How to be successful without being a prolific hubber - Best practices?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Lauragowens profile image72
    Lauragowensposted 10 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to Hub. 

First a compliment. After coming off another content site, and researching others for a long, long time, it's a Godsend to come to a place that demands lengthy, quality work. I value quality articles over quantity, but here's my kicker.

I want some money. I know it takes a long time. I get that. I'm familiar with the online revenue model, SEO etc. But, I write rather slowly and am working on my blogs, essays etc. so I won't be posting a tremendous number of articles on Hub.

That being said, what's my best "formula" for increasing traffic, gaining some cents?

I signed up for ebay, amazon, adsense and hub earnings. I haven't plugged any products in yet because I was afraid to clutter up my article, but I will.

I'm really look for Best Practices for someone who won't be posting prolifically.

Ebay or amazon?

Tips?

Thank you smile
    Laura

1. MarleneB profile image91
      MarleneBposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Millionaire Tips that it is much easier said than done. I haven't made a ton of money on HubPages, but I earn enough to keep me here. I don't think I'll go anywhere else because I have learned that the more time and effort I put into writing and fine-tuning my hubs the more I earn. It is also important to participate in the HubPages community. You don't have to do a lot of participating, but just share and show support. For instance, if someone reads one of my hubs I am grateful and I show my appreciation by reading at least one of their hubs in return. I enjoy reading so it's a pleasure reading other writers here at HubPages.

When I prepare to write a hub, the first thing I do is go to Google and type in a search for the topic I'm thinking of writing about. Oftentimes, I'll type in the exact title I'm thinking of naming my hub. I pay close attention to the first three pages of search returns for that topic. If I see a flood of excellent information already available for a topic, I know that topic is saturated and for me to write yet another hub on the subject will be futile. Unless I can add a different twist on a topic I just don't write about it. On the other hand, if I see that there isn't a lot of information out there on the topic then I go for it. I do the research, write, and publish the hub as quickly as I can. That's my basic strategy and it works for me.

You don't have to write a lot of hubs, but the hubs you write should be informative and interesting enough that people can't help but engage with you about the content.

1. PegCole17 profile image95
        PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like this strategy and just tried it myself. I Googled a topic on which I was planning to write a hub and was happy to find my article from a different site had made it to the first page. The topic doesn't look to be too saturated so I guess I'll get busy writing a different version here.

2. Lauragowens profile image72
        Lauragowensposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, good suggestion. I for example, wrote about my shingles experience. Shingles is saturated on the web, as the incidence has risen. I now prefer to bring in my first person point of view on articles along WITH the research. It's clear to the reader that this is not an encyclopedic article, informative but very subjective as well. This is where I want my articles to go today, not strictly research-based as I did in the past. I also want to bring in my creative writing training I had last year (make it a story/narrative). With my shingles article I linked to mayoclinic.com for traditiional shingles information and to Dr. Mercola (who I follow) for his natural health take. Then I tied it together with what I did to treat my shingles (integrative approach, both traditional and alternative medicine) and some theories as to why shingles, some believe is on the rise.  This format has been far more fun to write than simply research-informative articles, but it takes longer.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My best advice is to write about what you already know and love. Then it won't take as much research and you can write the articles from experience. Of course it is still important to research your keywords. If the competition is stiff, it still will take a long time to earn some money.

I have earned more money from eBay than Amazon. Other writers earn more from Amazon. You'll have to experiment a little.

Thanks. Absolutely and I do but I do write what I love, and often know. But, I pull in experts and research to lend credibility and substance. I posted on another reply here that my twist is to bring in my first person point of view along with, the 2nd/3rd objective. I noticed that Suite101 who I used to write for changed their model (unpaid now) to ask writers to bring their OWN stories to the table. I think the experience-based content model in addition to experts, research findings, is quite new, relatively speaking. So as an example, someone could get information from Mayoclinic.com about shingles (that I just had and wrote about) but the first person point of view brings in subjective experience and recommendations, which I think is very valuable to readers.   The encyclopedic strictly objective article is everywhere, our story and our view is unique.

I'm having a hard time with the revamped Google Keywords. Do you know of a good free keyword tool? (to gauge traffic, competition), thanks.

1. freefogging profile image58
          freefoggingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have been doing the same thing you have...and find more people are viewing, shaing and commenting, so it is working, so far.

3. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In addition to all the wonderful advice: you must publish more than what you have been doing. The busier your account is the more traffic Google will send you. When a website takes a while to send out new content especially when it is new Google isn't quite sure if you are serious about building your site. What the big boss likes is to see new websites gradually build and send out fresh content.

