What is your coping mechanism?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (84 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Power struggles at work? Broken relationships? Trying to make ends meet?

What is your go-to?

1. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

(Laughter + Fun + Exercise)^10

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah... humor is mine too. Jogging was mine in my teens... I have slowed it down to walking. lol

2. Joel Okimoto profile image61
        Joel Okimotoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I find exercise is a very helpful way to let out anger and energy.

2. s4y g00dby3 profile image62
      s4y g00dby3posted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it is a broken relationship, then you just learn and move on. You cannot change how others feel, nor would you want to. As far as coping with anything else, understanding goes a long way. It might not come from inside of yourself, it may come in the form of written word, a song, or even a quote. Speaking of quotes, one of my favorites is very applicable here - blessed are the forgetful: for they get the better even of their blunders. - Nietzsche smile

3. Marie Flint profile image72
      Marie Flintposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I use the Violet Flame, a transmutation flame, of the Holy Spirit: I AM a being of Violet Fire! I AM the purity God desires! This vibrational fire immediately changes all negativity into positive polarity and feels great.

4. Rik Ravado profile image86
      Rik Ravadoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is a very timely thread for me (Thanks Beth for starting it).  A power struggle at work is my crisis.  I've been hanging in there (for the money) when I should have quit long ago.  My boss, who I trusted, totally stitched me up this Monday so I have resigned.  This is OK as I'm in a position to do my own thing.  My problem is the hurt and sense of betrayal and injustice.

I've been waking up in the night thinking how I can get even or how I can get justice.  One morning I was driving to work and the words came to me, "Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past for behold I am doing a new thing." (This is a verse from Isaiah 43).  The strange thing was instantly much of the hate and anger disappeared as I thought about new things and all the possibilities.

When I think about work, I say the verse a few times and I immediately I stop thinking about it.  For those without faith it sounds lame, and I'm not one to share my faith often, but in moments of crisis it works for me.  When God says "Forget the former things do not dwell on the past," I KNOW it makes perfect sense!

1. profile image0

Wow that was good. Forgiveness appears to be a daily thing.

5. AnnaCia profile image77
      AnnaCiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Singing aloud and dancing.  The best!!!

1. profile image0

That's true too. I guess we all use lots of the same coping mechanisms.

6. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For anger and anxiety, heavy duty exercise does the trick.  It leaves me too tired to be angry or anxious, plus the high afterwards makes me feel better.

7. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, Beth....This is an interesting question for me at this time in my life.   Had I attempted to answer this, as few as 20 years ago, my comments would have been entirely different.
      My point being, it's not only true that we mellow with age....it's a total natural shift, predetermined in our DNA.  Just believe me on this.
      I'm retired, so I have no "power struggles at work."   Relationship issues, are Ancient History.......(and in hind sight, a complete and utter waste of time & emotion).....Because I am and always have been, a financial wizard.....my ends always meet.....because I'll have it no other way, regardless of what I must do or How I must do it...(legal, of course.)
      COPING is pretty much a non-issue for me these days.   I do nothing I choose not to do...and give myself permission to do what makes me happy and at peace.  I, long ago, learned to avoid toxic individuals, speak my mind and stand up for my rights.  I politely but bluntly tell people that if they're favorite thing to do is gossip, they need to find someone else to talk to.   
      The moment I feel a case of the blahs coming on, I give myself a pep talk, take  serious inventory of the many blessings in my life, go for a walk, grab a book or sit at my sewing machine....just KEEP occupied, doing things I enjoy and give my spirit a boost.
      When faced with anything problematic, I will seek out a trusted friend and exchange intelligent solutions....gather up all my strength, wisdom and common sense....and work at it, head first, like the "Aries" (ram) I am, until I'm satisfied with the outcome.    Coping mechanisms are learned through time, trial and error.  When we find what works......we also find there's much less to need to cope with at all!.......smile...........

1. profile image0

Good for you! I hope to be there someday too!
        And I admire your above statement more than you know.

8. Doodlehead profile image48
      Doodleheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yogurt cinnamon pretzels have never failed to provide solace.

1. profile image0

wow, that sounds *too good.

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

Anger. If something scares me or worries me, I get pissed at it, which gives me the push I need to overcome it.

