People Who Have Editor's Choice Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

In reading the forum post from two years ago when all Hub URLs were changed to Subdomains, many people reported that copied Hubs began to outrank theirs when the change was made.  I think this might happen again and we have five forum threads going right now about copied content. Be sure to do all you can to have the plagiarism removed or your new Hub URLs could suffer in their rankings on search results.  Three of the sites have copied almost everything on HubPages and are not responding to DMCA notices. 

Find your stolen content on these threads:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115415
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115428
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115339
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115356
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115453

1. HollieT profile image81
      HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In reading the forum post from two years ago when all Hub URLs were changed to Subdomains, many people reported that copied Hubs began to outrank theirs when the change was made.

Yes, but wasn't that also around the time (and just prior) that Google started to sandbox accounts? Perhaps you can enlighten me, but I can't remember Google sandboxing accounts before the farmers update. And to the best of my knowledge, scraped hubs usually only outrank the originals when the originals have been sandboxed. Or is that not the case?

Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Google sandboxed accounts before and after the time HubPages changed to Subdomains.  Here is the forum post Paul E. made two years ago describing how much traffic improved when a Hub was on a Subdomain rather than on the main HubPages URL:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/78912

It's more than a dozen pages, but if you read all the way through you will find Hubbers reported that some of their high-ranking Hubs were outranked by copied sites when the URL was changed.  The new URL, you see, appears as the copy because it was just created.

I think it is a matter of concern especially since the whole HubPages site has been copied and I think only a 'Cease and Desist' letter from Paul E. can take the sites down.  I've done all I can.  I've located and posted the owners of the sites and their street addresses and the physical address in San Francisco of the one with a proxy host.

2. Judi Bee profile image89
        Judi Beeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hollie, these latest few scraper sites are outranking a number of hubs, including Paul E's - he wrote a hub about it recently.  Don't know if we are all sandboxed though - I didn't think I was, but who knows!

http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com/hub/T … ng-Scraped

1. HollieT profile image81

Judi, I know, the dreaded rank08 site scraped all my content  Arrgg!!! [insert profanities here]. But I was under the impression, and Paul E mentions this too, that if you've been penalised by pandas and so forth, your sub is pushed so far down the SERPs that the scrapers can outrank you. (with your own bloody content, which is so annoying)

I'm not just aware of anyone whose sub has not been penalised, or was otherwise doing well, that has been outranked by the scrapers. I'm not saying that this isn't the case, just the impression that I was under.

2. Shadow Jackson profile image65
    Shadow Jacksonposted 10 years ago

That's disturbing. How do we save our content?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

I agree with Writer Fox - we need for Paul to intervene.  One of the options on the DMCA form is to indicate you represent the owner/author of the content.  Our hubs are being shifted around in ways we cannot control (I am not complaining - only pointing this out).  With urls changing, we cannot even file a DMCA with any reliability - as hubs are phased into the EC program, the url can change on us. And Google doesn't devote much time to investigating 'confusion' in complaints.

It seems it would be far more effective for the site to complain that the entire site (or most of it, or even a sizable portion) has been scraped rather than dozens of Hubbers having to do this individually - over and over and over. 

Please consider doing this, Paul - we are really (really) tired of messing with scrapers - we would rather devote our time to writing and promoting our hubs.  When scrapers hit us, it discourages us from writing more content.  The site can, and should (IMO) step in in cases of massive content theft.

2. suzettenaples profile image87
      suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

I have to agree with Marcy, here.  When entire hub pages (topic pages) it is time for the CEO (Paul) to step in and put a stop to this scrapping.  This is not just a few Hubbers being plagiarized but the entire hub web site.  I don't understand why the hubpages administrators would've want to put a stop to this because they are loosing money as well, just not individual Hubbers.  Who else will want to join this writing community if they know they will be plagarized?  This whole situation doesn't make any sense to me.  I know it is not a perfect world, but it is time for the HP site administrators to take a stand on this.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Outside of hiring a lawyer and filing a lawsuit in Pakistan, China or wherever (which you could also do) I can't think of a single thing HP can do that you can't.

True, the name of HP should carry more weight than yours, but a thief doesn't care whose name is on that DMCA.  The last set of claims I filed was through some scammy host, and they didn't care either, being as much a thief as the site owner.

On the other hand, 50 hubbers filing 500 DMCA's just might get some attention.  Throw in a bunch of complaints to Adsense, Amazon or other monetization methods and so far, things have happened.

Time consuming?  Sure, but it's a part of writing on the web.  Either protect your work from thieves, just like everyone else does, or go downhill from the illegal competition.  Or let other hubbers do the work for you - that seems a popular option sometimes.

When the content theft involves stealing the entire site, it affects traffic.  Certainly, not all 99,277 Hubbers check for plagiarized Hubs.  Many are not aware that it's a problem let alone what to do about it.

HubPages could send a 'Cease and Desist Letter' to the owner of rank08.com at the address I located in Illinois.

Here's a template:
          http://thompsonhall.com/cease-desist-le … #copyright

I think even a slow typist could produce that letter by filling in the blanks in about 10 minutes.

Cost of a process server in Illinois: online costs advertised are less than $100.  These services deliver a copy of the letter in person and sign-off that it was 'handed to' or 'dropped at the feet of' the actual person addressed in the letter.

