Promotion of hubs through HP violated TOS Forum

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Prakash RnP profile image39
    Prakash RnPposted 10 years ago

A fellow hubber didn't like my plan to seek to promote my hubs through the HP Forum. Is it unfair ? Please reply giving reasons.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Of course it's not unfair.  These forums are a place for us to take a break from the business of writing online. Polluting it with self-promotion would spoil that. 

Since the forums are visible only to people who are logged in, posting links on here doesn't achieve much anyway.

1. agvulpes profile image86
        agvulpesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Marisa the 'forums' can be read when not logged in but you must be logged in to 'reply' (I just checked) smile

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And the forums are read by search engines.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

I know that used to be the case, but for the past few months I've been unable to see the forums without logging in (previously I always used to check the forums before I bothered to log in).   I must say I haven't even tried to see them without logging in recently, so maybe it was just a glitch!

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

I just checked again.  I'm sure you can look at the forums if you have the link, but if you're not logged in there is no link on the front page of HubPages to reach the forums.

1. WryLilt profile image89
            WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have arrived at forum threads via search before.

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good point; the forums show up in the search results all the time.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's against the terms of service and the forum rules:

" Do not start threads for the sole purpose of promotion or posting links."

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's a bad idea that will get you banned from the forums if you persist with it.

4. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As several authors have mentioned, it is against the terms of service to promote your Hubs in the forums. 
      Here again is the link that Relache shared.

The Forums are for discussion, not self-promotional link-posting. We encourage you to avoid posting promotional or irrelevant links, be they to Hubs or external sites in which you have a vested interest. The three places where we do encourage you to post links to your Hubs are in the HubChallenges section, Extreme Hub Makeover section, and in Weekly Topic Inspiration threads.

http://hubpages.com/help/forum_rules

5. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey there...
      Way d
              o
              w
              n
      here in the Southern Hemisphere....
      we tend to view things up there like that in their worst state!
      Blatant self promos tend to be seen as about as popular as skidmarks on a high diver's white speedos!  sad

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

You are not allowed to obviously self-promote.  Lots of people do it subtly.  It is a complete waste of time anyway.  Who is going to read your page that you say is good?  Anyone?  No-one?  A handful of disinterested people who only want to do it in order to promote their own stuff?

Write good stuff.... and pray.  That's all you need to do.

Ignore ALL internet advice.  They are all selling you something.

3. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 10 years ago

If you take the time to read the forum rules, you'll see that #5 clearly begins "The Forums are for discussion, not self-promotional link-posting."

http://hubpages.com/help/forum_rules

Prakash RnPposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the reply and for pointing to my mistake. But one thing isn't clear yet. The same rule also says 'The three places where we do encourage you to post links to your hubs are in the HubChallenges section, ...' But the 'HubChallenges' is also a sort of 'Forum', isn't it? Forums are not for 'self-promotional link-posting'; hubbers are encouraged to post links to their hubs 'in the HubChallenges section' -- the two statements evidently contradict each other, don't they?

1. psycheskinner profile image83

Yes they have stated exception where the link to a hub is clearly not blatant me-me-me self promotion.  This includes *full participation* in challenges, and seeking help to improve your hub (not just people to read it).

Honestly, we are not your audience--we are your peers.  You need to be looking elsewhere for traffic.

The main limitation of your reply is, from my viewpoint, the fact that it doesn't contain any corroborative reasons for your views. Can't my peers be my audience? Don't my peers really expect me to read their writing?

1. psycheskinner profile image83

Can't my peers be my audience?
            1) It is not why we are here
            2) Hubpages does not allow it
            3) You should be a tad more ambitious that reaching a few hundred forum users most of whom have zero interest in your views

Don't my peers really expect me to read their writing?
            3) No, this is a content site -- not a clusterpluck.
            4) No, hubber readers don't make us any money

'It is not why we are here'
              Should I take it to mean that at some place other than the HubChallenges section you're agreed to be a reader of works of your fellow hubbers?
              'Hubpages does not allow it'
              I cannot see eye to eye with you on this point as one of the HubPages rules states that the 'three places' where hubbers are encouraged 'to post links' to their hubs include 'the HubChallenges section'. (Please visit HubPages Forums: Rules of Conduct @ http://hubpages.com/help/forum_rules .)
              The 'links' in question, as I see it, cannot be other than 'self-promotional' just because if all forums (including 'the HubChallenges section') were meant only for postings different to 'self-promotional link-posting[s]', it should have been useless and senseless to add a statement meant to encourage hubbers 'to post [non-self-promotional] links' on 'the HubChallenges section' after stating unequivocally that the 'Forums are for discussion, not self-promotional link-posting,' and for that reason it shouldn't have been added at all.
              'You should be a tad ...'
              Is there any conclusive logical connection between some hubber's 'zero interest' or full interest in something and all the other hubbers' interest or disinterest?
              'No, this is ... clusterpluck.'
              I should like to seek an elaboration of this argument.
              'No, hubber readers ... money'
              I should like to seek an elaboration of this point too. How does it relate to my query, i.e. whether my fellow hubbers expect me to be their reader ?

2. relache profile image71
            relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Which Hubs authored by the people who've taken the time to reply to you in this thread have you read?

I haven't so far read any hubs authored by you who've cared to post replies to my posts on the HP forum. But what led you to ask this question? I feel curious to know it.

1. relache profile image71

You said "Don't my peers really expect me to read their writing?" 

All the people who have taken time to reply to you here are your peers.... So I asked, given that these people made the effort to help you with your question, are you reading their Hubs?

Thank you for the reply. What I find very intriguing is what is implicit in it. You seem to have suggested that I should have read your hubs just because you answered my queries and ignore works by those fellow hubbers and other writers who didn't do so. By 'peers' I meant all the fellow hubbers and other writers, not only those you took this term to mean.

1. relache profile image71

I don't know where you got the idea that I have been suggesting that you read just my Hubs because that is not what I have been saying.  However your chosen interpretation plus your skirting of the actual question definitely does provide an answer.  Not to mention the fact that only 12% of your Hubs are featured.

Good luck with your chosen methodologies, I suspect they will make you as content as your beliefs on marriage!

2. psycheskinner profile image83

She was not talking about her hubs, but *any* of our hubs.  You are a peer too.  By yourlogic you should be reading our hubs.

Unless you are all take and no give.

IMHO you are projecting a selfish motivation that is not there, suggesting the latter.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

I agree it's not well-expressed, but the intention is that the HubChallenges forum is the exception to the rule.

Whose views are right, yours or psycheskinner's ? Please reply giving reasons.

2. Prakash RnP profile image39

I'm still expecting to hear something more in this regard  from you. I'd also like to call your attention to psycheskinner's arguments for her view that my peers cannot be my readers, and the view that my peers don't expect me to be their reader. I really find it extremely difficult to accept the view that a writer shouldn't expect other writers to read his or her works or want to read works by other writers. What's wrong of a novelist to read a novel by another novelist or an actor to watch the performance of other actors?

4. profile image0
    epsonok0posted 10 years ago

I started a forum like that. I posed it different. I said explain one of your hubs and why you wrote it without listing a title or a link. I dont think that was wrong. But yes, comming to the forum to promote your self.. Well thats not what the forum is for.

1. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it achieves anything the effects are short lived.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

You neighbor can be your customer, but if you only ever advertise to you neighbor you are a very incompetent businessman.

6. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 10 years ago

If HubPages wanted us to promote our own hubs here in the forums (other than in the ones they say are for that purpose) why would their moderator's waste their time snipping out the 'offending' links.
    No need to reply it is just an observation.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)