1. profile image0

That's interesting. I can see how that would work.

3. kineticpoet profile image58
    kineticpoetposted 10 years ago

Yoga and revenge fantasies.

1. profile image0

Do you plot them out in your mind or is this like an online game?

1. kineticpoet profile image58
        kineticpoetposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just in my mind lol

1. profile image0

Ill do my best never to cross you.

4. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Exercise and meditation - sometimes a night out with friends to just get away from whatever it is. Fresh eyes see better solutions and all that.

1. profile image0

True.

5. My Mind Speaks profile image60
    My Mind Speaksposted 10 years ago

Usually for me it's time alone (akin to a cat licking it's wounds I guess lol.) Ironic because I'm such a dog lover =p I feel that it's helps me "recharge" my energy after going through a negative situation. Music usually helps me as well. For me stuffing it down doesn't work (the repressed feelings always come back much worse, & I have no choice but to deal with them.) I've also tried channeling & turning it into a different feeling, a more constructive one and unfortunately for me it does not work either.

I have to actually "feel" the raw emotion, come to term with it, accept it & then move on from it and most importantly take something from it & "learn" from it in some way, shape, or form. I have learned (& usually stick to) a "time limit" (it really depends on the depth of the particular situation though.) I let myself wallow, be miserable, sulk, cry, scream, be dramatic, be a bitch, eat ice cream etc. Whatever I feel I need to do to express my inner feelings about it, or in some situations morn over it. Then I remind myself to take something from it, even if it's something I feel it will be insignificant in my future compared to other life lessons, I must take something from it. If I can learn and take something from it, then I feel I can take my internal "power" back & I will be a better person for it...then I can reemerge.

1. profile image0

I need to learn to do that, but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it.

1. My Mind Speaks profile image60
        My Mind Speaksposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Give it time <3 Maybe there are other lessons that (for some reason or another) you are destined to learn now & other coping mechanism that you are destined to try first.  Remember everything in life is a lesson, especially the hardest, most heartbreaking times.

"You can only control what you can..." Best advice I was ever given.

6. Jimmys Money blog profile image60
    Jimmys Money blogposted 10 years ago

Great question...mmm, sometimes shouting helps (as long as no one can hear you!)...Driving out of the car park after a days work - especially on a Friday:-)...A nice cold beer (or 3).

1. profile image0

Car park? Is that a British term?

Oh... parking lot. You mean, just leaving work helps?

7. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Just now I had an almost panic attack as my husband announced that an unnamed person whom we all know is going to run for President. I am recovering by typing to slow my breathing. I was happy when I saw this topic. I hate talking politics. I need a good joke book. I am almost calm now.

1. profile image0

lol. Im glad we were here for you.

8. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Letting it go with prayer, realizing there is only so much control I have over people and things. After I fret a little, I pray and push forward and handle it with a better attitude that all will be well.

9. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 10 years ago

A walk in nature nearly always helps me, especially if my dog is with me.

10. profile image0

In the end, that's all we've got Jan. smile

So Alicia, you have achieved a 100 in this day and age of HP's. Woot woot!

1. AliciaC profile image94
      AliciaCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Beth37.

11. prospectboy profile image87
    prospectboyposted 10 years ago

Music is one of my biggest ones these days. I just listen to music that relates to how I'm feeling, and it makes me feel that there are others out there that can relate. I also go jogging, or I'll watch a video that makes me laugh. People really underestimate the importance of laughter. It's one of the healthiest habits we can engage in.

1. profile image0

Music and laughter... absolute best!

2. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1 hey there prospectboy.

1. prospectboy profile image87
        prospectboyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree Beth37. Hey there Jan!

12. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

I sleep.  My Mother always told me things would be better in the morning.  And usually they are.

I wrote a hub on this subject, if you are interested.  It's one of my most often read.  (Is that an official term?)

1. profile image0

You are absolutely right. It reminds me of a biblical teaching that God's mercies are new every morning.
      I'd love to read your hub. smile
      I looked thru them all, didn't see it. What's the title?

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
        Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm Angry - Don't Mess With Me

13. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Quitting my 9 -5 and working full time from home doing what I want when I want. Choosing which clients I work with. If a client is too difficult I let them go.

