Do joke accounts make HP look bad?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (49 posts)
  1. profile image0
    epsonok0posted 10 years ago

Was wondering what "real" hubbers thought of this. A user on here has a joke account designed to flame another user under the guise of creative writing. So far HP staff agree with it being creative and not harmfull, and will likely shut this thread down. But how does the fact that the joke user is getting traffic make experienced hubbers feel. And since his titles are serious and not a joke, actual visitors come here, are offended and leave. I was just wandering how the idea of joke or phony, flame, accounts make people feel who are trying to do professional work here.I will likely have a joke hub made about me over this. But I want an opinion. I find the users work offensive but funny. I need to know if that is how others feel.

1. HollieT profile image80
      HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think the point of the parody account is to highlight how hubbers who take their work seriously feel when poor quality work passes QAP!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That really did perturb me re: my infamous armadillo adventure. On the other hand, it has already earned me $4.30 on Bubblews. So whoever the mturk was that piddled on it probably did me a favor.

2. profile image0
        epsonok0posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Clucking to loud about true Identity in a hen house is how chickens get eaten by foxes. Just saying.

Enlighten me, are you referring to your accusation that Beth37 is a troll with several identities or my musings about whether you are another hubber and winding us up for fun? I do actually take that back now, the hubber to whom I was referring does, at least, have a good sense of humour and doesn't take everything to heart.

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wait... what? lol... How did I become involved in this? I only have one account. If you can tell by url or isp... or however they locate if an account is coming from the same place, there is no question I have one account here. Im not even sure what Im defending myself of here.

I believe you, just that someone else believes that you might be someone else- if you get my drift. Don't worry about it Beth smile

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To me it's feels the same as discovering profiles online where epsonok0/"Jaty Robertson" sometimes claims to be a woman and sometimes claims to be a gay man, ranging anywhere in age from early 20s to early 30s.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This might explain the gender identity:
        http://www.pinterest.com/epsonok0/guys-i-love/

1. relache profile image72

I wasn't questioning epsonok0's gender, instead indicating how I felt about "the idea of joke or phony, flame, accounts" versus accounts where people are trying to do professional work.

1. Writer Fox profile image32

This is on his profile right now:
            "This account is in the process of being closed by HP staff."

1. relache profile image72

Epsonok0 has to have typed that.  That's not any of the official system messages.

2. Writer Fox profile image32

Deleted

1. profile image0

Gee whiz, I did not need to see that. lol

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.

1. profile image0

lol. For different reasons Im sure.

2. profile image0

Forgot to mention that we will not be mentioning hubber names here.

3. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

"Real" Hubbers have jokes, flames against other Hubbers and serious titles under the guise of forum posts.  People "trying to do professional work" on the forums generally ignore the clowns and the trolls, like the guy who doesn't have his head screwed on straight in his avatar picture.  Yeah, they're funny. The joke's on them.

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 10 years ago

I agree with Hollie. 

Partially the point of the account is to show how low the QAP standards are for "creative writing." And if you read past the username, you'll see that it pokes fun of a lot of types of articles that proliferate here, not just one person and his deep, earth-shattering poetry.  It even made fun of me, which I found absolutely hilarious. You have to have a sense of humor.

1. profile image0
      epsonok0posted 10 years agoin reply to this

agree and a lot is funny. but how you get 5 featured is beyond me. doing it his way.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Another PoeticPerson writes poems of 30 words, rife with unintentional spelling errors and adds a sidebar of bulleted search terms, and these hubs are also featured. 

Yet people who write serious articles will find their articles unfeatured if they don't get enough search traffic.  Does that seem right? You should get mad at the system, not the person pointing out the flaws in the system.

5. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

I can't see that these accounts would get organic search traffic, especially if as the OP claims people would open the page and immediately bounce back to the search results. Google is not going to keep a page that people do not read at the top end of the search results compared to a page that someone actually reads.
    These accounts and pages will not poach traffic from the "serious" writer..... However if it is a parody of "creative writing" I would guess that neither page would get much in the way of organic traffic..

Will not be long before the pages are not featured for lack of engagement.............

I don't understand poetry though... it all reads rubbish to me... I guess i am just lacking an appreciation for art..

