Punitive measures by Obama. This is over the top. He must hate me.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Obama Administration Forces Hundreds of Privately Funded Parks to Close Amid Shutdown
    By Diane MacedoPublished October 03, 2013FOXBusiness
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/government/2 … -hundreds-
    privately-funded-parks-to-close-amid/

Why would any man order such a thing? How wrongful can Obama get. These parks were, are paying the government. And their parks are awesome and provided jobs and benefits to the communities.
    These orders came direct from the White House not the agencies.

I now can feel confident that Obama is to blame for our shutdown. No one could act this evil and spiteful hurting citizens for political gain like this without being seriously misguided.

Perhaps those of us with kids that camp should start putting together care packages for the families so abused by the White House.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The link doesn't work.

I can only speculate without the link, but shutting down independently funded parks coincides with the purpose of the general shutdown: to show everyone how politically powerful those involved are.  To convince everyone that the other side is wrong.  To sling mud on the other party and show them to be evil.

Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness, Here is another one that shows 32 sport programs shutdown even though independent revenues from football pays for them.

"Football revenue funds Navy's 32 other sports teams."

hopefully this works for the link: http://www.foxbusiness.com/government/2013/10/03

http://news.yahoo.com/navy-set-weekend- … --spt.html

The first doesn't work, the second says Army, Navy, etc. will be playing football this weekend.   ???

That is the article but reading it shows that Obama shut down other programs that the gov. did not fund.

2. Ericdierker profile image45

Yes they did indeed shut down or move that link.
          It was about private parks that lease government land and pay rent being shutdown on orders direct from the White House, One group the police evicted from places they stay and live within the parks.

Were I renting a piece of land from Uncle Sam and he suddenly declared I could not have access to it because the govt. shut down there would most definitely be a lawsuit in the making.  For one day's rental, loss of income, pain and suffering, illegal eviction or anything else I could dream up.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Without reading the article, I do have to say that while those parks may be funded in part with private money, the staff (including security and maintenance) are paid with federal funds.

1. profile image52
        AnalogousMethodposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're wrong. These are privately-managed. They have no federal employees, no federal staff, and no federal funds. They actually generate revenue and that goes to the government.

I wonder who pays to insure the parks when they are closed. I wonder who pays electricity and water which must be kept on for fire prevention.

Probably the renter.  It would for anything else.

Interesting question. The insurance aspect is interesting as is the question of Force Majeur
              hope this link works: http://ppp.worldbank.org/public-private … le-clauses

Although Obama will certainly disagree, I certainly do not see it as a Force Majeur.  "Beyond the control of the Authority and the Operator [government] does NOT mean actions resulting from fully voluntary actions of that Authority [government].

Government shut down government.  That it was begun by a small number of politicians is irrelevant, as is that it took half the politicians to implement it or stop it.  Government, the signing entity, the "Authority" referenced, did it without outside force being used.  Not Force Majeur.

2. profile image52
            AnalogousMethodposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The management company handles everything. Just one of these companies employs something like 700 people, and those people can't work now, for absolutely no reason. They weren't closed because the government shut down, they were closed because the Obama administration is trying to hurt people so they can blame it on the Republicans.

1. bBerean profile image60
              bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The sequester shut down white house tours?  That says it all.

3. Electro-Denizen profile image80
      Electro-Denizenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It looks like someone on the inside, deep inside the system, wants the gov't as we know it to go kaput - put that alongside the endless printing of money which we now have (dubiously called 'quantitive easing' - and which even 1st year Economics students are warned about) to prop up the economy (from the completely unpayable debts)... and what we have is... something not very pretty, but also highly engineered...

I hate to admit it, but this combined with Obama's tactics of saying the Republicans will cause us to default is kind of pursuasive.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

All the people who aren't going to get their paychecks to take care of their families, federal employees who are now stranded in foreign countries without the funds to pay their rent, children whose head start programs are closed, and others who are fighting deadly diseases and are being turned away from treatment - and your greatest concern is going to a park?  Seriously?  The House could reopen the government with a single vote.  All the rest of it is theater.

Kathleen, these parks pay the government to operate -- that would be revenue. Get it. The family in France or the head start program is an expense - get it? your argument belongs someplace else.
      And what about the families of the closed privately run parks -- they do not count?
      I am not talking about the shutdown here though. I am talking about senseless hurtful administration conduct.
      I hope you understand the difference between shutting down something that requires funding and Gov. employees and shutting down something that does not and actually pays the Gov.

Cannot agree that it is senseless.  The clear intent is to cause as much ill will against the R party as possible - the more people hurt and the worse the hurt, the more ill will.  It's a political game, at least as bad as the original blackmail.

But how can someone now blame that on either party? It is clear that it is now completely bi-partisan. I guess finally the politicians have something they can get together on.

I never said it made sense, only that it is what we see.

Blame the R's because they blackmailed Obama to get rid of Obamacare.

Blame the D's because they didn't give in to the blackmail and (most reasonably big_smile ) put off Obamacare for only one more year.  Or, after one year, whatever more it takes until the R's have a majority large enough to get rid of it completely.

Blame everyone but the politicians that comport themselves as little children that can't play together .

2. Act 3 profile image76
      Act 3posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right on target Kathleen. There is a lot of theater in this forum thread, too!

