Hubpage Convention ever?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

I thought I read a few years back that there was a "convention" of hubpage writers.  If that's correct, how did that go?  Is another scheduled for the future?  What were people's feelings about meeting writers in person that they know only virtually? 

I'm wondering if hubpages should have a bumper sticker that says "I write on hubpages."  Then when we're tootling around in our cities, we could get an idea of how many others of us there are. 

I don't know if that would spoil everything.  I just thought of this while I"m procrastinating from real work I'm supposed to be doing right now.

Cheerio

Billie

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

When I first joined HP there was a forum for "meet ups" where Hubbers could arrange meetings and gatherings in their home areas, but it seems to have disappeared, perhaps the idea never caught on.

Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I take it then FFC that you never went to one of the gatherings.  I wonder what it would be like meeting fellow writers in one's same city.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nope, there were never any being held within a reasonable distance from me.

...I would've just drank all the beer and made an ass of myself anyway. big_smile

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

I've met other Hub authors several times, but most people will only do so if it takes almost no time and effort on their part.

Relache, ah, "no time or effort..." my mantra!  How did yo meet them?

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have a Hub exactly about that, but to link here would be self-promotional, so you'll have to go find it in my Hubs.

I HATE that overly promotional deal.  Am I alone in this?  It just doesn't seem to me to be good business practice.  I've had a website since 1992 and that concept here on hubpages seems either misguided or mis-communicated.  It's really counter-intuitive to success.  I get the rationale, but before I rant on and on, I'll have to visit that hub.  Thanks!

4. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 10 years ago

The community used to be really charged and people from all over the world have used the 'then' HP experience to make long term friendships, meeting up on Skype etc.  That environment effectively disappeared when certain key people and hubbers left and/or were negatively affected $wise by advertising and marketing strategic changes that were adopted on the site..

Some of us attempted to attract the attention of better looking hubbers, by wearing Hubpages Stickers on our foreheads.  Largely that wasn't very successful because many of us broke out in seriously bad spots, as a result of the cheap and nasty quality of the gum used on the back of the stickers!  sad

And then.....

Well.... a few of us avoided SE amputation and a whole lot of us didn't!  smile

Ha!  "some of us attempted to attract the attention of better looking hubbers..." Google actually seems to have replaced SE completely.  I put google content ads on my website and it not only picks up my content but the content of wherever my visitor went before.  It's actually a tiny bit scary.  Thanks Pearldiver (and are you really one?)  I'll have to check out your hubs.

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

I often chat with hubbers outside the site (email or Facebook) but living in Australia is pretty far sad

WryLItt,  smile  I guess Australia might be a few klicks too many to travel.  (I looked it up (tee hee).  Hope that's right.  Emailing!  Didn't exactly think of that! Cheers from Billie (a proud molly dooker) I sure HOPE THAT'S right smile

1. CraftytotheCore profile image75
        CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In the way past, I had met some people online and became friends with them.   I traded cookies with a few at Christmas.  It was fun.  I haven't lived close enough to anyone yet though to meet in person.

6. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

Crafty,  I keep forgetting about the meeting online and then becoming friends.  I guess I was thinking of a one time "convention" that I thought I had once heard of. We're all so, so busy.

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

They used to allow us to post links to our own hubs which answered questions all the time, but about two years ago, the forum moderation really shifted in regards to that. 

I have a hub that collects self-reported data on earnings, and it worked fantastically until the Shift came, and now I can't ask site users to contribute so it makes the data pool really worthless.  Of course, it also covers up how violently people's earnings have fallen and the departure of the majority of truly long-time site users....

I was just wondering today how many long-time users have left.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't run any in-depth analysis where I can give you figures, because it wouldn't be worth anything for me to do so, but based on some data-mining I do for my own curiosity and screen shots I've saved over time, it's rather significant.

Of course, the really interesting stuff will never be seen by users, ala an admin comment once about how many "big" users pulled down all their writing,... Then established new personas, never came to the forums or revealed themselves, and kept writing on the site.

Well that is certainly interesting. Thank you!

2. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
        Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed that not many of us are still around.  I almost left as well, but just took a hiatus to deal with family stuff.  When I came back, it was a completely different atmosphere around here.  I miss a lot of the people who are no longer around. 

I do remember a convention of sorts.  I think they had a few of them, in different areas across the country.  I know they had one down here, but I missed it.  I think I was out of town dealing with family stuff.  My family is the main reason why I took time off, it has been a stressful few years.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)