Do teenagers today know how to do anything without technology?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (24 posts)
  1. moneyfairy profile image60
    moneyfairyposted 10 years ago

For instance if you took a t.v. and a computer and cell phone away from a teenager for just a weekend could they figure out what to do with themselves or would they just sit and mope all weekend?
    Do they for instance want to go on hikes or fishing or read a book or play a card game etc.? or are they desperately connected to twitter and facebook etc...?
    I just wonder if they'll ever learn how to communicate without technology.
    Look forward to hearing your opinion on this subject.

moneyfairyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well this is interesting ? no response? I guess all of you think teenagers are great communicators without technology. Wow!

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I guess we saw typical inter-generational griping and were not interested. 

Maybe you need to hang out with better teenagers. 

The ones in my family are a champion swimmer, a gal who loves to camp and hunt, a developing artist, and a dedicated skateboarder.  They use technology but no more than I do as a middle-aged fogey.  In fact probably less.

As for using a phone at the mall. Guilty.  I do look up during transactions though.

Well at least you look up at the person serving you so that's something smile. Glad to hear you have some wonderful artistic teens around you. Good to know they exist. Thanks!

2. Silverspeeder profile image60
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let me just check if I have an app on my IPhone to help me answer your question!

Many will say its the evolution of humans, some will say its because of the ease that these items are available, I say well done Apple, Microsoft, HP and all the others producing the goods to keep the kids off the streets. (sarcasm)

Silverspeeder: Thanks for your humor /sarcasm smile

3. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are plenty of teenagers who aptly know how to entertain themselves without technology. They read and indulge in other hobbies. They also talk and communicate with their friends face to face.  Hell, I know plenty of adult people who cannot adequately function without the use of iphones, cellphones, computers, and other gadgets.

For example, I was watching a program on my computer.  The computer want BLANK.  I  tried to revamp the computer; however, it was a total no go.  Yes, the computer was dead.  That was my ONLY computer at the time.  I was totally beside myself.  So I had the computer repaired and renewed; I was not about to throw away a computer.   That process took about a week.  So in the interim, I ordered three more computers.  All in all, I have FOUR computers, in case one of them goes awry, there will ALWAYS be a backup.  I am a LONG, LONG, LONG way from being a teenager.  Once you go techno, you NEVER go back! NEVER, EVER EVER!

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is possible that some younger people do not like to use the computer so much. I just ran into someone the other day who said he has ADD and computer use is hard for his eyes and brain. (- actually, I have a feeling he was putting me on as he was using his computer just fine as a checker at Pet Co / urging me to go to my gmail account to do whatever it was he said I need to do to check my points and receive my rewards. How I miss the 70's.

2. moneyfairy profile image60

gmwilliams: I guess I have never gotten hooked on technology as I am too busy trying to work and make a living. Glad you can make your living online. I just can't sit for hours at a time in front of a screen, I like human contact and interaction much better. I like recieving hand written letters instead of e-mails and I like physically talking to someone in person not on a screen. There is just something missing in technological communication. I guess it's the human factor. i'm just an old fart I guess LOL LOL. Glad you  love technology.....enjoy!!!

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

...why would they join us here?  it takes writing skills (minimal, I admit)  to be here on HP! They are playing their virtual games right now, donning pseudo characters and having virtual experiences and virtual challenges. They are far off in lands we never had or knew.
    Thank goodness.

Kathryn I never said anything about them joining us here on HP?? I wonder where you got that from? I just bought up a generalized question about teenagers being too attached to technology and that most of them have difficulty relating to others in a normal non-technological way and was just curious of others opinions that's all.

I guess I thought you wanted them to respond. I wish they would. There are many advantages and disadvantages to technology. The major disadvantage is that we loose concrete skills. We need to maintain our concrete skills. By consciously practicing and maintaining concrete skills (such as handwriting, spelling, drawing/painting, basic arithmetic, book/periodical reading, research skills, etc.) we can live safely with technology.

2. Shanna11 profile image76
      Shanna11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep. All I'm doing right now is binge watching The Office, playing The Sims and eating flamin' hot cheetos.

