RACISM OF RELIGION

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (64 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

How responsible is religion and the bible for slavery of the past? The bible constantly preaches about slavery as if it is ok along with seperations of race, religion. Why does religion and the bible not get more blame for slavery of the past?

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why doesn't the bible get held responsible for anything?  People believe it is the word of God.  Although, it states that man will never know the will of God.  The bible is a political text created as a law book for our culture.  It is brilliantly written.  Full of loopholes and backtracking.  It has been edited and re-edited.  Translated and re-translated.  If a person relies on the bible for his/her relationship with God, he/she will be very disappointed in the long run. Please pardon all the sentence fragments.

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would agree that it is brilliantly written to the "follower" mind, however truth is found through debate in the "individual" mind.

Hallelujah, my brother.

Amen! lol

2. profile image0
        ellie1142545posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This Book...Each word in it...Came from God's Lips, to Scripter's Ear.....

King James commanded that the "Apocrypha" be left out for political reasons.  If a person is not catholic, he/she does not accept the apocrypha.  The bible has been translated and edited hundreds of times.  You are not reading the original "book", which wasn't a book anyway, but a collection of scrolls located at different times.  Could anything have been lost in translation? New text has been found to indicate a Gospel of Judas.  You won't find that in the bible any time soon.

1. profile image0

Oops!!  I should have said Bible....It might interest you to know, that though I'm not Catholic, I do own a Catholic Bible....Given to me by my Mother, and no she's not Catholic either....I've read it through, and right now, it's in my Son's posession....I've read, King James, American Standard, New King James, The Living Bible, English Version For Modern Man, and New International Version...My favorite is King James....And The Catholic Bible?  Also King James....The Bible is as a book, with many Books within it...And in the beginning, you are right, they were/are scrolls...And again I say, that each word written....Came from God's Lips, to the Scripter's ear....Sorry for my error....

I appreciate your stance in this quasi-debate, and thank you for your input.  I hope no one has offended you.  I, personally, would not put your beliefs on trial, so thank you for your participation in our discussion.

1. profile image0

Your very welcome :-)

2. marinealways24 profile image59

How do you know God has lips, have you seen him/her/it?

3. chukra G profile image61
        chukra Gposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i dont know about bible, but the last 3 sentences message is 100% truth, you cant rely on a priest to meet god smile you wont go anywhere

2. My Inner Jew profile image61
      My Inner Jewposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NOt that slavery is ok, but slavery was different, and in the New Testament Paul says it is wrong.  Slavery for the Jews was much different than more modern slavery.  Though they worked for nothing they were treated slightly better.  Doesn't mean it wasn't write, but I don't know why it was allowed...not a question for me

Thanks. Why is it not a question for you?

Should we not question everything and everyone?

1. My Inner Jew profile image61

Its not an a question for me to answer because I have no idea why it was ok in Old Testament times to have slaves.  I am not that ancient smile

The authors of the bible had slaves for the same reasons our forefathers did.  They were elitist snobs without a sense of humility.  Why would anyone want to follow a book written by someone who claimed God spoke to him.  Our forefathers wrote of freedom and owned slaves and didn't allow women to vote.  It is about the power of the elite, and... I almost got this thread shut down... I am holding my tongue.

Yes, no flags. lol

3. onthewriteside profile image60
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure that if the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God actually existed, and was the sort of dude they would have you believe he is, he would be appalled by such behavior.  But since the Babble was written by men in a time when such things as slavery and racism were acceptable practices, the book includes them as common place, and considers them no big deal.  If the Babble had been written today, I'm quite certain it wouldn't include any such unacceptable practices because the authors would look like hate-mongers.

4. profile image0

Actually the seperations of race as you state, in the beginning, was not actually from skin color, or culture, it had to do with their beliefs....

The seperation of race, didn't come until the tower of Bable...Until then, everyone spoke the same language, and were building a tower to heaven...God sent down differant languages to confuse them, so that they couldn't understand what other's were saying.  At that time, they scattered, and the Tower was left unfinished....The color of skin did not become a factor, until The Song Of Song (Soloman)...

To make things clear, this is not an assault on the religious. If you are content and happy with your religion, so be it. I am simply giving credit where credit is due. If you want to credit the bible with so many good deeds, it is ignorant to not recognize the bad deeds as well.

3. marinealways24 profile image59

Then again, the prophets wouldn't have had so many followers without using fear and irrational statements.

4. My Inner Jew profile image61
    My Inner Jewposted 14 years ago

You know now that i started to think about it this what makes sense:  The Jews were required to conquer nations that had a personal vendetta against them, but not only conquer completely kill anyone.  Sometimes in conquering a nation they would take slaves instead.  Well, this would be for safety measures I am sure because keep your friends closer and your enemies closer. 

Well they were required to release their slaves hmmm...it is either every 7 years or 50 years...haha can't remember that one!

1. onthewriteside profile image60

The 7 year thing was more like Indentured Servitude, and Jews practiced this even among themselves.  Slavery of people from other nations had no time limit, necessarily.

Is this logical to you as an act of a divine being?

Which part the killing or the slavery?

lol both

lol So to be preventive, they should have just killed all of them?

5. marinealways24 profile image59

Maybe this is why the talk so much of "forgiveness" in the bible. Because they went against their conscious and felt horribly guilty for their leadership in misbelief, slavery, killing, judgement.

