Thighs Suddenly Itch Like Crazy and Then Itch Quickly Disappears

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (24 posts)
  1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Last summer, I was walking on the beach with my friend wearing blue jeans an all of a sudden I started itching like crazy. The itch was so horrible that I seriously wanted to just take off my pants right then and there and start scratching. We ran all the way back to the house and I locked myself in the bathroom and slathered calamine all over myself. It was so itchy that it was embarrassing! Then, as quickly as the itch came, it left.

I blamed that situation on perhaps I was allergic to some plant at the beach or something. (There's a lot of beach grass around here and it's known for being home to lots of bugs.)

However, tonight it happened again... a sudden itch while I was walking in the grocery store that was so bad that I had to go to the store bathroom and figure it out. It wasn't just a little itchy... I'm talking I thought I was having an allergic reaction.

Here are the factors that are in common between the situations:
    The itch happens VERY suddenly and then after 10-20 minutes of my suffering, it goes away very quickly.
    I was walking around when the itch started.
    I was sitting when the itch stopped.
    I was wearing kind of tight blue jeans.
    The itch ONLY occurs on my upper part of my leg... front, sides, and back of both legs.
    The inner part of my legs feel extremely warm when it happens.
    It's a VERY bad itch.
    My legs are beat red, but no bumps of any kind.

It can't be sweat mixing with detergent because our launderette uses hypoallergenic stuff. I do think it has something to do with my sweat though, because I remember when I was at the beach I was sweating because my pants were so damn tight and then tonight my pants were on the tight side.

Anyone have anything like this happen to them? Do you know what could be the cause of this?

1. brittanytodd profile image88
      brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used to have heat rashes on the back of my neck because my hair is so thick.  It would itch like crazy and turn red, but never show any bumps.  Are you walking around in hot places?  (I would guess yes because you said you were sweating.)  Try to wear looser pants or thinner ones that let your legs "breathe" a little more.  I hope this helps and maybe you can find a solution to heat rashes on the web since I think that's what it sounds like.

I hope this helps and that you find a solution to such an inconvenient issue.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have this problem at times and I am always wearing jeans when it happens. Jeans must have something to do with it.

3. profile image52
      Donte9178posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not your body it's your pants unless we have the same body but I'm a guy and I wore my tightest pants I own because I left my other pants at a friends house. Anyway when I put them on and started walking around the house it itched a bit but i just thought it was just a natural itch until I got to far to go back then I thought some one gave me crabs or something. It actually felt like I was being stuck by needles. I'm a guy and I wear boxer brifes so I'm not sure if its the pants really but under my underwear I had no itch so it might just be something about tight blue jeans. To painful to look into it again. I'm sure you don't have crabs or anything. You can take a bath and never wear pants so tight that you can't bend or makes your butt fold when you sit down. Hope this helps!!!

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Detergent was my first thought, but you eliminated that.

I did an itching symptoms search. Found some unhappy stuff...

3. rbe0 profile image60
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Staying Hydrated enough?

I agree could be allergic to detergents or something.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

It could be some kind of dye in the blue jeans. Not sure about the thigh area other than maybe your legs are rubbing together? Are your jeans stretch? They may contain synthetic materials that can cause allergic reactions. Some of the chemicals used in clothing emit toxic gases and formaldehyde. 

Kids complaining about labels is a real legitimate complaint. The labels and very often the final threading of fabrics are made with toxic chemicals. Maybe the threading in the seams?
    Flame retardant pajamas are made with toxic chemicals.

5. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

Sweat can sometimes cause a histamine response in some people.  Perhaps the tight jeans trapping the sweat against your skin intensifies the reaction.  That may be the only reason you only experience it with the jeans on.  Otherwise, it would evaporate quickly and it wouldn't trigger the response.  Just a thought.

6. melbel profile image93

Yeah, I'm guessing it's  weird sweat/allergy thing.

Strange thing I never used to have this problem in my teens when I was in my hackerwear/cyberwear phase with my pvc pants

Example of cyberwear for those who weren't really weird like me.
    http://raycastle.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341cfb9553ef0120a5130664970b-800wi

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
      wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh my gosh, that's totally what I'm wearing right now!  wink

melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haha!

Honestly, I like it.  It looks like a Katy Perry get-up.  I love the shoes, but I'd kill myself.

melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had some shoes JUST like that in high school but they were black. I walked in them just fine. Kind of strange, really, given that I broke my foot seriously BECAUSE of my "safe" non-skid kitchen shoes in culinary school.

Go figure, huh?

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dunno, the yellow star on the stick just kinds of ruins the whole ensemble, ya know?

7. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Mel,

It maybe something as simple as pins and needles in your legs. As you say, you wearing tight jeans and the itching dissipates when you sit or the jeans are no longer being worn.

Your jeans may be restricting blood flow in your legs!! Try more loose fitting jeans and see if there is a difference on occurrence.

Good luck in finding a solution!

8. melbel profile image93

They are Old Navy jeans in the case that there may be something specific about these jeans causing an issue.
    (I guess for some reason some blue jeans have formaldehyde in them... wtf?)

It could be a textile allergy, especially considering my brother suffers textile allergies. Thus far, I just have tree nut allergies and wood allergies. My sister is allergic to everything under the sun and my grandmother IS allergic to the sun. So I'd be genetically predisposed to pfftt being allergic to anything.

9. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

To me, this doesn't sound like an allergy.

The suddenness of the attack combined with how quickly it leaves strikes me of more a circulation problem.

Do you remember when you were kid going out in the snow with your bare hands and playing until they went numb?

Then when back in the house, the pain as the circulation came back? Then it would go and everything would be normal until the next time you were daft enough to go out in the snow without gloves.

Down both legs, I think I would want to doctor to check things out. Maybe a scan of your lumbar spine might show up a problem.

10. Emma Harvey profile image84
    Emma Harveyposted 12 years ago

I have the exact same problem and have tried to come up with some logical explanations.

I had this a few years ago, working on my feet for long hours. I was stressed at home and worked 10 hours a day some days. I would sit and scratch like mad sometimes, until I had bruises all over my legs. At the time I put it down to my washing powder, changed it and it seemed to stop.

Last year I started working in a busy hospital - long hours again, stressful. I would come home at the end of my shift and as soon as I took off my uniform, I would sit and scratch.

The itching was exactly as you explained. Very sudden and a need to scratch and scratch. Then it would go away.

I have recently moved away from living in London, changed jobs and my lifestyle has relaxed a bit. I have barley scratched like it since. I could put it down to a number of things:
    The heat and working on my feet all day. I do have varicose veins and maybe poor circulation. It could be dehydration. Or maybe stress. If anyone does know - I'd also be happy for the answer!

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

It sounds like the sweat is interacting with the chemicals in the jean fabric and rubbing against your skin with the tight pants.  Were they new or relatively new jeans?

Depending on the wash of the denim; dark, bleached, antique look, they use different chemicals to get that look and feel. It's good to give new jeans a separate laundering (before wearing0 with a full tub of water and let them soak. It can help get rid of the formaldehyde smell and loosen the fabric.  The formaldehyde is used on many fabrics for easy care. It's in a lot of clothing, including infant and baby wear! One of my hubs about children's health touches on the topic, protecting children from toxins in the home.

I certainly don't know for sure what is causing your problem, but it could be the chemicals. And possibly because the pants are so tight. hmm

12. cherylone profile image88
    cheryloneposted 12 years ago

I was talking to my sister (who trained as a medical assistant) and she was having the same issue with a pair of jeans she had purchased at a second hand store.  At first she thought it was because of where she got them, but then she realized she had two other pair (from the same source) that didn't bother her but they didn't fit as tightly as the first pair.  I suspect (though I can't guarantee it) that it is a combination of the sweat, the tight pants and the fact that your legs can't breath very well in the confined space.  Try washing and hanging the jeans sideways to dry, sometimes that stretches the material and it might help.  smile

13. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I used to get that due to being overheated.

14. profile image52
    Benjaminzposted 11 years ago

Hi melbel!  I'm so glad i found your post on the net.
    Thanks to you and those who've been such good help with their posts, I'm able to figure out more of this issue.
    I probably have the itchy leg syndrome the worst because i have it on my balls.
    It sucks big time. It's like torture 24/7 when im not wearing comfortable clothing at home. For me it really seems like its coming from the seams from the pants.

I did some searching and...
    "Some experts have believed formaldehyde or various resins or textile finishes might be responsible for the skin irritations but laboratory tests have been negative for these factors."

"An Oregon physician reporting on the syndrome says that wearing pre-washed, cotton-only Levis blue jeans - not so-called designer jeans - worked for one of his patients."

And lastly, I wouldn't waste my time going to doctors I guess.
    I've already been to a dermatologist and they didn't have those kind of materials/chemicals in your jeans to actually test it and I've already read testimonials of other ppl finding out absolutely nothing from their doctors as well.

The only solution other to finding pants you're not allergic to is to wear skirts, easy since you're a girl.

1. ramkimeena profile image55
      ramkimeenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is fungus infection. Use azole based drug to cure it. Avoid soap in that itchy area. Keep the area dry. While sleeping allow air to touch that area.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)