Oh, and I'm texting my buds and dictating this message to my laptop because I have no idea how to spell or write or anything like that.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Shanna11, this is a gross generalization of the younger generation(Milennial). Yes, your generation is more technologically savvy than mine(Boomer) but that savvy and knowledge DOES NOT preclude intellectual and academic knowledge.  One has nothing to do with the other.  Many young Milennials know how to do PLENTY without the aid of technology.  Shanna11, sadly many of us Boomers have forgotten what it is like to be young and were criticized by the older generations because we lived in a society that was different from theirs. HOW WE FORGET!
        http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8309079_f248.jpg
        http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8309083_f248.jpg

Shanna11, in the Boomers' youth, the older generation(the World War II generation) maintained that we were a bunch of  bell bottom wearing, marijuana smoking radicals who "did not know the value of morality, ethics, and hard work".   The World War II generation said to us Boomers what we are NOW saying to the Milennial generation (yours).   Yes, history yet continue to repeat itself!

1. Shanna11 profile image76
          Shanna11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Seriously. I think sometimes older generations forget that they're the ones who raised us!

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's a good point. I work with kids everyday from teens to 20's and I can tell you, other than the obvious stuff... they're just miniature versions of their parents... all the good and all the bad.

3. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is so much stupid in this post that it's almost impossible to believe that a human being produced it.

Are you trying to act superior because you lack understanding regarding a widely-popular form of storytelling medium? Are you trying to say that you have to be an illiterate to enjoy something visual and interactive? Are you trying to justify your lack of knowledge of modern technology by labeling all those who take part in it as inferior?

Because that's pretty damn reprehensible.

Zelkiiro: No I am not trying to be superior. I am not saying teens are illiterate or not intelligent. I am saying that I have noticed at the airports and shopping centers and at coffee shops etc..teens just sitting thier texting and with ear pieces etc...even when ordering coffee etc.. totally ignoring the person behind the counter who is trying to serve them. It's just rude. So I was just asking generally if others were annoyed by these rude actions. When you are speaking to another human being shut your damn phone off and pay attention to what you are doing in the moment and treat other human beings with some respect. It seems as if thier electronic devices are an appendage that they can't live without, just wondering if anyone else noticed or was bothered by that.  And some said above about parents having something to do with it too and that's true I guess if they didn't buy thier child a cell phone or iphone or whatever they wouldn't have a problem. But I know that some parents think it is a good idea to keep in contact with thier child 24/7. So in that aspect for saftey and for emegencies it is a good thing but to be totally addicted to it is not really healthy. So I am just wondering if they could live without thier cell phones or internet access for even just a weekend without going into withdrawls. I know some adults even who couldn't so in that aspect it's not just teens.

They also don't mind if their kid is quiet... ah, so quiet.  Now I can get back (to sleep?) in my little life...
          However, it its terrible to put THEM to sleep
          through this potentially insidious technology.
          And indeed, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."
          Maybe parents should apply this phrase to their child the next time they hand over their technological mind-vacuuming device.
          Don't pretend it will make your child intellectually advantaged
          Maybe it will on some level.... But not on truly vital levels...
          as, moneyfairy has clearly explained... in dealing with real life.

Thanks for letting me chime in.

Thank you Kathryn for understanding what I am trying to get across.
            Some understand communication without technology and others simply don't have a clue or are just too lazy to try normal communication. And you are very right when you say "a mind is a terrible thing to waste". So very true.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
              psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Technology is also a form of communication.  A very rich one.  So maybe people who do not use that modality much should respect those who do--especially when raising the issue on an online forum which by your argument none of us should be on?

Yes technology is a mechanical way of communication but I am discussing the human communication factor which is highly lacking these days and it's just sad that's all. I'm not against technology for learning and writing articles etc...but to constantly be on facebook and twitter and breaking up with someone on line etc...it's just a cold mechanical way of communicating that's all I'm saying.

...witness children shoved in front of monitors in every inconvenient situation. Cars, restaurants, even in strollers!
                  luckily not in classrooms...too much. Yay teachers!  I hope they can keep it that way!

Yeah teachers is right!!!! Thanks Kathryn. I found it interesting that even on the news they talked about people in general not being aware of their surroundings when crossing the street or walking on the side walk....that they are so entrenched with their I phones etc...that they don't even care if they get hit???It's just craziness. Just like driving and texting or being on the cell phone....does human life not matter anymore....is technology so damn important that it's worth a life???

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)