What is going on? Scores do not directly do anything for me.

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (101 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Hubber scores do not reflect anything but some weird algorithm that is not in sync with anything. My score just went sixteen points down. My views are up and I am featured way more that 140 times.
    But what I noticed was Billybuc. He is an 88. What? He is the highest ranking site at Hub pages. This guy has a ranking on the web that to my knowledge no individual person can even closely compete with. Look it up yourself.
    So how could the hubber that brings more traffic to Hub pages than anyone else have a score of 88? And yet we see folks with an little "a" by their names have 100 scores and you go to their profile and find 22 hubs and most are just skank writing of a 12 year old..Just so filthy with SEO and Keywords that you vomit.

Here is my point: A real writer gets ten times the visits as one of these wannabee's. He clearly brings in more views and more money to HP. And his stuff is consistent, extremely well written and respected. But his hubber score is below an apprentice.

Thoughts?

1. Kathryn Stratford profile image89
      Kathryn Stratfordposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If Bill's number is only 88, the Hubscore really means nothing! He is one of the best writers around, with a great following. I am not going to place any trust on that score. It's too bad.
      Ouch, your score went down 16 points?! That is awful. I'm sorry, that must have been shocking.
      Maybe the simple act of being an apprentice causes their scores to go up? Hmm, strange.
      Thanks for sharing this with us, and I look forward to hearing what others say.
      ~ Kathryn

Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This one is so bad that it makes us look like idiots to write here. If we are not scored on quality and not scored on hits and not scored on longevity and consistency ----- What the heck are we doing here? I can write on Pinterest, Facebook, Google blogger or my own wordpress.
        But now I have to look at Billybuc and question his integrity because he writes here and here is becoming a laughing stockyard.
        Mathew Myers wrote some stuff on this but it sounds like lawyer/spin doctor garbage. Which is also below him.
        This problem is systemic. And affects/effects credibility.

2. Hikapo profile image80
      Hikapoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8276224_f248.jpg

1. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. Ericdierker profile image45

I have done a bad job getting moral integrity across. People somehow think I care what my score is. I am far more excited about the Chargers versus Seahawks game tonight so I can make mockery of Bill Holland. I know he is a Mariners fan but still.

1. Mark Johann profile image58
        Mark Johannposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I also believe that in the world of cyberspace, there are many unpredictable things that may take place. Just hold on.

I remember I got 95 score, author score the suddenly, I added my hubs 3 more and my score now is 82. I have not added my hubs for five months.

It is so strange but I know later this will increase.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You've hit on an annoying fact about HubPages:  scores mean nothing.  They are not a reflection of a Hubber's writing ability - a good part of Hubberscore is based on activity on the site (questions, forums etc) not writing at all. 

This causes needless angst, and waste of effort, as newbies spend hours focussing on improving their HubberScore when they should be focussing on improving their writing and knowledge of SEO. 

A while back, there was an excellent discussion between Hubbers and two HubPages staff members who were noted for their honesty and transparency.  They both agreed that Hubber Scores were meaningless and misleading.   They said the only reason they were still there, was that HubPages was reluctant to get rid of them until they could come up with a better scoring system. 

One of those staff members has since left, and the other is no longer participating in the forums.   Subsequently, the founder of HubPages, Paul Edmonson, posted to say  he thought Hubber Scores were wonderful things.   Since then not one staff member has dared express reservations about them!

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, I'm glad to read your input here.  I was composing my post before I saw yours, so some of your comments are duplicated in mine.

To Ericdierker:

I'm sorry that you are not receiving much supportive feedback on your post.  I think the reason for that is because the subject was covered in the forum about two months ago when the advice from a HubPage's employee was to just ignore your Hubber author score:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112850

But, because writers can't really ignore the big score slapped across their tiny avatar faces, the discussion continued here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112915

Then Paul Edmondson, the CEO stepped in with a comment that pretty much shut down the conversation because he created the Hubber score concept and wants it to continue: "It does have importance.  Generally, people with high HubScores [I think he meant Hubber] are more trusted and active community members.  We are also feeding more quality data into the score and will adapt it over time to be more reflective of Hub Quality."