If it's not worth $100 and ten minutes of time for HubPages Corp. to increase traffic to Hubs and increase corporate earnings, what else can be said?

3. Victoria Lynn profile image87
      Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

It's exhausting. I didn't even file DMCAs the last time I heard about the scraping. I'm tired of it.

4. Jenn-Anne profile image74
      Jenn-Anneposted 10 years ago

We had this same issue a few months back - a scraper had copied essentially the entire hubpages site onto a series of websites and continued to add new hubs as fast as they were published. Many of us argued that copying on such a huge scale should warrant intervention from Hubpages staffers but we were repeatedly told no. Hoping this time things will be different. In the meantime, keep posting on this thread and encourage as many people as possible to file DCMAs.

5. Doodlehead profile image48
      Doodleheadposted 10 years ago

Jenn-Anne--

Possible this is $$ related.  Is it possible that having copied information could help HP ranking?   I don't know.  Just think'in.

6. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I well remember the whole Panda scenario, but copied content did not become an issue for me until 3 weeks after my hub account moved to a  subdomain.

Not only did my traffic fall by a massive 90%, but scraped content appeared at the top of the SERPS for exact hub titles, while mine were nowhere to be seen, or on page 10 or something.

I believe my account was sandboxed.

This happened 2 years ago and I have never recovered, but lots of other hubbers have suffered the same fate AND recovered since, without making changes.

I made many changes, and possibly just succeeded in making things worse for myself.

As for filing DMCA's, I never bothered writing nicely to people. Just file a report directly with Google and they will drop the copied content from the index. Job done!

It's my content. I do not expect Hubpages to do this for me.

7. phdast7 profile image82
      phdast7posted 10 years ago

Thanks for all the commentary and infor mation, Writer Fox.   We, Hubbers, do need Paul Edmundson, HP CEO, to step in and do something.   This affects the corporate HP bottom line and earnings even more than it affects ours.   We would like to hear from HP management that they are getting involved in this situation.

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
        galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's not likely to happen. My personal opinion is that HP is profiting from the Google ads on all those copies so  it's to their benefit to allow the scrapers to take all they want. Maybe they're not really scrapers after all!
        By the way- any Editors Choice or  Hubs of the Day been copied???? good question.

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How can HP possibly profit from someone stealing content here? No-one steal the ads too!

2. Jenn-Anne profile image74
          Jenn-Anneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The person who benefits from scraped content is the scraper. That's why they do it - to post our content as their own, place ads on it and benefit from our hard work. HP loses as much as we do when content is stolen.

3. Cardisa profile image86
          Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Both my editor's choice and hub of the day have been copied. I just filed dozens of DCMA reports today. How would HP benefit from our content being stolen????

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Here's a question for you guys:  I started here 19 months ago.  I am not sure, but I think at that time HP was already putting our work on sub domains.  Am I correct?  If I am, then the only people who have really had problems are those who were writing under the HP umbrella.  I don't know of any of my articles being stolen, and the few times I have looked I have not found any...but this does not mean it has not happened.  Just wondering what my personal risk is here.  Anybody?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Your personal risk of having work stolen is just the same as everyone else.

The easiest way to check for plagiarism , while using Google Chrome, is to highlight a section of text, right click, and choose 'search in Google'.

Even better if you then edit the search text by putting quotes around it. That way, the search will only include exact results.

+1

I started on HP after subdomains were the norm.  Every Hub I have published on this site has been stolen at least once.

2. HollieT profile image81

Check out rank 08, they scraped us all.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Not the first, nor the last.

Some people know good content when they find it!

The problem of scraped content only arises when the copiers out-rank the originals.

Over to Google.

It has been my experience and the experience of others I work for that a duplicate on the Internet can take both the original and the copy out of rankings.  A plagiarized webpage can hurt your rankings even if it is not outranking yours at a given moment.  The more copies a page on the Internet that do not link back to the original source (as in syndicated content), the more your content looks like "ordinary information" instead of original thought.

1. IzzyM profile image87

If what you are saying is true, what is the point in writing new hubs? Google cannot determine who published first - Google rewards copiers.
                    You can guess the next sentence!

Publishing Hubs does require constantly filing DMCA requests.  At least, that has been my experience here. I really think HubPages staff should be filing when the entire site has been scraped.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
                    TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Writer Fox:  You would think that Google would build something into its programming that would show that an article was "first" and then eliminate copied material.  The plagiarism that is going on is really their fault because they are not protecting original writers by doing something like this.

It's not really Google's job to protect writers, but it does offer ways to report plagiarism and responds to DMCA requests.

Google does attempt to feature the original source of content, but cannot always detect the original especially when the original changes its URL, as in the case of 'Editor Choice' Hubs.

8. HollieT profile image81
      HollieTposted 10 years ago

I think it was Susana, the other day, who posted copies of DMCA's filed against this site. One from HP was amongst them. Ridiculous to suggest that HP would some how benefit from having their own sites content scraped.

9. earner profile image81
      earnerposted 10 years ago

The trouble is, with the drop in income ... and my 200+ hubs yesterday producing a total income of less than enough to buy a 1" cube of cheap cheese.... $100 to get it through any court is several months' income. 

Not to mention the mental anxiety and sheer time it'd take.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)