Entire hub copied at blogger

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (69 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

I am afraid to put much info until I investigate further and take action. Check your own. The scraped one appears just below mine on page 1 for my keywords. At least it is not above mine. The culprit has Google+ authorship. His date precedes mine, as my update date is later. So now I have to prove mine was first before copy. Maybe I will forget about dates. Is it better to contact blogger or just send form directly to Google? This is first discovery in a while.I haven't been doing much checking.

1. Marie Flint profile image72
      Marie Flintposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I keep seeing these types of complaints at Hub Pages and wonder how much it would cost Hub Pages to instate a security system. The only time I copy someone's material is when I'm sending it back to them as a critique. The first time I learned I could do this, however, I was rather shocked. Anyone can copy anyone's material for any reason. So, if Hub Pages really cares, featured hubs should be protected.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure they would if it was possible, but there is no effective way to prevent it.

Marissa, it is possible, but secure sites use a different technology than Hub Pages uses here. You cannot select and copy such sites. You would have to type out the material word for word. This would greatly reduce the problem about which hubbers have been complaining. I invite you to Google "Marius Fine Art," for example and see if you can copy a picture directly from the website. This is the security Hub Pages would have to use, but it would probably cost hubbers a fee.

That site has disabled right-click, which will discourage casual copying but does not prevent theft.  I was able to copy all the text easily.  The images are a little harder - you have to know how to do it using a photo-editing program.  However if you know how to do it, it's a very simple trick and takes two seconds.

I'm not a hacker, so if I can do it, you can imagine that such measures are no barrier to thieves who are bent on stealing material.

The same technology can be applied to text.

You are correct that it will not prevent theft by those determined to do so; however, a security system would greatly reduce the occurrence.

1. Marketing Merit profile image93
                  Marketing Meritposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most of the copying is automated Marie and is done via a relatively easy process which is commonly referred to as auto-blogging. Even with the right click copy feature disabled, you are still able to view the 'page source' and copy from that.
                  However, most of the copying we are seeing is being undertaken automatically.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

No, it wouldn't.   The occasional "theft" of a Hub is nothing to worry about:  if it occurs, it's easily fixed by contacting the blogger concerned and explaining the rules to them.

What is a concern is the professional thief - as Marketing Merit says, they are not using copy/paste at all, they are using software which can easily circumvent the systems you mention.  Preventing copy/paste makes it harder for ordinary people to share quotes from your work, which can actually be counter-productive.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
            Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually they can take a picture of the desktop and people have other ways of getting around those sites. There is not one writing site that is safe.

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
          Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Snopes.com has their site secure and you can't copy and paste anything from them.

I just went to Snopes, picked an article at random and copied and pasted it no problem.

1. Shyron E Shenko profile image69

It would not work for me on any of the information that I wanted to copy to keep the information.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
        Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The reality is that if your Hub can be read, then it can be copied.

1. profile image0
          writingsoloposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can disable text selection!

2. danciasusilo profile image81
      danciasusiloposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry this happened to you. Wow.. Now I'm worried hmm Google should have a better plagiarism check

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
    4. Alison Graham profile image92
      Alison Grahamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@Brakel2 , don't worry about having edited a piece of work and a later date showing in your stats. Google will go by the date it was first indexed, not the date of any amendments. With regard to the date on the blog post, it is easy for a blog author to change the date that appears on posts to make them seem older (or newer) - but again, Google will go by the date the article was indexed there - whatever the post date says.
      Hope you get the problem sorted soon, looks like Marisa has provided good advice about how and where to report this.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

quildon,
        Take a quote or sentence from one of your hubs. Try to pick one that is uniquely in your voice, something another person probably would not express that way. The put it in quotation marks, front and back, and type it in your search bar. Click Search, and it will bring you to the site or spot where your copied content is. I hope you don't find any.

The copiers seem really lazy for the most part. I've had some copy only a few sentences or a paragraph out of a 3,000 word hub. It does hurt to see your own words taken by somebody else. If you can find them this way, email them at their site, and ask if they will take it down, because it was stolen from your work. I've made progress that way. Best wishes!

5. Matthew Meyer profile image71

For DMCA claims, contact the hosting site first, then if they do not respond you can file a claim with Google.  The claim with Google will not remove the infringing material form the site on which it is hosted, just from Google search results.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/how- … -complaint

1. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In this case, the host IS Google.  Google owns blogger/blogspot and the DMCA request must be made using the form Google provides for that purpose.

In this particular case, it's Blogger - so reporting to Google is the right thing to do.

2. brakel2 profile image74
        brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The blogger's name is Muhammad Mizzi. You might check further. I found one other hub copied, and I reported it to the hubber.

