How important are your pics?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

When I was a child I lived in a family of readers. I liked to play outside. We didn't really have TV, but I would watch it with the neighbor kids. Batman reruns mostly, but I loved it. I liked to read, but I guess I had ADD, though no one classified it back then. I remember being around 8, reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and as I read, it was like someone would sporadically turn up the volume. I could hear my own voice reading the words, and although I read them silently, the sound was deafening in my head. Odd. I read the Bible quite a bit though. I don't remember having issues with that.

Anyway, I remember my mom telling me if I didn't come to the point where I read more, she would insist on it. I don't know if this was the right way to instill the joy of reading, but at least I did understand that it was a matter of importance. Finally at age 11 or 12 I saw a picture on the front of a Victoria Holt novel. I wanted to know what the story was about. It was kind of a mystery and when no one would fill me in on the contents, I was driven to find out. I discovered the joy of reading.

To this day I am many times driven to read a piece because the picture on the outside sets a scene and I want to seek out the story within. There are times I will have a specific subject in mind for a hub, then I'll choose a picture even before I've begun to write. Sometimes the picture inspires me and or keeps me on track.

All this blathering to say, how important are your hubs' pictures to you, and do pictures draw you to read a hub when you might not have chosen it simply based on the title/subject matter?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image80
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I suppose this is obvious but my pics are vital.  They advertise the content, hopefully stand out, have my name on them.  Sometimes the picture comes first, sometimes the words.  If I can't write I doodle and vice versa.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's true, your pics are almost as important as your writings.
        Although I would read your stuff even if you didn't doodle one doodle, but what they add is quite a lot.

2. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Yes, my pics are extremely important to my hub. I take more time to find the right images than I do to write the hub. I like my images to tell a story as much as the text. Images should illustrate and enhance the hub's message, in my opinion. And yes, I will read a hub if I'm drawn in by the pic.

1. profile image0

I think you're right... the pics can almost tell a story by themselves.

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 10 years ago

The importance of pictures for me can never be under-estimated. That is largely because I write upon subjects such as food and travel, where what a reader sees can be as important if not more important than what they read. I would say that it varies depending upon topic but the visual aspect of most subject posts is hugely important.

1. profile image0

That's a great point. Your pics are great. I have no business posting recipe hubs as my phone from 1910 takes terrible pics.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)