Questions about blogging

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (43 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years ago

I just started an RV Lifestyle blog on blogger and need to know these things:

What is the best way to link between HP and the blog
    How do I set up affiliate accounts for the blog
    How do I use the "pages" on Blogger...am not sure what the deal is with them.

Thanks for your help

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Link from HP TO the blog. You get 100% of advert share and ownership on your blog. It needs traffic. HP doesn't.

Google "[Topic] affiliates" or look up sites like ShareASale or Commission Junction.

Pages are static content - they usually sit in the top menu. For instance "About", "Contact" etc. Posts are displayed chronologically.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've got a Hub about how to monetize your blog, which explains about affiliates - you'll find it on the slider on my profile

2. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 10 years ago

If you see signs that the blog is going to work well for you in the future is/was a place in settings where you buy the domain name for a year. If you do, selecting the auto-renew option makes it easier in coming years. I hope the feature is still available as I have not looked lately.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

Don't wait till then - buy it now.  If you wait, any links you get in the early stages will be wasted if you move later.  So take the plunge, find yourself a nice .com domain name which reflects your subject, and add it now.

1. 2uesday profile image66
        2uesdayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is good advice Marisa I am still learning about these things and make mistakes as I have lost an active domain name recently by not having it on an automatic renew.

I just looked for the place in settings on Blogger where you could buy a domain name easily and the buy a domain name section does not appear to be available now.

When I searched on GoDaddy to renew the domain name I had been using it came up as available but when I went back later, it was no longer available. I think that I am one of those people that are good at learning by their mistakes.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
          Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't start me on GoDaddy!  What these sites do is steal your domain names if you let them lapse and then offer them back at inflated prices.  They even steal your ideas - so if you search for a name and think I'll go back later it will now have a new price.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Any ideas about how to make a blog look better than just a listing of articles?  When I look at my blog overview page, it looks so....blaahhhh!

No, you can't buy your domain name through Blogger.  You  buy it somewhere else, then you'll find the instructions on Blogger to attach it to the blog.

https://support.google.com/blogger/trou … ts=1734115

The instructions do look a bit scary at first glance, however if you buy your domain names at a good registrar (I recommend Name.com), they will help you with setting up the records at their end.

You can buy your domain name through Blogger. Or you could. They do it through GoDaddy but it goes straight onto your blog domain.

I wouldn't recommend it though, a headache to use as it's not a proper domain account.

They've got rid of that service, you can't buy a domain through Blogger now.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Would somebody explain to me, dumb as I am, what the importance of a domain name is?

A domain name is like "timetraveler.com". You can't build a website without one (unless you use free blogging sites like timetraveler.blogspot.com)

I personally use Namecheap

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Where do you buy a domain name?  I see Google sells them...is this a good bet or is there something better or does it even matter?

4. Silva Hayes profile image77
        Silva Hayesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good advice.  I have a blog, MosaicRoad.blogspot.com, that is attracting more and more traffic.  I decided recently to buy the domain name and have my own website.  Well, someone bought up that name and was just sitting there waiting for me to buy it - for $1,595 . . . instead of the $10 I could have bought it for back when I started the blog.

Silva Hayes:  Did you buy it from Google?

1. Silva Hayes profile image77

No, I didn't buy it.  I looked up the owner; it's PageCheap.com in Denver and they listed it for sale for $1,595.  How could I buy it from Google?  Would love to own it but can't afford it at that price.  Tell me more, please.

Silva Hayes:  I misspoke  What I meant to say was could you have purchased it from Google or would have been another seller?  I need to buy a domain name but want to make sure I get it from the right place, unless doing so does not matter.

1. Silva Hayes profile image77

If it had been available (floating around out there not owned by anyone) I could have bought it from Google or GoDaddy or any number of others.  I didn't know until now that one could buy domains from Google (thanks!).  I wish I had bought it when it was available for ten bucks!  Now, what about after you buy a domain name, who hosts it?  How do you determine that?  You would look at costs and quality of service, ease of use, all kinds of factors.  We had two web sites in the past (about 6 years ago) and it was quite an administrative task to keep them running.  Don't know what it's like now.

You can't buy them through Google any longer.   

What TimeTraveller is planning is simply to attach the domain name to a free Blogger blog, so there are no other costs involved.   That's certainly the cheapest option but it's not as powerful as using Wordpress on our own (paid) hosting, and if you're going to write about contentious subjects, there's always the risk that Blogger could close your blog down.

Yep! I've heard they're cracking down on adult content, wonder what's next.