I'm sorry you are having all this trouble with plagiarism. These people are shameless!

My article that was on same page as scraper is now on page 1 for my keywords. The scraper's is no longer on that page, even though Google has not removed it yet. This is good news to me. Thanks Jean and all for the great comments about the blogger problem. Maybe the issue will get resolved, for now, anyway.

1. Alison Graham profile image92

Great news and really encouraging for the rest of us! Well done.

Thank you Alison. I guess we just need to keep fighting to get rid of these scrapers. It seems like HP had a bad year with this problem.

6. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image83
      SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 10 years ago

First contact the blogger and then report the matter to Google.

7. brakel2 profile image74

Google owns blogger.

I'm sorry this happened to you Audrey. I had 3 hubs copied, and was able to find and contact the people who stole them, and eventually they took them down. What really bothered me was that one of the hubs was one of my earliest written, and has always done very well. So that means people have been stealing hubs since early 2011. I don't even have the heart to check anymore. In the other two cases, they took certain paragraphs or a few sentences. It's so much paperwork to file, although it's better than having your hard work taken.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image61
      LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

The dates on Blogger can be manipulated. For instance on my blog home page, where i have the intro, each time I post on that page, the intro will be pushed to the bottom, but I can prevent it by continuing to change the date.

9. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 10 years ago

I have had things taken off blogger I reported to Google. When I have tried to contact the person it hasn't done much good in most cases but I do try.

1. alexadry profile image95
        alexadryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Same here, contacting the person never worked for me. They just don't care!

10. brakel2 profile image74

Thanks for your support and direction. I will be forever grateful. It gives me an idea about the direction to take. I sure do wish, as someone suggested, we could have a secure site with a high electric fence, at least better security. Lol. When I get all info I guess I will give his name to see if he has copied other hubs.

11. Nitin Pillai profile image60
      Nitin Pillaiposted 10 years ago

Can DMCA be used on hubpages?

12. profile image0
      writingsoloposted 10 years ago

Same thing happened to me--a hub from my other account was copied to a blogspot blog by someone called adorable17. Entire hub is copied as it is.
      You have to fill a form to report the theft, but it's complicated, and involves court and legal actions.
      Google penalizes sites for content theft, so she wont rank in search engine results (Google is pretty smart).
      The only problem is if I delete my hub and try to post it again, it'll probably be considered as copied content.
      This is my hub-- http://amazingthinker.hubpages.com/hub/ … ay-Forever

And this is her's on blogger - http://adorable17.blogspot.in/2013/08/5 … ep-it.html

The form isn't really that complicated and I have never had to get involved in court and legal actions.

Here is how to report to Blogger:

https://support.google.com/legal/troubl … 14905?rd=2

I've had many copies removed from Blogger blogs successfully, and all I did was submit the form.

Google doesn't always penalize sites for content theft, unfortunately - sometimes it's not very good at working out which one is the original.  Better not to take the chance.

1. Nitin Pillai profile image60
          Nitin Pillaiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I recently read an interesting post here: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthr … my-website

How does alibaba.com do it?

And this code prevents from right clicking on a website
            // ==UserScript==
            // @name          Anti-Disabler
            // @namespace     http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/greasemonkeyhks/
            // @description   restore context menus on sites that try to disable them
            // @include       *
            // ==/UserScript==

(function(){

with (document.wrappedJSObject || document) {
                onmouseup = null;
                onmousedown = null;
                oncontextmenu = null;
            }

var arAllElements = document.getElementsByTagName('*');
            for (var i = arAllElements.length - 1; i >= 0; i--) {
                var elmOne = arAllElements[i];
                with (elmOne.wrappedJSObject || elmOne) {
                onmouseup = null;
                onmousedown = null;
                oncontextmenu = null;
                }
            }

})();

2. Marie Flint profile image72

This is an interesting post, Nitin. Thank you for sharing. The code is a little overwhelming, but, if necessary, I will probably learn how to apply it. Again, thank you.

My pleasure Marie.

13. earner profile image82
      earnerposted 10 years ago

Hubpages used to flag up copied hubs in our accounts - I've not seen that occur for a couple of years now.  Do they still do it?  If so, why isn't the software finding the copies?  If not, why not?

You can't stop it - but it'd be nice to be alerted automatically as there's not enough time in the day to check every hub every week "in case" somebody's copied it.

14. profile image0
      ZachKaerposted 10 years ago

engrish

@ZachKaer..what?

15. quildon profile image74
      quildonposted 10 years ago

I've heard of people stealing other people's work off the internet. How do you check to see if your work has been stolen?

16. lovebuglena profile image84
      lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

Well your original publish date is before his so won't that make you the first publisher of the content?

