The Logical and Scientific Guide Book on to How to Live.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (73 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

Without basing anything on Unprovable Beliefs, what would this guide book include?

Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

...in other words, what would our world be like if no one believed in anything not proven on the physical plane? - a world where societies are based on logical, scientifically accepted observations, only.  - would it be a society where only a few have power: the logical Spock-types? Or would everyone be able to get on board?

Never mind...read Plato's Republic.

2. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure you live in a supposed secular society, I know I do. We have laws that tell us what is required from us and what the consequences are. So it would look pretty much as it does now except with less running around on Sundays.

Well, in that case we should be more like Germany... they are very atheistic and do a lot of questioning, philosophizing and thinking. So, I do not know about that. We don't do much thinking outside the box here.  I believe Christian doctrines makes the majority of Americans very docile and obedient. Yikes! did I keyboard that?

1. profile image0

Americans, docile and obedient? Please forgive me but American's are not know as docile or obedient to those outside the U.S.

- to one German gal, who I spoke with at a party the other evening, they are. She is a college professor here in So. Cal and She Told Me, In general, her students don't have much interest or fascination with the world or their studies and just work to get good grades. What can of worms have I opened now? Is it a possibility or not. No, so forget about it.
              I must stop this irresponsible keyboarding. Never mind. So sorry. I apologize. Take me off the list. I will quietly go.
              Did I say never mind? I am not cut out for this type of work. I fire my self. Good bye. Put this one to bed immediately...
              Finis.

1. profile image0

That's the general stereotype, but that has nothing to do with being docile or obedient

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

The fact is, scratch that... it happens to be my opinion, that we are letting our POTUS get away with way too much. WTM!!!! Plato warns us about people like him. It is a matter of JUSTICE!
          (which is what Plato's Republic is all about. )

1. profile image0

Perhaps it's time to change your system. Our Prime Minister doesn't have as much power as your boss does. He is also not guaranteed complete terms. But I try not to get involved in American politics as Americans seem to get upset when I feel I'm allowed to comment.

Our "boss" is not supposed to be our boss! 
              In Plato's Republic the tyrant is seen as the unhappiest of all men. Because no one likes him.

The system has changed and that is the Problem. Our system was based on human nature and how to keep the government from becoming too powerful. It is not logical that we do nothing to stop the current tide of political power grabs by our elected representatives / politicians.
                However, that we even have that system in place is based on the belief in God and inalienable rights offered to us by Him.

1. profile image0

No the system hasn't changed. He is allowed more powers because he is able to give himself more power.

Rights offered to you by God. Centre of the universe much? Not being able to see past your self much?

Oh my gosh amighty!  The tyrant is the unhappiest of men, yet he works against his own best interest.  WHY? In Obama's case, is it because he cares not about his OWN best interest? Is he is going by logic and scientific reasoning in effort to save the nation and/or the world??

Here we go!!!
                    So a logical and scientifically based society would feature the following precepts:

1. The residents/citizens would not be "self centered" or "self" oriented. Instead, they would be "others" oriented.

Agreed,  Rad Man?

2. Paraglider profile image86
      Paragliderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A guide book on how to live would primarily be a book on Ethics.
      Ethics can and should be introduced to children (and adults too, if the need has not been addressed) without reference to any supernatural source or influence.
      The ancient Greeks had no trouble distinguishing Ethics from religion, and neither should we.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

About a quarter of the self-help books on the market would fit this description.

4. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It would probably look something like this...

http://www.aesopfables.com/

Our logical and scientifically based Utopia is shaping up just fine at this point!

1. There are no "Citizens."
    2. There are no borders.
    3. Sharing with others is expected.
    4. Self-orientation is not allowed.
    5. The spirit of working for the sake of Others is required.
    6. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are not guaranteed.
    7. Equality is to be enforced in the interest of fairness/justice.
    8. Leaders and any control over Others is Taboo.
    9. All conversations and verbal exchanges are to be that which is logical and provable.
    10. Kindness and thankfulness are not to be expressed, as they are not logically necessary.

1. profile image0

Where are you getting all that?

I got this from my own deductive reasoning based on previous comments from you and others.

1. profile image0

There is no way you got that from anything I said.

Well, apart from RadMan, I'm your only other respondent. I suggested your guide book would in effect be a book on Ethics, which would not even vaguely resemble your 10-point plan. But you showed no interest in what it might comprise.