In four months you have only two articles. In order for you to earn you would need to publish at least two articles per week.

Yes I kind of figured but to be honest with how long each article takes me and other writing  I do, not sure I can manage 2 a week, so I'll have to take the hit with Google Oz smile He-She likes to see quality content I hope, over quantity. When I was with Suite101 and they were deranked after Panda, I read a fair amount about Google's criteria. Hoping that quantity isn't one of them, but it sounds like it is.  What I hope I can do is take some old online content and refurbish it with new content, that I could do on a fairly regular basis.

1. Cardisa profile image87

It goes without saying that to make a good impression online and build your presence, quality must go hand in hand with quantity. While seeking to put out as many articles as possible without overdoing it you must pay attention to the quality of your work.

Quality does not necessarily mean lengthy. My 500 word article may have better quality than your 2000 word article.

Thanks! True, short quality articles can do the trick but doesn't Hub have a 1000+ word minimum? I'm pretty sure I won't get the volume I need to make the big bucks, but I'll build slowly.

1. Cardisa profile image87

HP has a 500 word minimum but they suggest at least 1250 for stellar hubs because they figure that longer articles do better. I have quite a number of successful hubs under 1000 words.

My most successful hub (daily traffic) is only 862 words. Most successful (most views) is only 713 words.

If I should increase the word count on these hubs it would be only fluff and that would take away from the quality. I would rather a short article with specific information rather than long fluffy hard to sift through articles.

Thanks Cardisa. My most successful article when I was with Suite101 was in the 600-800 range. The topic and novelty of the article ultimately pulls in. I tend to write longer because it's in my nature but I could increase volume with shorter. It's my research, takes me a while.

4. Hunbbel Meer profile image75
      Hunbbel Meerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you aren't going to write much here, then write intelligently. Pick the niches that you can be successful in (high search volume, lower competition and better knowledge/authority).

Use interactive capsules to create interesting and engaging hubs.

eBay or Amazon? No definite answer there. I think Amazon is a great association to be with. Mainly, because almost everyone trusts them, but their commission rate sucks.

Anyway, do your research and make the hub that is less likely to go down in the dumps (since you won't be writing many articles here, make sure to make everyone count). Most importantly, be consistent! Best of luck smile

Excellent advice. Thanks so much. I'm hesitant to put much advertising in minus the generated adsense that is pulling in some cents.

Do you have a free keyword tool you like? I've had a tough time with the new Google Keyword tool. I used to love it.

1. Hunbbel Meer profile image75
          Hunbbel Meerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Online writing is almost always about monetization, so don't be hesitant. Just make your hub clean enough with different formatting options and this won't be a problem at all smile

Unfortunately, no. I, too, used to be in love with the Google Keyword tool and I think it's all messed up now. But I guess it's the only reliable free tool we have. I'll have to research a bit about it; will let you know if I find something useful enough smile

Thanks so much smile

5. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My advice will be to start your own blog in a niche site, with high-quality posts. And don't forget to publish regularly, and focus on only a few social media to share your hubs.I've only focused on twitter to share my hubs and now I've over 14,000 twitter followers and nearly 1.8 millions pageviews.Don't think about money, instead pay attention to growing your traffic from the search engines.

That's a phenomenal accomplishment!

Thanks smile I actually do have blog and a website. The thing is I just have too many irons in the fire, trying out all sorts of things for several years which has been fun, but not lucrative. The reality is I have a multitude of interests under the big umbrella of "wellness, personal empowerment, psychology"  but ultimately my work boils down that I'm a writer first, and want to write great "stuff" in an informed, engaging way and then gain readers, money.

2. Jatinder Joshi profile image75
    Jatinder Joshiposted 10 years ago

Like you, I too am looking for replies to this question.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

The key is to write a high quality article about something everyone wants to read, but the information is not available on the web.  Finding the right topic and making sure to use proper keywords so that the search engines know that this is the article everyone wants to read is the key to making lots of money with just one (or a few) articles.  Much easier said than done however.

Thanks. Yes. I"ve been working with SEO for quite a while now, since my Suite101 days and when I developed a website and blog in personal empowerment, mind-body, natural health, psychology.  My focus is absolutely above all, quality and novel information. My "twist' I hope to bring sometimes is second/third person with my first person view as well. I'd like to write highly researched articles and add my "experience inspired" (that's my tagline in my profile) information. This isn't the traditional article I used to write (third person only, objective, citing only research) because I feel strongly that in addition to the research findings and expert citations, my subjective and experience (sometimes) can add depth to the article and take away, I hope.

