Style Tip Ad Warnings Issue

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Style tips can trigger a 'too many ads' warning even if there are only singleton ads showing on a page, .

The issue seems to be that only one amazon product has been added to a capsule but the capsule is configured to show multiple ads.

ie 'Maximum number of items to display' equals 3 or more but the hubber has then entered a single product link.

Perhaps the capsule could be changed to avoid the confusion and also possible exclusion from EC hubs?

I have a feeling that on the older set up '3' was the default setting so this could be a widespread issue.

1. galleryofgrace profile image72
      galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Could be but we are allowed 2 products per capsule and as far as I know there is no limit on the number of capsules.

Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are indeed allowed 2. The problem is that older capsules were set to display three items. Even if you did not enter product details for more than 2 items that original setting remains and triggers the warning.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
          Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Will,
          So you mean we can have more than 1 item, it just can't be on a capsule where you used to have 4 or 5 items, but only have about 3 on there now?

2. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8286974_f520.jpg

The capsule is showing only one ad but the '3' is tripping the warning.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You should be able to edit each of the product capsules and change this setting to 1.
      That should have an effect on the style tip.
      Otherwise, you can disregard the warning.

Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The point is that Robyn has suggested in another thread that the Style Tips warning are being used to decide which hubs are chosen for EC status. If we are told that this was not the case then false warnings from the Style Tips do not matter. If it is the case, then they do matter.

Style Tips are not the only criteria for Editors Choice.
          Hubs with many style tips are unlikely to be chosen and those with few or none are more likely.
          An excellent Hub that only has one style tip will not necessarily not be an Editors Choice due to that alone.

I think it's ridiculous that we have to go back for at least the 5th time and change all these hubs. I am trying to make more Amazon capsules with only 2 items in them, although that is not adequate for some of my informational hubs and will not help my readers understand the material.

I put my own "copyright" on some hubs because my best three were stolen, and it obviously is a fake one. Of course, I am not going to apply for copyrights on hubs as that idiotic blue box idea was suggested. I know many people who do this and it is a deterrent. I do not think it's illegal, while it is illegal to steal hubs that belong to others. How many times do you think we are going to keep "restyling" I believe is the euphemism you are now using, to insist we spend hours changing these damn things again? I'm ready to delete them all and take my writing elsewhere.

The reasons for all these changes are always vague. For anyone who has more than 100 hubs, it is very time consuming. And I have never made any more money from any of this stuff. If I had the time that I wasted moving things around and fixing hubs from 2 and a half years ago, I could have written a lot more good content. So I don't see what the point is. Especially for the Amazon hubs. Whatever happened to that "great rate" we were promised HP had negotiated for hubbers about a year or so ago? It never gets better, only worse.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
        Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is there any way to have the system change this so we don't have to manually do this?  Since the former level was set by HubPages at 3, it seems that they should be able to set it to 2 or 1 depending on the number of products that are in the capsule.  Leave the number that is more than 2 alone for us to edit manually as we will have to decide which product(s) we no longer want to have on our hubs.

I've just spent 2 hours "restyling" about 15 hubs. If you like the first 2 items you put in the capsule, sometimes you can just delete the rest of them. But if you had more items, and gradually deleted some of them along the way, that doesn't always work. Then you have to start from scratch again. You can find some newer items you like more if the hub is old, but it's still annoying and more wasted time when people could be writing. I had planned to write a new hub tonight, and now it's too late.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 10 years ago

You'll still get the warning if you have more than two hand-picked, valid and live product offerings in any one capsule. 

But if you have a warning on a hub where you have a capsule that has four hand-picked, relevant items and convert it into two capsules with two items each, the system thinks it's all okay.  What the heck is the point of having to make such a basic change?

OK, thanks Will and relache,
      I do have hubs where I began with more products, then deleted them, so the capsule is set at more than 3. I'll fix it, but am getting really sick of changing these hubs every time I turn around. I usually put books on them, because there aren't many products for informational hubs, so I don't make any money anyway. Most of the capsules are from earlier days when I was more optimistic.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image72

Right now the tip shows for any product capsules with 2 or more products.
      We are looking into addressing side by side capsules as well.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh great!  As not everyone likes both eBay and Amazon I sometimes do that with side by side Amazon and eBay capsules to give readers an easier choice! smile

2. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Since Google doesn't care how many Amazon products are on a quality article (and has stated so), why does HubPages think it is a bad thing to have more than two products in a group?

Why do you think users would rather see two choices instead of four choices?

For the record, as it were, will the HP staff comment on this? ('No Comment' is fine, but then that will be the answer recorded.)

Hubs that do not have large blocks of product capsules provide a better user experience.
          Large blocks of products also make Hubs look bad.
          We also found that Hubs with fewer products have better click through rates.  Too many choices tends to overwhelm the reader and they are less likely to click any products.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
            Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let me make sure I understand this.  You actually found evidence that having four products in a grouping instead of two overwhelms visitors to the point that it lowers the click-through rate to Amazon products?  It seems to me if that were true that Walmart, supermarkets, department stores and shopping malls would be considered overwhelming experiences and unsuccessful in encouraging people to actually purchase things online or in person.  Not to mention the Amazon website itself!

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Well, I sicced the Style Tips on one of my hubs. I liked that "Make it happen!" phrase. big_smile

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I've now done 4 hubs. They were all very low traffic to begin with. So I figured nothing to lose.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)