So, management just ignored all the complaints people had about the public display of this Hubber Score because 'honey badger don't care' about their feelings. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg)

And now that it has come to pass that your Hubber score is "more reflective of Hub Quality" your score went down and mine went down by seven points. Welcome to the 'new and improved' Hubber Score. So now, the discussion should turn to the Hub Scores.

75% of my Hubs which receive at least 100 visitors from Google per week are rated in the 70s by the HP Hub Score.  In other words, what Google and users think is a quality article, HP's algorithm doesn't agree.  HP management has to know this; it has statistics on every Hub on the site. So the lesson is that, for the most part, HP doesn't want articles on the site which Google and users like.

HP can't have it both ways.  It cannot create a HubScore so diametrically opposed to the Google search engine algorithm and user click-thru rate and still expect traffic from Google to improve. HP site traffic is free-falling and that will continue until management redesigns the QAP rubric, the HubScore calculations, the guidelines for writers and hires real SEO content editors (of which there are plenty in northern California).

The fact that the site is 'free' for writers is not exclusivity.  There are dozens of sites where writers can post content for free.  But, from a business perspective, there are a limited number of quality writers who are able to attract search engine traffic and who are willing to post content for 'free', especially on a revenue-sharing site where income is falling with Google's opinion of the site's overall content policies.

In Paul Edmondson's forum post, he also said: "I still want HubScore to be recognizable.  We'll see how the display of HubScore impacts this in our prototype/testing."  I can hardly wait for that one.  Seriously, HP is going to put its flawed QAP rating on display right on your Hub.  Honey badger don't get it.

2. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Something is very wrong with a system where my score is equal with Billy's.

3. ChitrangadaSharan profile image88
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years ago

My hubber score has gone down from 97 to 88 in just one to two days. Disappointing, but if such great hubbers are having this problem, I should not complain.
    Thanks for starting this discussion!

4. Shadow Jackson profile image65
    Shadow Jacksonposted 10 years ago

May it's his positive energy that drives his hubscores up. lol j/k I don't get it either.

5. Faith Reaper profile image82
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

It is that new aggregate profile scoring that has been implemented of taking into account all of one's hub scores as was explained in the hub weekly email. Guess we need to delete all hubs under the score of 80!

I do not make money here at all, never have. I do not get famous here, never have. I joined here for the integrity. But last night my daughter visited and it was negative. I mean she asked why I am putting my good stuff in a lousy supermarket tabloid? She is only in early twenties with two degrees from Berekeley but it still hurt.
      I want my wife and kids to be proud of what I do. Hub pages is denying that.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is just a pride issue. It causes you to look down on yourself and others.
        If your daughter came home from high school and said ppl had made fun of her, wouldn't you tell her not to focus on the opinions of others? I think maybe you and your loved ones might be a tad over critical.

Very cool Beth37. Pride is a group of special animals that live together. They support and protect one another. And we call it a Pride. For you to suggest this is a Pride issue may be correct but you obviously do not know why. Read my work. There is pride in it. Because I share it here and my friends know me and care for me. That is pride. I am proud and do not like a system to make me unproud.

1. Mark Johann profile image58

Again Eric, I think you forgot that I am your fan. I respected you ever since. You are one of the authors I honor in this site.

2. profile image0

ok

2. Faith Reaper profile image82
        Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Believe me I understand about fa mily too!  However, it appears to be thr result of the implementation of the new profile scoring. Check out your new weekly emsil fom HP! That is the only thing that I can understand why all or most have dropped and the only thing in my mknd if one is concerned about the score is to maybe remove lower scoring hubs? Just guessing.

2. NateB11 profile image88

I'm actually kind of relieved. I noticed my Hubber score dropping and didn't know what was happening. Thought maybe I did something wrong. Good to know it's the aggregate profile scoring taking all Hub scores into account. Thanks for the info. I did know they were calculating Hubber scores differently, but didn't know exactly how.

And actually I've been thinking about deleting and moving some low-scoring, low-performing Hubs anyway; this might give me some incentive. I'm going to wait it out a bit, then move on it. Or not.

6. Faith Reaper profile image82
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

It is that new aggregate profile scoring that has been implemented of taking into account all of one's hub scores as was explained in the hub weekly email. Guess we need to delete all hubs under the score of 80! Mine went from 97 to 87 really fast!