So I kinda forgot what work stress is like, but if a project is bothersome, I play with my dog or watch some Korean dramas. They usually relax me.

The relationship part. I pretend to be upset to get what I want. Works every time. tongue

1. Rik Ravado profile image86
      Rik Ravadoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm with Cardisa.  Its time to work for myself and do things my way.  Its great to have the freedom to be independent of corporate life! smile

14. Tom Mukasa profile image68
    Tom Mukasaposted 10 years ago

Denial shock as in being stubborn and false knowledge that am invincible is what I avoid.I have seen many who are still in denial even when they are  facing troubles. I shed a tear,I get disappointed, I think harder,I let pain get to me but.......I know I have to get over the trouble and live on.

1. profile image0

So you face it head on. I wonder how many ppl are that strong.

15. spartucusjones profile image90
    spartucusjonesposted 10 years ago

Wearing a luchador mask and $5 poncho.

16. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 10 years ago

I've found that hitting negative people with a stick does the job for me...

unless of course they are out of reach..

Then I just use a paint ball gun  smile

17. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

"What is your coping mechanism?"

None. I just keep plodding along.

18. Heather Says profile image93
    Heather Saysposted 10 years ago

Okay.  Confession time.  Baking.  DIY projects.  Hubbing.  Seriously.  I had a giant, we'll say "psychological break" and almost lost my husband/marriage in the process.  I was refinishing a giant china cabinet earlier this year when it all happened, and I say that it and HP saved my life because before, during, and after everything (including twice attempting to end my life) I was always saying, "I have to finish this cabinet for a Hub I want to write."  Imagine that.  I never wrote the hub, but began Hubbing again in full force.  I can't control everything.  I can't fix everything.  But I can make this awesome cake and make an awesome hub about it.  I probably sound like a total weirdo but I shared in case this could be helpful to at least one someone smile

1. profile image0

That makes a lot of sense to me. I wrote about that in some hub I wrote... can't remember the name... the girl has black eyes. Anyway, at the end, I give a strawberry bread recipe from another hubber and tell ppl to just have one goal. Goals are good. (Im glad you're all still with us.)

19. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

I come to the HP forums and post outrageous Sh#t that no rational human being would say to another face to face.It's quite cathartic actually...and It's a brake from my occupation as a life coach/yoga/meditation/bulsh#t artist.
    See what I mean?...now I feel much better....

1. profile image0

Ack! Ive been going back and forth for like 2 minutes... should I mention Break/Brake? What a quandary!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I recently read something about a person on a roller coaster that lost its breaks. Scary in so many ways.

1. profile image0

No, no! That's a good thing. You don't want your roller coaster to be broken.

20. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

Yes, but the grammatical usage was scary.

1. profile image0

Eh, it was probably just a cheap trick.

21. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Scratch a hubber and find a schoolmarm. And that is just the men.

1. profile image0

Stand in the corner.

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You will need to point the way through the chalk dust, lol.

1. profile image0

Walk until you hit your head on both sides, then stop.

22. Will Apse profile image88

You look remarkably like a caryatid today.

They are the Greek ladies that the ancients liked to rest a pediment. Or sometimes a lintel.

Mind you, I bet you still have a nose.

1. profile image0

I find you endlessly interesting.
      I admit I had to look us cryatid although I wouldn't have needed to had I finished your post first.
      Mind you, even with the definition, the implication wasn't fully understood. Was it a compliment or an insult? One is never sure with you.
      I don't like to brag, though I do indeed have a nose.

Sorry, I shouldn't start conversations that I cannot finish. Problem is I am busy at the moment, and I only get into these forums at the end of the day.

Anyway, caryatids...

Caryatids
        http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Caryatids_on_the_south_porch_of_the_Erechtheion.jpg/450px-Caryatids_on_the_south_porch_of_the_Erechtheion.jpg

Queen Beth wins the nose war.

1. profile image0

And I have both my arms...

You were too quick in your reply, lol. Having posted, I decided that I would probably have to do a quick Photoshop to be convincing.

So now you will never become one with the Erechtheion.

1. profile image0

I don't mind... Im not really fond of seeing my face quite that clearly.