It really doesn't matter where you get it from, but as Silva found out, some of them get up to nasty tricks. 

Domain names are not all priced the same.   Registrars can charge extra for "premium" names.  So one trick is this: say you search for a particular word or phrase on GoDaddy (or one of the other sharks), and you find a good name, but you don't buy immediately.  When you go back to buy, you'll find it has mysteriously doubled or tripled in price. Basically, once they know you're keen on a name, they figure you'll be willing to pay whatever they ask. 

You can save a few dollars by buying your domain names at GoDaddy but I can't be bothered with (a) those silly games and (b) the fact that they then bombard you with marketing and upselling. 

You can buy any name from any registrar.   Personally I like Name.com.  They're not the cheapest, but you won't have to play silly games and they have generous support (something you won't always get from the cut-price operators).

Oooh I'll have to check them out. I use Namecheap and I find that they work out cheaper in the end - half their "addons" are free or cheap, where as GoDaddy charges for cheap domains then grabs your wallet for things like WhoIs Guard.

I used E.nom which I was referred to by Google.  The name costs me $47.99 per year but it is a private domain, protected from spam and keeps people from knowing my identity.  I can renew it every year for ten years for the same price and they have 24/7 customer service plus up to 10 private email addresses if needed.  I thought that was a pretty good deal...and they don't try to sell me add ons or play any games.  I'm happy.

Marissa and Wry  I just called ENom and they do not have a cancellation policy.  They may (or may not) refund the privacy and email portion (either $10 or $20), but I am stuck for the rest.  They say I can move the name after 60 days, but there will probably be a transfer fee from the other company as well as a new charge for a domain name.  So, they get to keep $30 or $40 for nothing, and I have the choice of staying with them for a year and then cancelling and possibly losing my domain name, starting a new blog with a different name and moving my article over to it or transferring the domain name in 60 days and possibly paying more for the same domain name.  Please advise me about this asap...I had no idea that there would be problems like this, and I am afraid to add articles and increase reads and the domain name price, etc. etc.  What a mess!

I've replied to you direct on this, as you know.

If you decide to stick with ENom till the end of this year, you can transfer your name elsewhere then.  Arrange the transfer of the domain name a month or so before it expires, THEN cancel your ENom account after it's been transferred successfully.  That way, there will be zero risk of losing your domain name.

You will find most other registrars will charge you between $8 and $15 to transfer your domain, but that will INCLUDE  the cost of the domain name for a further year (if it doesn't, go somewhere else).

2. Writer Fox profile image32
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So, go buy 'TheMosaicRoad.com' for $10 from GoDaddy. But, don't even check to see if that is available unless you have your credit card in hand and are ready to purchase or it probably won't be available when you check again.

Or go with a reputable site that won't possibly steal your site, or charge you huge fees for any addons.

WryLilt:  Is there a way to add Pinterest to blogger blogs?  I don't see anything on the site about this, even though they have links to FB and twitter.

You mean the "Pin" button? People can do it straight from their toolbar, but you can easily put it on a site with code.

http://www.codeitpretty.com/2013/03/the … s-for.html

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Marisa:  I called Google last night to see about buying a domain and they said they do not sell them without emails.  They referred me to a site called ENom.  It was more expensive to buy one there, BUT, I think it was worth it because I also got 10 emails AND a private domain name that protects my personal information.  I got them to agree to a 10 year annual renewal at no price increase and on top of that they gave me a little discount.  They also have 24/7 tech help.  The price before discount was $50 for a year...I know that may seem high, but to me it was worth it, especially after they explained about what happens when you buy a $10 domain.  I'll be 80 at the end of ten years if I live that long, and if the site works out, I won't care if a renewal costs more at that time.  You guys all have been wonderfully helpful here.  By the way, (and I won't do a link here, just the title) the blog is called www.  rv  learning  spot  .com  (rvlearningspot...all one word).

$50 for a year is a disgraceful rip-off!!!!!   A domain name costs LESS than $10 for a year, no matter where you buy it.  Anyone who's charging more than that is a con artist.

I'd love to know what they said "happens when you buy a $10 domain". 

I think you have purchased a hosted domain by mistake - and if that's the case, you've got a bargain.   What that means is you don't need to use Blogger at all - instead, you will build your site on eNom's servers.  As I known you're not keen on technical stuff, I can't imagine you'd be keen to get into the mechanics of setting that up.

If you use the eNom domain name with Blogger, then you're just wasting around $40 each year, because you won't be able to use any of  the extra features they've offered you (like the emails).   

