Federal Websites Being Shutdown... Possible, but unlikely, broken...

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

...links. (Forum title parameters too short)

I just stumbled across this: "Unfortunately, the FTC is closed due to the government shutdown."

Let's start a collection. Who else can find a shutdown federal website? big_smile

Plus, any other pithy comments you may have concerning this shutdown mess, and how it could personally affect us.

Some of us may now have broken links because of this. Though hopefully not. Depends on whether the site has a message or is just outright shutdown and abandoned altogether. My guess is there is no uniform federal policy regarding this procedure. And the bureaucrats are capable of anything...

1. CraftytotheCore profile image74
      CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ha!  Maybe that's why I started getting strange phone calls on my private cell phone.  The Federal Do Not Call List can not be reached at this time!

2. cfin profile image64
      cfinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

USDA

1. cfin profile image64

Making it very hard to do my work and/or for someone to get a mortgage

3. tirelesstraveler profile image60
      tirelesstravelerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

United States Geological Society is not operating its earthquake website.  CA is still monitoring earthquakes, but the state people can't get their coffee, because the vender can't get in the Federally locked door.

2. brianlokker profile image96
    brianlokkerposted 10 years ago

The Library of Congress and National Archives websites, two sites that I use for research, are offline. The National Gallery of Art website is accessible, as of Wednesday evening.

1. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. This is affecting my students as well who use these sites---and many other government sites, to complete required course assignments.

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

AMTRAK is up!

4. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 10 years ago

Due to Congress’s failure to pass legislation to fund the government, the information on this web site may not be up to date. Some submissions may not be processed, and we may not be able to respond to your inquiries.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/administratio … ent-obama/

However, and I know people are stressing over this, the Being Biden audio series is still available for your listening pleasure.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/being-biden

The Health Insurance Marketplace is Open!

https://www.healthcare.gov/

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh my.
      Where IS Joe Biden anyway?
      He must have an underground hideaway for when there's controversy of any kind.
      No wonder, 'cause he's probably drinking heavily;  evidenced by his strange and unprofessional behavior during the Vice-Presidential debate with Paul Ryan,  it's no wonder.

Confirms my suspicion that Sarah Palin was soooo right when she asked what DOES the Vice President DO, anyway!?

1. profile image56
        Education Answerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what he really does either, but he is considered "essential" and thus receives a salary when many people do not.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

I'm seeing this on multiple sites, "Due to the lapse in government funding, only web sites supporting excepted functions will be updated unless otherwise funded. As a result, the information on this website may not be up to date, the transactions submitted via the website may not be processed, and the agency may not be able to respond to inquiries until appropriations are enacted. Updates regarding government operating status and resumption of normal operations can be found at http://www.usa.gov."

So, looks like there is some sort of standardization going on after all. I'm happy to report I've only found one outright broken federal link on my hubs. And that was a picture attribution.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

"Due to the lapse in federal government funding, this website is not available.
    We sincerely regret this inconvenience." - NASA

7. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

Does this mean that they are no longer reading our emails? smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In our dreams...

"Due to the Government Shutdown, this site is not being updated." - NSA

It's starting to be fun collecting and attributing these quotes. lol

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As  far as I know, the Israeli government is still fully funded!

US NSA Gives Israel Raw Intelligence on US Citizens

The National Security Agency openly shares unfiltered intelligence files with the Israeli government, according to a classified document leaked to the Guardian newspaper by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.

As the Guardian reports Wednesday, the NSA memorandum details an "intelligence-sharing agreement" between the two countries and shows that the "US government handed over intercepted communications likely to contain phone calls and emails of American citizens" to Israeli intelligence.

According to the Guardian, the agreement places "no legally binding limits" on how Israel could explore or handle the data.
      http://www.juancole.com/2013/09/intelli … rlain.html

8. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

Wherever I can I have been adding this statement, "It is time to start a grassroots movement to NOT elect anyone currently in Congress...Legislators and Representativs alike."

1. cfin profile image64

Or to create a third party, 4th party, fifth party, who do not require you to have a collective of morals and be obsessive over politics in a creepy way.

1. tillsontitan profile image82
        tillsontitanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A fresh, honest group!

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Till, I am in total agreement.   I have indicated repeatedly Democrats and Republicans are politics as usual.  They are in politics for THEIR own glory, not the constituents.  I see no one party better than the other.  It is the principle of the lesser of the two evils.   Let's start FRESH again and have a grassroots political movement in America.  It's ABOUT TIME.   These "politicians" are corrupt to the core; they talk out of BOTH sides of their mouths.  The older I become, the MORE I know that politics is gamesmanship and upmanship.   I DON'T trust any of them at  all!
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8222497_f248.jpg

1. tillsontitan profile image82
        tillsontitanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Should I say 'Hear hear" or "Amen"? Either way I agree 200%

9. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 10 years ago

NASA and all related sites are down. The NASA homepage reads:

"Due to the lapse in federal government funding, this website is not available.
    We sincerely regret this inconvenience."

10. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 10 years ago

Federal Courts are open for a couple weeks.

"Following a government shutdown on October 1, 2013, the federal Judiciary will remain open for business for approximately 10 business days. On or around October 15, 2013, the Judiciary will reassess its situation and provide further guidance. All proceedings and deadlines remain in effect as scheduled, unless otherwise advised. Case Management/Electronic Case Files (CM/ECF) will remain in operation for the electronic filing of documents with courts."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)