Not many people get mistaken for caryatids these days. FIne upstanding women that they are.

By the way do you know where the word 'laconic' comes from?

And would you ever think of yourself as inclined to be laconic, from time to time?

1. profile image0

Let me just do something real quick... Im not googling that word you just posted.

23. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 10 years ago

Solitude. It is my coping mechanism. I must step back/out and gather myself. Whether it be going outside and sitting alone, taking a walk by myself, or taking a long hot bath, going within has saved my sanity more than once. I find that in doing so I gather strength, courage, and the will to plod on. For me, solitude is imperative to have diligence.

Great question, Beth.

1. profile image0

Yes. That is a solid mechanism. Do you ever feel like it is a detriment?

1. profile image0
        MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For me, it is not detrimental. However, I find that it is sometimes misunderstood. Some think that all people that turn inward are doing so to be hateful, spiteful, or difficult and feel spurred by it and I'm sure there are some that may do just that, but for me, it is not. It is what keeps me from overreacting in many instances and it gives me time to think things over and contemplate things full circle. In my younger days, I was very hot-headed, had a short temper at the drop of a hat, etc. but the older I become, the more I realize that in order to save my sanity (and a possible assault charge lol) I must find a way to cope. Finding solitude and a quiet space for awhile, to step back and think things through, has been very helpful for me.

1. profile image0

I went to an extreme and isolated for 3 years. I still find I prefer it, but for a mom with a family, it wasn't a good mechanism.

1. profile image0

Yes, I see how extreme isolation and solitude is very detrimental and probably safe to say, quite unhealthy. I've found a good place within solitude though, I'm very fortunate. When I feel like I'm nearing my breaking point, I resort to some good ole "me" time as I mentioned in my earlier post. It's not always easy to do with a family but I manage more often than not to squeeze in at least a walk or a hot bath when I know I have things to sort out. Sometimes, it takes more than doing any one thing than at other times, of course but over-all I've found that even the small "breaks" add up.

24. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 10 years ago

I read and read more and try to learn and learn more; I ask questions; I gather information.

1. profile image0

I love reading, mbuggieh. It's a great way to unwind and take the mind off of things for sure. One of my favorite things to do smile

25. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

I don't have a very good coping mechanism, I'm afraid.  It seems to consist mostly of escapism.  Escape into the distractions of the Internet, whether here, on FaceBook and a couple of its games; games on my Nook; (I love reading, but no more budget for buying books--even e-Books cost a lot more than they should, and more than they were represented to cost when I bought the Nook)...

I've taken to watching marathon sessions of certain TV shows with hubby....and that's about it.  Can't afford to go out to eat, or even for a "cuppa" these days...Hubby has no stamina on account of his health, so I'm the sole caretaker, and if I go out to take care of me, it's alone, and I've never been good at being alone...it's no fun to go for a walk or to the park, or anything without company, someone to talk to, or share the discoveries... "Oh, look at THAT!"  .....

1. profile image0

Our lives sound a little bit similar. If you were my neighbor, we would have fun. smile

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Beth...
        Thanks!

;-)  ...  I wish there were "like" or "thumbs up" buttons on the forums....  ;-)

1. profile image0

I wish that too.

26. profile image0

In real life, Im a bit more laconic... a word which I totally know the meaning of.
    I am always the life of the party... except when Im hiding somewhere in someone's yard.
    Women... we're a screwy bunch... with or without our noses.

27. Will Apse profile image88

A laconic phrase is a concise or terse statement, named after Laconia (a.k.a. Lacedaemon [Greek Λακεδαίμων]), a polis of ancient Greece (and region of modern Greece) surrounding the city of Sparta proper.

A laconism is a figure of speech in which someone uses very few words to express an idea, in keeping with the Spartan reputation for verbal austerity.

Someone collected the sayings of the women of Sparta, but they mostly they do not work in the modern world. They wowed the Athenians, though.

1. profile image0

I want so much to wow you with a one word response, but I don't have it in me.

28. Will Apse profile image88

Only a cup of hot cocoa is going to wow me at this point, in the evening.

Good night.

p.s. don't be unkind to the atheists tonight. They are people too, you know.

1. profile image0

You've wounded me to the core.
      Good night.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)