$56.2 billion just for the intelligent budget last year!

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (29 posts)
  1. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

And we don't have any money to save our country!

1. profile image56
      Education Answerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

56.2 billion dollars in borrowed money, to be exact.

maxoxam41posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Worst!

2. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello Max.

You can not possibly be suggesting that the US eliminate spending for intelligence gathering operations. This $56.2 billion is not unreasonable and it accounts for less than 1.5% of the $3.8 trillion in government outlays during 2012. {1}

Using the scale of an average employee in NY State working in the private sector, this amount is equivalent to spending $14 of her $933 weekly salary for reading and learning materials that keep her informed about local and world events. {2}

Education Answer also contributed the following…
      “56.2 billion dollars in borrowed money, to be exact.”
      (Greetings EA. Howzit goin’?)

To be exact, EA, $56.2 billion is less than 5% of the $1.3 trillion added to the total national public debt outstanding during 2012. {3}

In September, 2012, the Treasury Department was paying 00.1 percent interest on a 3 month T-bill. {4}

The cost of borrowing $56.2 billion for one year increases the annual expenditures by 00.006% per year. 

Therefore, if we are practical, rational, and realistic, we should know that we could not catch up on past due mortgage payments by slashing the tip we slip to our barber.

Maxoxam41 also wrote…
      “And we don't have any money to save our country.”

The $716 B spent for national defense was all about saving our country. Some knowledge about how the government spends is clearly missing. Other expenditures in fiscal year 2012 included…

Transportation $102 B

Education, Training, Employment
      and Social Services $139 B

Health $361 B

Veterans Benefits and Services $130 B

Administration of Justice  $62.0 B
      {5}

“We can’t be in an ideological battle to redeem the soul of the country if we don’t have the facts.” ~ Tavis Smiley

We need to carefully examine the facts, Max, because we already have a glut of opinions.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
      {1} http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Unite … ral_budget
      {2} http://www.bls.gov/ro2/aeearnny.htm
      {3} http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/debt/s … dYear=2012
      {4} http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/busin … .html?_r=0
      {5} http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Unite … ral_budget

I know exactly what our government is spending. Any idiot has access to this information so spare me your pseudo knowledge. I want a constructive debate not a glorification of grand larceny!

1. Quilligrapher profile image72

Hi there Max.

I am so sorry my facts upset you.

I offered you a constructive debate in my first two paragraphs. You ignored them.

“This $56.2 billion is not unreasonable and it accounts for less than 1.5% of the $3.8 trillion in government outlays during 2012.

Using the scale of an average employee in NY State working in the private sector, this amount is equivalent to spending $14 of her $933 weekly salary for reading and learning materials that keep her informed about local and world events.”

I offered you facts and supporting references to indicate US expenditures for intelligence gathering is not unreasonable. Surely, you have facts to prove me wrong.

I also see a claim that “we don't have any money to save our country!” If this is not just bravado on your part then you must have some facts to back up this assertion also.

I would welcome a constructive debate, one that consists of more than anemic USA bashing. I am happy to exchange ideas that include verifiable facts and traceable citations. I am looking forward to seeing if you are too.

Thank you, Max, for sharing. I am sure your pseudo knowledge will be superior to mine. smile

2. profile image56

That's the problem.  Everybody in Washington tries to justify expenses by saying they are a drop in the bucket.  When the bucket is overflowing, every drop counts.  A billion dollars isn't much to a politician.  They throw it around like nothing.  Spend a billion here and a billion there, and we just go further and further into debt.  The point is that all our spending is bloated, so a sliver of a bloated budget is too much to spend.

Hi EA. Your opinion is coming across loud and clear. I thank you for sharing with us.

Both you and the OP implied that spending $56.2B for intelligence gathering in 2013 was too much even though it is $2B less than 2011. {1} I thought it was a reasonable request for the flimsy reasons I gave. However, “the point is that all our spending is bloated,” you say, “so a sliver of a bloated budget is too much to spend.” You did say “too much to spend,” right?

“The budget request lists five major missions for the intelligence agencies: warning American leaders about threats and instability; battling terrorism; countering weapons proliferation; cyberoperations; and counterespionage.” {2}

Based upon your experience in this area, which of these goals would you cut back? If it is your opinion $56.2B is too high, please tell us the right amount and how you arrived at it.