1. profile image0

Oh is that the problem? Holy cow... I have so many under 80 I couldn't even qualify for AARP.

1. Seafarer Mama profile image78
        Seafarer Mamaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL. I like that one, Beth. ~:0)

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
      Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Faith:  I'll bet you agree with me on this:  Some of my hubs mean something to me more than their hubscore and there is no way I'd delete them.  HP has gotten too "show me the money" about writing, which is not what they said a few years ago when they recruited so many of us.  It's hard to ignore the numbers, but in spite of all their girations with numbers, my views continue to increase as do my earnings.  I wish they would leave something that's not broken alone.

1. Faith Reaper profile image82

I do agree, Kathleen, as some of those older hubs are my best hubs ever and mean so much to me as far as the reason I started to write to begin with.  I did not sign up to "earn" money for over a year and several months, and just recently signed up to "earn" money just for the sake of me being on here so much commenting, etc., which takes up a lot of one's time no doubt!  Yes, I wish they would leave it alone too.  I cannot believe you are down to 88.  I mean I was literally at 97 and then boom, dropped!!!  You are right, that is not what they said a few years ago!  Thanks, Kathleen.

7. Doodlehead profile image49
    Doodleheadposted 10 years ago

The hub score is designed from all of us getting too cocky.  Its sole purpose is to cause misery.

8. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 10 years ago

If what you are truly sweating are your HubScores, a lot of things here are going to make you crazy.  Those numbers are only an internal reflection of a mystery algorithm, and that's all they've ever been.

The "a" on profiles just means the person was part of and completed the experimental Apprentice program here.  It doesn't mean that program was successful at what it was attempting to do, and it should be noted that program stated very clearly from the get-go that it was not about teaching people to write.

Relache, please do not move this into the category of, do not worry. I am trying to get deeper. I am suggesting that the scoring is harmful because it lacks any credibility. PLEASE I understand it does not make us good or bad by itself. It makes Hub Pages look like idiots and thereby makes those of us posting here look like idiots. Can you please stay the course?
      The "a" comment was to make a point. Not the subject of this forum.

1. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Where did I say "don't worry?"  I'm not seeing me typing/expressing those words.  I said if the scores drive you crazy, so will a lot of other things.  I stand by that statement, much as I stand by my experience that how scores work has never been explained by admin and will continue to never be explained by admin.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8277349.jpg

1. Cardisa profile image88
          Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We have been through this many, many times. 

If you're trying to get the attention of staff in the hope they'll do something about it, then you're wasting your time in this thread as this section of the forum isn't monitored by staff.

If you want to discuss this where staff will see it, I suggest you revive this thread, where several people have already made exactly the point you're making:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/107466

I do not get it.

2. profile image0
      summerberrieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

relache,
      You are so right about the apprenticeship program. I've always perceived it as a means to turn out a large quantity of specific type of content (word count, using the capsules, pleasing layout, original photos, ect...) quickly as possible.   

Now that the QAP is up and running EVERYONE on hubpages is required to write within the same perimeters the apprentice were required to write in order to remain in the program. 

I think this is the main reason the program has been phased out.....

About the hubberscore~ HP is not going to budge on making any changes to it other than what it has made already~ it is not going away. I'm not sure what the hubberscore reflects, but I know it does not reflect ones ability to write. For a writing site, this seems odd to me, too.

9. profile image0
    Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years ago

While I am also frustrated with the mystery of how both hub and hubber scores are determined, I don't really understand how those numbers make anyone here look like an idiot or how they make HubPages a supermarket tabloid or laughing stockyard. Most people who happen upon a hub from a search engine never see a score of any kind and if they do, wouldn't know what it meant unless they researched. And you know what they'd find if they researched? This thread or others like it discussing how hubber scores mean nothing.

If you are worried about integrity and writing somewhere with a good reputation you should avoid all 2.0 sites altogether as there is no way to keep cheap quality writing from infecting the image of the entire site. I'm more worried about that than the number next to my face. But since I choose to be here, I just focus on creating the best hubs I can and ignore everything else.

