Why would you stop writing?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Mary Cimeni profile image66
    Mary Cimeniposted 10 years ago

I'm new to hubpages but it seems discouraging for me seeing status that read like saying goodbye to hubpages. I was just starting and some are already leaving. omg...O_O

So what's really making you stop writing? Have you lost your desire? Or is it the decline in traffic? Give me some clue please..

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It depends on the type of writing you want to do. HP's platform is not the greatest for poetry, short stories, etc.

The writing here is a lot of how to's and informational type stuff. I do well here, but it is a lot of work.  I think HP is a great place to gain more writing for the net experience.  I actually use my hubs as writing clips/samples for getting new clients since I work full time as a freelancer. 

I take my creative writing and publish that on my own blog and keep the HP friendlier stuff published here.  It's all in what you decide to do with it. Others shouldn't make that decision or influence it for you.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is a difference between not writing hubs any more and not writing at all.  I write on 10 different platforms.  In terms of dollars earned per hour invested, hubpages is 5th and sinking.

3. Tealparadise profile image83
      Tealparadiseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe a different answer than you'll get elsewhere... I stopped writing because one of my hubs took off MAJORLY and honestly I'm making as much as I had hoped to when I joined.  I don't need more than this.

Mary Cimeniposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your input Tealparadise.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 10 years ago

Between the constant changes of Hubs , and the disappointing interest in poetry , and short stories , I'm not surprised about this !  I too am considering just quitting this horseshit !  You really have to look at the  available places on the net where YOU benefit !  Not someone else .  Good luck , I have gone from  a hubscore of  97 0r so to 76 !  What's that tell you ?

hey that hurts.. :-( I hope it wont happen to me but thanks for giving me a view about creative writeups. I think I'm gonna have them somewhere else, though I will try to write informational articles.

3. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Just getting this thread ahead of the spam.......

4. profile image0
    hlwarposted 10 years ago

I can definitely attest to the fact that fiction and story writing is not a popular attraction here. I'm uploading my old, unpublished novel and it gets no love. However, I have also used FictionPress which is a site specifically meant for original stories - and I get even less traffic and hits there. So I intend to stay on HubPages because the community is better.

I think the folks who are leaving dislike the new changes HubPages recently implemented, which dropped a lot of writer's scores, traffic, and also removed hubs from the features. I never had the scores or traffic so it doesn't bother me. I do have certain hubs un-featured, but all I do is tweak some of the words or add a poll and it's checked and re-featured. No big deal.

Others leaving might also have joined expecting to make money. I know my first introduction to this site was through a Craigslist "writers wanted" job ad. And let me tell you, there's no money to be made unless you're the cream of the crop. Like Christin said it's a lot of work to make it here.

But again, I'm staying because HubPages basically has a built in audience, you do get better exposure through the Google searches, and the community is helpful and diverse. So good luck to you! I hope you don't leave us so soon!

1. Pinklady1350 profile image60
      Pinklady1350posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't been on this site in months. I do notice that a lot of people write informational topics on here. As for your original question, why do people stop writing? I haven't written anything in months. Though many thoughts and ideas still course through my mind, I haven't the energy, nor the heart to write them down. What's wrong with me? Maybe I am not a writer after all...

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't been writing lately, because I just can't. For some reason I've lost my motivation. I think part of it is that I don't feel like I can add anything of value that hasn't been covered by a million other people.

I started here writing about things that I thought would help people and then got off track. I'm hoping things change this winter.

2. Mary Cimeni profile image66

I'd agree and thanks for giving me some view on fiction writing.  hlwar

5. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

Why are people surprised that they do not get visitors for fiction writing????

How does the internet work guys??? You put in a search and the search engine finds it for you based on the content of the page etc.

So if someone searches for "How do I make money" it looks for a relevant page and gives them some options...

Now consider fiction...... Who searches for "My short story by Mary Smith" or "My Poem about Ketchup"?? No one... so the search engines will not send traffic...

You will not be found unless you promote yourself in some manner and drive traffic to your pages. So join forums and FB pages about reading short stories or something and try to drive traffic to your pages - it will not come unless you send it here!!
    Promoting fiction and getting readers takes real work!!!!

6. jondav profile image71
    jondavposted 10 years ago

I'd stop writing if:

1 - i died
    2 - my keyboard broke

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000..............
      http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8383047_f248.jpg

7. Jenn-Anne profile image74
    Jenn-Anneposted 10 years ago

I haven't written much because I'm too exhausted after working my full time job to put in the effort, especially considering all the changes requiring constant edits and updates. Plus I've felt demoralized by my idled seasonal hubs and my dropping hub/hubber scores.  When I do write these days I've been writing fiction which doesn't work here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)