Having enough knowledge about this subject to criticize this spending must mean you also know enough about this subject to offer a solution. I would love to hear it.

Please forgive me if this seems obtuse. With all due respect, I truly mean no offense, EA. Clearly, you object to spending deficits and the national debt. I think most Americans do. However, you joined in with the OP to target a highly complex subject without offering an iota of justification to support your conclusions. Having a high regard for one’s own opinions is not a good reason to criticize the government without doing adequate research and gathering an arsenal of facts. Neither you nor I can pretend to have all the answers unless we first take the time to research all the questions. 

I am always grateful to you for all of your valuable contributions, EA. Thank you again.
            {1} http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/08/30/us … gence.html
            {2} Ibid.

1. profile image56

You have a nice way of giving backhanded compliments. 

You state, "Having a high regard for one’s own opinions is not a good reason to criticize the government without doing adequate research and gathering an arsenal of facts." There are two sides to each coin.  You seem to do your research but also seem to be all too willing to support objectives that, by design, are intended to sound worthy of government funding.  Of course the goals of this program sound great.  That's how government works.  If you don't make your goals/objectives sound worthy, you won't acquire the kind of funding you desire.

Look at the goals of our military, and you'll find that they, too, sound great.  As a conservative who believes in a strong military, I also support budgetary cuts in our military.  Look at the goals of our Federal Department of Education, and you'll find that they, too, sound great.  As a teacher who believes that a strong education is the future of America, I also support budgetary cuts in the Federal Department of Education.  You see, I believe that we will go broke, and that the spending has to be slowed down.  That doesn't mean I do not support spending for worthy programs like this; I just don't support a hemorrhaging of our budget. Virtually all government programs sound great on the surface.  That's how they got funded in the first place!  One has to look beyond the stated goals to see if they are actually being met and if they can be met for less money.  Don't politicians have a responsibility to provide the greatest services for the least money, or do they just justify spending based on great goals?

How is that 56 billion dollars being spent?  Do you support the Patriot Act in its entirety?  Do you support drones flying over your home?  Does that seem American?  Do you support your own government infecting your computer with spyware?  Does that seem American?  Do you support your own government watching your phone calls or even listening to them?  How about satellites watching you?  How about massive computers intended to store information about you?  Perhaps you like the fact that Google and other companies have been "encouraged" to provide information about customers to the government.  Yes, I believe that 56 billion dollars is too much to spend on this.  I believe that our government is spending money targeting not only the terrorists but its own American citizens. I don't want to fully fund a program that targets its own people in addition to terrorists.  Further, if you do a little research, you'll find that there is plenty of waste and room for budgetary cuts:

Homeland Security under fire for wasteful spending

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/ … 095154.php

Abolish the Department of Homeland Security

http://www.cato.org/publications/commen … d-security

Best wishes.

Good Evening, EA.

I do not give backhanded compliments. I do try to be honest about what I see and read. This sometimes leads to remarks that contain both sincere compliments and disserved criticism too. I am sorry that you can not tell the difference and have decided to call them backhanded. 

Regarding intelligence gathering, I glean from your comments that you think less is better. Your rationale seems to favor slashing no matter what the consequences to national security. While I too share your concerns about budget deficits, waste in government, and the national debt, I favor targeting and eliminating specific examples of waste. I do not believe indiscriminate, imprudent, or poorly considered cutting is in the best interest of national security. You have made it clear that you do and you are entitled to your opinion.

I thank you again for your extensive reply. I am grateful for the time and effort you invested.

Which consequences? Let's see how far you will go in your argumentation! He couldn't careless about people in Detroit, homelessness... What happens in other countries doesn't concern any US citizen! America is bleeding and Quiligrapher wants to increase our debt. What else?

Hello, Max. Good to see you back.

I do not want to increase our debt and I never said I do. So let’s really focus on your own OP statement:

You wrote:
                    “$56.2 billion just for the intelligent [sic] budget last year!
                    And we don't have any money to save our country!”

While I never said this amount should be increased, you started this thread by implying $56.2B for intelligence gathering was too much to spend in 2013 even though it is $2B less than 2011. {1} I thought it was a reasonable request for the flimsy reasons I gave. You gave no reasons. If it is your opinion $56.2B is too high, please tell us the right amount and why.

When I suggested there would be consequences to national security from slashing funds for gathering intelligence, you replied, “Which consequences?”