Jennifer, let me walk through. If you go to a grocery store and you like supporting that local market. And then that market starts claiming that Kangaroo meat is beef. And you told 20 friends to go to that market ---- are you happy? If you lend your name to someone and they go out and sell you as a hooker are you happy?
      The Hubber score is our label. Do you want tainted fruit at your local market that you promote? And do you want your neighbor who brings in fruit have to sell it at a discount because the shopkeeper discriminates against locals?

1. profile image0
        Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My hubber score is not my "label". My quality writing is.

The same number of people will search for, find, read and hopefully benefit from my hubs regardless of a number.

I do understand your frustration. I just choose not to get worked up about it. Sounds like you should be writing elsewhere if your number means that much to you. But I guess your point is to get HubPages to do something about it . . . so hopefully they will. And if its because of this thread then I thank you for that. I'm not holding my breath though.

2. Mark Johann profile image58

Somehow you have a point, Jennifer. I also understand that some people write for integrity and fulfillment.

10. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

While I can understand your frustrations with your score dropping, I think there are some things that need clarification. You make it sound as though all Apprentices are bad writers, that's not the case.  We go through the program learning how to develop hubs that HP has determined are the type of content it wants to display.  Apprentices learn about writing for the web and for the search engines, because that's what HP and this platform were designed for.

You can agree or disagree with that, but the fact of the matter is HubPages is running its business the way it chooses to.  I don't agree with everything they do, but it's their site and I conform my writing for HP to their standards.  When I do creative writing, I use my own blog and promote that writing elsewhere. What I write determines where I publish it.

Trashing other writers isn't how to improve your score and in all honesty, the score truly doesn't matter that much.  People who like your work are going to read it regardless.  The first time I came to HubPages I had no idea what the little number in the corner of the avatar was - and I'm sure most others don't either.

My score dropped a bit also, I am not sweating it - why? Because I have plenty of people who read my writing and they could care less what my hubberscore is, so long as I am providing the information they are seeking.  I also read hubs that interest me and I don't check the writers score first. If the hub is good that person's score doesn't matter.  A lot of good writers have low scores due to not being here for very long for example.

11. SerraB profile image63
    SerraBposted 10 years ago

Seems to me you're trying to compare everyone against one, or 'a' people against a person you enjoy.  That's all very linear thinking for a dynamic that is in no way linear. I'm sure that logic and reason will eventually win over the deep hurt you seem to be feeling, and then projecting onto others by talking down to them when they do not agree with you.

Thank you all so much for participating. But from Jennifer, to Sally, to Serra and ChristinS. You folks are talking it personal. I am talking business. I am talking about web awareness and promotion and reality. I do not care like I care about who wins a football game. I am not talking about feelings of pride or sad.
      There is a term we use called "brand" or "branding" a brand is good or bad. Hub pages is making it bad.

1. ChristinS profile image40
        ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, it appears to me that you are the one taking the score personally. I was explaining why it's not a big deal. If you think HP tarnishes your image why write here? Why not start your own site? or go somewhere more friendly to the type of material you write?

You opened the forum by trashing apprentices and our writing. I was merely pointing out that we are customizing our writing here to match HP's platform.  If you don't like HP's platform or find it doesn't suit your needs go to another venue. 

Most writers use different venues for different writing styles/types

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
          DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am not an apprentice, have never applied to the program, and yet took offense to this persons comments. I had the same thought you did, Christin--if he is so unhappy here and feels that we are just a bunch of spoiled and infected meat (or tainted fruit, take your pick), and he does not want to write here after listening to his daughter´s comments, all he really needs to do is stop publishing here. It is that easy.

exactly. No need to trash others or the site that has allowed them to publish here freely.  If you don't like the rules or how it's run - leave and start your own site or find another site that caters to what you want to do. 

HP is running a business and it is in their (and our) best interests that they do what they can to make this website profitable and help it recover from the panda/penguin beatings it has taken.

2. agilitymach profile image93
        agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Christin.  You specifically pointed out the apprentices.  I don't think that is fair at all, and in fact, find your assessment of their abilities to be exceedingly incorrect.  I have yet to see an apprentices' work that I did not find to be well written.  This is an informational article-based site - not necessarily a creative writing site (although some creative writing does exist here).  If you don't like the format, go elsewhere, but please don't critique what you don't seem to understand.

Apprentices - I say you all rock, and I wish I were one.  There's so much I don't know about on-line writing.