O.k. I am now! I didn't know you had more to add!  If you would like to explain Ethics, I'm quite interested. I admit I came up with my 10-point plan way too quick. The Greeks probably took their time with these matters.

1. Paraglider profile image86

A couple of years ago I explored this area in a few hubs, along with a great many helpful contributors. What we eventually came up with was a simple non-mystical formulation of basic Ethics, which I've copied below. If you are interested in a link to the complete articles (which are no longer on Hubpages) I will happily provide it.

The code of Ethics is in two parts:

The Knowledge, comprising the three axioms on which the code is based.
              The Code, a framework of simple guidelines that a child can learn to apply.

Part One - The Knowledge

We share the Earth with our fellow Humans, with Animal life and with Plant life.
              We are responsible first to each other and our future generations, then to all life on Earth.
              Sometimes we are subject to natural forces beyond our control.

Part Two - The Code

Do not hurt, harm or abuse other people
              Do not force your will on other people
              Do not take what is not yours
              Do not be devious, treacherous or deceitful
              Do not be cruel to animals
              Be moderate in your consumption
              Try to be helpful to other people
              Be generous with your ideas and talents
              When misfortune occurs, do not give in to despair

1. profile image0
                Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is great, para.  It's a more extensive version of my cousin's credo:  "Be good to the planet and each other."

Thanks smile  It was an enjoyable exercise in the writing and refining. But HubPages isn't its natural home. (It doesn't sell enough Ugg Boots, or something!)

1. profile image0

smile

Which other hubbers participated?  And where is the series now?

Motown, Do you also value the Ten Commandments?

The first three are the God of Moses telling people how he wants to be worshiped. As such they can never be universal, since most people in the World do not acknowledge that God.

The fourth about keeping the sabbath surely isn't important enough to merit a place among the top ten instructions on how to live. (Even though in Numbers 15, v 32-36 Moses, supposedly instructed by God, has a sabbath breaker stoned to death! Not much love and forgiveness there, is there?)

The rest are generally OK, with reservations. For example, murder, adultery, lying and stealing are proscribed, but physical and mental abuse and other forms of cruelty and bullying are not alluded to in any way. That's a serious omission.

The tenth commandment says you should not covet your neighbour's 'possessions' and is very telling in the order in which the possessions are listed: house, wife, male or female servant, ox, donkey. In some translations, 'slave'  replaces 'servant'.  The underlying assumption (reinforced throughout the Bible) is extremely paternalistic. Some are OK with that, but I'm not. How about you?

2. profile image0

Is that relevant to my response to paraglider?

3. HattieMattieMae profile image60
          HattieMattieMaeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like you kathryn,  you tell it like it is! lol

I think we get the picture of life without belief in and institution of:

1. God
      2. Love
      3. Individual rights
      4. Borders.
      5. Self-interest
      6. Elected leaders

1. profile image0

Why are you thanking yourself for your own comments?

Oh, lets get technical.

1. profile image0

Technical? I'm attempting to follow and am having a hard time understanding when you reply and thank yourself.

I am in "threaded." sorry. Anyway I think I fixed it.  We're done though, right? I win?

1. profile image0

Sure you win... at confusing me and for writing complete fiction. LOL

Do not WANT to have this Utopia realized? why not?  I would think you and others would love to live there!

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

This just in:

No prayer in schools.
      No "In God We Trust" on dollar bills.
      No religious icons on public buildings.
      No reference to God in pledging allegiance to the country.
      No sexual discrimination as far as whom can marry whom.
      No depicting humans and dinosaurs coexisting on roadside attractions.
      No teaching creationism in schools.
      No frightening the public with billboards of holy scripture messages.
      Aborting fetuses is legal.
      Drinking alcohol is legal.
      No killing witches
      No killing Muslims

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol

(Thanks for being a good sport, wilderness...)
          And Thank You for helping us out here!

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL  You're welcome, Kathryn, and more than welcome.  Whatever I can do to help straighten out the poor misguided souls of the world. Or give a chuckle to a stray reader or two that has been surfing the forums...  smile

smile

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Ethics is the study of moral reasoning.
    So, morals have nothing to do with religion. I did not know that. Morals are based on reasonable behavior I guess.
    What is reasonable behavior based on?
    logical behavior.  paraglider is right. I have to rethink all of this.
    It is logical to be self-interested.
    Yes it is.
    paraglider is right. I have to rethink all of this.
    I think I should have followed through with just firing myself. I am not up to the task.

