Do You Agree With Oprah, That Atheist Cannot Experience Awe And Wonder

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (31 posts)
  1. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 10 years ago

Diana Nyad is an American author, journalist, motivational speaker, and world record long-distance swimmer.  In 2013, on her fifth attempt....and at age 64, she became the first person confirmed to swim from Cuba to Florida without the protection of a shark cage, swimming from Havana to Key West (110 mi or 180 km).

Here is what happened when she sat down with Oprah.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter … 84013.html

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why is this even news? Surely they could have found something actually newsworthy to waste 600 or so words on.

getitriteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Apparently, it's sparked lots of interest from the media, as it is all over the Net.  Probably because what Oprah said was just so ignorant, harsh, and extremely untrue.

Yeah, my neighbor says things that are harsh, ignorant and untrue as well. No one cares. Why in the world would anyone care what Oprah thinks about their religion or lack there of?

I mean these angry atheists are in no way connected to Oprah, right? Her opinion doesn't affect them personally in any way.

It makes no sense to get upset because someone, somewhere, doesn't think that your lack of religion means the same thing that you think it does. I mean do these people wake up in the morning angry because there are other people in the world that have an opinion of their atheism that some atheists don't agree with?

It's a very big world with lots of people. If you go around getting angry at every single person who you don't know, likely won't ever meet, whose opinion changes absolutely nothing about your life nor does it affect you in any other way than pissing you off because it's different than yours then you'll die without ever being NOT angry...

And you still won't have time to let everyone have a turn at that outrage.

1. Disappearinghead profile image59
            Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think what we are seeing here proves the point being made in Emile's forum topic about atheists v theists. The theists protests that the World is in dire straights from the forces of evil so we must all conform to their opinion that the world might be saved. This OP about Oprah is exactly the same; the atheist protesting that the world needs to be saved from religionists like Oprah and we should all drop this God delusion for the betterment of society.

But then without them forum land would be rather full and boring.

2. peeples profile image93
            peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree 100% Melissa. As an atheist, I really couldn't care any less about what oprah thinks of me. I have never woken up and said " gee let me search for believers who hate me to be mad at". Why would I care what strangers think of me? This was not news worthy at all. Now if oprah came to my door shouting that crap I may care, not likely but maybe.

2. aliasis profile image74
      aliasisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think Oprah is mostly well meaning, but she can be extremely patronizing about religion. Of course she's wrong - if you don't believe in god and don't follow religion, you are an atheist. Religious beliefs have nothing to do with the ability to feel beauty, awe and wonder. As an atheist myself, I can certainly say I'm spiritual and am constantly inspired by the beauty of the world and the universe. Oprah ought to open her mind a bit rather than trodding down one path and expecting her way to be the only way. Nyad, however, expressed herself very beautifully, and hopefully Oprah can take her words to heart, and remember that whether or not we believe in God, the human experience is the same.

Oprah, just as many others, has no idea who the Atheists of the world are...or were.  She probably doesn't know that many people who have been inspired by awe and wonder were Atheists. 

Thomas Edison
        Stephen Hawkings
        Bill Gates
        Mark Zuckerberg
        Mark Twain
        Carl Sagan
        Katherine Hepburn
        Voltaire
        Butterfly McQueen

2. ChristinS profile image38
        ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with you! I am a spiritual person - but I have no belief whatsoever in a Diety.  I am filled with awe and wonder at the process of life all the time.  I watch shows or read about the formation of the universe or about the latest in scientific discovery and it blows me away.  I believe in a human connection between beings and there is no need for religion to have that feeling.  People who are not atheist I think really need to shut up about what it is we believe, feel etc. How can they possibly know? They don't.  Know it alls irk me.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The feelings of beauty, awe and wonder are part of the wonders of the human experience.  Anyone can have and feel awe and wonder while observing, contemplating the beauty of life itself.

I'm currently reading Carl Sagan's Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors.  I tend to agree that the complexity of life's origin is even more awe inspiring when we take away the magic of spoken words.

+1

2. JG11Bravo profile image73
          JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors is a fantastic read, and I'm not even a huge fan of Sagan. Not to say I don't care for his work, I'm just not a HUGE fan.

3. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some Christians look up in the sky, pick a single star, and say it is the most beautiful of them all. That's fine, I have no problem with that, but then some of them turn to an atheist and say how unfortunate it is that an atheist can't experience their beautiful star. Of course the atheist is thinking, what the hell are you talking about, I am the one looking at ALL of them.

Condensing the majesty and awesomeness of the universe down into a fairytale isn't spirituality, it is a comic book. No offense to comic books.

Religion is a self-imposed set of blinders. To walk around with blinders on and suggest others can't see is just plain stupid.

OK... I'm religious. Exactly what is I am wearing blinders to?

1. junkseller profile image78
          junksellerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Anything your religion tells you isn't there, though, I shouldn't have stated that as an absolute. Religion CAN be a set of blinders. Personally, I think it usually is, that doesn't mean it always is, and certainly doesn't mean I am correct.

fair enough smile

4. profile image0
      Deepes Mindposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep.. Oprah is absolutely correct.. Atheists are the most unemotionally incapable of feeling an any awe or wonder human beings on the face of the earth (NOTE TO THE ATHEISTS NOT USED TO DEALING WITH ME: THIS IS SARCASM!!)

It's really interestingly sad that oprah still thinks that she is  relevant enough for anyone to care what she says or does anymore. I have yet to meet any atheist that really cares what any believer thinks of them and Oprah, unfortunately, falls in the category of one of the more vocal believers that give all of us a bad name.

I would do a facepalm, but That doesn't even cover it

Unfortunately, fame and fortune does not nullify ignorance.

1. profile image0
          Deepes Mindposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah i know. But it's those that are the most vocal that mess it up for the rest of us...SMH

5. Josak profile image59
      Josakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am an atheist. I have experienced awe. Therefore no. That wasn't hard tongue

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I honestly don't care what Oprah thinks about it.

I agree with you, but there are many who do care, because Oprah has a cult like status.  IMO it could re-enforce the negative stereotypes of Atheism, and help encourage society to remain in the Dark Ages.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 10 years ago

It's actually the other way round, believers are incapable of experiencing awe and wonder because to them, it's all, "Godunnit". There is no wonder and awe in anything when the believers focus is entirely on their magical sky daddies. Everything else is irrelevant.

Oprah proves it by not even understanding what the other woman is saying.

She also goes on, giving Diana her opinion on what God is, as if her shallow opinion is absolute fact.

1. JG11Bravo profile image73
        JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To a lot of her devotees, Oprah speaks only gospel truth.

4. prajwalpokharel profile image60
    prajwalpokharelposted 10 years ago

that's just absurd ... i  became an athiest ... there has not a significant change to my life.... but well everyone is entitled to their own openion

5. prajwalpokharel profile image60
    prajwalpokharelposted 10 years ago

haha very good answer peeples

6. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

Oprah is an entertainer who has done a bang up job of reading her base audience and playing to them. I wouldn't put any stock in her opinion. If atheists were her core audience the interview would have played differently.

Correct.  And now that she has hooked up with Tyler Perry, who has a demographic that includes the most religious people in the world, it seems to confirm your observation.

7. JG11Bravo profile image73
    JG11Bravoposted 10 years ago

Without getting into the subject of the flaws in organized religion, I think it's absurd to say that atheists cannot comprehend awe and wonder.  As an atheist, I experience awe every time I step outside at night and look up at the sky, as you said.  I see wonder in the machinations of existence from the subatomic level to the limits of the visible universe.  Atheist or religious, take a glance at the Pillars of Creation and tell me what you feel.

Agreed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)