BTW, the new hub score is supposed to relate highly to the QAP score.  I suspect long-term hubbers might find their scores lower from hubs that were not updated prior to undergoing the recent QAP.  They may get tons of views, but they aren't "stellar" hubs.  They are older versions of what was acceptable on-line writing a few years ago.  In my one year here, what is considered good work has drastically changed.  It's hard to keep all the hubs current. 

We all asked Hubpages to fix the hubber score to relate to our QAP so we know where we stand with our quality.  If your hubber score is low, perhaps you should go update some hubs.

12. SerraB profile image63
    SerraBposted 10 years ago

I don't understand how the hubber score more-accurately reflecting what HP wants it to represent is changing the brand of the site. I'm new, so does Hubber score change how I am found in Google? Am I hidden in any way since it has gone below 90? Is my pay less? Is there a stigma against my non-90+ score?

1. profile image0
      Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.

2. ChristinS profile image40

It's not changing the brand of the site, it is to more accurately reflect HP's standards and no the hubber score is not going to affect how you are found in google.  Unfeatured hubs, if you have any unfeatured due to quality, are not indexed with Google.

1. SerraB profile image63
        SerraBposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, that helps a lot. smile I'm guessing my hubs will be fine and things will stay as they have been, since I have traffic and passed QAP.

2. Ericdierker profile image45

I am sorry for not being more clear. This is not about how we feel. I am talking about the credibility of the site. I make my money writing legal briefs. So scores mean nothing to me.
        I am talking about that if you have a score of 100 (billion) it just makes you look like a toady. That Hub pages owes the world some respect and not to be the Google clown.

1. SerraB profile image63

I guess I'll just have to walk away with the understanding we see things differently, because I don't understand what you mean at all. Good luck with your writing.

2. ChristinS profile image40

Actually, since you don't own or run HubPages and you are able to publish here for free, it is really not for you to say what HubPages is required to do.  If you don't like their platform write somewhere else.  Problem solved. You talk of bullies Eric, but the only one here being condescending and bullying is you - projection much?

Serra and Christin We are right not to see eye to eye and that is fine. I never really like cheerleaders much. I was trying to have deep discussion. You seem to think what I am writing about is "who got the highest grade?" When what I am talking about is the integrity of the institution that gives us that grade. Just try to think beyond "who got what" and think about what it means in a larger context like the WWW/internet.
            I am sure that makes me a bully but you guys are dealing on a totally different level than what I speak of.
            I am focusing on deeper meaning. I do not care what your or my score is. I care that it represents crap.

Again, if you don't like the platform go somewhere else. Why should HP have to model their business around what you deem is good enough? I'm sorry we aren't "deep" enough for you because we are pointing out the obvious in that if you don't like something don't go there. 

If I go to a business and I don't like the way it is run - I take my business elsewhere. It really is quite simple. It's not "deep" to trash other people - it's quite petty actually.

13. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

Exactly what do you want the scores to do for you?  I've noticed you have two forum threads in which you're bashing writers who choose to write differently than yourself and your favorite hubbers.  The site has different kinds of writers with different reasons for publishing here.  The site itself obviously wants to promote the kind of writing that attracts readers, and advertisers who are willing to run a campaign here and reach their performance goals.  Certain kinds of writing are not going to attract those advertisers.

I see no reason to pick on writers who are trying to make money or improve their online writing skills.

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

RebekahELLE, I have noticed the same thing and it amazes me how other people are quick to criticize. What some people don't get is that HP is a business as was designed for writers to earn. Bashing people who write for money is redundant and show little knowledge of what online writing is really about.

RebekahElle, can you please focus here. It is about credibility for the site as a serious writing platform. I do not give a flying --------- if I have 47 score. Who Cares??
      What I care about is that the site I write on has credibility. And if they rank poof poof writers above real writers then they are poof poof and I am embarrassed writing for them.
      Can you get that. Or do you think that the guy on the playground who stands up for the weakling is a bigger jerk than the bully? I do not get this complaint that I complain

1. agilitymach profile image93
        agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In my mind's eye, you are the bully, not the guy standing up for the weakling.  Saying writers are "toadies," and that their body of work is "poof poof" and lacks credibility is bullying in the highest order in my book.