1. Zelkiiro profile image88
      Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep. Morals are based on reasonable behavior. Kindness and generosity are the result of deep-seated self-interest.

Why would I be nice to someone? My primate brain says it's because it's the right thing to do, but my reptilian brain says it's because they'll reward me for my niceness.

Why would I purchase goods instead of stealing them? My primate brain says it's because it's the right thing to do, but my reptilian brain says it's because I'll get arrested and then no longer be able to buy the new issue of Hustler.

And so on.

1. profile image0

Ethics needs to be taught to the young and separate from Religion. All religions teach is do good, get reward eventually, do bad and get punished eventually because God is always watching. Few people get past this and that's why they are always spouting off about the punishment of hell. Somehow our jails are full of these people.

In defense of Religion: 

It is logical for me to assume there is a
          source
          of
          my
          Self.
          It is also logical that I should be able to know that Source.
          Being able to directly know the Source (yes, capitalized and singular) of our selves is the purpose behind all religions.
          Therefore, religions are helpful to those who want and need to know the Source of themselves and all life. (Just don't fall for illusive man-made doctrines, and internal church politics, while you're at it.)
          TWISI

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

I would add these logic-based rules to any How to Live list:

Do not get pregnant before you have a home to raise a child.
    Do not get addicted to any substance.
    Do not attempt to fool or trick anyone.
    Listen to your Mother and Father.
    Don't be afraid to advise and counsel teenagers.
    Do not try to control others in any way. (As long as they are not children or young teens needing your guidance.)
    Respect all children and their inner lives.

A logical extension of this one would forbid the teaching of most religious material to children, such as the first three of the ten commandments. This is exactly why I would include ethics but exclude religion from education.

With this exception, that to make sense of history, literature, culture in general, it is necessary to understand how people used to think, and how many still do. Therefore there has to be a place for education _about_ religious beliefs, but not until the child has learned critical thinking.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excellent logical, commonsense principles indeed. It is amazing how many people DON'T follow such principles.  This is why this society is in the malaise it is in.

3. Paraglider profile image86

I also meant to say that ethical or moral guidelines are likely to meet with pretty wide agreement. It's only when one includes supernatural based statements (which here you have not done) that all hope of universality goes out the window.

So you see, your Logical and Scientific Guide Book on How to Live, which when you started this thread you thought would be a non-starter, in fact turns out to be the best approach after all smile

Okay you win. Thanks for your persistence.

- paraglider mentions universality. It seems the test is whether these precepts are applicable to all.
        ...minorities, special cases, special needs, all people should be guaranteed equality as to agreed upon rights in the name of justice.
        Logically, these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
             Surely we can keep these rights by always insisting upon them. It requires a proactive stance and simple understanding to comprehend when they are being threatened. And we value them because they are what we need, whether we believe God gave them to us, or not.

I think we can agree that all people legally present in a country should be equal under the law.
          I think it is also a good principle that every action and pursuit is allowed (maximum freedom) unless society through its legislative procedures has specifically outlawed that action.
          Life and liberty are therefore guaranteed. Pursuit of happiness is a personal choice that is also protected up to the point of illegal forms of pursuit.
          None of this requires existence of or belief in any God, does it?

You've added this bit since I replied to your first draft, above.

And yes, absolutely. The people need to be on their guard against erosion of rights. There has to be a compromise, e.g. between national security and personal privacy, but we as a public have to ensure it is a compromise approved by the majority. And this is far more important to society than our personal notions of the supernatural.

I have scottish ancestry too. My granfather's last name was Dunbar. His middle name was Mulford. I find this an odd middle name. Is there a town in Scotland called Mulford?
            Thanks so much for enlightening us: the few who have been following along. smile

I can't think of a town called Mulford, but there's certainly a Dunbar:

Cope sent a challenge frae Dunbar,
              Sayin' Charlie meet me an' ye daur,
              An' I'll learn ye the art of War,
              If ye'll meet me in the mornin'!

I love all things Scottish. I melt at the sound of bagpipes.  I need to travel there. Thanks for sharing.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

"Men upon too many occasions do give not give their own understandings fair play; but yielding to some untoward bias, they entangle themselves in words and confound themselves in subtleties." Alexander Hamilton in the Federalist Papers. 1788. ( Alexander Hamilton also had Scottish heritage.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)