Why is it considered wrong to point out crimes committed by blacks?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (25 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

Being of hispanic and white race and growing up in the south in mostly black foster homes, I have noticed it seems to be okay to state out what any race does wrong except blacks. Why is this? Why is it deemed okay to state facts like "most serial killers are white" but not okay to state "the prison system is made up of 31% to 40% black males" Why are hate crimes committed by blacks never mentioned in the media while if something happens to a black person it can spend months on the news? Why is the acceptable and why does it happen?

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is not acceptable and I am not aware that this information is being concealed.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is completely not the way it is. Remember Natalie Holloway? Remember Casey Anthony's daughter? Remember the OJ murder case? The victims were all white. More often than not the crime victims who get the most attention are white.

Why do you have the need to point it out? Murder is wrong no matter who does it.

peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed however it is bad to simply bring up race. Which  in all reality does need to get mentioned at times. My local news won't even say the race of a black person that is being searched for. So we are all being told to be on the lookout for a random person we don't have any idea what to look for!! Also I have to ask what determines a high profile case?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

My local news mentions the color of the person when they are looking for someone, that is only logical.

I guess all my local channels are not very logical then because they've all stopped stating the race of anyone they are looking for who isn't white.

Of course, that is if they know smile

I'm serious. They will have a witness and even sometimes a sketch yet refuse to say a race. I'm really not trolling or trying to start something I just genuinely don't understand why some of the media and people are becoming hyper sensitive to stating obvious things like race. If our goal is to be equal then that should include all things, not just good things.

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Gee.   I don't remember Obama saying that Caylee Anthony would've looked like him if he had a daughter.   Or that he WAS Caylee Anthony.    Or Nicole Simpson.   Or Natalie Holloway.
        Wonder why...............roll

Because they were not black in appearance like he is. Seems simple to me.

1. profile image0
            HowardBThinameposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The problem with Obama's statements is that it looks as is if he chose sides based on race - and dismissed the rule of law.

He did the same thing early on when he called the police "stupid" for arresting the black professor. It was nice that he apologized and had both parties to the White House for a beer, but it doesn't erase his initial reaction, and others view it as racial exclusionary tendencies.

I thought saying he could have been Trayvon 35 years ago, was much worse than saying if he had a kid - he'd look like Trayvon, because it gave the nation the idea that our President might have had violent tendencies as a young man.

I think we all want to believe that the President of US would not assault someone who was following him. What he said was a mistake - but it wasn't his first mistake in that area.

The truth is - we have to QUIT looking at race. Totally. We have to quit creating artificial differences because someone's skin is a different color or because they have different sexual orientations. We're all human. We're all equal. Period.

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
              MizBejabbersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is his white mother still alive. If so, I wonder what she is thinking about his racist statements. I support his stand on many things, but I wish he would shut his mouth on race. i think he is being inflamatory.

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
                MizBejabbersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OK, just answered my own question. She died in 1995 of cancer. I still think she would smack him in the mouth if she heard some of his statements, unless she had no pride at all in her own race.

1. profile image0

His white grandmother too!

2. Credence2 profile image78

In regards to American culture, race is the 'elephant in the room'. Sticking our heads into the sand and ignoring it does not eliminate its influence in American life today. I think that the president was spot-on regarding his comments and observations after the Zimmerman verdict.

2. profile image0

That's the whole point.
            IF he were an advocate for the civil rights of ALL Americans, he would've already stuck his nose into a case where there's a WHITE victim instead of just inserting his biased opinion into the Trayvon Martin case and the Professor Gates case and etc.
            And besides that whole point,  the fact is that he apparently doesn't want to stop being a liberal activist long enough to even attempt being a proper President.   
            Obama missed his calling when he became a Senator and President.   His talents lie elsewhere, in community organizing where people are actually looking for some tyrannical person to TELL them what to do.   (And even in that scenario,  I didn't say his talents were a good thing! lol)

3. profile image58
        Education Answerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is that way.  Roughly half of all gun homicides are committed by black people, yet black people comprise only 12-13 percent of our population.  Most of those homicides are committed against other black people, typically men.  Why aren't we talking about it?  Why aren't we trying to fix the problem?  People are afraid of being called a racist, so few talk about the problem.  More people die as a result.  Ignoring the problem is racist, if you ask me.