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

I think my argument is right where it belongs, and there seems to be no shortage of misunderstanding on anything pertaining to this subject.  Get it?

Yep I do get where you are coming from.

4. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 10 years ago

Not closing parks near Democratic senators’ houses.

Sources tell TheDCNF that Lincoln Park in D.C., which maintained by the NPS, was not closed down, nor were any signs put up that indicated it was closed due to the government shutdown. According to the same source, it’s close to the homes of “quite a few” Democratic senators, and the source has previously seen Montana Democratic Sen. Max Baucus walking in the park.

While Lincoln Park remains seemingly open for Baucus and other senators to go for a walk, national parks all across Montana have been closed down and thousands of tourists have been turned away.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/02/seven … z2ghU98TSW

5. Seth Winter profile image81
    Seth Winterposted 10 years ago

In my area we have Whiskeytown Lake which is Federal. They shut the entire place down. All the hiking trails, beaches, etc. They still have the same number of rangers on driving around giving people tickets who try to use the lake or hiking trails. The shutdown is designed to hurt the people plain and simple.

6. profile image0
    alexsaez1983posted 10 years ago

I think this whole thing is disastrous. I'm glad I live in Canada where people don't start calling each other communists/fascists just because they have different political views, and there's a consensus about providing healthcare for all. Sadly, this shutdown could eventually affect things up here, the way George Bush's little economic foul-up caused an educated guy like me to work retail for lack of jobs.

It's not that this shutdown is meant to hurt the people, but rather it's a way to make the other party look bad. The people are simply collateral damage in a pissing match between a child who can't stand losing and another child who can't get anything done.

7. Wayne Brown profile image81
    Wayne Brownposted 10 years ago

I just heard a gentleman on the radio today .  He operates a hotel concession on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  The Parkway is open and patrolled but he has received word from the Federal government that he must shut down even though the government does not expend one dime for his doors to be open.  He has refused and now Park Rangers are blocking the entrance to the hotel so that they cannot do business.  The man has potential customers and the Parkway remains open but the government refuses to allow the business to function.  The business employs 100 people who will receive no pay because they government continues to call the presence of the Park Rangers out front "essential services"  This is indicative of the game being played by Obama and Company to bring pain to the lowest level and paint the conservative side of the aisle wrong.  It is amazing what happens when someone attempts to bring some level of fiscal responsiblity to this federal government.  It is also quite amazing what the government can get away with when someone is operating a concession on government lands.  ~WB

I spoke with a die hard Democrat today. And they are still blaming Republicans for this kind of nonsense. Wow! These closures of operators that take no services and pay the government is so bizarre and yet wacky partisans just refuse to see that Obama is not required to shut down concessionaires and it has in fact never been done.. Head shaking is the rule of the day.

8. hfortinberry profile image61
    hfortinberryposted 10 years ago

This may seem out of place, but let me expound to you the inner workings of our Commander-in-Chief.  How could I know that? you may ask.  Well, let me tell you that i was married to a sociopath for ten years and it wasn't until eighteen years of living around him, due to the fact that we share a son, that his condition became apparent.  I won't go into the details of my sordid life, but I will say that the games that are being played out are games that I myself have lived.  Sociopaths cannot lose; they have to win at someone else's expense.  This is a primary motive.  There is no reasonableness in a sociopath because they cannot empathize with others; they are born without the fundamental ingredient that makes humans distinctly different from other species.  They lack conscience, and therefore have very little opportunity to actually be self-aware.  They instead flit from one crisis to another crisis (I lived it!) because they really have no ability to think about consequences, personal or otherwise.  The only thing that they know how to do is manipulate and lie to their constituents, which are referred to as their accomplices, which always turn into their eventual victims.  They act like their constituents are their best friends, and joke with them, belittling others who may have become suspect of their lies (sound familiar?), but because they have no empathy, they can easily turn on these same people if they should wise up and become suspect as well.  They become angry and will become passive aggressive, like what is going on with the parks, etc. right now.  They inflict as much passive pain so that their enemies will be blamed.  I've lived it all, and didn't know what was going on.  You CANNOT expect any reasonable response from them, because they really are not human, they are lacking in that department. Anyway, welcome to my life of lessons learned and my perspective

Very interesting comparative analogy. Very strange conduct. And I dare say it seems to fit your pattern.

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ORRRRRRRR...

A sociopath is someone who cannot naturally empathize, so they have to rely on their knowledge of culture and social norms to guide them rather than their unconscious mind. Heck, even most autistic people (including high-functioning types like myself) are sociopaths, because their brains don't develop empathy (or many other useful social tools) as the rest of you do. It just means that we have to rationalize empathy to ourselves rather than experience and act on it automatically. Thus, a sociopath raised largely in solitude without being taught societal norms will naturally behave without adherence to societal norms.

3. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That sounds a whole lot more like the 80 Republicans who signed that letter.

1. Electro-Denizen profile image80
        Electro-Denizenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

yup, it does

9. hfortinberry profile image61

I'm sorry, you're right.   When you live with certain behavior, it becomes glaringly obvious to you.  But I am sorry.

10. hfortinberry profile image61

Please read "The Sociopath Next Door" by Martha Stout, Ph.d; it may help you to know that I am not alone in my analysis.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)