unions= problems

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8339934.jpg
    Do YOU believe that unions are the main problems in the United States?  Do YOU feel that unions are causing jobs to be outsourced overseas because of the exorbitant demands of union officials?  Do YOU also believe that unions tend to protect the worst employees that should have been fired instead of being retained?  What is YOUR opinion of unions in the United States?

1. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why just in the US? Unions seem to be the same all over the world, they certainly are in Europe and definitely the same in the UK, they have become more concerned with their own politics than representation of the workforce.

2. AMFredenburg profile image72
    AMFredenburgposted 10 years ago

How could they be the main problem when they barely exist anymore, at least in the private sector? The management of companies make lots of contracts every day, and they use lawyers to negotiate those contracts so that they get the best deal for their company. A work arrangement is an implied contract between an employer and an employee: "I do work for you, you pay me." Why shouldn't workers have the right to negotiate those contracts, and why not collectively with a union?

There are times when unions go overboard and make too many demands, but one good way to control that is with public sentiment. Where I live, members of the teacher's unions periodically start complaining about how hard teachers work and how little they get paid, when in reality they are getting paid more and getting more benefits than most of the people paying their salaries - the taxpayers. I pointed this out in a blistering letter to the local newspaper, in which I told them they certainly had the right to professional pay and benefits, but that they needed to take into consideration the file clerks, bus drivers and mechanics who were paying their salaries and benefits and who in a lot of cases weren't getting *any* benefits, and that they needed to develop a little respect and a little humility. Not long after my letter appeared, the unions in question came up with an equitable settlement. I'd like to think my letter had an effect. Thing is, I expressed my dissatisfaction, but I *didn't* insist on taking away the union members' right to collective bargaining.

1. profile image52
      NewYorkManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

“Where I live, members of the teacher's unions periodically start complaining about how hard teachers work and how little they get paid, when in reality they are getting paid more and getting more benefits than most of the people paying their salaries - the taxpayers.”

This is my main beef with municipal unions. The real employers of municipal workers, primarily property taxpayers, are not represented in these union negotiations, but are forced to fund the obligations of the labor agreements that politicians and other bureaucrats reach with unions, whether or not those obligations are economically sustainable.

I am a property taxpayer in one of the suburbs near NYC and I was laid off several years ago. Ever since, the only employment I have found were temporary jobs with no benefits and for a fraction of the wages I used to earn before I was laid off. Despite my declining income, my property taxes go up every year. Many of these municipal workers retire with pensions that are significantly higher than salaries of taxpayers.

I have had to borrow money just to pay for necessities and I am far from being alone in this predicament. With foreclosures on the rise, a shrinking tax base and unsustainable salary and pension obligations, this system is certain to collapse.

The recent announced bankruptcy of Detroit should be a lesson of how inefficient and irresponsible most big city governments are in managing public finances. Detroit’s bankruptcy is a prime example of a corrupt and wasteful big city government. There will be more bankruptcies, like Detroit, coming in the foreseeable future.

3. Zelkiiro profile image89
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

If companies are taking their jobs overseas because they're too cheap to pay their workers $9.00 an hour, then I don't think the unions are the problem...

1. Quilligrapher profile image74
      Quilligrapherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nice to see you, Zelkiiro. I found your claim interesting and begging to be corrected. smile

Companies in the USA are taking their jobs overseas because foreign workers work harder for less and not because “they’re too cheap to pay their workers $9.00 an hour.” I am well aware of the huge hit labor has suffered during the last twenty years. Believe me, I understand and I am sympathetic to the economic hardships endured by American labor as a whole. However, we all need to face the harsh facts.

Fact: We live in a global economy whether we like it or not.

Fact: The cost of labor is significantly lower in other parts of the world.

Fact: America, as a result, has had to deal with two trends.

In the first trend, production has shifted to those markets in the world where labor costs are among the lowest. The compensation earned by US manufacturing workers in 2011 was $35.53/hour. That same year, the rate was $6.48/hour in Mexico and $2.01 in The Philippines. {1}

VentureOutsource.com noted "Though manufacturing workers in China are earning more than ever before, average hourly compensation costs were only $1.36 in 2008." {2} With US workers expecting $35.53/hour and Chinese workers expecting around $1.36/hour, it is not surprising most US products are made in China.

The Second scenario covers cases where production can not be outsourced so the much more competitive labor forces come to us. The truth is they are accustom to working for $6.48/hour in Mexico, they are attracted by our $35.53 rate, and they are happy to work for less. Surprise! Surprise! In addition, they also have a willingness to learn from and respond to the global economy. Meanwhile, too many American workers do not understand why they are not able to find work.   

On a final note, some McDonald’s workers are protesting with the hope of getting the minimum wage up to $15.00 an hour. Talk about a hopeless cause! Obviously, most of them are too young to realize a machine can replace them.
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8343476_f248.jpg
      Horn & Hardart Automats, NYC’s self service phenomenon of the 20th century. {3}
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
      {1} http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/ichcc.pdf
      {2} http://www.ventureoutsource.com/contrac … -costs-ems
      {3} http://www.theautomat.net/

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Without unions my grandfather would probably be a skeleton at the bottom of a coal mine and I wouldn't even exist.

1. AMFredenburg profile image72
      AMFredenburgposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I remember in the fifties and sixties when it seemed there were coal mine disasters every few weeks! Unfortunately they still happen sometimes, and it seems that the accidents happen in non-union mines.

2. profile image52
      NewYorkManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Generations ago, when there were outrageous abuses of workers, particularly in regard to work safety and health conditions, unions served a useful purpose. However, with so many increased regulations and safety standards since then, unions have largely outlived their original purpose. I have never been in a union, but I am not against them in principle. However, I am opposed to union greed and inefficiency that costs virtually everyone in out of control taxes and excessive costs of doing business.

3. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The decline in union membership can be put down to a few factors but one of the biggest factors int he UK was the miners strike of the early 80's where the NUM decided to take on a strong government, don't get me wrong I think the workforce had concerns that should have been addressed but the unions led them into a political war with Thatcher and her government which was at the very least reckless.
      I think after this people had lost confidence in the unions and with the onslaught of privatisation there was less inclination for workers to join unions and pay ever increasing fees.
      The only unions who have seen a increase in membership is the public service unions who for the most part play politics with the membership and the taxpayers.
      There is nothing wrong with the basic idea of the power of the workforce, the Germans in fact embrace the idea with their workers councils, however the unions have become embroiled in political allegiances and strikes are more to do with who the government of the day are rather than what the workforce require.
      I also think its a disgrace that some union leaders think its ok to take salaries of up to £200k a year whilst representing people on £6.19 an hour.

1. AMFredenburg profile image72
        AMFredenburgposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know in the U.S. unions have overstepped at times, which certainly had an effect, but companies have worked hard to get rid of unions, as well, using outsourcing of jobs to places like India and China as threats and often following through. Union representation should be a balancing act; I'd like to see more union representation among workers in the U.S., but I'd also like to see thoughtful union reps that can look at both sides and represent their workers well without unnecessarily crippling companies in the process. And you make a good point about union leader salaries; maybe they should be capped.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 10 years ago

Happy Labor Day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)