It's sad you don't have an open mind to realize an informational article-type format isn't "toady."  It's helpful to the searcher.

I know when I search, I'm not looking for witty writing, creative writing or such.  I'm looking for information.  If you don't provide it for me, then I'm very sorry to have clicked your article.

If you don't like that - go publish elsewhere.  Hubpages is about making money on search engines, not providing you a platform to call others who are different than you "toadies."   And how on earth can a legal brief writer call other toadies?  A mirror might be in order here.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your first line makes me chuckle.  You take yourself way too seriously.  I don't think you really want discussion, you simply want attention.  HP is a business. Period.

rebekahELLE that is as rude and condescending a comment as I have ever seen. I imagine that hub pages will  give you a thumbs up for it. Be well and prosper. I am hurt deeply by your comment I feel horrible because of what you said. I am seared by the sword of your words. You should be proud.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not the one with forum threads demeaning other writers.  Please.

2. SerraB profile image63

I really hope you're joking. After telling people to focus, talking about having 'deeper discussions' and my favorite, "you go to their profile and find 22 hubs and most are just skank writing of a 12 year old..Just so filthy with SEO and Keywords that you vomit."

Skank writing that leads to vomit...is not hurtful? Why? Because you didn't name names? GMAB, dude.

Nice ladies. All that is hyperbole. I got these buddies from India that are using translation stuff to even write acceptable trash. I love em. They write "how to'" and they write recipe stuff. And I just love them.
              That is me. My brother says I am an idiot. But I tell him: There is a heart in that stuff. My brothers and sisters from Benghazi are working their butts off just to publish in English and I adore them. They are the Raza of life, the spice that lets me breathe and know there is good everywhere.

I have a doctorate and I give it to every one who publishes. They have the balls to put work out for others to judge and they want to fight for their right to be judged the same as me.  There is a story out of India about a dog boy who kicks ass and becomes a gaziiilionaire.

I need my HP to hold up that standard, that flag that we can all salute and be damned proud of. I call on them to be the standard bearer and walk more proud than me, I need them.

14. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

Way back, when we were all unhappy about hubber scores, I said in the forums that a hubber score should reflect an author's ability to write and that it should remain fairly constant. For example, a hubber score should not go down for not submitting new articles for a while. In other words, not writing new articles does not mean you suddenly are not as good a writer as when you wrote the articles that got you a high score in the first place.

I'm glad tat HP staff have now finally taken this point into consideration. When I was submitting new hubs regularly my score was always in the high nineties. Since I went on strike because of the dreaded Related Search saga and decided not to write another hub until they were removed, my score went down to 85. Today my score is back up to 93.

b.t.w. Those who don't know the difference between affects/effects deserve a low hubber score. Just saying.

Sue you are awesome. This comment is really what it is all about. Sometimes I am just a big whale --- you know just surfacing long enough to blow my spout and then I just go back and swim with my buddies.
      Effect
      Affect
      I hope that my affect reflects the effect that you have had on me. All smiles.

2. Faith Reaper profile image82

Sue, good point.  When I was publishing at least one or two a week, my score would be in the high 90s, but then when things in my life have gotten so busy with family crises, I was just not able to write, and then the score would drop right away.  So, I am glad to know it happened to someone else, as I have seen others who do not publish in months with high scores.  Just confusing.  I agree that the writer's score who is deemed to be a good writer should not go down due to not publishing.  Thanks for sharing here.  Blessings.

15. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

Hubber score today mattered to me!! I have many links from here to my own sites etc and now they are all no-followed as HP have raised the follow bar from 75 to 85!
    My hubber score has for some reason dropped to 80! Maybe someone can take a look at my hubs or my account or whatever and just explain why my hubscore is sub the level of deserving follow links!

With links being no-followed, traffic dropping, payments dropping etc this is the first time that I find myself questioning the value of leaving my work here!

1. Jenn-Anne profile image75
      Jenn-Anneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was just going to point out this same thing - whether you think hubber score matters or not, we've been told that if your score is less than 85 then your links become nofollow. If that matters to you then you can't simply disregard your hubber score as being of no importance.

