Can we please talk about adding G+ back to the sharing options on HP.

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (36 posts)
  1. toptendeals profile image69
    toptendealsposted 10 years ago

There’s a community of over 500 million members, with over 60% of them logging on every day, providing a vast base for your potential audience.

80% of G+ accounts log in once every week.

G+ is the second largest social network and overtook twitter early in the year.

---------------------------------------------

I don't know what else to say, are we picking a fight with the company that gives us 90+% of our web traffic?  What's the downside of including G+ in our sharing options.

I personally have over 1000 followers in my G+ circle and I send them to HubPages.  I would love if they could easily share my hubs with their networks though.

----------------------------------------------

Can we at least take another look at adding the G+ back on HubPages?

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1 - I have over 1,300 followers on G+.

2. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We have discussed this in the past, but I can bring it up again in our Community meeting.

Perhaps you could take this article to the meeting:
        http://moz.com/blog/google-plus-correlations

2. toptendeals profile image69
        toptendealsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

All we ask is that you bring the conversation back to the table.  Appreciate you taking the time to hear our concerns Matthew!

4. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We discussed this in our community meeting and have added this feature to our list of possible items for future implementation.

1. sallybea profile image93
        sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Matthew.

2. toptendeals profile image69
        toptendealsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nice thanks.

3. agvulpes profile image84
        agvulpesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would suggest sooner rather than later. smile

2. Misfit Chick profile image76
    Misfit Chickposted 10 years ago

Not to mention, it seems to affect our adsense 'scorecard' in a negative way if hubs don't have one. Why is there a button for Twitter & Pinterest but not for Google? It's a good question. smile

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Thelma Alberts profile image91
      Thelma Albertsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+2

3. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

I think they said it wasn't being used.   +1

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

"As well, Google will tell you that active engagement with their product Google+ will be "beneficial" to any publisher as a whole, including in search. Publishers now ignore Google+ at their peril, whether it is relevant to their business or not. "

The above quote is just above the first chart at http://www.theawl.com/2013/08/the-next- … for-search

1. sabrebIade profile image81
      sabrebIadeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Google: Beautiful website ya got here.
      Really be a shame if somethin' happened to it...
      Ya know...websites drop in rankings....
      I'm just sayin'.....

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

5. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 10 years ago

I have to agree that it should be re introduced after all my score card on adsense  needs to be balanced  out.

1. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can add a google+ to your google tool bar which will enable you to google+ all your hubs - download from google

1. Thelma Alberts profile image91
        Thelma Albertsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you sallybea for the info.

Misfit Chickposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Sally - but that doesn't really improve the scorecard for Google. Why aren't any Hubpages personnel responding to this?

MATTHEW MEYER is part of the staff of HubPages and he did respond.  See his post above.

1. Misfit Chick profile image76

Thanks, but a little more information would be nice... Can you tell us the reasons for it not to have been implemented in 'past' meetings? What is the reason for something so seemingly logical to not be available?

I mean, I wonder if NOT having it conveniently available like Twitter or Pinterest somehow contributes to the advantage of Hubpages itself? Does having the +1 button on our hubs dig into Hubpage's income, somehow? Would author's get more and Hubpages get less for some reason?

6. moonlake profile image82
    moonlakeposted 10 years ago

Looks like some strange things going on in the forums right now.

7. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

I would really like to see it added again. When it was here I got more traffic from G+ than I did FB. I still don't get much traffic from Twitter so that button is useless to me.

This is why I'm suspicious of it being removed, especially since no Hubpage staffers are responding to this. Why was it removed? Why isn't such a logical thing on our pages? Does it increase money to Hubpages somehow while taking it away from Authors? I think it's a fair question to be asking and getting an answer for.

1. Cardisa profile image88
        Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Misfit Chick, the last time we brought it up we were told it was removed because it was hardly used by readers.  I was one of those who requested it be replaced but it hasn't. I hope that this new request does not fall on deaf ears.

BTW, Matthew did respond and he is a member of staff.

Yes, I saw that he responded - someone said that, earlier. I'm looking for a more specific response. I said that, too. If no one was using it and it wasn't hurting anything - but somehow it affected the amount of hits we receive. There might be something to it. I also know this question has been asked before - I've asked it before, myself. But I have yet to see a good reply from any of the staff. That's what I'm looking for. I'm sorry if I seem argumentative - but again, something seems fishy from my perspective. wink

- Especially since it seems to affect our adsense scores.

2. ktrapp profile image92
        ktrappposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If I recall correctly, the G+ button was removed around the time HP was making a lot of changes to page layout probably more than a year and a half ago. I believe that some of the changes made at that time were meant to improve page load speed. Specifically, when the G+ button was removed I believe the explanation given at the time was that it was hardly used so it was not worth having since it makes a page take longer to load.

Unfortunately, I feel it was removed while Google Plus was in its infancy so I am glad to see that Matthew Meyer (HP staff) stated earlier in this thread that he is going to bring this up in one of their meetings.

1. PegCole17 profile image93
          PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Page load speed is also a negative factor in my "Site Health" scorecard results on AdSense. It seemed to me when I was opening some of my hubs that the page loading was quite slow and on others it was faster.
          About Google plus, out of 5 stars, my report shows only 1 star with a recommendation on "needed improvement" of adding Google+ to my sites. neutral

If HubPages wants an improved relationship with Google, maybe we need to listen to what they want.
          http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8373392_f248.jpg

1. PegCole17 profile image93
            PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, yes. I should have known there would be repercussions to this post and there certainly were. Ok. Good luck with the site.

8. toptendeals profile image69
    toptendealsposted 10 years ago

I wouldn't think hubpages staff was being malicious.  The truth of the matter is Google plus didn't get a lot of traction off the bat so I could understand pulling it off hubpages.  It's definitely worth putting back up now though.  It's still not quite as large as facebook but it's grown into the second biggest network so it's time to re-add it.

1. profile image0
      Ben Blackwellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
        Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would also like to see the +1 button come back. I didn't utilize it much when it was new, but now I have been posting things and having conversations on it. I think it would be helpful to us.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)