DMCA Counter-notice = Doomed?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)
  1. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 10 years ago

When someone copies your work on Google's Blogger platform it is easy enough to file a DMCA and have it taken down.  However, if you read through the process, the infringing blog owner also has the right to file a counter-notice, and claim they did nothing wrong.

For example, many of them don't seem to understand Fair Use, and think it's okay to copy entire articles and claim they are "educational" or "for commentary".  What they are really doing is swiping content to fill their blog, instead of writing it themselves.

If I understand it correctly, if a blog owner makes such a counter-claim Google restores their page and basically steps away.  So what happens next?  Is legal action the only recourse?

Has this ever happened to anyone, and what did you do?

1. CraftytotheCore profile image74
      CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've had the opposite happen several times.  I write something based on factual events that happened to me personally, and someone else copies it to another site claiming it's their story.  The only proof is the publishing date.    I've also created greeting cards and wrote tutorials on how to make them.  I found them later published in craft magazines and whoever submitted my card got paid $50.

2. Marketing Merit profile image95
      Marketing Meritposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes Eric, that has always been something that has concerned me and I have read, at least one article, where that has happened. I'm not talking about big corporate copyright disputes but just your typical one man blogger. The offending chap was located in China but was savvy enough to know what would happen if he filed a counter-notice.

If a counter-notice is submitted then you only have a short period of time to commence legal proceedings. That comes with an estimated cost of $100k I believe. A couple of shrewd copyright thieves, especially when based outside of United States, do actually file such notices, in order to get their site credibility restored.

Another problem, which I'm having at the moment, is that the host does not take down the content after serving a DMCA. In my case, they said that they did not have direct control over the data. I believe that this is possible if, for example, they provide dedicated servers. Nonetheless, what do I do in the meantime? Do I start litigation over 1 article? I think not.

If you research this a bit further, there are plans I believe to set up some form of disputes resolution board which would resolve small matters for a nominal charge. I believe that this is because the shortcomings of DMCA are all too apparent. However, I suspect that this is some way off, as of yet..

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Blogger errs on the side of taking it down.  They don't want to be involved in litigation.

1. Marketing Merit profile image95
      Marketing Meritposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Under DMCA, they are legally obliged to restore the content, I believe, if a counter-notice is received. This basically leaves the copyright holder with the headache of commencing litigation.

In order not to get sued, Blogger have to act lawfully, which does mean restoring content upon receipt of a counter-notification.

Of course, they could restore it and then remove it for another infringement such as duplicate content maybe, but they cannot fail to act upon the counter-notification.

3. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 10 years ago

Have your ever noticed on cooking shows how much of our recipes end up on the shows.
    Sometimes the dates on blogs don't help because the blog is older than your own hub but they have just changed things and added your stuff. I had this happen to me recently with an image and it took me awhile to prove to Google it was mine.

1. CraftytotheCore profile image74
      CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, interesting Moonlake!  The few times I've spotted my articles copied, I had proof by the publishing date that they published after me.  But I see what you are saying here about the blog being older!  (I pity the fool that wants to copy my stuff anyway.  I can't imagine who would want to even pretend they have half the stuff happen to them that I have had happen to me! LOL)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)