Obeying This 1 Rule and White Teeth Ads On My Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (32 posts)
  1. mrizos profile image64
    mrizosposted 14 years ago

Ok....I am sooooo sick and tired of seeing these complete crap ads everywhere on the internet and now it looks like Hubpages sold out to them!!! 

Ya know the "I lost a million pounds by obeying this 1 stupid rule"....

These 2 ads are a complete scam and are being investigated by the FTC.  I'd like to know why they are on every one of my hubs?!?!?!

I was wondering why my CPC's tanked over the past 3 months...I think I have my answer.

Does anyone know how to turn those scam ads off???

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They must be adsense ads as adsense sometimes lets it child companies to display ads in adsense, doubleclick ads are displayed more often in adsense.

You can stop them through an option in your adsense account. All you have to do is right-click those ads and get their location(URL)... After doing so log in to your adsense account and in the "Adsense setup" tab click competitive ad filters and paste URL there. Don;t forget to save your settings.

2. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

These are Adsense ads, which make revenue for the Hubpages site.  If you do not like the ads maybe you should start a blog over on blogger.com or wordpress.com.

mrizosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope, those are not adsense ads.  They go to click.pulse360.com.

3. SweetiePie profile image82

Hubpages runs other ads yes, but I do not think they are going to change their advertising preferences to meet everyone's whim.  If someone decides to buy a product from an ad that is their choice and who are we to stop them.  Consumers need to educate themselves about what they buy.  However, as I suggested if you do not make money via Adsense maybe you would prefer a free blog without advertising.

You're missing the point.

1.  Hubpages limits us on affiliate links, but have no problem placing completely irrelevant ads on our hubs that give them 100% of the profits.

2.  Those 3rd party "blue" ads are made to look like Adsense ads which is a blatant violation of the Adsense TOS (for everyone else I guess).

3.  More of the those stupid, untargeted, pulse360 ads are lowering our adsense CPC and stealing clicks that we used to have.

I have a large network of self hosted wordpress blogs so I'm gonna get packing. 

I just wanted to let all the noobs know that those blue ads ARE NOT ADSENSE ADS and they are being ripped off.

1. profile image0
        dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks for your concern for us noobs....but I personaly really do not care what clicks go where. If I make 50 cents, thats more then I had yesterday. If I make nothing, thats cool, I get to write and meet people anyway. those blue links came from somebody, somewhere, who is a human being, doing thier job. Good for them.

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Especially considering that this "advice" is just a piece of misinformed rabble. I think every other week or so we are getting someone with a conspiracy theory about Hubpages. Those bright ones come and go, Hubpages grow smile

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL yet another conspiracy theorist big_smile

Are you John, too?

Not really a conspiracy. 

If someone clicks a pulse360 ad you get nothing. 

If someone clicks an adsense ad you get some and hubpages gets some.

Where's the conspiracy?

1. LondonGirl profile image82
        LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's not right.

If someone clicks on a page where your ads are showing you get 100% of the money. If someone clicks on a page with hubpages' ads showing, you get zilch. Your ads show 60% of the time.

2. darkside profile image66
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. Both parties don't get some.

The revenue is not split. The impressions are split.

So if there's a click on your ad impression, you get 100%.

From time to time HubPages HQ experiments with new ad networks. They do so on their share of the page impressions.

3. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, that's NOT how it works.  You might want to read the FAQ...

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Take your time to educate yourself how HP ad impressions sharing works. One would have thought 13 months is enough to read the FAQ lol

6. SweetiePie profile image82

You are not supposed to be clicking on ads unless you have a legitmate interest in buying something lol.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

There have been so many complaints about certain ads on hubs-- For the most part, I think people pay little attention to ads unless they have come to your hub seeking a particular product or service they are already seeking.

If the ads are unrelated they are usually ignored.
    If you don't want any ads-- you can totally opt out.

8. onthewriteside profile image60
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

Last I checked, HubPages was free.  They have to make their money somehow.  I'm assuming you are referring to the ads on your sidebar.  If not, perhaps you should check your content...

Yippe...1 adsense block here + 3 pulse360 ads:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Do-I-Block-A-Website

I realize its free, thanks.  I just saw so many people asking why their earnings had dropped on hubpages, so I decided to give a possible answer.

1. Lissie profile image77
        Lissieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My Adsense earnings have more than tripled in the last couple of months thanks to hubpages (and no thats not $1 to $3 add a couple of zeros). You clearly haven't read the TOS - if there are non-Adsense ads running thats in the 40% of impressions which are HP's  -no one is doing you out of anything. If you want to make money find some good keywords and write more hubs

9. onthewriteside profile image60
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

Yep....just checked my Hub on getting published...not a single ad on there that didn't have to do with publishing.  That is except for the sidebar...but that's HubPage's space...

1. MontyApollo profile image60
      MontyApolloposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My Hawaii-themed hubs have been running ads for Dallas White Teeth and Dallas something or another. They seem to alternate back and forth between 100% Hawaii ads and just partly Hawaii and partly "White Teeth" crap ads with the current city you are connecting from inserted in front of the ad text.

10. SweetiePie profile image82

If people focused on writing new hubs and research good topics to write about then they would have less time to complain.  Why complain about making money to requires little physical work?  There are sites for freelance writing for those who want to make a bit more than what content ads will offer.

11. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

SweetiePie and Misha have been here a long time no doubt because they are happy with hubpages as I am. it is free, it rewards ability and is run ethically, and to imply otherwise indicates to me that you have not looked at management on this site.
    Ethics flow from the top down, so I feel very confident in the payment structure here. Hubpages is free, despite having more seo bells and whistles than all the other sites of this type combined.

12. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

There are several possible reasons for "crappy" ads running on your Hubs.

One, remember that the ads are selected based on the content of your Hubs.  If they're consistently irrelevant, it could be because you don't have enough relevant keywords, and the ads have picked up on other words that aren't relevant (if the Suggested Tags aren't all that good, that clinches it). 

If the ads can't work out what your Hubs are about, the search engines will be the same, so it's worth rewriting to mention your topic a bit more.

Two, when you first publish a Hub, the ads shown are just any old ads.  Go back and check when your Hub is a few days old, then you'll see the real ads.

Three, HubPages does experiment with other ad providers from time to time.  Like all experiments, strange things can happen while they're experimenting.  If they're serving irrelevant ads then HubPages won't be making any money off them, either, so they'll ditch that provider pretty quick smart.

13. White Teeth profile image60
    White Teethposted 14 years ago

I hope those White Teeth ads don't show up on my hub...

http://hubpages.com/t/a2655

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol, strangely there were none, ads for short breaks, find Indian singles, fix computer errors automatically, but no white teeth ads, unlucky! smile

2. MontyApollo profile image60
      MontyApolloposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You've got them now-- both on your profile and your hub.

1. White Teeth profile image60
        White Teethposted 14 years agoin reply to this

SWEEEEEET!

One White Teeth to bring them all and in the darkness bind them...

14. profile image0
    IĆ°unnposted 14 years ago

I looked too.  :p

15. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

Plus I believe certain IPs see those white teeth ads more often. SU's bot see those ads on my hubs while I don't.

16. Drop Bear profile image60
    Drop Bearposted 14 years ago

I could do with whiter teeth.
    Does that stuff get out bloodstains?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)