DO YOU THINK THAT THE MUSIC INDUSTRY IS GETTING WORSE OR BETTER??????

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. BritneyKnowles profile image39
    BritneyKnowlesposted 10 years ago

We've all seen how the music industry has evolved. Watching artists like Rihanna grow is tremendous. Started as a pretty hot teen with her first single 'Pon De Replay' and grown up to be a Wildcat and a sex icon but all in all she is my best artist. Many artists are rising. Some just keep the fire blazing like Nicky Minaj ( best hiphop artist ever) but some are still struggling with fame. So do you think in the music industry is getting worse or better and why and state clear facts. Love y'all who'll be answering. Cheers

1. Silverspeeder profile image60
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The music industry is controlled by a hand full of powerful producers, what they so goes and recently they have been telling the youth (the real audience) what they should like or not like.
      The new artists only have to look good or have a strangeness about them, the music itself seems to be the same old regurgitated pap that just keeps making $dollars for the music elite.

BritneyKnowlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well said and i totally agree to it

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's getting worse as far as showing real talent.  Seems to me that most of it is special effects and chaotic dance routines these days.
      It all overpowers the words and the music so badly that it's just for show;  can't even really tell if the singer has real stand-alone talent or not.
      And there's no real feeling in it.   Unless it's rap, which is mostly full of the feeling of anger;  it's long rantings against established norms or gangs against other gangs etc.;   I don't even consider that to be real music.

I'm asking where's the music even at??

It's also what I call individual and selfish.    Almost any wild young person can become an icon as long as they can strut around and mouth words that ya can't even understand because the music is too overpowering.    There is little "group" work,  no bands,  just new "stars" that are made by being promoted by American Idol, etc.

I saw a group of young women who sang really well, and who danced in unison beautifully,  on one of those shows.............the judges dismissed them, saying they were basically boring and outdated.    And yet they approved several groups where each member danced or did acrobatics individually;   no one could possibly keep their eyes on each person at once;  it was like a circus act except even more chaotic.

Talent has been shoved under the carpet in favor of theatrics.

As much as I hate to compare it to the likes of drug-addled Janis Joplin,   it is comparably much worse than her!    At least she could sing, and it wasn't covered up by explosions of light and smoke and a bunch of dancers circling the stage;  we could actually HEAR her sing,  and with FEELING.

1. Diane Woodson profile image61
        Diane Woodsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excuse me, There are lots if people who loved her, I think that Janis Joplin may not have been your favorite singer however its not quite right to make sure she comes off sounding bad. I liked her back then, now maybe not so much but she spoke for a generation of kids who loved her and Hold on....

1. Diane Woodson profile image61
          Diane Woodsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And there are still lots of drug addicted singers out there toda, she was not the only one back in the 70's...at least you admit she can sing.

1. profile image0

Hey, I liked her singing.
            "Me and Bobby McGee" was compelling and heart-wrenching.
            Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I can't appreciate other songs and feelings and empathize with the problems of others.   I've had my share of problems and rebellious times too.
            And you're right, there are others, today even, who are drug-addicted singers.
            If you wanna know the truth, I honestly respect them and Janis Joplin more than the ones who aren't drug-addicted but who sing horrid lyrics or too-raunchy stuff without the excuse of being addicted!

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

The music "industry" has always had an equal share of good stuff and godawful pre-packaged crap. The trick is finding the good stuff and not settling for the crap.

I totally agree but you know not all people watching it know how to differentiate. Kids are also being influenced  entirely by this.

3. Zelkiiro profile image88
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

You kidding? The music industry is far more diverse and rich than it's ever been. If you don't know how to dig, how to use Last.fm, or just plain how to use the internet, then of course you're going to think the music industry is bad now--it's because you're doing it wrong.

well said i personally think it's on fire at the moment. Music has never been so alive

2. Silverspeeder profile image60
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believed we were talking about the mainstream media which floods the world with over engineered over produced pap.
      There are many clubs and pubs in my city with live music from unsigned bands that perform better than the multi million dollar dolls, you just have to go and search for them.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And I have to say I think the mainstream is fairly dire.  But every generation loves what they heard as a teen and never feels the same about anything that comes later.  And I have to admit to not being a teen.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
          Mighty Momposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well said.
          And that has pretty much always been true.
          There has always been pablum garbage (it used to be called bubblegumi back my my day).
          The most talented do not necessarily get their music heard by a mass audience.
          Those who get mass media exposure may not have much (or any) talent but look good.
          I will say that these days technological engineering seems to be able to better cover and compensate for lack of singing ability...

well said thanks for your contribution

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I go mainly for direct online engagement with bands.  None of the mega-stars do much for me.  My current fav is Band of Horses.

5. Diane Woodson profile image61
    Diane Woodsonposted 10 years ago

I think we need a resurgence of th emusic we had in the 60's and 70's with new artists. All this stuff that sounds like disco when we go out is giving me and my Hubby headaches, and not kidding. I think we need a new brand of Happy Music...Country is holding its own, so are established singer songwriters such as Jackson Browne, I have to say as a whole its better but the new disco can go the way of a non hit wonder if you ask me!!!

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

You don't have to be a drug addict to be a brilliant musician.. but it helps!
    Some of our brightest talents got snuffed out prematurely.
    Hendrix
    Joplin
    Morrison
    Cobain
    Winehouse

There are many notable artists who managed to get sober.
    The "rock 'n roll" lifestyle applies to other music genres and it's not easy to maintain
    balance in the face of spotlights, adoring fans, tours, papparazzi -- and fame is fickle, too.
    Look at Justin Bieber. I have no comment on his talent. Just on how he was once a media darling.
    I would not be surprised to see him at Dr. Drew's Celebrity Rehab soon...

Other than the addition comments, I actually totally agree with what you said, Brenda.
    But shhh. Please don't tell anyone over in Politics and Social Issues or we will both lose our credibility
    lol
    MM

1. profile image0

Excuse us both while we kiss the sky!   wink

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol
        Yep.
        And 'scue me while I reach for the bran flakes.
        Scary when you hear the songs you grew up with playing in the supermarket...

7. Zelkiiro profile image88

Pardon me while I silence the lame-brained cries of unoriginality in modern music in one fell swoop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NutJO7gZBM

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

I'm visiting the topical forums tonight.. 
    I think there is incredible talent and music being produced now.  Even some mainstream music is really quite good.  But you can't judge the overall music industry by only looking at mainstream music. Producing music is no easy task.  I've seen the production end and it requires skill and talent and a willingness to experiment and take risks. 
    I like to listen to all kinds of music and I'm pretty amazed at what can be done now.  I'm partial to the 60's/70's, but there is great music in every decade.

9. Zelkiiro profile image88

On an (un?)related note, here's one of the best groups to ever come out of the early 90s:

Type O Negative - Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity

10. Syrupsky profile image64
    Syrupskyposted 10 years ago

I'm so happy I was born in 1989 and had the chance to grow up around pop and rnb music (as that was what I was into) from the 90s.

The music industry is definitely getting worse. I don't think it's the artists fault since they have to meet deadlines and constantly push out new singles and albums, which aren't worth anything since they make more money on tour.

I think the new generation of listeners have been robbed to the point that they are ignorant to know what real music is (depending on what music people in their household listen to).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)