My understanding is that Hubs become no-index if the Hubber score drops below the threshold which is now 85. Further, I understood that to mean the Hubs don't get indexed in the search engine. Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong. If it is so, it's kind of a big deal, I'd think.

1. Jenn-Anne profile image75
          Jenn-Anneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about hubs being de-indexed for hubber scores less than 85. I hadn't heard anything about that. They did recently say links would be no-follow for those with scores under 85.

Yes, I realized after I wrote that, Jenn-Anne, that I had it mixed up with the featured/unfeatured thing; if a Hub is unfeatured, it has the no-index tag. I've never heard it related to score, fortunately.

Nate there is a disconnect here. I do not have a single hub score above the seventies. Last I counted I have 203 featured. And they just told me that one with over a thousand views is un featured because I am ugly and my nose is to big and I growl at kittens.
          I think we are getting to the heart of this matter. It is good. People who cannot write are judging those who can. And they are using "tools" to decide. Well then. I have a sledge hammer and they only have needle nose pliers.

Leanman, that is why I wrote the forum issue. Nobody talking here is right or wrong. But by talking we are getting along.

Please be like me. Get really angry and mad about it. And then smile and know that "the road ain't sunny and the road ain't easy ,, but honey don't you fret, we will get there yet"

16. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

I note with pride that my score is higher than most of those on this thread.  That is despite not publishing anything, getting ads pulled on a page which I then deleted, and being generally hacked off with proceedings here.

I guess if I continue to moan my score can only get higher.

I believe, also with great pride, that the Hubscore will not make me a single cent and for that I am truly proud of my efforts, ability and blah blah fill in later.

I do not think the hubbers score reflects so much on the writer but on the company. And it kind of reflects badly on their ability to deal with things. So if we write here does that reflect badly on us?

1. profile image0

If I say "no" what will happen?

Beth37, thank you so much for participating in this forum. And thank you for being a hubber.
          I am just going to keep writing here. I love it here. It makes me happy. I got an email that told me that I make Hub Pages money. Cool to the rule. We are lucky and blessed to be able to share our stuff with each other. Just getting to know you makes my life better. Again thank you.

1. profile image0

haha, and I thought I was sarcastic. lol

Beth37,
              I am one of the most sarcastic bastards this side of Hades but I am sincere. I truly thank you and HP. Maybe there is a God above. Maybe not. But I swear the last man who hit with his fist in my face, I bandaged his hand. I am just a poor slob. But I want my home here to be better.

1. profile image0

I hope you'll have peace soon over the HP's matter. Take care. smile

17. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121205194059/simpsons/images/thumb/e/e9/Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg/250px-Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

95. And lazier than you....

p.s. why is anyone at all talking to a guy who thinks it is OK to talk about 12 year olds and skanks in the same sentance?

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good point. I am going to stop opening this thread.

2. profile image0

Skanks do not age discriminate.

3. Ericdierker profile image45

Yes we do. We hate children and old folks ;-)

18. wayne barrett profile image73
    wayne barrettposted 10 years ago

As someone said earlier, the hub scores are not going to go away...but the hubbers are! I know of a few very good writers that have already departed hubpages and many more who are considering it. The scores just seem to be one of many issues. My concern is that it doesn't appear to me that Hubpages cares!
    I told myself to give the site one year. I'm only seven months into it and I am already finding it very difficult to stick with my goal. If not for the friends I have made here...see ya!

1. Faith Reaper profile image82

Hi Wayne, yes, I know of many great writers who have already left sadly!  Wow, I see your score is down too.  Yes, there are many other issues as you state.  You are a great poet, and there is AllPoetry.com, I believe it is called.  Yes, I love all of my great friends here I have made over the year and a half or so.  Bless you.

1. wayne barrett profile image73
        wayne barrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Faith. I have been trying to connect with my friends on other sites...just in case. I don't see a FB connect for you but I have on Twitter. There is another site that I have joined, as have a few poets from HP, called, The Dead Poets Society. We also have a page on FB.
        I truly hope that everything works out here and would like to stay, but unless some things change, I can see the writing on the wall.

Wayne barret, you are an icon. If there is a dead poet she is proud to know your name. But you do make me/we a little sad.