6. profile image0

What kills me is the hubber we all are referring too, has 25 simultaneous hubs. So anyone that thinks they dont get organic traffic is wrong. Some hubs have real titles and I found them in google searches. When i report him for stolen images, and improper content, I loose the community help accolade and about 3-10 points on my hub score. I have also been advised by anonymous emails to stop reporting him. Lets play fair if we are going to play. Frankly the fact that staff does not acknowledge this Hubber means some kind of strange deal is going on. The fact that I get threatening emails every time I report him or her, is also a strange thing.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It appears your own account is a sock puppet account.  Why are you so obsessed with this particular hubber?

1. profile image0

me? lol... what is happening. Can I just go back 5 min. before I read this thread and was safe in my oblivion?

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

no, not you. I replied to the OP.

2. HollieT profile image80

Why don't you show some screenshots of the emails that you have received? Surely that would be the way to deal with this when reporting him.

7. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Oh good... ok, then Im gonna slip out the back door.

8. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 10 years ago

I think any random Google user who found those parody hubs would get a good laugh. They are funny on their own, whether you are in on the parody part of it not. Those hubs are much better than the "Indian Aunty" hubs. Some of the aunty hubs hardly have any words at all, and feature nudity. I think "serious" Hubbers find it much more offensive to share a site with those dreadful articles.

Have you ever heard of Shel Silverstein or read Runny Babbit? That book is hilarious, and it is nothing but goofy little rhymes with poor spelling and all kinds of funny innuendo.

One of my hubs was parodied and I got a good laugh out of it.

What is your reason for being so concerned about the parodies, Epsonok0?

9. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 10 years ago

For all your talk of "serious" and "real" writers, epsonok0, I think a much better use of your time would be to proofread your own hubs to fix the spelling, grammar, and style issues.  Give you readers a good experience and don't waste time thinking about someone else's activities.

Or just be a troll and spend all your energy on a sideshow.

10. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

He just deleted the Pinterest page.

11. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

I missed this thread's development. Could someone tell me if I'm reading it right?

1 Epsonok0 said he felt that another hubber was persecuting him (in a roundabout kind of way).

2 WF outed him as gay.

3 A lynch mob assembled and made fun of his beefcake collection

4 Epsonok0 learned his lesson and left.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's high quality stuff.  Far too good for Bubblews of course and a much better use of time.

Remind me how much you guys get paid for this?

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The wages of sin ...

In other words Will, no, you are not reading right.

2. Writer Fox profile image32

No, I responded to Relache who outed the fact that he has a conflicting online presence where he "sometimes claims to be a woman and sometimes claims to be a gay man."  I never said he was gay.  That must be the conclusion you came to from viewing his Pinterest page. Then someone else in a comment on a Hub linked to an online profile on a page listing sex offender arrests. I wondered why you have such a problem getting your facts straight, then I Googled you and found that bubblews post about 'the meanest hubber of all making an apse of himself again.' The comments on that bubble were interesting and insightful.

You need to do a lot better than this.

1. profile image0

This is good enough for Corrie, eh?

I'm going to suggest a new accolade, featuring pitchforks and firebrands.

1. profile image0

You are definitely a supporter of the downtrodden... I can see it in your posts... and you accuse me of being a mother hen. I am going to give you the Mother Hen accolade.
              http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8492114.jpg

Print it out and pin it to your coat. smile

2. relache profile image72

Epsonok0 was the one who first posted and said they sometimes posted as a man and sometimes as a woman, in the "tell us" thread that Beth37 started.  In that thread, the OP is a young woman named Jennifer/Jaty.

And when I did a google search for "epsonok0," I found this profile on mingle2.com, where this person claimed to be a man, looking for other men.  In that profile, the name is still Jaty Robertson but now the person is a man in his early 30s.

In response to the original question (again), I feel exactly the same way about joke or flame profiles as I do about this one/this person.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

"Sorry that user no longer exists"...

1. profile image0

Closed account. So if he/she has others, gone but not forgotten?

The blood spilled should quiet the forums for a while.

1. profile image0

Hush you.

Not every ill can be mothered away with a word or a gesture.

1. profile image0

That would be silly... you need a magic wand.

And from the moment that you realize mommy cannot fix everything, to the moment that you die...

It gets no easier.

1. profile image0

Well that's a happy thought.

4. suzettenaples profile image88
      suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

I just checked your HP account and you no longer exist here on HP.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)