Hub Not Featured Help

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Kain 360 profile image91
    Kain 360posted 10 years ago

I wrote several hubs recently, but this one did not get featured. I started this thread so I could post the link on here. Original topic -- http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117916#post2486600

http://kain-360.hubpages.com/hub/Grand- … ges-Online

This hub is a little over 700 words. Is this not enough or is there another issue?  I'm pretty sure I had a few other hubs that were about that length and got featured. I got to check, though. They may have been 800+.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would say the biggest weakness is in organization. It's kind of blocky. The paragraphs are all about the same length and there's nothing on the side to break the block feel.

I would guess it's borderline (although in honesty I have a slight bias for game hubs) as it is. Spelling out Grand Theft Auto in the first paragraph would help as well, I'm sure. Break up the right margin somehow.

Just a warning though, it's a very very very saturated subject. I would guess there are at least 5-10 GTA walk-throughs in the hopper every day.

Kain 360posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there is a lot of topics on Grand Theft Auto. But let's just say one of my hubs is doing quite well. smile And I personally own the game and can record and take pictures and use them for my hubs if I wanted to.

I wrote a lot of gaming articles and other misc. on another account before, but apparently my account was "sandboxed" by Google or whatever hubbers called that in the past.

You say organization is my weakness? Is there a reason why it's bad if paragraphs are similar length? I mean would this affect traffic or would it affect a grade on a college paper, for example?

Honestly, when I write I partially play it by ear. I take information I understand and photographically imagine it in my mind. Then of course I reread the paragraphs and sentences to check for any errors or typos.

It's actually quite strange how words just appear in my mind randomly. As a child I never really read books. Was not interested, but did write stories.  It's extremely ironic that I would rather write then read. yikes

I told people that I never read books as a child, really. Perhaps this is why my organization is unconventional or simply may not be as appealing to a reader as much as it potentially could be.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
          MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You know, I have no idea whether it would affect traffic or not smile but it does affect the aestitics, so it's not going to rate as well.

And yes, I've had professors dock work for the paragraphs being all the same length. But then again, my profs were asshats.

It does add to a blocky feel though... and it causes some whitespace issues... (the dreaded wall of text in miniature)

I didn't mind the hub, but like I said I've got a bias that I try to smother... I'm a gamer so I might have rated it a bit higher on content because I know what you are talking about. It's easier to judge substance.

But all the raters are fairly consistent and like I said, I think the hub is right on the borderline, if I had to guess. 

Any suggestion given in this thread might put it over. Likely will.

My final advice is not to try to target keywords.  Which is silly, I know. But raters also pick up on that... many are writers on here smile so it's recognized. 

I didn't notice it, but I'm very tired right now so I'm far less likely to pick up on things.

All this sounds like criticism, it's really not. I like the game, I like the hub. I'm just trying to help. smile

Yes, I have heard in the past that is not good to try and target keywords or use "keyword stuffing." For me, I try and write as naturally as possible, but at the same time make sure there are enough "relevant" keywords in there so the topic will be able to get ranked and get potential traffic.

I edited the article, but only slightly.

And oh yes! Content and substance! Those are things Google can not really judge. For example, a person can have an article about "how to potty train your dog" and they could have great keywords and relevant words, but they could have bad content and substance. Maybe the person said really bad things about how to potty train the dog -- Google would not recognize this, but a reader would! yikes

Thanks! smile

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I would suggest starting with a few sentences explaining what GTA is.  The reviewer of the Hub may not know.  Also spell the name in full in the title.

GTA stands for Grand Theft Auto. The reason why I do not say Grand Theft Auto is because most people (gamers) that search for this topic will often type in GTA in search engines. I do, however, have the full name in the URL.

I also refer to GTA as Grand Theft Auto sometimes in the hub to target both "GTA" and "Grand Theft Auto" keywords.

Maybe it would have been better too spell it out because the reviewer, though like you said? But the title becomes much longer.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The review may or may not be a gamer, and they decide whether to feature the hub.  You could remove "Online allows you to purchase " from the title.

3. Thallia profile image50
    Thalliaposted 10 years ago

Hi Kain, psycheskinner's tips are very helpful.  Yes, most gamers probably use "GTA" for their search, but ultimately it's all about what Hubpages wants because they think that's what the search engines want.  You never know who might find your page; maybe a grandma looking for info about games for the grand kids.

Spelling out the acronym is standard when writing articles or essays. 

If you started with: "Grand Theft Auto V (GTA V) Online allows you to purchase safe houses and garages." it would likely help bump up one of the categories for the quality score, maybe.

You can google for more info on acronym usage, if you want.

The length of the hub is not the issue. 

Have you looked at the learning center for help with the quality issue?  http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Featured-Hubs  and look at those categories http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

"a grandma looking for info about games for the grand kids."

Yes, you actually make a good point about this. I am aware of this, but did not give it much thought at the time. Grand Theft Auto is in the URL, though. Of course a person seeing the title (e.i. grandma) would see GTA and not Grand Theft Auto.

When I write hubs in the future I will use the full title. I just am afraid the titles will become too long. Trying to target as many keywords as possible -- general, specific, and even smaller keyword specific.

4. Cheeky Girl profile image64
    Cheeky Girlposted 10 years ago

Just passing by and I saw this forum.

This is so easily fixed. May I suggest that your Hub title includes both the titles of Grand Theft Auto and the term GTA. Something like "Grand Theft Auto - The Best GTA Arcade Game Ever!" or whatever you wish.

By including both of these choices, you cover all the bases and you also include the arcade game or whatever game metatag word that this kind of hub belongs to.

All your hubs belong to kinds of hubs and you need to make sure it gets indexed by the search engines so that it is easier to find. Anyway, I enjoyed the article and yes, the game utterly rocks! I also recommend spreading your GTA hub url around on Facebook and Twitter and perhaps Pinterest. A few screen grabs would be fun! Don't just write it and expect it here to become a best seller. Come Christmas, people will be looking more at reviews of this game and your traffic will rise.

Ciao!

Thanks.  smile Haha even people on HubPages are playing this game! 

I always thought about sharing my stuff on Facebook, but I always thought it felt awkward because my family and friends are on there.

I'm afraid someone will come on here and start clicking AD links over 9000 times and I will get in trouble (if that's possible).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)