Pamda Man profile image58
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

I don't think this is a good idea.

This is similar to the post ranking method, which ended in epic failure in most forums. But this one is doing the opposite, limiting people not to post. By the way, I do agree with you that HQI is a good idea but 10 posts is a little too little. Maybe 30-50 posts? Because those who post one post "Lol" weekly would have very high HQI? You need a lower bound and upper bound for this to work. But you need to show on your profile also.

Hey, what's the HQI for Squidward?? lol

200 or so. About the same as yours.

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eric I started reading your book last night. Holy smoke you are one heck of a smart man as well as a superb writer and of course a dear friend.
        I love the way you have mapped out your book, very easy to follow, it is fantastic. Will finish reading soon. I hope it is a best seller. (hugs)

18. ethel smith profile image82
    ethel smithposted 14 years ago

Better leave this as the last post before I become a empty vessel lol

19. candice5 profile image58
    candice5posted 14 years ago

Well after being determined to rid Hello my name is Squidward, by answereing everything he was on last night to just stop his name being on every Post there was . Hello to you all I am one hell of any empty vessel.

20. Candie V profile image62
    Candie Vposted 14 years ago

Well shoot Eric!!
    Someone threw me a party in here for my birthday, and a party for 100 posts, then there was a big fight in here today.. those 3 have boosted my score above your average.. I'm afraid!!! Please calculate it with these "handicaps" and let me know where I stand.. minus this one for the purpose of research.

Thank you soooo much!

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I noticed this post from 14 months ago - someone butting into a private party just to cause a fight - nothing changes then big_smile

1. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Private party on HubPages?  No! Really!  You're serious?

21. Elena. profile image83
    Elena.posted 14 years ago

OK, I'm just posting here to calculate my score smile  HAve no clue as to how many posts I've got under my belt, let's just submit and see.

Edited to add: 219 posts in 9 months, so 0.8

Dude, who beats that?  Laugh!

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Candie and Elena and MM are you three hot chicks on a girls night out or something you are pooping I mean popping in everywhere together. I want in ladies. !!!

22. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

i am posting with no intention of calculating my score...but if i do not post 10 then i am good to go

23. Cris A profile image58
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

7.83 for me. Not too much and not too little either. I'd say not bad! LOL cool

24. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Eric, cool math-ro-batics. Love your new photo-photo. Two Erics are better than one? (Cool hat!) smile

25. Pamda Man profile image58
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Isn't post number one of the milestones on HubPages? Then what you are applying is preventing that. You might as well ask HubPages to remove all milestones to prevent people spamming then.

26. Eric Graudins profile image60

@ pgrundy:
    Thanks.

Just an update:
    My  theory has certainly received another boost by the activities of hubber ElElyone.

ElElyone has been here all of 7 days, and made over 200 postings.
    His/her Hubber Quality Index is around 30.
    Which pretty well makes this hubber the biggest empty vessel on hubpages.
    Looking at the quality of their posts would certainly confirm this rating, as it would be difficult to find anyone else who makes the most noise in the forums (mostly with cut and pasted religious texts) while saying virtually nothing.

If you've got any other contenders, please post them here.

Remember that hubber quality index is calculated by the number of forum posts, divided by the number of days that a person has been on hubpages.
    Use 30 days for a month, 365 days for a year)

If you get a number over 10, my theory says that the person is most likely an empty vessel.

Have fun lol

27. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I will get back to you on this one... I have to do some math!

28. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

Well you got me!  I won't even calculate how many posts are comments.  Empty Vessel in da house!!!!

Nah. you're one of the people who are an exception to the theory.  (It's not 100% accurate, as I've said before smile )
      cheers, Eric G.

29. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 13 years ago

I haven't been here much for a while.

Anyone want to add an update to my theory using more recent observations?

regards,
    Eric G.

1. profile image0

You have to also factor in how much spare time a hubber has to while away smile  perhaps divided by the number of words big_smile

good point.

Care to come up with a hypothesis?
        Or is it covered in the 10% "fudge factor" ? lol

1. profile image0

AND it should maybe be divided by two - to account for defence -if the hubber is the target of constant attacks big_smile

But the fudge factor would probably do it.

30. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

WTF, Eric? I don't know why I didn't see this thread before.  You obviously have your way of having fun and I have mine.  I don't like to tell people how many times they should or should not post on the forums - I don't think its anybody's business. Whoever has that kind of time to monitor how many times other hubbers are posting and average it and publish the stats, is well, filling up empty time.

That kind of judgmental thinking is exactly the same thing you are unhappy about, or so I thought, BUT, turns out, you just want to be able to make the rules to suit yourself and have the control.  So no thanks to your Sin Bin - and as for empty vessels - what could be a better example than a Facebook Page for people who are disgruntled about HubPages!  now, this is getting funny!  never been called an "empty vessel" before, in such an underhanded manner!  A LOUD EMPTY VESSEL!! HAA!

WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!  RAAAAAWWWWWWWRRRRRRR! IS THIS LOUD ENOUGH FOR YA!  HAHAHAHA    :LOL:

I'm making an observastion, and having a bit of fun. Not telling anyone how to do anything.

Wow. You've uncovered my top secret master plan for world domination. lol

If you look again, you'll see that that is not the purpose of the group at all. Anyway, glad you're finding some amusement.

regards,
      Eric G.

31. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

It's true. Some of us have way too much time on our hands.
    Unfortunately, posting in forums is not like writing hubs.
    Writing hubs requires some semblance of research and a logical progression of thought.
    Forum posting requires neither.
    Too bad there isn't a category of banning for empty-headedness lol

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OH no! I would be out of the loop.

and Cags-- I was thinking of you, too as a notable exception and the number one encourager here.

2. Eric Graudins profile image60

I agree. but forum posting can also involve a lot of wit and spontaneity.
      Good to see you again MM.

regards,
      Eric G.

1. profile image0

You forgot the snake drums - and the tambourines - and the tin drum - and the kettle (black of course) -  Your metaphor for Hubbers is apt - it seems to cover most categories big_smile

3. RedElf profile image90
      RedElfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

32. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Eric, then how do "I" fit your scheme? hmm

To keep with the taiko theme, you'd be an Odaiko!

The biggest, baddest, loudest most powerful drum of all. lol

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

33. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Thank you Rochelle. smile

34. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 13 years ago

Here's Art Lee, who has given workshops to our Taiko group.
    he's playing a Cagsil lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lldj_lESr6Y

regards,
    Eric G.

That was pretty cool. Thank you. smile

I've played with Art on stage.
        Scary experience! He's a machine!
        I really thought my arms were gunna dropp off!

I don't doubt that feeling. Thank you again. smile

35. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Hi there Eric and Eric... smile
    Your 15 month old thread still kicks butt!! hmm
    But...
    Sorry
    I was only just watching a BumbleTown guy beating his head with a stick.. in an amazing demonstration of your Empty Vessel Theory! hmm
    You should have seen what he used to work his high hat.... I'm sure he was the record holder of the BiAnnual BumbleTown solo 3 legged race series big_smile

Hope all is well with you and yours E & E
    Take Care mate.

Thanks PD.
      Yes, we're still bumbling  along.
      Yes, no much has changed here in 15 months lol

regards,
      Eric G.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)