1. freefogging profile image58
        freefoggingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you...I write on what I have had since 2007...fibromyalgia, fatigue, sciatica, chronic pain, bipolar disease etc...I add my personal experiences and people seem to like that...I do this on my fibro blog..the problem is, with all these diseases, I can't write fast, so quality is definitly my goal, when I am feeling good at least!

I think it's wonderful that you share your journey, no matter how long it takes. The testimony and support from another who has suffered and is now healing, goes yards farther than the finest gold standard Mayo et al can offer for healing.  I've since cured or undiasnosed my fibro (I think it wasn't that).... and am working on adrenal fatigue-insomnia....both tied into what I recently learned is likely a histamine intolerance (which will cause all SORTS of ick).... check out lowhistaminechef..... her journey. You might see some sneaky culprits for fibro symptoms et al.

2. weavesandbraids profile image73
      weavesandbraidsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This covers it all.
      Find that magical topic everyone is searching for and no one has written on.
      Write a stellar hub and you are done.
      Good luck with that though

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

You have to work for it. I get most of my traffic by participating actively in social media for example. Most of my readers come from there over Google.  The honest truth is the most prolific writers have the best shot at getting the best earnings. If you can't or don't want to develop a lot of content, then do a lot of research in advance and write in niches that are popular, but not overdone (a tall order at times).

Thanks. I''m very active on social media, at least in terms of posting articles, not necessarily participating, except over at CafeMom.  Popular but not overdone. I'm wondering which fit that bill. Mine are likely popular AND overdone. My topics span natural health, psychology, social trends, personal development.

5. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Marlene. Do you use Google Keyword Planner?  Any other tools?  I know you are good.

Thanks Marlene. I did. I'm having issue with GKP now and need a new one, ideas? Free.

6. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

Quality not quantity. You can make $100 off a great hub but 20c off 100 terrible ones.

Thanks. That's my hope smile

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

By quality I don't mean just content, either. If you write a 2,000 word hub on how to lose weight or "My Pretty Garden", no one will see them. The first is too saturated, the second no one Googles.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Content is almost always a volume business.  Quality is great.  But if you only every write a handful of hubs it is unlikely that they will make a lot of money.  If you know how to write low volume extremely high income webpages, self-hosting is generally a better strategy.

I find one page Blogger blogs do very well big_smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

All of my attempts at that have been abysmal failures.

Should I try again? Maybe the problem is my poor choice of topics?

I go for topics I think people will be Googling. Lists. Questions. Reviews. Etc

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
            paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.

My throwaway hubs certainly didn't work.

Next worthy list, review, or question (with my own brilliant, extensive answer) that I think of, I'll give it another shot.

8. EGamboa profile image75
    EGamboaposted 10 years ago

I'm just starting out here…Hub gave my first article a score of 84, I published it about 24 hours ago, and have about 100 views. Can anyone that's got to the receiving revenue point, throw out some guestimation numbers. I realize I have to keep publishing, my first goal is to hit 15 articles. what should my views-goal be on an articles…how many (months?) before a high-scoring (score?), high-trafficked (views?) hub gets serious, money making attention?

9. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Spam-a-dee-spam, marvelous spam, wonderful spaaaaaam!

10. misslong123 profile image83
    misslong123posted 10 years ago

Learning by studying expert hubbers is a great way to be successful. Studying the learning center and finding out how others are successful will certainly give you great advice. It is important to make sure you get advice from actual successful hubbers though. I typically observe how many followers they have, how many hubs they have written, and what kind of advice they give in hubpages. I have found that taking the time to really study key words I don't know but should and filling a notebook full of checklists, suggestions, advice, and ways to be a successful has greatly increased my knowledge of this website and of how to make money.

Some keywords you may want to research would be: make money, success on hub pages, keyword research, SEO, content development, hub topic choices, checklists, Google, adwords, trends, search engines, experts, backlinks, promotional blurbs, marketing, grouping hubs, linking hubs, and title tuner. Keep on hubbing! ~Michele

Thanks Michele, all good tips. Yes, I always believe in finding mentors in any field and learning from their successes (and mistakes, equally as important!).  I like your idea of starting a notebook. I have files of articles, tips, but to have ONE place, nearby, good idea.

11. profile image0
    loseraspieposted 10 years ago

Welcome to HubPages Lauragowens. I recommend Amazon AdSense. It's OK that you write slow. You should take your time when you want to write a hub.

Thank you smile I didn't become a writer to make money (although...I DO want to make money) the moolah is merely a wonderful side effect to my forever passion).   I figure since I'm among seasoned hubbers I should get all the good advice I can get.

12. my-zone profile image66
    my-zoneposted 10 years ago

Keep writing engaging content and post regularly to increase traffic & earnings

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)