A long time ago I was hunting turtles down in the glen and I stumbled upon a most beautiful red rock sitting in the stream with oak and aspen trees providing some movement shade, but still letting the light shine through. And there was a girl. I crept closer. It was my darned middle sister. she was reading a book. So I swam underwater to sneak up and scare her. Well I did. We laughed too hard and then she handed me the book and made me read. It was the "Charge of the Light Brigade" and maybe in that little Piute country it changed my life to write.
      Wayne I need you to stick with me here. Not for HP and not for Tennyson but for us.

1. profile image0

You maybe should have added the part about still being a boy when you crept up on the innocent little girl. You momentarily created a disturbing mental image.

19. profile image0

Ooh, I just noticed I had 5 hubs un-featured for lack of engagement. I wonder what made them more special from the other 70 + that no one was engaging in.

Wayne, is that Dead Poets Society just a FB thing or is it a cite?

1. wayne barrett profile image73
      wayne barrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is a site. http://undeadpoetssociety.boards.net/members
      Beth, the lack of engagement thing is another thorn that they have just started in the last couple of weeks. All I do is go in and change the book selection on the Amazon link and, "viola!" it's featured again. Ridiculous.

1. profile image0

Thanks SFM. wink

Ok Wayne, I'll see if there's not a way to improve them... they're already Mary Poppins perfect though. It's like messing with a Renoir.

20. Seafarer Mama profile image78
    Seafarer Mamaposted 10 years ago

Just thought I'd add my thoughts.

I appreciate Eric's frustration. When I see my overall Hub score falling, I feel that it's been too long since I've published content and it was about time for me to finish and publish a hub that I've been working on....so the amount of content and the rate at which a hubber publishes new material seems to be factors...but perhaps that has changed

But does seem that one's overall hub score (the one that shows up on the avatar) is not related to the amount of traffic a hub receives from Google, and some hubs that score lower than others may be making more money. I have received one payment from HP, but still need to rack up credit for a 2nd payment from HP and my first Google payment. That's okay. I'll be able to buy my grandchildren something with it. ~:0)  I still write here because I love to write and enjoy knowing that there are other fellow writers out there who appreciate my work and are very supportive of what I do.  Writers need that. I am happy to support those whom I follow as best I can.

Then there are the scores of individual hubs. I would support my fellow hub writers in not deleting low-scoring hubs. For whatever reason they score low, it is not necessarily related to the quality of writing. I do not plan to delete any of my hubs. I work hard on them and love them all. I may fail at the Buddhist concept of non-attachment...but I feel that each hub deserves to be there...and each hub has its season of touching others...then hibernates for a while...then perhaps attracts traffic again because there are people out there for whom that hub will be very important...it's cyclical.

So, the best I can do is think positive, supportive thoughts about my hubs and the hubs of my favorite HP writers, Pin them, announce them on FB...let the whole world know they are there...and hope that helps.

HP is a place to write from the heart...and those who insist on continuing to do so will keep the heart and soul of this site alive.

21. profile image0

On a personal note. I just want to ask everyone to stick with the program for a little longer. I have yet to receive my first payout and though that day may still be a couple of years out, I think we need to do what's best (for me) and keep things going until that day. Thank you, in advance. smile

I can relate to that sentiment. i'd love to keep the site going  until I receive my first Google payout, too...an d a second one from Hub Pages.

But I wish that the hub score was more controllable than it is...like it used to be. It seems like the steps that we could take to raise it no longer apply. I published a fresh hub today, which many see as useful...but my score went down. It is very discouraging, really~ but I'll keep going.

1. profile image0

So a new addendum to the rules eh? Posting new hubs on Hp's... detrimental. Got it. smile

LOL.  It's good to keep a sense of humor in upheaval, especially when we're trying to earn an income from doing something we love and the rug keeps being taken from under us.  Just noticed that my score did rise a point, back up to 90...so perhaps consistent publishing of new material still helps. Too soon to tell?  Hope you're having a good day, Beth. :0)

22. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 10 years ago

My score acts like it's on a you-yo string. When it is low I have profile and hub views. Wonder what happens when I have no views. Don't even want to thing about it. Perhaps this can make a good suspense thriller no?

Perhaps this can be an inspiration for a new supernatural suspense thriller for writers. :0)

1. profile image0

Sounds like John Grisham. "The Hubber's Score."

~:0)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)