Last night, I saw a commercial for a black dating site.  Can you imagine what would happen if there was a white dating site?  How about a United White College Fund?  There is absolutely a double standard.  Instead of dealing with the real issues of racism and disadvantage, we conceal it with ridiculous appeasements like these.  Still, many, many black people largely ravaged by real, serious problems such as drugs, gangs, unwed mothers that we aren't allowed to discuss for fear of being branded a racist. 

Racism and bias treatment is wrong no matter who does it.

No, EA, I and others are talking about black crime  all the time, trying to ferret out the root cause. But the things that you say that we talk about  and assign a disproportionate amount of the blame to are still relavant. So we need to talk about both....

1. profile image58
            Education Answerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You make a good point.  Some people can, but don't seem to do it often enough, talk about the issues that plague many black people in America.  You're not a conservative, so you are aloud to talk about it.  Aren't you a progressive?  Enough said.  The race card isn't used against you, not often at least.

If you're a conservative or even a republican, don't talk about it "all the time."  You might be branded a racist.  Thus, we largely have a one-sided debate, if that.

"You make a good point."

EA, so do you.

We have William Cosby, PhD, speaking on these kinds of topics often. I may be progressive, but I don't suffer fools gladly. Where we as a group are to blame for our troubles, I will express such honestly and truthfully. I  do not claim to have a great association with the conservatives, but that does not mean I will not listen and evaluate in an intellectually honest fashion the things that are being said. Cosby and relatively conservative blacks are attacked as not understanding our unique plight in the scheme of things. Well, I say that focused and disciplined people are always going to succeed against those who are not, even in the face of overwhelming odds, be it numbers or resources. On my welcome page, a featured article with a photo of the late Sherman Hensley, (George Jefferson) from the sitcom the Jeffersons speaks directly to these kinds of things. I talk about it and I want you to talk about it as well. While it does not encompass everything, no one can deny that 'personal responsibility' is not an important aspect behind the problems in our community.

Great reply, thanks

3. profile image0

Like Obama the great Instigator said,  it "....doesn't go away".     And he's right there to make SURE it doesn't go away.   Whichever topic or incident he chooses to use for his self-righteous lectures is the incident that for sure will not go away.    He's typical of the liberal activists who just have to have drama drama drama in their lives or they're not happy.

"He's typical of the liberal activists who just have to have drama drama drama in their lives or they're not happy." 
        I'm pretty liberal and not like that.

1. profile image0

I said liberal activists, and "typical of the...."

Are you a liberal activist?

Most liberal activism is about things that should never be brought to the table.   So yeah, there are a bunch of drama queens in the liberal activist group.   I would say their mindset and propensity for creating drama where there is none,  is overwhelmingly predominant.

2. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 10 years ago

There may be a reluctance to focus on African Americans in America possibly due to stereotypes that have been placed on them by Americans. The presumption is you who are African-American etc. then you must be a drug pusher, pimp, thug or any other derogatory label that we have placed on this race.

The second issue is we can never get to the root of racism as it pertains to Blacks in America simply because we're always finding something else to focus on, pushing that race issue always onto the back burner.

When we talk about the statistics of Blacks being put in prison are we also saying that they have been targeted by this country and generally powerless to stand against the laws which are used to persecute them?

3. Wayne Brown profile image81
    Wayne Brownposted 10 years ago

Because pointing out anything to people of the black race that might suggest that they bear some responsibility and accountability for their own plight just as the rest of us do is viewed by them and some other twisted minds as "racist"...which is nothing more than a cop-out to justify continuing to do what they do while being surpressed by the white man.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)