17. brakel2 profile image74

Yes you are right about my publish date being first. I even have other ways to prove it. Thanks for your help.

1. enzo7 profile image60
        enzo7posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can use Archive.org to prove that you are the original author.

I hope it gets resolved in your favor soon.

18. brakel2 profile image74

Marisa and Writer Fox.  I am using the forms that Google needs for Blogger. Thanks for helping me.

19. brakel2 profile image74

Thanks Matt

If you try to get something removed at Blogger, be sure you sign in to Google and you put an http:// in front of the infringing URL if it is not there. Blogger URLs are different. Anyway, the offending person does not have many blogs, so I will check to see if any others of ours are there. Thanks for help.

I found a hub by Rajan Jolly copied as the first one I checked. I put some words from the scraper's  blog, and it came up. It is an article on water.

How do you check to see if yours or mine are copied.  I thought somehow that when we post on HP that our hubs a copywriten.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
              psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They are, but that does not in itself stop people from violating the copyright.

I know someone who had he article copied including the picture and the originator of the article was the one who was banned from HP

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71

Having your content copied from your Hub to another site by someone else without your permission is certainly not grounds to have an account banned.
                  Even in the cases of obvious and blatant duplication by an author on HubPages it is unlikely to be banned for one duplication offense.

If an author thinks there is a duplication moderation or warning that they believe is inaccurate, then they should contact us here and we can look into it further.
                  http://hubpages.com/help-wizard/

Alison Graham also had a hub duplicated by another hubber and could not get him to take it down.
                    I am sorry to tell you that I have found this hub copied in its entirety on this page http://healthweightloss123.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/ I found it because this site has also copied one of my hubs. I have filed a DMCA to get my copied page removed. Another hubbers hub has also been copied and I have informed him.

The message she left on that hub:
                    I am sorry to tell you that I have found this hub copied in its entirety on this page http://healthweightloss123.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/ I found it because this site has also copied one of my hubs. I have filed a DMCA to get my copied page removed. Another hubbers hub has also been copied and I have informed him.

that healthweightloss123 blog has been removed and just for clarity,  Shyron E Shenko, may I please correct your post, I left a comment on that hubber's hub to inform him that his hub had been copied on that (external) blog page - it was not another hubber who had copied mine - but a blogspot blog owner. I no longer leave comments to let other hubbers know if I find their work copied, I email them direct.

20. moonlake profile image82

I filed a DMCA with Google and they just removed one of my Hubs copied by a Blogger.

21. brakel2 profile image74

How long did it take? Was his name MM initials?

22. moonlake profile image82

I filed on 09/07/13 14:17:40 They removed my hub yesterday this site was on blogspot and it was called for cooking lover. They should have taken her down completely but they haven't. She has more recipes but I couldn't tell if any were from Hubpages. It looks like everything she has is copied.

This is outrageous moonlake! I am assuming you got an email about this from Google - you have the facility to reply to this as it may be an honest mistake at their end - after all, the process is done by humans who have to work very quickly.
        However, if it was not a mistake at their end, I am very concerned that the problem may have arisen here on hubpages was the hub in question every unfeatured and de-indexed as a result or, was the hub in question a hub on your subdomain that got reclassified as an editor's choice and therefore indexed on hubpages only recently?

23. dlfreelance profile image71
      dlfreelanceposted 10 years ago

Its possible, but the implementation is a pain. And never foolproof. I don't endorse copy right infringement and I will delete this later.

24. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 10 years ago

I have a new one, someone has copied my article and added it to the description of several videos on You Tube. They say they will be taking them down within a week (no idea why the delay) I had also filed a DMCA.

And they had the nerve to tell me to follow their videos smile

These are the people who copied it, maybe you might want to check and see if they copied any of yours:

http://www. youtube .com/user/WildFilmsIndia?feature=watch

Just remove the spaces, I don't want them getting any credit.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The same thing has happened to me.  Report it to Google so that there is a record of the plagiarism.

YouTube  is owned and hosted by Google.

Go to this link and check the item on the list: YouTube
        https://support.google.com/legal/troubl … 14905?rd=2

Follow the instructions from there to file the DMCA request to have them stop hosting the site.

Then, go to this link, sign in to your Webmaster Tools account, and fill out the form to have it removed from search engine results:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dmca-notice

When it has been removed, go to the first link again, choose Web Search, and have the cache copy  removed.

I would also leave a comment on the account that the text was plagiarized and give a link to your Hub.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I told them to remove it. That is when they suggested I subscribe to their videos smile

I have filed a DMCA, I'll do the other step right now

Thanks

25. brakel2 profile image74

Sorry, uninvited writer, for your problem. I know it can be frustrating and that. wilderness  had forty DMCAs at one time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)