I agree with you, the USA is hurting. I also agree that Detroit is hurting. And, yes, there are too many unemployed and homeless. I do not make light of any of these problems but there are other issues too.

You ask "Which consequences?"

Foreign enemies penetrated our borders and killed more than 3,000 Americans on American soil.

I have not forgotten that America is under attack. I believe it would be imprudent to slash funding for gathering intelligence about our enemies without considering any of the consequences.

“The fact that the United States has not suffered a large-scale attack since 9/11 speaks to the country’s counterterrorism successes.”  “Indeed since bin Laden’s death, at least nine publicly known Islamist-inspired terror plots against the United States have been foiled, bringing the total number of foiled plots since 9/11 to at least 50.” “47 were thwarted due to the concerted efforts of intelligence and law enforcement.” {2} [Emphasis added.]

“There still were 207 terrorist attacks recorded inside the US in the decade after 9/11 – about 20 per year on average, according to the Global Terrorism Database (GTD) maintained at the University of Maryland, widely regarded as the nation’s most complete tally.” {3}

“September 2009, the feds arrested Naji-bullah Zazi and at least four others. They were arrested for purchasing chemical explosive materials allegedly to bomb the New York subway system.” Wire taps authorized under the Patriot Act contributed to their apprehension. {4}

“Bomb plots targeting the New York Stock Exchange and the city's subway were among more than 50 terrorist acts worldwide thwarted by top-secret surveillance programs since the 2001 al Qaeda attacks on the United States, security officials said Tuesday.” {5} [Emphasis added.]

Our national security represents the consequences. What is the security of the United States worth? Do you have a number in mind? I have no doubt that pro-terrorist supporters around the world would celebrate the US slashing its intelligence programs.

All of that aside, I truly hope you have a great night, Max.
                    {1} http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/08/30/us … gence.html
                    {2} http://www.heritage.org/research/report … -terrorism
                    {3} http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2013/0427/ … iled-plots
                    {4} http://www.fox19.com/story/16214431/rea … or-attacks
                    {5} http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/18/politics/ … index.html

2. profile image0
                    mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you really believe that global events have no affect on America and on the lives of Americans?

Do the words "global economy" mean anything to you?

2. profile image56

I can most certainly tell the difference between "disserved [sic] criticism" and backhanded compliments.  I can also tell when the "deserved criticism" is total opinion.  Let's be honest, there's no way to prove either one of us right on this issue.  Thus, your "deserved criticism" is total opinion.

I believe that less intelligence gathering on American citizens is better; I believe that we need to continue gathering intelligence on terrorists.  Targeting the majority of American citizens IS wasteful, and it runs contrary to everything America should stand for.  It's reminiscent McCarthyism, and I am opposed to funding such a program. 

I, too, thank you for your reply.  While we disagree, I am not going to pretend that I am right and criticize you because you disagree.  Instead, I will merely say that I respect your opinion, because I believe it comes from a good and just place, the desire to keep Americans safe.

Best wishes.

Thank you, EA, for sharing. I am grateful to you for your comments.

2. maxoxam41 profile image64

Thank you for acknowledging the realities of our government. It is exactly what I am reproaching Quilligrapher, at first sight he seems liberal but as you dig deeper he is a newt gingrinch!

3. profile image0

Define "save our country".

Do I look like a toy for you to play with? Don't insult my intelligence! If you didn't understand what I meant then you don't belong to this debate! Didn't you just refer to Detroit? Do you really think that Detroit will be the only one?

2. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 10 years ago

Facts or data or documentary evidence matter little to those whose automated response to any facts or data or documentary evidence that have the potential to undermine their agenda---whatever it may be, is to claim that anyone who disagrees with them is unable to read or to reason and is equally unable to find and process information independently of "the media". If we disagree with them, we are subject to the most patently personal of attacks. If we disagree with them we are media puppets and fools.

When the media won't be biased then I will listen. When our government that lies to us (weapon of mass destruction...), that acknowledges their crime after the statute of limitations (CIA...), that allows grand larceny by the white collars of Wall-Street... will act in the name of the people and not in the name of the elite, if it ever happens in this country, then I will support my government but, to do it blindly, I refuse.

1. profile image0

And where do you get your data? Webpages? Blogs? Print? Radio?

Are these not media?

No. Not mainstream, guaranteeing thereto its independence!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)