If someone were to live by their conscious and think responsible for their own actions in life, they wouldn't need to rely on so much forgiveness. Forgiveness is an "out" for living a regretfull life.

6. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

This is a perfect example of why humans should not pretend to know the will of God.  Megalomaniacs use this to promote their own agendas.  How many leaders have stated that they are messengers of a higher power, and then created catastrophes?

There is a quack in everything.  If you go to a quack doctor who messes up your surgery does that mean all doctors are likely to mess up your surgery?  Not necessarily.  There are prophets and then there are people who think they are prophets and it causes problems, yes.

If the doctor says that God told him he was to perform the surgery, and I bought it and employed him because of this statement, it would be a good comparison to SOME of the world leaders.  I don't think any good would come from a leader who uses God to rationalize wrong doing.

lol like a tv evangalist...hahaha that stuff is crazy

Exactly.  smile

2. onthewriteside profile image60

Yea!  Sned me money!  God needs your cash!  He told me so!  lol

"God told me if I couldn't raise 8 million dollars, he would take me home." wink

He told me I need a private jet to spread his disease...ur...I mean word!

I love this one...

But I only have a 100 dollars left, can't you do a miracle for free?

LOL!  Well at least you have $100!  When Oblahblah gets finished we will have change all right....pocket change!

all i can say is uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2. onthewriteside profile image60

If I heard a doctor or anyone else for that matter saying they were doing something because "God told them to", I would be running for the hills!  Usually the answer "because God told me to" is in response to questions like:  "Why did you kill all those people?"  or "Why did you blow up that abortion clinic?" or "Why did you poison your entire family?".  Clearly people that claim to have conversations with their deity are not very stable...certainly not people I would want around me anyway.

This is the "very" reason it would not be logical for a divine being to speak to a "prophet". A higher being in my logic would not show favoritism when knowing the prophet would not be believed on most occasions.

It wouldn't be favoritism, honestly he could speak to anyone, but it is would you believe it?  Imagine Moses do you think he wanted to run down a hill after seeing a burning bush and say "hey dude!  You will never believe what I just saw!  A freaking burning bush!  And you know what else it was talking to me!  It told me to go to Egypt and say 'Let my people go!'" Even Moses thought he was crazy and kept telling "the burning bush" that it was craziness...but he eventually went and did as he was told and the people of Israel were released.

Is this logical to you?

If someone knocked on your door saying they were the prophet of God and spoke to God through a burning bush, would you follow him?

I don't believe that, if God did exist, he would dictate that I follow anyone.  Following tends to be a trend.  Why does God never say, "Hey you... you're good. Keep doin' what you're doing?"  Must we alway prostrate ourselves.  That crap really musses up the slacks.

7. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I am a slave to my employer and at least the Biblical slaves had benefits!! unlike today.

1. profile image0
      annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are the king of posting in the forums today for this post.  This is sooo true.  Employers can work ya to the max not realizing that people are doing things behind their backs and losing sales due to their innability to find someone who can run the business right. 

I have had so many employers who work ya too hard.  I had to rush out an order one day and I told another worker I would dare they say anything cuz that order came back incorrect.  Later they were saying that they were not going to rush out any more orders.  That was the first smart move I had seen in years.  Most would have just yelled at me, but they realized it I guess....amazing

1. Make  Money profile image66
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.  Kudos Eaglekiwi.  We don't get whipped if we screw up now, we just get fired.

8. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Isnt it strange how when armies fight for their country ,both sides believe they are doing it for the right reasons?

All war and fighting does is prove who is left ,not who was right.

sorry didnt mean to get off topic.

Yes and I believe most wars are fought in difference of religious belief on a lot of occasions.

It's amazing to me how long we have been on the earth and still continue fight over difference in belief. A man or woman will strap on an explosive vest, yell "praise allah", run into a building killing hundreds of innocents. The bad thing is, their religious belief has the follower thinking their suicide is a tribute to their belief of religion. They think they are completely justified as an act to their religion.

9. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

I think the bible is not to blame, but was letting us know some things.  It lets us know things that have happened and lots of times things happen again.  It is there to let us know these things, not to blame for what has happened.

It should be to blame in my belief. It praised religious leaders and prophets for inhuman acts. These men should not be praised or looked up to as role models. I wouldn't want my kid thinking he was favored over another because of his belief.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yayyy Annvans ,thanks for acknowleding my post smile..felt quite invisible til then.
      You have a wonderful day. :)an go 'get 'em re work

10. marinealways24 profile image59

I believe the bible is to blame for most wars. If not, why are there so many religious wars? The bible favors one people and belief over the other. Favoritism is a creation of man and society, nothing divine.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Cant be Gods fault ,since how can both side be right? ( both sides are saying God said..etc)

Its mans fault and they like to put the blame or reason anywhere but themselves!

I acknowledge that it is mans fault. Man shows favoritism. Man wrote the bible. Man starts wars. Man kills man.

Man wrote the scrolls, which were translated by another man, and edited by another man.... and so on.  So, even if God himself had dictated it, you still can't trust our "Bible" as the word of God.  Nuances are lost in translation with just one translation.  It is crazy to believe you are reading the dictated word of God.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75

True.
            But can we sense the spirit ie tone of the book?

If we had to do a book review ,Id be inclined to see The Bible as as "Personal Growth, Instructional Book" (with benefits) smile

I believe this only works by picking and choosing the good parts to believe. When I read the bible, I see the good and the bad.

Excellent point

2. Make  Money profile image66
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Right again. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)