Reading eNom's website, they seem to be more in the business of recruiting people to resell their domains, than selling them direct to individuals   Reading this review seems to confirm that:
          http://community.spiceworks.com/product/5172-enom

Google are not experts on domain names or hosting, so don't think that just because some guy at Google recommended this company, that means it's good.

Agree with Marisa. Sounds like you've been ripped off.

I use Namecheap and they charge around $10-12/year for a domain name. They give you domain privacy for free the first year then something like $2/year after that.

You do NOT need to pay for anything other than a domain and privacy (and that's optional).

They have heaps of addons, none of which you need. Emails come with your hosting anyway, as do most other things.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
              Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I got my domain name from Name.com, and it was only around $10.00. I already have it set up to renew when the year is up. I had other issues because my blog is on Weebly.com, the ads were showing up as white lines when the blog was in live mode. They offered me their Pro service for free for a year, to be fair, but although I like having my own blog, I think they will charge me $99.00 for another year of Pro when it expires. I don't know what I will do then, I haven't made much money on the blog. But Name.com was easy to work with.

Well, too late now.  The deal is done.  I don't have to renew after year one, however, so if someone else will let me keep my domain name, I may move.  If not, I'll stay. $50 won't break my bank.  Also, if I decide to add a second blog, I can use the ones you guys mentioned.  I asked people about this for 4 days, and when nobody really responded, I decided to do it on my own.  Needed to get things going.  Oh well!

3. Barbara Kay profile image75
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

A mistake I made years ago was not buying a domain name. I had the website and it had the host name on it for about 7 years. It was a free site with the hosts ads on it.

When I added Adsense to the site, I decided to purchase a domain name. All my old links weren't counted anymore. I was placing on the first page of Google and got knocked down to page 10. I've never recovered fully and the new domain name was added in 2009. That was a big mistake.

4. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 10 years ago

I used to have my blog on a free Weebly site and then I bought a proper domain for it and it is hosted on Weebly. I am very satisfied with it. I can post my own work there and not worry about editorial content as I control it all. I control the advertising and admin. I love blogging and it is earning me revenue in the half year it has been online.

Every writer should have her (or his) own blog or website. No one can promote you better than you.

5. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 10 years ago

And you can have a max of 6 pages or so but of course unlimited posts. So, you'd need to decide what would work best as pages and what would be better off as posts.

lobobrandon:  I'm hosted by Google and saw nothing about limits on anything.  I can't figure out what the "pages" are for or how they work.  Can you explain it to me?  thanks.

I'm not aware of any limits on pages either.   He may be thinking about navigation being a problem with too many pages, because some people use "tabs" along the top of the blog to display pages, and you can't fit too many along that row. 

You can see page links on this blog, under the header picture and above the text:

http://howtwolive.blogspot.com.au/

However, you can also put a list of pages in your sidebar, in which case you can have as many pages as you like. 

Pages are useful.   Use them for anything you want to keep separate from your flow of posts.  So for instance, you might want an "about this site" page, or you might want to have a page of recommended products, or you might want a "hints and tips" page.   

While I've got you, please,please,please ring up eNom and cancel.  I've been doing some Googling and they're not to be trusted.

Marissa:  I think it's too late to cancel now.  Guess I'm stuck.  It's been a week since I saw this info from you guys.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@Marisa & Time traveller

Back when I created blogs it was 6 pages at the max. I still have one, but never bothered to check as I thought 6 was the limit. Seems like the lifted it up to 20 around a year ago.

Check this: http://productforums.google.com/forum/# … g46llZVbaQ

3. Silva Hayes profile image77

TIMETRAVELER2, about the Pages feature.  My blog is about mosaic art and I use the Pages feature for articles I have written that give instructions or other information.  My sporadic posts could be about anything; I try to keep to the subject of Mosaics, but I might post one about vacation or that it's raining, or whatever I want to say, but my Pages don't change (unless they need to be updated).  For example, I have a "Page" entitled "Materials and Methods," and another one is entitled "My Hubpage Articles - a Link."  Another one is entitled "Mosaic Guitars."  On that page, I have pictures of a few that I've done.  So if a visitor wanted to see only my guitars, they could click on that page, instead of searching the entire blog.  Hope this helps; guess you could use the Pages feature however you want to.  For example, you could have a blog about gardening.  Your daily or weekly posts would just be about what you're up to that day.  But over on the right, you could have a "Pages" section where you talk about Green Beans and Okra and Tomatoes.  Really, I guess you don't have to use the Pages feature at all unless you see that it's useful to you or to your visitors.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)